z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Alice is Alone

by Mooilky


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Authors Note: This play is an exploration of the emotional and physical abuse tactics that are used on oneself by oneself and their abusers. While Alice is Alone does use themes and characters from the classic Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll I would say not to get your hopes up that the plot shares much similarity beyond that. I wanted to write and direct this play because as a victim of abuse I feel like it is important to share my thoughts and experiences so I can help others on their road to recovery. Some scenes can be triggering for anyone who has been a victim of abuse. If at any moment you feel like it is necessary to stop reading/watching I encourage you to do so. Without further ado…

Act One

Scene One

(It’s dark and a THUMP is heard. A single light comes up on Alice, as she is face down near a large mushroom. The edges of the room are dark and a pure beam of light rests on her face. She moans softly and looks about in terrified confusion. She gets to her feet and circles the mushroom before hesitantly sitting down and looking at her hands. She cries softly. The Figure enters with the White Rabbit mask on)

Figure: What is this? A maiden without my company? Have you the time for a chat?

Alice: Hello! Do… do I know you?

Figure: Do we know each other?

Alice: I don’t know?

Figure: How useless of you! Not to know a thing as you do. Well, I will tell you since I am in a rush. We have met once before but you did not know me then. So it stands to reason that we might still not know each other.

Alice: Oh, what is your name?

Figure: I am the White Rabbit! Take care to remember the next time we meet! I must go, I am very busy and I have no time for rude people who stop me without even knowing me.

(Exits)

Alice: I’m sorry! (To herself) Was that rude of me? How could I have known? Where had I met them? Why don’t I know? Something about their mask?

(The figure comes from behind her with a caterpillar mask on)

Figure: (slow voice) hello.

Alice: (startled) oh dear! We meet again? Is this your spot? I didn't know- if you had just said so...

Figure: Hush, I am happy to see someone else in this place. I was alone and now you are here. Who are you?

Alice: My name is Alice. (Pause) Why are you wearing a mask?

Figure: A mask? What do you mean?

Alice: (reaching for the figures face) Right here, it’s…

Figure: (aggressively grabs Alice’s arm then let’s go quickly) Oh no! I was so scared you were going to hurt me! I just reacted!

Alice: (sad and confused) What? I would never… I’m sorry. I wouldn’t?

Figure: I’m sorry! I’m sorry; I was just scared you would hit me.

Alice: (now scared of herself- she blames herself) I’m sorry I never meant to, I wouldn’t…

Figure: It’s ok I forgive you.

(The Figure hugs Alice and gives her its jacket.)

Figure: Are you hungry? I have food. Come. Eat. Drink.

(The two exit.)

Scene Two

(The Figure enters with a stool and places it where the mushroom is- before leaving with the mushroom it changes masks to that of a Cat. Alice enters alone while eating something. She is wearing the caterpillar’s jacket. The Mushroom is changed to a Stool. She sits on the stool and talks to herself.)

Alice: The food here doesn’t taste very good but it feels rude to not accept it when the Caterpillar offers it. And apparently the Caterpillar is not the White Rabbit… The Caterpillar tells me that I’ll die if I’m not careful; there are dangerous people here. The Caterpillar also says that it would make them sad if I died, and that I must never do that. (Takes bite of food and sighs) All I’ve done since I arrived is eat. I eat and eat and eat.

The Caterpillar is very handsome. They say they love me, and they’re very forgiving of my constant mistakes. I wish there was someone else to talk to. It can get lonely…

Figure: (Re-enters with Cat mask) Having a snack huh? I don’t see how you could be hungry! You look like you could go years without another bite and still have substance holding you up.

Alice: (Surprised and offended) What’s that supposed to mean?

Figure: Ah, a bit slow are we? It was a compliment! It’s fine if you don’t say thank you. Manners are silly anyway. (Laughs quickly).

Alice: It sounded like you were…

Figure: You’re new here right? I’ll give you some advice; a lot of the people around here are a bit cuckoo. Can’t trust a thing they say!

Alice: That’s what the Caterpillar told me.

Figure: The Caterpillar! Ooh they’re the worst one! Quite a nasty bit of work they are. They’ll tell you they love you and justify all sorts of nasty things with it. You know what that means right?

Alice: what?

Figure: They’re abusive! Toxic! Wacko! Can’t trust them at all. No sir.

Alice: (Dismayed) Can’t trust them! But they’ve done so much for me!

Figure: You didn’t get that food from them did you?

Alice: I did!

(The figure quickly snatches the food from Alice’s hand and throws it offstage)

Figure: They were probably poisoning you! You’re lucky I was here to save you.

Alice: Poison! But I’ve already eaten so much. Wouldn’t it have shown?

Figure: Of course not! The trickiest kinds of poison are the ones that don’t show any signs of existing at all! It’s best if you just don’t eat anything else for a while to get it out of your system. If you need to I’d even say throwing up might be your only course of action at this point (nodding sagely).

Alice: Throwing up? Oh no oh no oh no. (quickly paces around and goes offstage where retching can be heard. Coming back on stage she wails) I can’t! It won’t come out! I don’t want to die.

Figure: Ah so young to die, I wish I could help. (Starts to leave stage).

Alice: Wait! Please help me! What should I do?

Figure: Well I know the Queen worries about poison a lot. Perhaps she has an antidote? You can’t trust her either though. She might just poison you even more. Ta-ta!

(Exits)

Scene Three

Alice: (Sobbing she crumbles to the ground and stims for a minute or so. It eases to silence and she looks around as if not sure where she is.)

Alice: (softly) The queen. I need to see the queen.

(Alice walks in random circles as the light flickers slowly; she is out of it and doesn’t notice anything around her. The figure enters with the throne and places it on top of the stool, it removes the mask and replaces it with that of the Queen. The figure hides behind the throne. The light will become bright once more and Alice will stop as if startled.)

Alice: The queen. Help me please. (Silence as she approaches the throne and almost touches it)

Figure: (Popping out suddenly) Look but don’t touch! Here is a mysterious figure that knows me but won’t introduce their self? Dangerous, I say! Looking to poison me eh?

Alice: No! The opposite! I need help with an antidote, the Caterpillar poisoned me and I’ll die.

Figure: Poison! I knew it! You wish to poison me! Well luckily my antidote is here! (Pulls bottle from breast lovingly) Ah yes my antidote.

Alice: Please, a sip! I don’t want to die!

Figure: (Examining Alice) Well, neither do I! Who are you?

Alice: Knowing me would be useless! I am useless. The Caterpillar loves- but has poisoned- me and I couldn’t even throw up the poison to save myself.

Figure: Well Useless, it sounds like you don’t deserve my antidote no matter how much you want it.

Alice: But, but I deserve to live don’t I? Aren’t I worthy of that?

Figure: Are you?

Alice: I don’t know.

Figure: How useless of you, Useless! Not to know a thing as you do. It is ok though, I am a gracious monarch and I forgive you.

Alice: You do?

Figure: Of course, in fact I have taken a liking to you. I will keep you here and you can serve me the rest of our days.

Alice: Oh thank you! But what about the poison the Caterpillar fed me?

Figure: You’re quite right, here have a sip. (Offers Alice the antidote).

(Alice takes the antidote greedily and drinks all of it then retching and gasping drops to the ground.)

Alice: That was poison wasn’t it! The cat warned me! You’re a liar just like the Caterpillar.

Figure: (Cries out in anger) You drank the entire antidote! I needed that you fool! You useless...!

Scene 4 (End)

(The figure takes an axe out from behind the throne and goes after Alice. The two fight for control of the axe and Alice manages to wrestle it out of the figures hands. She raises the axe as if she’s about to hack into the figure but then drops it. Reaching forward for the mask like she did the first time, she uses both hands to take off the mask. Below the figure is gaunt and very similar to Alice. Alice throws the mask on the ground and breaks it in half with the axe. The figure is crying and looking lost. Alice turns to them.)

Alice: Who are you?

Figure: (defeated and slightly crying) I’m Alice. We have met before but you did not know me then. It stood to reason that we still might not know each other.

Alice: The masks.

Figure: I was scared you were going to hurt me.

Alice: You’re abusive.

Figure: Who are you?

(There is a mutual understanding between them as they embrace while kneeling. The THUD from the beginning is heard again. The two look offstage.)

Alice: Do you want to meet her together?

Figure: Do you think she’ll understand?

Alice: Yes.

Figure: Could she ever forgive me?

Alice: Someday.

(They walk offstage holding hands and the light fades black. END.)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 264
Reviews: 17

Donate
Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:07 pm
PoeticCowboy wrote a review...



Super great job TMWoods!! I am in awe of your work. The first part where you have Alice falling down and the White Rabbit, that kind of confused me because after the White Rabbit exits Alice says the White Rabbit's.

Personal opinion:

This is great and I wish you to write more. This work is enticing and adventerous and suspenseful, as I said, I was kind of confused in the first part, but other than that this was perfect and awesome. Great Job.

~PoeticCowboy




Mooilky says...


Thank you for taking the time to read, I'll see if there's anything I can do to make the beginning more clear!



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 3092
Reviews: 110

Donate
Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25 am
View Likes
TahaT11n wrote a review...



Hey, woods! Ooh, cool name and cool av. Welcome to a great place called Young Writers Society. I hope that like all other members, you enjoy and learn here a lot. ^-^

I really appreciate your idea of sharing your feelings and experiences. It's really important to do. It's really very needed to speak up, even if it's just a word you wanna say. And, you dear, have made a Script here, really well done with that. And, I also like your idea of using Alice in Wonderland a bit.

And, I really liked the script. Truly. Couldn't really find much to criticize..so, it's just a complement full review.

I would really love to read more of your work. Keep on writing your thoughts and experiences. ^-^ Best of luck




Mooilky says...


Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to read this :)



TahaT11n says...


:P Just get from my teeth that I am saying you are welcome ;)



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 186
Reviews: 9

Donate
Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:49 am
View Likes
Chappiez says...



So the people in the masks are really just Alice? Such a unique twist. I hope this is animated for some reason. I do feel that this is a bit fast-paced. Maybe only because it's written in script form. I don't know. Maybe it's supposed to be fast paced. Either way I do love the idea you put together. XD




Mooilky says...


Thank you for your feedback! I'll see if there's any edits I can make so it doesn't read quite so fast. :)



TahaT11n says...


both of your avs are cool. :) ;)



Chappiez says...


Thanks! :D




Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon