z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Augury of RiverClan - Chapter 1.2

by Riverlight


Note: Yes, I know the pacing isn't great. Please review other parts of it.

"All the prey will have run of to their nests," Havenpaw growled, black pelt shivering as icy water dripped from his fur. "There won't be a single mouse, vole, or rabbit to be found from here to Highstones."

"Pfft, stop complaining," Graypaw mewed cheerfully. Her dusky gray pelt was nearly black because of all the rain. "We're bound to find something out here! Not only does the Clan need it, but it'll show off our skills to our mentors."

"Exactly," agreed Pinkpaw with a purr, glancing at Ripplepaw for further support.

The dak gray tabby tilted his head and reasoned, "While Havenpaw and you both have fair points, we were ordered to hunt. Instead of being chatty finches, we should try to find at least a few mice trying to escape the flood."

Havenpaw snorted. "Maybe crowfood."

"Hush, mousebrains." Riverpaw shook his pelt, trying to dry off even just a little. "We may not be able to scent the prey easily, but they won't be able to scent us, either. They'll also be looking for something to eat-- no creature will want to go hungry tonight. It's best that we look for it now than be stuck with what drowned later." He continued up the hill, softly setting his paws on the slippery grass, sliding his claws into the muddy earth to help keep his balance. Pinkpaw, Ripplepaw, and Graypaw all followed his lead; Havenpaw hesitated but joined the other four apprentices.

After a while, each of the apprentices had caught something-- Havenpaw a mouse, Ripplepaw a vole, Graypaw and Pinkpaw a fish each, and Riverpaw a scrawny squirrel. They were on their way back to the others when a loud, alarmed yowl ripped through the air.

"That's Berryfur!" Havenpaw mumbled through his mouse. "Come on!" The black cat charged down the slope, the other four apprentices trying to follow behind. Graypaw slipped and started sliding down the slope, towards the river.

"Graypaw!" Pinkpaw hissed, slowing down. Her mud-specked pelt shivered with cold as the other cat lost her grip.

"Help!" Graypaw cried. She tumbled down the hill and was close to the rising water.

Pinkpaw dropped her fish and leaped forward, claws unsheathed. "I'm coming!" The she-cat landed near Graypaw and grabbed the smaller cat's scruff, digging her claws into the earth until they slowed to a stop. The other three apprentices had slowed down and were being more careful.

"Go find Berryfur!" Riverpaw called.

Pinkpaw nodded and bounded off towards the old cat's yowls for help. At last, she saw his dark brown head bobbing above the water as he clinged to a tree branch. "Help me!" he gurgled.

Pinkpaw approached the tree branch careful and reached down towards the ancient tom's paws. "Slide your claws into my paws and hang on. I can handle the pain." Berryfur obeyed; Pinkpaw winced as the smell of fresh blood filled the air. "Hang on," the she-cat grunted, slowly backing up.

Once the tom was on solid ground again, he released her paws. "Thank you," he purred. "I'm sorry about your paws."

"You can thank me later. For now, we need to get back to the Clan."

*****

"Let all cats old enough to swim gather and listen to my words!" Shorestar called. The rain had settled down a bit, and there was a decent amount of prey for the Clan to share until dawn. The sky was still dark and swollen, however, and Shorestar flicked her whiskers nervously as the Clan settled down. The leader's head gazed down upon the others from the tree hollow. "Pinkpaw, Minnowpaw, step forward!"

Pinkpaw limped forward, heavily leaning on her littermate. Minnowpaw's green eyes gazed up at Shorestar as the Clan silently waited for their leader to continue.

"I, Shorestar, leader of RiverClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in their turn. Do you both promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clans, even at the costs of your lives?"

"I do," both apprentices mewed.

Shorestar cheerfully replied, "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Pinkpaw, from this moment on, you shall be known as Pinkeyes. StarClan honors your courage and your dedication, and we welcome you as a full warrior of RiverClan."

"Pinkeyes! Pinkeyes!" the Clan called.

Pinkeyes touched noses with her sister as Shorestar continued. "Minnowpaw, from this moment on, you shall be known as Minnowfeather. StarClan honors your warmth and wisdom, and we welcome you as a full warrior of RiverClan."

"Minnowfeather! Minnowfeather!"

"This meeting is over. Both cats shall have a silent vigil for the rest of the night. Dismissed."

"I wish we had our warrior names," Ripplepaw sighed.

"We'll get them soon enough." Riverpaw touched his nose to his brother's cheek. "We'll be the strongest warriors the Clan has ever seen."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 pm
View Likes
starlitmind wrote a review...



Note: Yes, I know the pacing isn't great. Please review other parts of it.


Okay, so today I'm going to focus my review on your pacing. First of all,

NO LOL I'M JUST KIDDING XD can't wait to read this part!!! <3

"We're bound to find something out here! Not only does the Clan need it, but it'll show off our skills to our mentors."


Yup, and I think more than showing off your skills is going to happen xD

"Hush, mousebrains."


OH MY GOSH MOUSEBRAINS LOL I love that insult xD

something I noticed is that the word "pelt" comes up a lot. like with a bunch of other words, it's hard to find alternatives since you're restricted to cat words :p you could try replacing some of them with wool, fur, coat, or something similar. or you could try to avoid using any word altogether, just having the action! just some ideas for you to consider c:

After a while, each of the apprentices had caught something-


JUST A RANDOM SUGGESTION, maybe you could specify what "after awhile" means? either by giving a specific time frame, or maybe something like "after the sun had started bleeding into the night" or whatever suits your fancy c"

Pinkpaw dropped her fish and leaped forward, claws unsheathed. "I'm coming!"


YESS PINKPAW, UNLEASH YOUR AWESOMENESS!! :D

Pinkpaw nodded and bounded off towards the old cat's yowls for help. At last, she saw his dark brown head bobbing above the water as he clinged to a tree branch.


if you're looking for spots to improve your pacing, this might be a nice spot! You said "at last," but it doesn't really feel like Pinkpaw was looking for a long time. You could create tension here by describing how Pinkpaw searched desperately in the waters, but perhaps pounding rain blinded her vision, or something like that! I know you said you don't want reviews on your pacing xD but I just thought I'd like to point this out as a nice spot that might help that while also creating tension! ^_^

"Slide your claws into my paws and hang on. I can handle the pain."


Aww, this is a touching and sweet moment in all of the chaos <3

"Hang on," the she-cat grunted, slowly backing up.

Once the tom was on solid ground again


This could be another spot to create a smoother transition. Maybe you could have Pinkpaw traveling a farther distance before she's able to set the cat down? I really don't think your pacing is bad; I think you're selling yourself short there. I think the main thing is that it doesn't feel "dramatic" or "omg everyone is going to die," you know? xD I think dramatizing what is going on, making the reader scared for everyone's lives (lol), and making the scenes more exciting can help you. It will also make Pinkpaw's warrior name receiving thing seemed SUPER well earned!!

The sky was still dark and swollen


I love the idea of the sky being swollen -> what a neat thought!

They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in their turn. Do you both promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clans, even at the costs of your lives?"


I think something that might be helpful is to explain a bit more about this ceremony, especially since you might have readers who haven't read the original series. Like maybe a cat gasps when they learn that this ceremony is happening, because it's an honour? and then you could reveal stuff about the ceremony through the cat's dialogue, making them go like "wow, cats only get this when they've done something super awesome" or "usually cats get their warrior name later in life" or something I don't know xD

I think another nice thing would be to get some emotions from Pinkpaw and Minnowpaw. this may not be 3rd person omniscient, so maybe the reader won't get to know their thoughts directly - but we could learn something through their expressions. for example, if their eyes where shining, or if their paws were trembling from nervousness and excitement, or if they wore bright smiles. whatever comes to your mind :)

AHHHH THEY GOT THEIR WARRIOR NAMES :O I don't really know the significance of that since I haven't read the original, but it sounds like such an honour 0.0 and the last statement from Ripplepaw makes me think that too! so I really liked how you included that last bit ^^ a subtle way to show how important the warrior name is to the cats of the River Clan <3

I'm so proud of the two cats, they all grow up too fast :')




Riverlight says...


c:

So, basically, these cats start off as kits and are looked after by ther mothers unti 6 months old. Then, they train for at least 6 more months to be warriors (longer for med cats). So, yeah, important life step for them :3

What did you think of the names??



starlitmind says...


OHHH THANK YOU FOR THE EXPLANATION!!! ^_^

(longer for med cats


omg of course, rip

I LOVE MINNOWFEATHER, such an elegant sounding name! it's very easy and flowy, if that makes sense xD

I think you might want to be careful with pinkeyes? because you know, you can get pink eye xD BUT I JUST THOUGHT I'D POINT THAT OUT LOL, WHATEVER SUITS YOUR FANCY :D



Riverlight says...


yessss I love the name Minnowfeather, it just fits her so well c:

I was thinking that Pinkeyes was just kinda name for her eyes :P She just happens to be an albino, so rip other names



starlitmind says...


OHH OKAY I GOTCHA, I FIGURED YOU HAD SOMETHING IN MIND XDD

rip indeed



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 106
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:05 pm
View Likes
Ilium417 wrote a review...



Hey! Ilium here for a review!
Man, this was action-packed! You did a good job of describing what was happening. There were times when I wish there was a little more detail. For example, the part where Graypaw is sliding down the slope into the river. It might be a little better and a bit more emotional if you add some of the panic or part of the natural ("natural" being literally nature, like the rushing river) dangers that Graypaw was experiencing at the time. Other times your detail was GREAT, like when Riverpaw was talking after he told people to shush (that made me laugh btw XD)

The dialogue was great too! It really showed their personalities!
(Sorry I'm going quick, I have to go somewhere XD)

At the end, when Riverpaw and Ripplepaw was talking, it felt a little odd. Maybe you can add a bit about how they are just outside the gathering or something. But what Riverpaw said was a great ending to the chapter!

When Pinkpaw grabbed Berryfur, it felt really noble, and it showed thier personality very well. The only thing I'd recommend is talking about how Pinkpaw hid the pain on her face as she got Berryfur. I think that'd make it a bit more powerful.
Overall, great story! You guys are doing well! :D
Peace and Tacos be with you!




Riverlight says...


omg that was fast XD

Thanks for the review!!




Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson