America Gone - Chapter Nine

by Riverlight

November 18, 2019

Jackson, Capitol County

Grandpa McHale couldn’t stop himself from smiling. “Emma, you mean to tell me that this fella tried to grab you and now he’s got a broken nose?” he laughed.

Serious, Emma nodded. “I warned him, Grandpa, but that Cajun just didn’t understand that I was thirty years younger than him. He’s lucky he wasn’t caned like that other guy.”

“Forgive me sweetheart,” he said, still smiling. “It’s not funny, but it is. You were only in Beaumont for a day, and not only did you convince Texas to join us, but you broke the nose of their Secretary of Defense.”

Emma smirked. “It was fun.”

“I’m sure it was,” he cackled in reply. Standing up, he made for the bar. “Now, tell me… Have y’all heard the other bit of good news?”

“Nope,” answered Austin. “None.”

Grandpa poured himself and Ginger some whiskey, handing his colleague a rather full glass. “Kentucky’s joinin’ up with us, too, and the Rednecks are talkin’ about it. Because of the work you three did, we’re assemblin’ a proper Congress, and one old man is about to be named President pro tempore.”

“It’s the best news we’ve had in a while, isn’t it, William?” Ginger said kindly after taking a few sips. “I’ll bet you we get Virginia next.”

Grandpa McHale shook his head. “We’re gonna try for the Coastal States first, and then we’re gonna see what Canada knows. According to the Floridan governor-- she leads the Coastal States-- Michigan and Winsconsin created a new government run by their governors. If we can get those two to join us, then we can push the fascists out of Illinois.”

“When did they push into Illinois?” Ginger asked.

“We just learned about it yesterday. Smith knew for two weeks, but it was leaked by Wilkes.”

"Is it just Illinois?" Austin asked.

Grandpa McHale nodded. "Yeah, just Illinois. Their hold there isn't too strong, though, so we're reorganizing our standing army."

"So, why not go after Virginia?" Emma asked. "They have a fully trained general keeping martial law and a standing army."

"Because his loyalty is with Virginia and Virginia alone," her grandfather answered. "We need someone that can serve the whole nation..."

“And who would that be?” Ginger asked.

“Do you remember Winthrop Davis?”

Ginger nodded. “He was Lieutenant Governor a few years back. Why?”

“His son, Gideon, is the perfect choice. When the bombs hit, he was due for a promotion from Lieutenant Colonel to Colonel. He’s got the right stuff to lead our army.”

“We have an army?” Emma asked. “I’ve not seen it.”

“That’s because it’s been split between Memphis, Martin, and the rest of the state,” Ginger said before returning to Grandpa McHale. “How old is he?”

“Just over forty.”

“That’s young, William.”

“He’s the right choice, Ginger,” the Senator replied. “I know he is. If I didn’t think he was, then I’d be leading the army, you know that.”

Ginger sighed and nodded. She stood, handing her glass back to Grandpa McHale. “I have to get ready for Smith’s meeting with the Texas and Kentucky delegations. You should get ready, too, William. You have a meeting after I do.” And with that, she strode from the room.

The old man shook his head. “She’ll see I’m right,” he said to himself. “All right, kids, I’ve got you both a present. Emma, on your bed is a set of water paints and brushes. I remembered that before the war, you liked to paint. Austin--”

“I don’t need anything,” his grandson said quickly.

“--I got you an internship at the Capitol Building with the junior Senator from Kentucky.”

“I-- what?

Grandpa McHale smirked. “I got you a paid internship with Senator Esa Schwartz. Thirty dollars a day, four days a week. That's $120 a week.”

Austin was wide-eyed for several moments, not sure how to respond. “I- when do I start?”

“Today, after lunch with the Senators. You, me, and those bozos.”

There was a long pause, and then Emma asked, “Since when are we able to print money?”

“We don’t,” her grandfather answered. “We’ll pay him roughly that much in food, clothing, and ammunition. Consider it a late birthday and Christmas present.”

Austin smirked. “Does that mean I should get paid six times as much as all the other interns?”

Grandpa McHale smiled. “...yes, but I’ll make sure Schwartz pays for it instead of me.”

__________________________________

In addition to Senator Schwartz, Grandpa McHale, and Austin, Senator McCloy, Edwin Hayes of Kentucky, and Juanita Flores and Isaiah Hurt of Texas also joined them. There were a few other interns, but no one else brought any members of their family.

“I think the first piece of business we need to discuss before anything else is choosing a majority leader,” Senator Hayes said, thick handlebar mustache covering his upper lip like moss on a tree. He raised a glass of tea to his lips after adding a little sugar from a bowl.

“I happen to agree,” Grandpa McHale said. “As the most senior Republican--”

“Are we keeping the old parties alive?” Flores interrupted. “It was my understanding that excluding what we believed before the war, parties were nothing more than old identities.

“Then you don’t want to be a Republican any longer?” questioned Hayes.

“The old two-party system is dead,” Esa stated firmly, stopping Flores from answering. “I may still have my Rockefeller Republican beliefs, but I’m not going to be a part of the Republican Party any longer.”

“She’s right,” McCloy agreed. “I’ve spoken to the President, and he doesn’t think that the Republican and Democratic Parties should exist anymore. He prefers being an independent to confining himself to one of the two parties.”

“Then am I outvoted from the get go?” Grandpa McHale asked. “What about you, Mr. Hurt?”

“I… will not take a position on such a matter immediately. I’ll need some time to think,” the African American answered slowly. “There are still a lot of people that identify as either Democrats or Republicans. To take that identity away from them…”

There was an awkward pause. Then, Hayes said, “First and foremost, we are Americans, regardless of our political beliefs. I’ll talk to our two representatives, and we’ll mull it over. But no matter what agreement we come to, Mr. McHale, I think that you need to be our President pro tempore and our leader in the Senate.”

“I second that,” Esa said quickly.

“I want Mrs. McCloy to do it,” Hurt said. “She supports the president. I don’t mean you any disrespect, Mr. McHale, but I don’t think you do.”

The group of Senators and interns looked at McCloy and Flores.

“I support the President, and if he supports McCloy, so shall I,” Flores declared. “Regardless of party.”

“Then I’ll speak to Smith later today,” McCloy replied.

Austin looked at Grandpa McHale, who was looking at Hayes. “Mr. Hayes, Mrs. Schwartz… I recommend we move to another table.”

The three all stood, their interns following. A moment later, Austin joined them, watching as McCloy glared at his grandfather. “Country over party my foot,” she muttered.

Once the others were reseated, Grandpa McHale looked at the two Kentucky Senators. “Thank you both for your support. Esa-- may I call you Esa?”

“If I can call you William,” she replied.

“Well, then, Esa, Ed, thank you both for your support. I hope that you're ready for two things to happen.”

“What is that?” Esa asked.

“Well, for one,” the old Tennessean began, “we’re going to be yelled at by Percy Evans for splitting the Senate. For two, we’re gonna have to find two people that agree with us on… whatever we choose to champion.”

Hayes grinned. “We’re living history, aren’t we, Mr. McHale?”

“Yes, Mr. Senator. We are.”

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 am

Hi! MORE REVIEWS. MORE.

First Impression: Umm so this was a nice direction to take the chapter in. I can see some conflict maybe coming our way finally. The plot is continuing to progress pretty well. The one things is that there are so many characters in that last meeting that I don't think I will be able to remember. So far only Grandpa McHale and to a smaller extent Ginger is easy to recognize in this chapter. So think about that a bit.

Well that does sound hilarious.

Yes I approve of this system.

Wow that does sound like she made Grandpa proud.

Hmm...suspiciously easy all that happens. The plan is coming to fruition almost too smoothly. I suspect future foul play.

Okay that seems like it was intended for us. I mean wouldn't she have been informed of such things immediately upon arrival or at least that's the understanding I have. Correct moi If I'm wrong

But shouldn't you still be able to see it? Just saying.

Well that explains 'cause I was about to fire off a "HOW DID MONEY APPEAR?"

Kind of a large namelist. I'm going to need a notebook to keep track of all of these now.

Well that I can agree with. The rest I have no idea what they mean

Finally something throws a wrench into the plans.

Well he at least was going to open with that which is nice.

"Yes, Mr. Senator. We are.”

Isn't everyone always living history....sorry nitpick mode was activated.

Overall: Overall this was pretty nicely done as always. I do think the setting for that last bit is a bit under-described. It could use a couple more things to help us see where each person is in relation to the other especially when there are so many characters in here. Anyway that's just a little thing to keep in mind. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Riverlight says...

AAAHHH

I was caught off-guard with the use of my banner! XD Thank you!

I'm glad you liked this Chapter. Whether he wants to or not, Grandpa's gonna start causing problems!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!
It's really cool...and I used it in a bunch of reviews today.
Ah lol...of course he is. :D

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:54 am
Stringbean wrote a review...

Hey Vil! I'm finally getting to this xD

Once again, I like what you've got! The story's moving along nicely and I'm seeing more development in the character relationships. So to some specifics that I think you could work on to revise this chapter...

1.
First, it's hard for me to keep new/non-central characters straight, not just in this chapter, but pretty consistently actually through all of them. It's not until after they've become pretty plot relevant and I've seen them a lot and can associate them with specific events or something that they start becoming clear and distinct in my head.

I think if you could work out a way to make the important people stand out better from the start (when they are first introduced), it'd be a lot easier for you reader to follow what's going on, and probably they'd enjoy the story more. One quick and easy way I know of to do this is to try adding small idiosyncrasies to "tag" the characters-- little things they do or say, small habits they have, something unique or unusual about their appearance that the reader can visualize and recognize when the character comes up again and throughout a scene. It's really about imagery and characterization I think.

Also important about this-- less is more. If a character has one good idiosyncrasy to tag them, that's all the reader needs to latch onto and keep that character sorted. Charles Dickens, if you're familiar with his writing style, is a great example of an author using this technique. ...Maybe a kind of extreme example, but at least it's a clear one xD

2.
I think one of your strong suits is dialogue. In this chapter especially, it strikes me as being very natural and believable, having a nice flow while maintaining relevance and interest. It keeps up a nice pace, in the first part especially.

My one issue with the dialogue in the second part is that there are several speakers, many of whom I don't feel familiar with, and so it's hard to keep track of who's who and how what they all say is connected, the interpersonal dynamics I mean. It also inhibits my understanding of the political plot since it's hard to keep track of who, say, Hayes is politically, and so I lack context in the moment to frame his remarks in-- I'd have to go back repeatedly throughout the conversation to that bit where you introduced them all, which is cumbersome and confusing.

Really though, I think this is just another place where tagging the characters like I suggested in the last point would help tremendously, so it's not about the dialogue itself really.

3.
Nice flow from the first scene to the second. It's a short, to-the-point transition, which matches the pacing of the dialogue. The first scene ends nicely. I like that the second picks up with Schwartz being mentioned, which is where the first scene left off-- helps the flow, connectivity.

4.
Alright, my last point really applies to your writing in general as well and regards the lack of setting. Your writing is heavily dialogue based, which is completely fine and has lots of strong points, some of which I've pointed out. However, there's almost no setting description given here, which leaves me kind of ungrounded. I have no idea where these people are at except that they are indoors. Maybe a restaurant in the second scene-- there's the mention of moving to another table.

It doesn't have to be a lot. And actually I think it would read better if it was only as much as is necessary, that way the pacing of your dialogue isn't interrupted too much. So, just basics like what sort of place/room they are in, alone, in public, maybe a touch to help set the mood through the setting... Whatever you think you need really. Again, probably less is more here.

So, setting and character tagging are the main two things I think you could work on here, and throughout your fiction writing really.

Nice job here overall!
(Now I've got points, eeee! I can post so you can get points! XDD)

-Stringbean

Riverlight says...

Yay!

(Plan is in the works XD)

You know that my setting skills are absolutely awful! That's always been your strong point XD

I'm working on setting. Especially w/ Chapter 14. Gosh, I've hated writing Ch. 14 XD

It takes me a hot second to work out some idiosyncrasies. I just...
Let's put it this way-- there can only be one Frederic, just as there can only be one Carolina.

Stringbean says...

XDD

Yeah, I don't really know a good way to help with that. Like for me it just kind of comes out naturally, but, like you said, I'm pretty focused on setting and to me, character motions and stuff kind of fall into that, into imagery. So I don't know, maybe if you just played around with it, wrote a few bits where you intentionally over-do it, it might come out and you'd have something more concrete to work with?

Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:37 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Finally getting around to reviewing this xD

I've seen your wall posts and such on how much thinking and planning you've put into this, and it's pretty amazing. The way you've structured your government and your notes on it are so well-detailed and thorough. I feel like you've planned every single aspect down to the tiniest thing, and I really admire that. It's amazing how much planning has gone into this!

“It’s not funny, but it is. You were only in Beaumont for a day, and not only did you convince Texas to join us, but you broke the nose of their Secretary of Defense.”

Wow haha xD

“He’s the right choice, Ginger,” the Senator replied.

I looked it up to confirm, and I don't think you need to capitalize "senator"

:o (same thing here with senator)

Senator Hayes said, thick handlebar mustache covering his upper lip like moss on a tree.

Cool description!

“Well, for one,” the old Tennessean began,

You use a lot of names to refer to Grandpa McHale in dialogue. I like how you vary things up, but sometimes it get s bit confusing. You refer to him with so many names that I get a bit confused. I like how you vary his name, but I think it would be good to not have so many other names for him. Like here, I don't really think "the old Tennessean" fits. Of course, if you don't agree with this part, that's totally cool! But generally, I think you could just stick to his name :)

This chapter has a whole bunch of dialogue, which I don't mind at all! It makes this a quick and easy read. If you wanted to balance it out so it's not as dialogue-heavy, you could add more descriptions throughout this piece. You could describe the place/setting more, give more facial expressions, or talk about the atmosphere or mood of the place. I think that would help balance it out a bit more. No worries if you don't agree!

This chapter seems very technical (I can't think of a better word) in terms of government and all that good stuff. It's clear how well thought out this novel is. I think adding more descriptions can help those who aren't that into government related stuff or just don't get it. That was just another thought I had while reading :)

One last thing I wanted to mention

November 18, 2019

Jackson, Capitol County

You used to center and italicize the date. I realized for this and the last chapter you didn't do that. Is there a particular reason? Have you decided to switch the format? If so, I recommend changing them all so they are all in the same format!

And that's it! I don't have much to say about this chapter since it was mostly dialogue, but I really enjoyed it! I love seeing your wall posts about this, and I can't wait to read more from you. I hope this helped! :D

Riverlight says...

I'm still trying to figure out which formats I like. Once I've settled on one, I intend to go back and redo the formatting for all of them.

I'm glad you like my worldbuilding! My room is covered in sticky notes related to this story, so... XD

Yeah, sorry about capitalizing "Senator"! XD I'm used o seeing it capitalized while congressperson and representative stay lower-cased.

I try to vary McHale's names because he just talks so much-- way more than I had originally intended him to. I've accidentally turned him into my main protagonist. Had you seen some of my earlier ideas and chapter drafts from months/years ago, you would not believe that it was the same Grandpa McHale.

Thank you for your review!

Stringbean says...

Wait, you've been working on this for years?! ;-;

Riverlight says...

The basis of the idea, yeah! Smith didn't start out as the "Let's kick him out of office" guy! XDD

Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
— Pablo Picasso