Manic Pixie

by TheMulticoloredCyr

Ye olde tales tell of fairies 

their songs ever so sweet 

in homely forest dwellings 

their company's a treat 

They are manic 

Hardly hinged

Ever frantic

Panic tinged 

Life's every moment 

they squeeze and they pry 

desperate for joy

they may find inside 

I am a pixie 

someone's manic dream boy 

I prize to be won 

I will share my joy 

A pixie's a thing 

to trap in a jar 

to hold extra tight 

and push way too far 

Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 am
PoetryMisfit wrote a review...

I love this poem... I mean REALLY love this poem! The fairytale writing style and the whimsical flow compliment each other really well. Also, I love how you write about a manic dream boy when we only ever really hear about manic pixie dream girls. But from the way I understand it, you are very literal with the pixie description. I feel like you could extend this into a book or even ashort story. I would love to know more about the manic dream boy and the emotions he's feeling.
I hope you keep writing!

- Poetry Misfit

Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:45 pm

Lovely poem! It sounded just like a children’s fairytale.The fact that the poem says that pixies can be broken,shared and put into jars,says what the narrator thinks about pixies.Maybe,pixies are human,like us and they just want to be loved,to share their love with others,no matter what.After all,what is the use of joy and magic if it can’t be shared? I hope you have a wonderful day/night.

Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:52 pm
FourLeafClover wrote a review...

Hey there! I'm here to review your poem!

Let's dive right into it, shall we?

Ye olde tales tell of fairies

their songs ever so sweet

in homely forest dwellings

their company's a treat

This stanza actually surprised me. Whenever I see old books about the Fae, or hear old people tell stories of them, the Fae tend to be evil, and the stories dark and twisted. So, yeah, this was just really surprising. There must be some good stories out there that I don't know.

They are manic

Hardly hinged

Ever frantic

Panic tinged

Okay, apparently for some reason I read this part like a rap and I don't know why. Anyway, time for the actual review part of this. I guess since I read it like a rap, it has a beat to it and that tends to be a good thing in poetry, so great job on that.

Life's every moment

they squeeze and they pry

desperate for joy

they may find inside

All right, so, this stanza makes me think about the Fae children as changelings, trying to make the most out of their horrible situation and find joy in their human family. So, yeah, awesome job on imagery. People reading poems tend to enjoy being able to picture what's going on, so that was important.

I am a pixie

someone's manic dream boy

I prize to be won

I will share my joy

I really liked the emphasis on "will" in this stanza. It gives some support on the idea that pixies strive to be with company, and with good company, as stated above. It's good to keep supporting ideas throughout a piece, so good job on that.

A pixie's a thing

to trap in a jar

to hold extra tight

and push way too far

Okay, hold on. This is confusing me a bit. If the company traps the pixies, than why would the pixies strive to be with them? So, yeah, this is kinda stumping me, but making the reader have a bunch of questions is a good ending, I think. I mean, lots of famous poets do that, so I guess it's a good thing. Sorry this section wasn't too helpful.

Overall, the grammar was really good, so it doesn't distract the reader from the actual story. Great job on that!

Thanks for reading, and have a good day/night!
-Quinn

Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:03 am
AriesBookworm wrote a review...

Ye olde tales tell of fairies

their songs ever so sweet

in homely forest dwellings

their company's a treat

I got an old-time feel from this section. Almost like a grandparent/parent talking to their grandkids/kids.

They are manic

Hardly hinged

Ever frantic

Panic tinged

Okay, it seems like the grandparent/parent is trying to warn the child.

I am a pixie

someone's manic dream boy

I prize to be won

I will share my joy

Perhaps the grandparent/parent is speaking in a metaphor?

A pixie's a thing

to trap in a jar

to hold extra tight

and push way too far

It seems like pixies are highly sought after.

Overall: Good job!

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.
— Pablo Neruda