Home » Literary works » Script » General

A Homework Carol, Scene Two

by Vil

SCENE TWO

Int. Sitting Room - By a Fireplace - Night

STRINGBEAN is sound asleep in her rocking chair, books all over the floor from where she'd been reading until late at night. The grandfather clock in the corner struck 11 PM, and the noise startles her awake.

STRINGBEAN: (tired) Huh? Whazzat?

Chains can be heard clanking outside of the room. A MYSTERIOUS VOICE starts to speak.

MYSTERIOUS VOICE: (eerily) Stringbean... (chains clank) Stringbean!

The clanking steadily grows louder, and STRINGBEAN hides under her quilt. She starts mumbling something to herself about dreams, but otherwise her words are uninteligible. Babbling, she pulls her legs up, wraps her arms around them, and slowly rocks back and forth in her chair.

LADY MYSTERIO floats through the door, dragging her ghostly chains with her. She is the mysterious voice that has frightened STRINGBEAN so.

MYSTERIO: (ghostly voice) Stringbean... StRiNgBeAn...

STRINGBEAN: (whimpering, still rocking) Please don't kill me, please don't kill me, please don't kill me...

MYSTERIO: Stringbean... I am the ghost of homework that you did not do... I have come to WARN you!

STRINGBEAN: (extremely scared) Please don't kill me, please don't kill me, please don't kill me!

MYSTERIO: You MUST do your homework

STRINGBEAN: (screaming) MOMMY! VILNIUS! SOMEONE! SHE'S GONNA KILL ME!

MYSTERIO: (confuzzled) I don't kill, I merely absorb all of your energy and take your body as my own whilst you become a ghost for all eternity. Why would I kill you?

STRINGBEAN: (still very scared) Please don't do that, either, Miss Ghost Lady.

MYSTERIO: (annoyed) Mysterio. Lady Mysterio. Get it right. Now, what was I...? Oh yes! (scarier) You will be visited by three more ghosts this night lest I take your body as my own, mwahahaha!

STRINGBEAN: (pokes head out from blanket) So I'm visited by three ghosts and then you-- (breaks down into sobs) I just want my blankie and my books!

MYSTERIO does a ghostly facepalm and the word beware suddenly fills the room, though MYSTERIO does not say it. She fades into the background before disappeaing from the scene. Crying, STRINGBEAN is left in the room alone.

END OF SCENE TWO

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:19 am
spunkyspacekitty wrote a review...

Hi! Spunky here!

Glows: Your usage of the words "Whazzat" and "confuzzled" amused me. Really funny.

"STRINGBEAN: (screaming) MOMMY! VILNIUS! SOMEONE! SHE'S GONNA KILL ME!

MYSTERIO: (confuzzled) I don't kill, I merely absorb all of your energy and take your body as my own whilst you become a ghost for all eternity. Why would I kill you?"

THIS THOUGH!!! OH MAN THAT IS FUNNNNY!

Grows: I'm gonna be really nitpick right here. You spelled unintelligible as "uninteligible". You just forgot an extra l.

And now, off to scene three!

Vil says...

Thanks for the review! <3

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley