z

Young Writers Society



Shattering Stars

by Atticus


This was written using the Lai poetry structure, which consists of stanzas composed of 9 lines following an aabaabaab pattern. The "a" lines contain 5 syllables, and the "b" lines contain 2 syllables. Traditionally, the b lines rhyme with each other, but I almost never write poetry that rhymes because I feel that it constricts my creative ability to an unhealthy degree. There were a few places I used some creative liberty, but other than that I stuck with that structure for this poem. Let me know what you think!

gazing upwards at
the ink-black heavens
above,
spinning my telescope
and searching the sky
for life,
I feel something strange;
a connection with
far-off stars.

Stars that burn brightly;
too brightly, in fact
for they
soon explode into
thousands of shattered
pieces.
I know all too well
what it feels like to 
shatter. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
127 Reviews


Points: 2600
Reviews: 127

Donate
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 pm
View Likes
mythh wrote a review...



A wonderful relation between stars and your feelings.

I acknowledge your poem not only for its ideas but also for your effort in sticking to a particular format while building on the idea. It was a great attempt, but I feel that you need to build a little more on your idea. Though you have clarity there is a lack of structure in your idea(not the poem). You have laid a great foundation but the tower remains short.

I would suggest you to keep working on it till your tower looks sharp and tall. Great work. I loved your poem and my favourite parts were your descriptions and imagery. For example;

"ink-black heavens"

and

your final relationship with the poem - the way you concluded, which was,

"soon explode into
thousands of shattered
pieces.
I know all too well
what it feels like to
shatter."

A great poem. Please keep writing.
A quote from my favourite video game if it will help.

"Sky Above, Voice Within"

Aim for the sky with all you've got and I'm sure that you will have mastery of your way of expression.




User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 962
Reviews: 56

Donate
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:26 pm
View Likes
JoyDark wrote a review...



Hello! I like this piece. Although, I don't know f I should say just the words "I like this." They seem too peppy, too insincere to say about this poem.

It is a beautiful poem, laced with melancholy. The words ring purple and blue and cool and soothing, as if I am floating while I listen to such music. The words... it's as if they are swirling around me, touching me, comforting me, assuring my heart that to be broken is not the end.

I could feel emotion in these words. I read poetry to get a feeling, not necessarily to understand the words, yet here I get both. I feel the words, I feel the emotions. The words are simple, dressed and coming as they are, barren flowers that people overlook, but once you look closer you realize that the flowers are beautiful in their simplicity.

This poem is simply beautiful, and beautiful in its simplicity.

I loved it. Thank you for sharing such a poem. I'm sorry the words here are loopy, like rippling thread floating in space, but that's how I feel when I read this.




Atticus says...


Thank you so much for your kind words!



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 1513
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:49 pm
View Likes
StudentAH says...



Wow, the end there kinda made me sad.

I'm not going to leave this as a review because I'm not familiar with this poem style, but I think you were saying that traditionally the b lines rhyme, but you decided not to make them rhyme?

I had thought that all the a lines rhyme with one another as well. Overall, was your intention that this is a Lai but it doesn't rhyme, and instead the inspiration is just the syllables & stanza length, etc.?

The idea behind this is very interesting; I love stars and I often look at the news for astrology discoveries, etc.

I wonder if this author is looking far out in the stars to search for something within themselves. Or rather, because they've given up on that.




Atticus says...


Yes, traditionally the b lines rhyme based on what I read. it's possible there are variations where the a lines are supposed to rhyme as well. I was using the syllable and stanza lengths for this poem, since I dislike writing rhyming poetry. I'm glad you enjoyed this! Thanks so much for the review!



StudentAH says...


Ah, ok, I see. And yes, thank you for sharing :)



User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 810
Reviews: 68

Donate
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:46 pm
View Likes
BhavyaMehta123 wrote a review...



Hi@DJTurkey.Honestly, I never knew there existed something called" Lai poetry structure" I got to know it from you. So thank you.
I liked your poem. I love how you rhymed it well. I don't have any knowledge about this style so no comments at all.I loved how you explained the journey of scattering of stars.The last line was indeed heart touching. I could feel you.
I feel the following lines are awesome:
"gazing upwards at
the ink-black heavens
above,"
I feel you should have written g of gazing in capitals. I think it was just by chance or is there any reason behind it
Do reply.
From:Bhavya.




Atticus says...


Hi there Bhavya, and thank you so much for the review! I agree that gazing should have been capitalized; I forgot that I had capitalized "Stars", so it should absolutely be capitalized for the sake of consistency. Thanks for catching that, and I'm glad you enjoyed the poem!





Your welcome!




I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor