z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Harbingers of Revolution: Quarantine 1.1 - The Oncoming Storm

by Omni


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

LMS Week 1 - 1236 words

Ryun Saito haphazardly chopped an onion as he listened to the weather report coming in from the living room. Once again, he forgot to turn up the volume before starting on dinner. Sighing and wiping his hands onto his "Video Games + Cooking / 'Logical'" apron that Isaiah won from last year's Comic-Con, Ryun sauntered into the living room and turned up the television. He couldn't help thinking how annoyed Isaiah would be if he could see him - not because he was almost cutting himself just to be able to hear what was going on, but because the apron had been a prize from last year's Comic-Con and that made it a collectible or something so Isaiah was always on his back about how it shouldn't even be touch, never mind actually used. Ryun thought that kind of stuff was stupid. What's the use of owning something if you couldn't use it? 

"--Reports of tropical storm Seth indicates it will reach landfall in southern Georgia within a day, and estimated wind speed will become upwards of one hundred miles per hour within the first day of landfall. Cities such as Jacksonville, Florida and Savannah, Georgia should be evacuated immediately."

The screen changed to show a prediction of where the storm would head. Ryun didn't have to wait for the admittedly handsome weather reporter to motion and monologue about the path to know that it was going to crash right into his state within the week. By that time... Ryun didn't even want to think about it, and so he continued chopping the onion, absentmindedly listening to the television and storing the information to ponder on later when he had a chance to calm down. Isaiah would be more than willing to help with that last part.

Ryun grinned sheepishly at the thought. He wouldn't mind that, not at all. Then again...  he could almost hear Isaiah's audible sigh in his mind. Reluctantly, he shoved the thought out of his mind and focused on the onion. At this rate if he kept getting distracted, "dinner" would become "breakfast".

One last line before the commercials started on the weather channel caught Ryun's attention --he really needed to focus on one thing and get it done before the spinach wilted-- and he set the knife down, his brows furrowing.

"If this tropical-storm-future-hurricane does not stop gaining traction when it carves a path through the east coast, it could quickly turn out to be one of the deadliest storms in American history, especially if evacuation numbers were as low as the last hurricane, Hurricane Riana."

Ryun muted the commercials and focused his attention on the onions. I'll be damned if this dinner rots.

~~~

"Dinner" ended up transforming into two omelets, one with spinach and onions, and the other with spinach and sausage, both with a plethora of spices, and topped with a side of roasted asparagus. Personally, Ryun didn't care for --and by didn't care for, he meant vehemently hated and almost voted it for Ryun Public Enemy #1-- experimental vegetables making up the majority of a meal, but Isaiah wanted to be on a health kick, and he had the money to do groceries.

Ryun silently set the small table they got a few months back. It was a splurge, and something Ryun considered an impulse buy, not to mention unnecessary in every sense of the world. With only one of them actually having a job at the moment, any money that they could save, they should.

Of course, Ryun could understand where Isaiah was coming from --to an extent. He wanted their house to actually feel like a home. However they could do that, they should. As it stood, they weren't allowed to hang up any pictures on the walls, unless they got those fancy-schmancy tape-hook things that were utterly ridiculous for the price. They weren't allowed any pets above a freakin' fish (and Ryun guessed that walking fish wasn't a thing) nor any large furniture.

In Ryun's opinion, the whole thing wasn't a "home." It was a stopping place while they both waited for something bigger and better. They were only renting this place, and it's not like it was a place they could both live in comfortably. With only one bedroom, Ryun ended up making the living room his room, and it's not like they could end up living forever in there.

Onto bigger and better things. Ryun sighed as he eyed the clock. Isaiah was late. Again. Not that Ryun minded, he had things to do as well, but at times like these, Ryun hoped Isaiah would come home on time and be surprised. Besides, it's not like a typcial "husband is late from work, wife sits alone at dinner table while wondering if he was cheating on her" situation.

Ryun shook his head at the thought of comparing them to a husband and wife. Thoughts like that would get him nowhere. He unmuted the television while he stored Isaiah's half of dinner in the fridge. Opening his laptop back up, Ryun absentmindedly nibbled on the disgusting asparagus while listening in on the news.

"--iltary efforts are underway to provide safe and unintrustive evacuation efforts along the Chesapeake Bay. Travel Stations have been set up along all major highways for quick shelter, resources, and locations to be relatively safe from the storm. Towns more inland are being occupied by military forces to prepare for the incoming surge of evacuees. The government requests to please open up your home to those fleeing from the storm if you are able."

Ryun frowned. The thought of the military coming into this town and basically taking over? That's not something he was particularly fond of. Nevertheless, what could he do about it besides be vocal and complain during times of need for hundreds of thousands of people? That'd be hella rude to those people who were just looking to avoid the storm.

It didn't matter too much. If the weather channel was right (which, to be fair, they weren't more times than a lot of people realized), then this little modest tourist trap of a town he lived in for the moment would be caught in the brunt of the storm sooner rather than later. The idea of evacuating didn't please Ryun, especially if people were already fleeing here. He didn't want his house to be broken into while he wasn't there. There was a lot of valuable stuff to him here, and no way in hell was he just gonna let people steal that stuff from him.

Ryun sighed and glanced at the clock. Thirty minutes had passed, and Isaiah still wasn't home. He was starting to worry for the man. Perhaps the evacuees were already here, and the traffic on the highway was insane. Or maybe the military drove into town first, and set up shop right outside Isaiah's work. Either way, it's not like him to be--

A knock on the door. Three quick taps. Isaiah usually never knocked. Ryun rushed over and unlocked it. "Y'know, you need to stop losing your keys..." he stopped, too shocked to say anymore. Like a vacuum had sucked out all the moisture from his mouth, he could barely speak. Finally, he managed to blurt out, "You're not Isaiah."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:04 pm
View Likes
Atticus wrote a review...



I'm so sorry the Checklist Challenge made me do it Hi Omni! Tuck here with a review for you today.

He couldn't help thinking how annoyed Isaiah would be if he could see him - not because he was almost cutting himself just to be able to hear what was going on, but because the apron had been a prize from last year's Comic-Con and that made it a collectible or something so Isaiah was always on his back about how it shouldn't even be touch, never mind actually used.
This is far too long to be a single sentence.

Like a vacuum had sucked out all the moisture from his mouth, he could barely speak
I gotta be honest, I don't dig the use of "moisture" in this metaphor. If youo had said "Like a vacuum had sucked all the words from his mouth", I'd find it to be a fitting and appropriate metaphor, but for whatever reason the idea of a vacuum sucking moisture from a mouth kinda grosses me out.

One minor detail that stuck out to me was that Ryun had no issue wiping his hands on the apron -- something that went against Isaiah's wishes -- but sacrificed his diet and cooked and ate vegetables without much resistance. It just seemed a little inconsistent for Ryun to refuse to respect Isaiah's wishes on clothing, and yet go out of his way to accommodate something that is comparably bigger.

I also found it interesting that Ryun expresses some symptoms of anxiety/ADHD throughout this, and yet when he's faced with something that could trigger anxiety, he brushes it off quite easily. Of course, everyone's expression of anxiety is different, but it seemed a little bizarre to me that he isn't concerned at all with the storm. Furthermore, his given excuse is that he doesn't want his dinner to be ruined when he has interrupted the dinner-making process to watch TV.

When all's said and done, I enjoyed the way that Ryun clearly had a lot on his mind and the way you expressed that through the constant distractions. It took half the story for him to chop a single onion, and yet even when he went to turn the TV up, he had trouble paying attention. I definitely saw some anxiety in Ryun, not only in the way that he worries about Isaiah, but in the way he seems continually restless. He seems like the kind of protagonist that I want to shield from the world and constantly protect from the bad things and bad people out there.

However, I'm left with a lot of questions about Ryun and Isaiah's relationship and their living situation, perhaps more than I should have. While I can respect some foreshadowing and leaving the reader wondering about details, particularly since this is a first chapter, it felt that you may have erred too far on the side of concealing information. For example, it's implied that Ryun and Isaiah sleep in different rooms, and yet Ryun is cooking for Isaiah, wearing his clothes, and thinks of him as a husband. I also can't tell if they live in an extreme housing situation or if they just have a strict landlord. Perhaps a few lines clarifying some of these questions, or at least giving the reader some more information, would help draw them into the story more than some vague implications.

I think that wraps up my thoughts! If you have any questions about this review please let me know, and once again, I'm sorry to be digging up such an old work. There aren't a tremendous amount of active users on here who posted works in the month and year I joined (February 2017), so I had to jump on the first chance I got. Anyway, signing off for now.
Image




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hello! So I'm feeling like I don't get to talk to my crew-mates enough and I wanted to make a change to that this month but with RevMo and house mortgage and new boyfriend stuff, it just seems like there's never enough time (plus I love watching stuff on Netflix and have indulged in that way more than I should). What I'm saying is I still owe you a proper hello but until I get my life in order, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone by writing you each a review.

Specifics

1.

Sighing and wiping his hands onto his "Video Games + Cooking / 'Logical'" apron that Isaiah won from last year's Comic-Con (to this day, they still bicker over Ryun actually using the apron, because apparently it was a collectible and shouldn't have been touched or something like that. Ryun never really paid attention to that stuff. What's the use of buying something if you can't use it?), Ryun sauntered into the living and turned up the television so he didn't have to risk cutting himself to actually know what was going on.


So this part is a bit run on but you also switch tenses in the brackets so I think it needs tidying up a bit. Maybe something like:

Sighing and wiping his hands on his "Video Games + Cooking / 'Logical'" apron, Ryun sauntered into the living room and turned up the television. He couldn't help thinking how annoyed Isaiah would be if he could see him - not because he was almost cutting himself just to be able to hear what was going on, but because the apron had been a prize from last year's Comic-Con and that made it a collectible or something so Isaiah was always on his back about how it shouldn't even be touch, never mind actually used. Ryun thought that kind of stuff was stupid. What's the use of owning something if you can't use it?

I'm not sure you need the last two lines but at least if you flip the syntax around like this it will be less clunky?

2.
"--Reports of tropical storm Seth indicates it will reach landfall in southern Georgia within a day, and estimated wind speed will become upwards of 100 [This is dialogue so you should write this out as one-hundred.] miles per hour within the first day of landfall. Cities such as Jacksonville, Florida and Savannah, Georgia should be evacuated immediately."


3.
Isaiah would be more than willing to help with that last part.


4.
One last line before the commercials started on the weather channel caught Ryun's attention --he really needed to focus on one thing and get it done before the spinach wilts wilted-- and he set the knife down, his brows furrowing.


5. It doesn't sound like vegetables are making up the majority of the meal? Like, an omelette is generally more egg and milk than filling? So I found the side note about that a little odd.

6.
With only one of them actually having a job at the moment, any money that they could say save, they should.


7. I love that Ryun is eating the asparagus even those Isaiah can't see him. That's such a human thing to do and tells us a lot about who he is and their relationship.

8.
If the weather channel was right (which, to be fair, they weren't more times than a lot of people realized), then this little modest tourist trap of a town he lived in for the momen will moment would be caught in the brunt of the storm sooner rather than later.


9.
Ryun sighed and glanced at the clock. Thirty minutes had passed, and Isaiah still wasn't hope home.


Overall

I think this is sweet and a nice insight into a character's domestic side/ life. However there are a few too may asides and extra details which really slow the pace down and don't add enough to the story in return. It's great to give us a few details like the apron and the fact that they only have one room in the house but it feels like you're trying to cram too many into this chapter and there's more info-dumping going on than plot advancement.

The switches between the cooking/ eating and what was happening on the TV were good on the other hand and helped to build the atmosphere.

It might be nice to find out a little more about who Autumn is before the chapter ends or at least to get an idea of whether her arrival is a good/ bad surprise and what kind of state she's in since she's just come in from the storm - does she seem disheveled and stressed out or is she cheerful despite the bad weather?

I've not much more to add at this point but feel free to ask me any specific questions you might have and best of luck with this!

~Heather




User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 113
Reviews: 24

Donate
Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm
RossLighting wrote a review...



This was a really good part of the story. I liked the realism in it. Like, in real life, storms and 'wife waiting at home while wondering if he was cheating on her' It shows that you know about normal experiences. I only have two questions? First of all, is Ryun and Isiah gay? Nothing wrong with that, but i'm just curious. Second of all, I didn't get the end part. Like, Isiah comes home and he's really weather beaten, but what does he mean by autumn? Does he mean he thought he was autumn? (Really sorry this is the first part of Harbingers of Revolution I've read)

Anyway though, this is a really good part and keep making more! Keep writing!



-Ross




User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:53 am
View Likes
Megrim wrote a review...



Hi! Excited to read this! I'm like SUPER worried about Isaiah because I don't really recall seeing mention of him on your character list / LMS notes in general :( Don't be dead! I'm very much rooting for them to reunite at the end. Actually that reminds me of a movie I watched while on rotation--I say that because it was someone else's house so I'm not sure I can remember the title. A google search makes me think it's "The Impossible," about a family that got caught up in the tsunami in Thailand and their struggles to survive and find each other (true story).

Anyway, firstly I have to say I LOVE the MC. I'm gathering that he lives in a US town but has Asian heritage (sounds Japanese?), and is in a long-term committed relationship (either daydreaming about getting married in the future but haven't got there relationship-wise, or live in a time when they can't and they're just committed life partners). Because of that, Isaiah had BETTER BE ALIVE sheesh!

Plotwise, I think this chapter sets us up well--it's fairly obvious what to expect, at least in the terms of a weather disaster. The only thing I'd add in is maybe a mention about the virus in Atlanta, which I saw in your notes but nowhere in the chapter. The first chapter is where promises are made and expectations are set up, so if there's a supernatural sort of twist to the story (namely, our MC gaining powers), we ought to get an indicator right away, even if it's only a wayward comment on the tv.

Characterization is really strong. Ryun has a lot of voice and personality, and I already get a feel for how he's different to Isaiah (and yet how they complement each other). I think my biggest complaint is that since we don't know who Autumn is, ending the chapter there is rather underwhelming. It feels like it should pack some sort of punch, but I have NO sense of her importance to Ryun or why we should care that she's at his door.

Setting is probably the most lacking department. There are some good little details here and there (looove the cooking detail), but I think we could do with more sense of the actual physical surroundings. The kitchen, the living room, the town they live in, the time of year. There's a lot of introspection about their apartment, but it's actually quite non-specific, I thought. It wasn't concrete imagery I could picture so much as abstract ideas.

Technique-wise, I think this is the biggest area you could improve--but at the same time, this is LMS and a first draft, so I'm not very worried about it. One comment is that the tense seems to slip around a lot. The narrative is rather stream-of-consciousness, in the negative sense. I LOVE the voice and want you to keep that, and keep the narrative depth it gives you, but I feel like the paragraphs are a little too helter-skelter. They don't have a great focus or flow. Consider exactly what you want each scene (and each paragraph within the scene) to convey and accomplish. In some places, Ryun does a lot of thinking about stuff, in a way that drops a lot of telly exposition on the reader. I think you could replace the outright tells with more subtle shows to paint a stronger picture.

For example, this section:

Of course, Ryun could understand where Isaiah was coming from --to an extent. He wanted their house to actually feel like a home. However they could do that, they should. As it stood, they weren't allowed to hang up any pictures on the walls, unless they got those fancy-schmancy tape-hook things that were utterly ridiculous for the price. They weren't allowed any pets above a freakin' fish (and Ryun guessed that walking fish wasn't a thing) nor any large furniture.

In Ryun's opinion, the whole thing wasn't a "home." It was a stopping place while they both waited for something bigger and better. They were only renting this place, and it's not like it was a place they could both live in comfortably. With only one bedroom, Ryun ended up making the living room his room, and it's not like they could end up living forever in there.


Think about what a "stopping place" apartment would look like--what are the clues that would hint this to you? You walk in, while the occupant is out, and what do you see? Bare walls, empty space, maybe an unpacked box in the corner. Cheap appliances, thrift store furniture. Maybe projects *meant* to be started, but still waiting to be done. A space for something specific that hasn't been filled.

This is what I mean by showing instead of telling. Sure, you can have Ryun think these explanations to us. Or you can have him go about his daily routine, with these clues in the background, and the reader can infer all the subtext even though Ryun doesn't have to focus on it. I find it more helpful to think of telling vs showing as informing vs evoking. In paragraphs where you're "informing" the reader, stop and see if you can evoke the concepts more subtly instead.

Can't wait for the next installment! Cheers and happy writing.




Omni says...


I completely forgot about the virus! Thank you for telling me about that, I do need to comment on it in the next chapter part. I was planning too much on the storm and the characters that I haven't quite yet thought about the virus (although the virus actually haven't gotten spread in Atlanta yet so it might have to wait no matter what)

I completely agree with the weak ending. I didn't quite know how to end it for LMS, and it'd be something I would edit to change it out to something different. I'm hoping Autumn will also be a strong character, but if not then I'll scrap her completely.

I'm glad you found Ryun to be a nice character <3 he's Japanese/Irish descent. Also, I have a hard time with characters in general, so I'm super happy that he actually has a personality.

I agree with the whole "showing not telling" and that's something I will definitely work on while editing.

Regarding Isaiah and their relationship, I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm glad you are feeling for him even though you haven't met him yet. I kind of want to keep that feeling for this character you haven't met, and I don't know for how long yet XD

Thank you so much for reviewing though! (I was kinda scared you would hate it because it's so so bad) You have wonderful advice <3



Megrim says...


:D Thank you. Or you're welcome? One of those!




Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf