Colors of the World

by Atticus

A/N:This is a poem I wrote last night, and I'm not really a poet, so I would ask for a little bit of encouragement to be included in your reviews alongside your critique. This is written from a Christian perspective, so it makes references to Bible stories and is from the perspective of someone crying out to God. I hope you enjoy! 

When Adam and Eve sinned in the garden,
I didn't realize what it would mean for us now.
How can we decide to let our hearts harden
Against our friends and neighbors, just how?

Evil has taken over our broken land
Oh God, we've really messed this up
I can't meet the standard you demand
But still you pour blessings into my cup

We're all hatin' our sisters and brothers
You only gave us 2 very simple commands
To love you first, and to love all others
Created our world with peoples like the sands

Now we discriminate, judgin' others by their skin
Ignoring that all are beautiful and made by You
Can't we just embrace our neighbors as kin?
We have made a distinction between me and you

We need different colors to paint the story
Of our world, and all are beautiful
We are all the same, no color deserves more glory
Than the others, just as wonderful and colorful

Can we erase this line we've drawn,
Or these rankings we've decided to erect?
And if we do, I pray that next dawn
Will bring a day we allow God to direct

Attention: You have a saved draft of a comment to this work. Click here to load it.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 pm
Missymisunderstood wrote a review...

Oh My wow. I really just love this poem. As a christian, I love how you didn't lay it on too thick and from the racism perspective it's something everyone can relate with as it is a HUGE issue in todays society.

The fact that you made reference to the two most Imporant commandments in the bible gives me mind bubbles because some people really don't know how simple it is. And I love how it seems kinda like a prayer, a communication with God, pointing out just how abundant his grace is, because I relate too well with you on that.

I'm definately praying that prayer with you, Amen.

Good job Tucker, Please keep it up, and I hope God continues to bless you and further your literary skills.
Spreading God's love <3

Atticus says...

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback. Have a great day

TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Wow! This was an awesome poem that really speaks a lot! As someone who likes to paint, I really understand that we need different colors to paint a picture! Even if you do gray scale, you still need different shades to see the picture. Also, I think you are an awesome poet! ;3 As a Christian, I have thought about most of the points in your poem a lot, but you still really brought it to light! Keep up the awesome work! :)

Atticus says...

Thank you so much!

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm
mmreyna7 wrote a review...

I honestly love this poem, it shows you poured your heart into it. I am a catholic-Christian and believer. If we are really honest with ourselves, do we really love our neighbor? Our neighbor can be a friend, family member, or stranger. How can we say we love our neighbor when we judge ourselves? Love is an important emotion and feeling, and something our culture misunderstands a lot! It involves we take risks, and part of being a Christian is taking a leap of faith, not all at once but it's what makes our faith come alive. Thank you for sharing this! Keep writing. (:

Atticus says...

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 am
bloodstring says...

Oh my God!
I just love it cause its so very beautiful and well-crafted.
Well done, Tucker....

Atticus says...

Thank you so much!

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:41 pm
RainaDee says...

This is beautiful!

Atticus says...

I'm glad you liked it :)

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:38 pm
graphiteshimmer wrote a review...

I loved this poem. I love how it emphasizes the most important commandments:love others and God, rather than the little ones in Leviticus and throughout that modern-day Christians like to point out to justify their prejudices. This poem made love important, rather than the whole "hate the sin, love the sinner" mindset that has risen to the surface today. Overall, you did a great job, and I loved this. Please message me or something if you decide to write more. Thank you, God bless!

Atticus says...

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and if you want, I published something called "Masks" that talks about how society pushes an ideal body image on everyone and how we try and fit that mold. Thanks again, and have a great day!

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:08 am
rosette says...

Aww <3 I really like this.
Thank you for pointing out how wrong, well, sinful really, it is to discriminate someone because of the color of their skin. Like, that is SO not of God! I love that "no color deserves more glory than the others" part. I mean, amen! We don't worship our race - we worship God! Whooh!
Anyway. I was considering reviewing this, but I'm kind of horrible at poetry so I'll just leave this comment xD
Thanks for writing this!

Atticus says...

Thank you for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Have a great day

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:45 pm
Hijinks wrote a review...

Whatcha here, dropping in for a review that was well worth it :)

Whether Christian or not, this is such a good point. We're all equal! What do colours have to do with our ranks?

Okay, sorry, moving onto the review.
I just want to point out, first, that rhyming all the lines is super hard, and you did a great job of it.

Against our friends and neighbors, just how? << This seems a bit repetitive, with the 'how's ... Perhaps, instead of a comma, you could do a period: 'Against our friends and neighbor. Just how?' You could even italicize how - Just how? I feel like this would make it flow better.

Oh, before we get any farther, I'd like to mention capitalization. Personally, I think capitalizing the beginning of each line looks weird - I mean, how would 'Cats are cute, darling things, Made to warm the hearts of people, Made to eat food', or whatever, look? (Sorry, lame example, but still ...) That isn't saying don't capitalize after periods, though ;)
But some people prefer capitalizing each line, so I'm not going to tell you not to, just to keep it in mind.

Next - hmm, let's see.

Evil has taken over our broken landperiod
Oh God, we've really messed this upcomma
I can't meet the standard you demand
But still you pour blessings into my cupperiod

You seemed to forget punctuation in the second stanza :D I can relate so much with the first line, though.
Same goes for the third stanza (punctuation, that is), and, actually, the next two. Remember to go over you poems - or any literary work, really - and look for punctuation. For example, if you're used to writing novels, you would know how annoying it is when someone writes like "Charles you dumbo" he said. Missing two commas. I personally find that annoying. The same is similar for poetry; unless you're writing with a broken style, ya need punctuation! :)

'Kay, moving on.

You only gave us 2 very simple commands << I would add 'when' before 'you' to help with the flow. I think I also forgot to mention, that flow is very important in poems, unless, as I said before, you're writing in a choppy style for effect.

Question - what does
peoples like the sands

mean? It may just be me but it doesn't completely make sense.
Oh, same goes for

I take it to mean we are all making differences between races when there's none, really to be found, at least not in a negative way? But I'm a bit iffy about that.

We need different colors to paint the story << yes, yes, yes!!! Sorry, I just agree so much.
Of our world, and all are beautiful
Than the others, just as wonderful and colorful << it's annoying, but colorful and beautiful don't rhyme. When you compare 'beautiful' and 'colorful' to 'beautiful' and 'shoot a mole' you'll see what I mean ;)

Other than this, not much else to say! I generally LOVED the message you were trying to get across, and you did a great job of doing it. Very good, especially considering you apparently don't do poems often - are you sure you don't? :P

~whatcha

Atticus says...

Hi Pearl, and thanks for the review! I didn't spend a lot of time on punctuation, so it makes sense that it didn't really make complete sense. "Peoples like the sands" meant that they were numerous. I originally had "peoples as numerous as the sands", but it made the line disproportionately long. 'Me and you' meant distinctions between our neighbors of different skin tones, so yes, you were correct :) I'll fix that rhyme at the end. Once again, thank you, and have a great day!

Hijinks says...

You're welcome ;)

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes