Academia

by Shady

scientist
(noun)
An expert that knows
everything about science.

Bright lab coats
pristine and immaculate
as the biologist who wear them,
untouched by the stains
of reagents and failures.

Confident smiles and pithy slides
explaining data laid out on sleek PowerPoints
the presentations as impeccable
as the researchers who talk through them,
filled with knowledge and answers.

Poised and unflappable,
able to answer any question
at the drop of a hat
or the raising of a hand
or the tag of a friend online.

Publications and scientific meetings
to showcase research and progress
and academic advancement
and the ability to display the one thing
that matters: your ability to achieve.

Hiding the hours of failure and frustration:
angry tears spilled over empty gels,
question marks carved next to figure keys,
meetings with advisors that end
in confusion and self-loathing.

Scientists only share the beautiful:
the flamboyant colors,
and endearing creatures,
and fascinating behaviors.
The things that want to be seen.

Because only a scientist
needs to see the dark nights alone,
the liquor used to numb the pain,
the panic attacks that feel as if
you may drown in incompetence.

Science needs to be beautiful
to fill people with awe and wonder
and glorious fascination with the unknown,
because it's easier to test hypotheses
than wrestle with demons lurking in the dark.

Siddharth says...

An engineering student here. The poem is fully relatable. The snobbishnes and airs of the people associated with this field is really irritating.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 pm
manilla wrote a review...

Hi! Manilla here for a review. Let's get right into it, shall we?

This was a unique look at an issue that seems to affect many of us - The sense of failure, being mentally compared, by yourself, at the person you strive and the person people see you as. You use a good job of using the lifestyle of a scientist to convey this; the struggles and emotion are all clear behind the screen.

scientist
(noun)
An expert that knows
everything about science.

I'm pretty sure we both know that this isn't the actual definition of "scientist", but it fits the meaning you want to portray and the light you want to shine. I would suggest changing it to something slightly more realistic: It's best not to generalize too much.

Bright lab coats
pristine and immaculate
as the biologist who wear them,
untouched by the stains
of reagents and failures.

I love this stanza - It paints a picture of the unattainable perfection we want to see and be. The stanza after the next, however, I feel doesn't have the effectiveness as the previous.

the panic attacks that feel as if
you may drown in incompetence.

Even this poem is connected directly to science, the sense of living in two different mindsets connects back to many, and the finish of this poem is profoundly true.

Overall, this is a really unique poem that offers its own personal touch and viewpoint. Paired just the right amount of emotion and description, this piece of writing is extremely impactful. Keep writing!

-Manilla out
(Feel free to disregard any comments you deem rude or unhelpful, neither of which was my intention.)

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:04 pm
anothing wrote a review...

Apologies in advance, I'm not sure how reviews work (I'm new here), but I absolutely loved your poem! It's the first one on the site so far that really spoke to me. The emotions are so beautifully transcribed to the reader, and the sentences flow really well. I liked the way you began with the definition of a scientist and I think my favorite sections of the poem were the last three stanzas. They (to me) kind of illustrate the misunderstood nature of the scientist, how they only show the things that interest people and are then left alone with the burdens of what others don't care to know. I'm not sure if this is accurate to what you were trying to convey but regardless it is a great poem, a pleasure to read!

As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda