z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Augury of RiverClan - Ch. 8.1

by Riverlight


"Applepaw!" Ripplepaw mewed excitedly. "It's been ages!" The tom's eyes brightened as he waved a paw in her direction, friendly purrs rumbling from his throat. The river trickled quietly beside him and a lark sang out it's song while a woodpecker tapped on a tree nearby.

"Ripplepaw!" the ginger and white she-cat called back. "It's good to see you!" An old pale gray she-cat stood behind her. "This is Swanfeather, one of our elders."

"It's nice to see you both again," Quickflash purred from behind Ripplepaw, dipping her head respectfully towards the elder. "Pearnose isn't sending you out and about, is she?"

The old cat shook her head. "My days as a healer are over," she mewed. "This young apprentice is taking me to lounge on those Sunningrocks I've heard so much about."

Applepaw turned her head away, ears laying down as though she were ashamed. "I'm sorry if you don't like that." Her voice was broken and sad like a wood thrush that had lost its voice.

"It is what it is," Ripplepaw responded clearly. The young tom's whiskers twitched, and he raised his paw again, flicking his tail to wave goodbye. "It was nice to see you!"

"You, too!" Applepaw replied, ears pricking up again. "See you at the Gathering!" The ThunderClan cats continued on down towards the Sunningrocks, trotting over ripe green grass and colorful flowers.

"You two seem to have become fast friends, despite everything," she purred. "Just remember that you can't ever be more than that."

"I know," Ripplepaw chimed. "And I won't forget it, Quickflash."

Quickflash nodded approvingly. "Good.Next time you see her, though, don't act so friendly in front of our other Clanmates, okay? Several of them still are upset about what happened to poor Pinkeyes..."

Her apprentice nodded, giving his paw a good lick. "I miss her, too," Ripplepaw said, "but I don't see why that should affect my relationships with other Clan cats. Applepaw didn't kill her; Leafpaw did."

His mentor half-snorted, half-laughed and rolled her eyes. "You're just like me."

"Isn't that why Shorestar made me your apprentice? For you to teach me how to stop my Clanmates from clawing my pelt off for being a furball?"

"She probably assumed I wouldn't first," she purred in reply. "Now, come along, young one. You, Graypaw, Havenpaw, Bluepaw, and Tinypaw all have assessments today."

"Is Shorestar going to make us all warriors?" he asked, surprised.

Quickflash shrugged her shoulders as she turned back towards camp. "I guess we'll have to find out later, won't we?"

Ripplepaw lightly brushed his fur against the ground, keeping a keen eye on the massive pheasant he had found. He knew his Clan wasn't overly fond of birds, but it was more than enough to keep the Clan fed for a day or two-- besides, he was just told to hunt, not what to hunt. He slowly stalked closer, lightly moving one paw in front of another as his ears flicked around, trying to detect any sign of possible disturbances. Then, he leapt forward, pouncing on the pheasant as he bit down hard on its neck. It lashed out at the young cat, trying to break free, but it couldn't make a sound-- Ripplepaw's bite was too hard and too deep. After several long moments, the bird went limp, and Ripplepaw dropped it to the ground.

Quickflash will have to be proud of this! he thought cheerfully. Ripplepaw pricked his ears again; he knew that somewhere out there, two cats were watching him-- Quickflash and Wingfoot, who had volunteered to participate in his assessment. He turned back towards camp and perked his ears; the smell of prey would hide most other scents, so he'd have to listen and watch carefully for other signs of life. They'll be around here somewhere, ready to pounce on me... I need to pass this assessment.

He trod carefully over the twigs and pebbles that scattered the forest floor. Not all of the paths from the camp to other parts of the territory had been cleared yet. His keen green eyes invaded every nook and cranny they could reach, searching for the two cats shadowing his journey back to camp. A branch snapped; he whipped around, expecting to see one of them. Instead, Havenpaw stood there, a pair of fish dangling by their tails from his mouth, fur ruffled and out of place.

"Sorry," Havenpaw mumbled through blood and scales. "I didn't mean to startle you."

Ripplepaw carefully set his pheasant on the ground. "Have you finished your assessment already?"

The other apprentice nodded and flicked his tail towards the river. "Mothear set me up with Speckleheart of all cats," he mewed in surprise. "She may be older than dirt, but she put the fear of StarClan in me. Who're you supposed to be attacked by?"

"Wingfoot," Ripplepaw replied. "She's small but fast, so I'll have to be faster."

Havenpaw dipped his head. "Good luck."

"Same to you." Ripplepaw turned away from his brother, off the usual paths and into the forest. He hadn't seen how his brother did; it'd be unfair, thought the apprentice, if Havenpaw saw how he did. The grass grew in loose patches here, and the dirt was dustier, more coarse. Little pebbles and small rocks littered the ground. A few stray leaves drifted through the air, floating on a gentle breeze that make Ripplepaw's nose quiver. It's a bit chilly all of a sudden... A twig snapped nearby, making him whip around. Before he could say anything, a flash of white fur and claws were upon him.

Ripplepaw felt himself drop his pheasant as he struck at the side of the cat that had attacked him, claws unsheathed. The fresh, tangy scent of a she-cat's blood overwhelmed his senses. He clawed at her flank, desperate to push her off, but the smaller cat had him pinned right where she wanted him. Then, an idea came to him. Using his hind legs, he unsheathed his back paws and clawed at the cat's underside.

"Ouch! That's enough!" the cat hissed, dragging herself away. "Remind me not to get on his bad side, Quickflash!"

Quickflash's purr sounded from nearby. Ripplepaw watched astonished as she seemed to appear from out of nowhere. "We've been sitting in this rabbit warren for ages! I thought we'd have to move again. Well done, Ripplepaw!"

Ripplepaw's fur was matted and bristling, and his paws trembled as he tried to process what had just happened. "Th-that was w-worse than Sunningrocks!" he hissed through chattering teeth.

Wingfoot limped back towards him, white pelt matted with blood and dust. "Sorry," she mewed. "I didn't mean to be rough with you..."

"It's alright," Ripplepaw replied. "I just pray to StarClan I never have to fight like that again..."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:38 pm
View Likes
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! Plume here, with a review! This work has been chilling in the green room for a while,

So the saga continues!! I think this chapter was really great. I enjoyed seeing the sort of rite of passage/benchmark test type thing Ripplepaw had to do in it. I think it really let readers get an insight into more of the inner workings of this whole society you focus on, and I personally thought it was super interesting. I feel like a lot of the time, culture and practices in fantasy/alternate worlds is often looked over, so I really appreciate that insertion.

I also think the character work you did in this section was phenomenal. I think the ending was especially exemplary. Ripplepaw's visceral reaction to the fighting was so interesting. I think it's very great how he wants to be a warrior and has been very heavily involved in the training to be one, and yet when he does fight, he has this very negative reaction to it. I think this speaks volumes about his character, and how decent he is. It also kind of reinforces that whole thought that you think hurting or killing someone is easy until you actually have to do it, and then you're really faced with how hard it is. It's this type of indirect characterization that really makes or breaks a story, and I think you've made it very well. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet the line about how he hopes he'll never have to fight like that again is foreshadowing.

Specifics

The river trickled quietly beside him and a lark sang out it's song while a woodpecker tapped on a tree nearby.


Common mistake (one that I make a lot too lol): "it's" should be "its." I know it's counterintuitive and I will never forgive the English language for making it so, but alas.

Also, I just wanted to thank you again here for that lovely message you posted on your wall. It's always nice to know that my reviews are appreciated and that they're helpful.

Overall: nice work! I'm super excited to see what happens in the next chapter. I assume Ripplepaw will be made into an official warrior...? And that'll be super cool to read about it playing out. Until next time!!




Riverlight says...


asdfghjkl;'
Always that one apostrophe >.< That is the only major issue I have with grammar right now XD

Thanks for the review! c:



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:39 pm
View Likes
starlitmind wrote a review...



OMG I WAS NOT AWARE A NEW CHAPTER HAD COME OUT AHHHH so happy to read :')

"Applepaw!" Ripplepaw mewed excitedly. "It's been ages!"


OMG YES APPLEPAW I missed her , so glad to see her again!! c:

The river trickled quietly beside him and a lark sang out it's song while a woodpecker tapped on a tree nearby.


love how you describe the river as "trickling" -> although, usually rivers are fast, while streams perhaps could trickle. so I love the use of a specific verb, but I'm wondering if it can work for rivers xD
( it's -> its c: )

"Ripplepaw!" the ginger and white she-cat called back. "It's good to see you!" An old pale gray she-cat stood behind her.


TOTALLY UP TO YOU, but you could avoid this repetition by taking out the first one -> in case readers forgot who Applepaw was, you mentioned her gender in the first paragraph, so I don't think it's that necessary to have that. And it might help to avoid repetitiveness, but only if that's something you're interested in avoiding ^_^

"You, too!" Applepaw replied, ears pricking up again. "See you at the Gathering!"


NOOO that was such a short interaction ;-; I hope they have a longer one at the Gathering xD

"You two seem to have become fast friends, despite everything," she purred. "Just remember that you can't ever be more than that."


wait what 0.0 why not? because they're of different clans? :O I guess that would make things complicated, because if they ever started a family together, how would they decide which clan their kittens belong to :c AHH so are we going to have a Romeo and Juliet sort of love story here too omg. as a reader, that would be fun to read about!! c: but also as a reader, I care about these characters, and I want them to be happy >.>

"I miss her, too," Ripplepaw said, "but I don't see why that should affect my relationships with other Clan cats. Applepaw didn't kill her; Leafpaw did."


YESSS THIS.

Quickflash will have to be proud of this!


Okay why do I feel like something bad is going to happen or something 0.0

Ahh I'm loving your specific descriptions! Like with Ripplepaw hunting the pheasant and the way you introduced Havenpaw - how the fish was dangling and how his fur was out of place
This assessment is almost giving me Hunger Game vibes xD I love the set up of how the clan tests their abilities

"We've been sitting in this rabbit warren for ages! I thought we'd have to move again. Well done, Ripplepaw!"


YESS GO RIPPLEPAW!! I knew he'd do all right :)

"It's alright," Ripplepaw replied. "I just pray to StarClan I never have to fight like that again..."


Ah, but I doubt that he's never going to have to fight like that again,,, >.>

I love how the chapters just seem so natural? if that makes sense? like it feels like normal day-to-day life; it's a bit laid-back, and the characters are doing what they normally would. nothing out of the ordinary is happening (yet), but that does make me think it's like the clam before the storm :O I wonder if the Gathering is going to erupt in chaos or something >.> or if somebody is going to get angry at Ripplepaw and Applepaw's friendship -> I wouldn't be surprised if they faced heat during the Gathering :c

<333




Riverlight says...


Tysm for the review!! I'm in the process of writing the next chapter rn, so it should be here soon c:




Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller