America Gone - Chapter Five

by Riverlight

New Characters:

Commissioner Oliver Daniels

__________________________________

November 8, 2019

to November 9, 2019

Three Years After the Bombs Fell

Loxley looked back at the Mounties that had escorted him to the US/Canada border, the cool air bothering his eyes. His fur coat was doing enough to protect him from the light snow, but it still felt freezing to him.

One of the Mounties nodded encouragingly to the former foreign minister, saying, "Good luck, sir."

Loxley mouthed a thank you before turning to face the south. Slowly, he started his way down the icy asphalt, towards Seattle. He looked at the Peace Arch as he passed it, remembering that PM Wollenscroft had required the American and Canadian flags here to be replaced with a green one and a blue one-- hope and sadness.

Loxley thought about all the lives lost in other parts of America compared to the Great Northwest. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana had escaped direct nuclear harm, though some had died from radiation in other states and, according to refugees that had escaped with their lives, some survivors were affected "uniquely" by the radiation.

He pulled his arms a little closer together, gloved hands wrapped around his body. Was this normal in the west, or was the colder temperature an effect of nuclear detonation?

The minutes passed slowly as he continued along, walking for what felt like years until he came to the small town of Eriesburg, a little fishing town on the West Coast.

It was then that darkness took him.

__________________________________

Loxley awoke, a pain in the back of his head eating at him. His drowsy eyes were still dark, though slivers of light were visible.

“Where am I?” he asked weakly.

“Quiet,” an American woman answered discreetly . “Stay quiet. They’ll hear you.”

It was then that Loxley realized he was blindfolded, though it was not particularly well done. A few minutes ticked by, and there was a BANG.

“Wake up!” a man yelled. “Rise and shine, curfew breakers!”

There was a sound of shuffling feet, gasps and yawns. Then, the blindfold suddenly came off of Loxley’s face.

“On your feet!”

The poor Brit squeezed his eyes shut, blinded by the sudden rush of total light. He slid up against a wall, arms shaking, breathing quickly.

“It’s your turn for interrogation,” the man snapped, grabbing Loxley’s arm. As he was being pulled away, Loxley let off a quiet but frightened squeak.

A few moments later, he was out of a cell and in a room that was empty, save for a table and a handful of chairs. Another man came in moments later with a pitcher of water and some cups.

“Drink,” the first man commanded.

Without saying a word, Loxley obeyed, pouring water into a cup and quickly slurping it down.

“What’s your name?”

“B-b-beaureg-gard L-loxley,” he stammered.

“Where are you from?”

“Oxford.”

“Mississippi?”

“England,” the Brit answered quickly.

“Then tell me, Mr. Loxley,” the man said, leaning into the poor prisoner’s face. “What are you doing in America?”

“V-vacationing,” he lied.

“Passport?”

“L-left it at the motel in-- Seattle.”

The officer sat back. “I’m Oliver Daniels, Commissioner of the First Territory’s Police Force. Are you white or of another race?”

“I’m w-white, sir.”

“Any Jewish ancestry?”

“N-no,” he lied. Please, please, please don’t let him ask about my great-great-grandmother, he prayed.

“Non-white relatives?”

“No,” Loxley answered, this time somewhat relieved that he could answer without lying.

“Sexuality?”

“Asexual.”

“Disabilities?”

“A st-stutter caused by a brain surgery several years ago, b-b-but it d-doesn’t affect my m-mental stability or anything else.”

Daniels eyed Loxley closely. “Relatives with blonde hair?”

“It d-doesn’t run in th-the family.”

“Blue eyes?”

“They were bluer when I was younger.”

The Commissioner looked to the second officer that had walked in. “Toss him on the truck with the others. I’m sure he’ll fetch a good price on the market.” He turned back to Loxley. “He might even be worth more than a Jew.”

Loxley’s eyes widened, and then the other officer took his arm, pulling Loxley away. The last thing he saw was Daniels saying “Next,” and the woman that had told him to stay quiet being dragged into the room. Had he seen the Star of David tattoo on her neck, he would have known that he would never see her again.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:57 am

Hi! I'm finally getting around to these. Expect a barrage of review notifications!!

First Impression: Hmm this is an interesting direction to be taking this in. Starting things off on the side of the main antagonist I think. Definitely a lot of mystery as to who's doing what and why here and that's good to see. Poor Loxley never knew what was in store for him.

Pretty neat little establishing shot to get things going. Definitely a nice little touch there.

Lovely bit of imagery there.

It's called a nuclear winter....Professor Harry with some science for you...

It was then that darkness took him.

Umm juicy little jumpscare moment there. Pretty good, really sudden but not too disorienting which is always nice.

Don't the quiet needs to be repeated. Maybe replace the first one with a "shhh" or just get rid of the second stay quiet.

"It’s your turn for interrogation,” the man snapped, grabbing Loxley’s arm. As he was being pulled away, Loxley let off a quiet but frightened squeak.

This part made me laugh far more than it should have.

Would he really just obey orders like that? I mean for all he knows that could be poisoned. Isn't he going to put even a little bit of a fuss?

I see we are getting to the meat of this conflict now as we are introduced to our antagonists.

“It d-doesn’t run in th-the family.”

Wait a why did the stutter only appear at that point...did he fake that? Or was it so long since I read the previous that forgot about a stutter that he had.

Well that is certainly a very ominous sounding ending that you've got there. Very interesting to see what ends up happening to this Loxley fellow.

Overall: Okay so this was a pretty good chapter. We learn more about Loxley and got introduced to some villains. This should get pretty interesting as we learn more about their Vilnius deeds...umm I mean villainous deeds. I like where this is going so far. Let's see what goes down in the coming chapters.

Riverlight says...

Psst... I love puns... tend to do one with right/write sometimes... :P

Thanks for your awesome review! I added the stutter not too long after posting Ch 3, but I really think it adds to his character.

KateHardy says...

Ohhh puns...*makes a note for future reference*
You're Welcome!!
Ahh cool...it does add to his character

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:41 pm
Stringbean wrote a review...

Hey! c:

I've read all your chapters so far and I think this is really coming along! I think I can do a better overall review of them all together right now than each chapter individually.

I think overall, by the time we get to this chapter, the characters are becoming more alive and distinct, and things feel like they are coming together a little bit more. In the first two or three chapters and the prologue, it's a little difficult for me to distinguish Austin, Emma, and-- shoot... Their younger sister whose name I am blanking on but it starts with an A ;-;
So early on, I think some more work on characterization would help improve the story. Grandpa McHail seems the most well developed lol, but I actually think Loxley here is a close second. For some reason I really like him.

For Austin, I guess I'm a little uncertain about his character function. He seemed like the main character at first with the story being primarily in his perspective, but it hasn't been much since then, and he doesn't seem very important to the plot yet, even though we keep coming back to him in mention, like with him being present at the meeting with McHail and Smith. Right now, I'm not sure if this is primarily his story or Grandpa McHail's. Austin seems kind of just along for the ride.

Plot stuff....

I'm curious about this stuff with the fascists in the west. It comes up consistently in I think about every chapter, which helps tie the chapters together and make it something the reader focuses on. I like the mysterious leader too-- it helps keep my interest and make me wonder why this leader is a secret and who it is. That makes this chapter exciting too because it's the first glimpse we get at the inside of this fascist group. And now I'm scared about Luxley ;-;
Right now it feels like the fascist problem/concern is the main antagonistic force of the story.

Some of the other stuff like the mapping and who's in charge of what is a little hard for me to follow (but I always have trouble with that kind of thing without a visual, so it might just be me xD).

This is really neat and you're doing great! I'll be watching for the next chapters c:
-Stringbean

Riverlight says...

Sister is Abby-- she's not important yet. Austin, McHale, Loxley, Emma, and Ginger are my intended main characters, but we both know what happens when I intend to do something in writing

I'll work on a leader visual!!! Somewhere on my wall, there's a handful of Imgur links of USA maps. One's current America, one's an updated current America including western "territories", and the last one is my goal.

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:03 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there! I haven't read previous chapters, but I saw this in the Green Room and decided to review :D
Ooh, this chapter was quite interesting! The first thing I noticed is that your grammar is pretty great xD This was a more enjoyable read because of that. You have a good number of descriptions, and your dialogue feels smooth and flows naturally. You also seem to have a good, solid plot. Overall, this was pretty well written! Since this chapter is short, my review will be short as well and will probably be a bit nitpicky xD

New Characters:

Commissioner Oliver Daniels

Are you keeping this list for you to reference or for the reader? I personally wouldn't have it because it might "spoil" things in a way, or it can seem unprofessional to others, but this is totally your choice; there's nothing wrong with it!

US/Canada border

This is really nitpicky. but I think it would appear more professional if you wrote it like "Canada–United States border" or "Canada-U.S. border" sorry for being nitpicky xD

Loxley mouthed a thank you before turning to face the south.

Are you saying the south as a region, or are you just facing the direction south? If you're talking about it as a region, it needs to be capitalized. But if you're just talking about the direction south, you're good! I've linked an article below for you to refer to in case I misread/misundertood this!
https://www.proofreadnow.com/blog/bid/3 ... ize-or-Not

Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana had escaped direct nuclear harm, though some had died from radiation in other states and, according to refugees that had escaped with their lives, some survivors were affected "uniquely" by the radiation.

Since your subject starts out with being states, when you say "though some had died from radiation" it makes it sound like you're talking about some states dying from radiation, when you actually mean people. I would clarify people so it doesn't sound like whole states are dying.

Was this normal in the west, or was the colder temperature an effect of nuclear detonation?

Same thing about "west" that I mentioned before.

“Quiet,” an American woman answered discreetly .

Small thing, there shouldn't be a space between "discreetly" and the period.

Since it's a name, it should be written like this: "B-B-Beaureg-gard L-Loxley"

Had he seen the Star of David tattoo on her neck, he would have known that he would never see her again.

Woah, heavy ending!

Overall, this was a short chapter, but pretty good nonetheless! I don't quite know the context of what's happening, but you definitely seem to have an interesting plot. This was pretty well written. I hope this helped! :D

Riverlight says...

Thanks for the insightful review!

Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee