Home » Literary works » Short Story » Romantic

I've Seen It

by Vil

"To be a monarch is to follow God's most sacred mission of gracing and dignifying the earth. To be a noble or a monarch is to give the people an ideal to strive for and to bring forth hope and honor in their every day lives."

The words sound in my head once more. I remember the words of cousin Edwin when he spoke to the press after Uncle Rory died when the plague came. And he repeated them when Uncle Peter died. But Mum wouldn't take the throne, and she refused to believe that Mike, or Davis, or I were destined for it. And at times, it makes me upset that she didn't because I think that so much could have been avoided had she just played as a faithful daughter and met what her country expected her to do.

But moments later, I always remember the press photos of cousin Vil laying beside Uncle David and Grandmama, dying in the rubble of an attack from a Thiran terrorist and I miss him and hate that I dared to think such a thing.

I know that she's only ever wanted to keep us safe, protect us, but she's gone now, just like Papa. The bombs took her, and the earth took him. I still don't know why I never heard them, the voices of the woods, was never tempted by their lies, their deceit. Sometimes, though, I wonder if it was a mercy on the ones that died in the bombs or were taken by the voices. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But I know that I'm meant to be here. I know my destiny. I've seen it.

Tonight, like every other night, I'm here by the cliff's edge to meet someone that's more than a friend. Humboldt Gilmore is the kindest, most, most loving guy I've ever known. Each night, he holds me, brushes back my hair, whispers in my ear that it's going to be okay. I've told him what I've seen, what I know, and he wants to be there with me, every step of the way.

I haven't told anyone, but I have the Sight. My namesake told me that when we were in the Lair, and she tried to comfort me after I mournfully lamented the ones we'd lost, the ones we'd failed to save. And I'd known it already by then and hadn't told a soul. I'm afraid to tell anyone because I don't want to be used like they've used people with the Sight before. Taken advantage of them. Forced them to see and prophesy (with an eye sound). They've done it before. With Phineas, with my ancestors, with other famous seers. But I don't want to be like them. I don't want to be famous.

But, really, I don't have a choice.

I'll be queen one day, whether I like it or not. My brothers would destroy our family. My cousins cannot keep up with the workload. My adopted aunt and uncles aren't Dragonhearts and would be stopped at every step. And Lamarr... After Grandfather and Grandmama pass, he will keep to himself for many years. We'll see him, of course, but the world will forget about him in time, and he will be reluctant to leave his shell.

I look out over the valley, at what we've built, at how far we've come. I see the houses of stone and wood and clay with thatched rooves, the great oaks, birches, sycamores, and willows growing in the beyond. The river flows peacefully to the west, the first stars already twinkling in its cool blue waters. Patches of moss litter the mountainside as I look for Humboldt, waiting for him to leave his small home with the Stiltons and come to me with his lantern. I've brought bread, cheese, and a little cold chicken and wine as I always do, and he'll bring a blanket and two pillows. And we'll rest here on the cliff, high above the valley floor, unbothered.

I wish we could stay there forever sometimes. It's the closest we could ever get to a date, really, since there's no way to really go into the cities anymore. Not yet, at least. I know things will change, I've seen that, too. Grandfather will again sit on his throne, his kingdom stretching over all of the earth. He will, over time, start to split his kingdom up again and put the lands into the care of good, strong people, people that can be trusted to do what is right for both their nations and he world.

Even if politics seem to become hateful or harsh once more, there won't be another war until after I'm gone, and my children's children are gone. The world will be at peace for many years and it will be careful and cautious before any wars break out. The rules will be different a hundred years from now, and never again will the nigh on apocalyptic state of our people be seen again until we leave this world for another one, a world that I think will be better off than this one as we would know how to care for it.

I think about cousin Edward's words again and try to understand what he meant. If to be a monarch is a gift from God to the people, I will do my best to carry out my duties-- not as a queen, nor as an overlord, but as a servant of God. I will be a servant and advisor to my people when the time comes, and if the people look up to me, let it be because they think I am a good person and not because they think I'm "all of that and more."

It's my hope, my dream, my prayer that I will leave this world better than it was when I came into it. That my children, and my children's children will do the same. That they will learn from my mistakes, and from the mistakes of my ancestors. That they will make this world a greater, safer, nobler world. I don't know if that will happen. I haven't seen it yet. But I know that Humboldt and I will be happy together because I have seen that.

I've seen a lot of things, or my name is not Sinestra Whitestar-Dragonheart. And I know I'll see a lot more.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:57 am
ChrisDixon wrote a review...

Here to conquer your words! And polish your thoughts!
Hello, I'm here for a pizza delivery of REVIEWS! I'm very excited, your story was well written and I love the mature inside this story. I truly like how you narrative this story. I never read any of your writings Vin! This is something new in my life...And I just came to deliver you a Grammar Pizza because I can't find anything else that's tastier for a writer like you!

So here we go~
Let's taste the food!

I know that she's only ever wanted to keep us safe, protect us, but she's gone now, just like Papa. The bombs took her, and the earth took him. I still don't know why I never heard them, the voices of the woods, was never tempted by their lies, their deceit.

You don't necessarily need a pickle of comma here!
It's by your choice but it might taste better without the Comma Pickle.

I know that she's only ever wanted to keep us safe, protect us, but she's gone now, just like Papa. The bombs took her, and the earth took him. I still don't know why I never heard them, the voices of the woods was never tempted by their lies, their deceit.

You need to change "was" to "were". It's the woods and the voices of the woods, it's talking about more than one thing!

And I'd known it already by then and hadn't told a soul. I'm afraid to tell anyone because I don't want to be used like they've used people with the Sight before. Taken advantage of them. Forced them to see and prophesy (with an eye sound).

You don't need Tomatoes Sauce of "the" here! So to say you don't need "the" before "Sight". No necessarily, in my opinion.

It's my hope, my dream, my prayer that I will leave this world better than it was when I came into it. That my children, and my children's children will do the same. That they will learn from my mistakes, and from the mistakes of my ancestors. That they will make this world a greater, safer, nobler world.

You don't need a comma after "That my children"
You could use "grandchildren" instead of "children's children", just a suggestion.

Grandfather will again sit on his throne, his kingdom stretching over all of the earth. He will, over time, start to split his kingdom up again and put the lands into the care of good, strong people, people that can be trusted to do what is right for both their nations and he world.

Isn't "he world" supposed to be "the world"?

The rules will be different a hundred years from now, and never again will the nigh on apocalyptic state of our people be seen again until we leave this world for another one, a world that I think will be better off than this one as we would know how to care for it.

In my opinion you might need "the" before "apocalyptic".

BONUS
Okay, I noticed another thing after the Grammar Pizza.

This part "destroy our family" is quite confusing here....I thought they aren't evil, are they?

Over the my thoughts, I love reading this and I think it was really, really a beautiful writings.

Would love to read more of your writings!

Your Delivery,
Chris from PIZZA OF REVIEW!

Vil says...

That comma was needed, I think, to clarify meaning :P

I call I the Sight as a personal preference. :P

No, her brothers aren't evil, just extremely bad leaders and more than a little rude.

Thanks for the review! <3

ChrisDixon says...

Thank you for the explanation. You're welcome!

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:08 pm
ShadowQueen wrote a review...

Hey! I liked the narrative of the story and the mature, thoughtful tone of Sinny. This might be a little hard, but I'll give it a try.

[/quote]Tonight, like every other night, I'm here by the cliff's edge to meet someone that's more than a friend. Humboldt Gilmore is the kindest, most, most loving guy I've ever known. Each night, he holds me, brushes back my hair, whispers in my ear that it's going to be okay. I've told him what I've seen, what I know, and he wants to be there with me, every step of the way.[/quote]

I would like to see a bit of information about Humboldt anymore. How did the two of them meet? What was it that made them fall for each other? Was it love at first sight? Does anyone know about them? If not, is she planning to tell someone anytime soon?

I'm also curious about what the reaction would be. Would this relationship be approved of by the rest of the family?

Anyway, this raises a lot of questions that could have been answered in there.

Saying "destroy our family" is a very bold statement there. It's not the best to just say that with no explanation for why they would, because we don't know how they would do that (they're not evil) and it's rather confusing. It also comes off as rather harsh and critical of her brothers. The whole paragraph kind of sounds like "This is why I would be so much better than everyone else at being Queen. I've got to take the job because I'm most competent and no one else even comes close." Which is a bit... condescending and not very humble. Unless you want her to sound that way, I would consider rewording this so it doesn't sound like she thinks she's superior to the rest of the family, as I don't think that's what you intended.

Patches of moss litter the mountainside as I look for Humboldt, waiting for him to leave his small home with the Stiltons and come to me with his lantern. I've brought bread, cheese, and a little cold chicken and wine as I always do, and he'll bring a blanket and two pillows. And we'll rest here on the cliff, high above the valley floor, unbothered.

Wine? She's 20, which is a little below the drinking age. Is she that much of a rule-breaker suddenly?

That's what I found to bring up. I hope these thoughts were helpful for you!

- Shadow

Vil says...

Drinking age in Belecthoria/Meretica is actually 17 :P

Thanks for the review! <3

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman