12+

Wings

by Bellarke

Short story- Romance

Setting: A field in East Europe

Date: later 1800s

He opens his eyes, and looks at them, shock written all over his face. “Wow.”

I blush and look at the ground. “No.”

“Finn, they are wonderful.” He reaches out a hand to touch them.

“No! Don't touch them!” I cry out, but it is to late.

His hand grazes my left wing, and i feel some of my life force being ripped away from both him, and me. “What is happening?”

“If you touch a fairy’s wing, they take you're power, as you take theirs, and the more powerful being takes the most power. Than would be you.” My knees giving away,I fall into the grass.

“Finn?” He falls onto the ground beside me. “What does that mean?”

“I am going to die.” I grit out, my insides feeling as thought they are going to explode, but I can't stop it. It is a natural thing. “You have to leave.”

“No. How do I fix this?” He reaches for my hand, and squeezes it.

“Atlas, you can’t.” Tears rim my eyes, so I look in the direction of my village, I can feel the ground shaking, Mother is crying, she feels than my fate is decided for me.

The wind is blowing hard, Father is angered.

Then, I hear the cry of a lonsome wolf, Neiera, off in the wood, watching as I slowly die.

“Leave, Atlas.” I look at him, the tears falling out of my eyes.

“What? No.” He takes me into his arms, and lays my head in his lap.

“You have to. If my family catches you here, with my body, they will kill you. They will not even think twice.” I look up at his face, his blonde hair falling into his face, like a halo.

The tears that fall from his eyes, make me want to do something to make him feel better, but i know than I can't.

I look up at the sky, and then, I see it.

The light than becons me with open arms.

Come my child. It seems to be saying. We have been waiting for you.

Only, it is not heaven. I don't believe in a heaven. The inevitable after world. The land than is neither heaven of hell.

The ghost world.

“Finn? Finn? Finn!” Atlas is touching my check over and over.

“I am sorry.” I say, than I disolve into the light.

I can still hear his please behind me. “Sweet heart, please don't die. Don't leave me.”

To late.

“Come.” They whisper to me. “We have a deal to make with you.”

What deal? I think back.

“Come.” The voice says again.

O...kay. I float to the doors in the clouds, following the sound of the voice.

“Great, you are here!” A voice squeaks.

“What?” I look at the little red haired girl in front of me.

“You were not supposed to come here. Not supposed to die, yet.” She smiles, “You are to return. Not as human, but an angel.”

“What?” I look at the girl once more, than i notice the wings than are a pale pink color.

“You will live again. As an immortal.”

“Really? I can be with Atlas?” I cannot believe this.

She touches my arm, “Get down to my size.”

I do as she says, and she touches my forehead. Pain laces through my body.

When I come to, i am back on earth, in the field.

My head is in Atlas’ lap once again.

His hands are on my face. “Please. Please. Please.”

“Atlas.” I lift up, and i feel as thought my wings are heavier.

“Finn?” He looks at me, tears streaking his cheeks. “You're wings. They are white.”

He reaches out, and hugs me.

“I love you, Atlas.” I whisper into his chest.

“I love you too.”

“Finn?” I turn and see my mother and father, and Neiria standing by the treeline. “How you died.” Mother says.

“I was not supposed to. Than is why.” I run and hug them all.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 am
Kanome wrote a review...

Hey, ThatGeekyGirl. I am here to provide you a review. Let's get started, shall we?

I won't get into any grammar or sentence issues because someone else has already covered that. I am going to review Character Development, Setting, and Plot. Here we go.

Character Development
I believe Atlas and Finn should have been more described. I know you provided visual representations for your story, but you can draw in your readers more if you provide imagery. As for the characters themselves, I like the emotions each character had throughout the whole story. Sadness and pain, great job on that. Things you should consider working on are:
- Developing a sense of imagery for characters in future work.
- Developing more personality for your characters.

Setting:
I do understand that the setting took place in the 1800s, but where? Setting is time and place. Be sure next time for future to provide a place.

Plot:
I do realize that this is a short story. From what I understand, the plot was that Atlas touched Finn's black wings? And since that happened, Atlas gained power while Finn lost power, resulting in death, but luckily, it wasn't FInn's time to die so she was resurrected as an angel? That's what I got from it. The story was full of love, sadness, and pain. It can make one feel like they are going to cry. The plot is simple, that's why I liked your story. It's simplicity.
Overall, your story was great in the plot department, but your character development skills and setting skills need to be worked on. Hopefully, this will provide you some insight on what you can do to become a better writer. Don't worry, I used to be same way when I first started writing, and I can tell you have so much potential. Keep up the great work. Keep writing!

- Kanome

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 am
Archangel wrote a review...

Oh my goodness! That was adorable! If that had been geek lore I can see how Atlas became so cold if she was meant to die. Anyway, you need to be more clear. I couldn't tell what was happening in the first part of the story. I had no idea what was going on. "He opens his eyes, and looks at them, shock written all over his face." Them? Them what? I had to re-read it a couple time to figure it out, honestly. Other than that it was pretty good. Keep writing.

Danni88 wrote a review...

Hey! Danni here for the promised review!
First off, I love the pictures you added. Really nice touch.
There were a few spelling errors in this, I have pointed them out below:

Than is why.

Than should be that.
"How you died."

This would look better if you changed it to "How? You died."
i feel as though my wings are heavier

This happens a few times. The 'i' needs to be capitalized.
They take you're power

You're should be your.

Change 'than becons' to 'that beckons'.
touches my check

That should be cheek.,
To late.

'To' should be 'too.'

OK, that's it for spelling, now just general nitpicks:

You spell the wolf's name both Neiera and Neiria. This is confusing.
than I notice the wings are a pale pink colour

Than should be then, and you didn't mention that the girl had wings.

OK, that's it for nitpicks!
Overall, I really enjoyed this! I really love the way Finn came back as it wasn't her time to die yet. What an amazing ending. This was a really brilliant story and I look forward to reading more of your work. 9/10!

Bellarke says...

yeah i was in a hurry. thank you

AnimalQueen says...

That was a great story!!! I love how Finn came back as an Angel to be with Atlas. Your names are very creative, and so are your stories. That's a good quality in story telling. The pictures you added are a nice touch, too. I, too love magical creatures.

Bellarke says...

Thank you!!! I based the story on the picture... Thanks

GayPotato wrote a review...

I love this, Cuz. This is great. I loved how you started it out with a picture and ended it with a picture, but there is a few spelling problems. But other than that: you did great. There is nothing you can do more to it. You are a great writer. Doe sent everyone else think so???? I do.

This was my idea right here:

"“Come.” They whisper to me. “We have a deal to make with you.”

What deal? I think back.

“Come.” The voice says again.

“Great, you are here!” A voice squeaks.

“What?” I look at the little red haired girl in front of me."

Bellarke says...

THANK YOU ZAK!!!!

Danni88 says...

Sneaking on illlegaly at the moment but will review ASAP!!

Bellarke says...

LOL. Okay.

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex