The Monster of Me: Chapter 2

by tigeraye

Spending the next few moments – or maybe days – drifting in and out of consciousness, Mom and Dad came to visit me. I wanted to tell them to stick around until the medicine wore off, so I could hear what they were saying. I wanted to let them know that I loved them, no matter how many times I shouted at them for petty reasons like eating my leftovers or embarrassing me in front of my friends.

But fate wouldn’t allow it. My mouth wouldn’t open. My eyes wouldn’t stop closing. My world faded to darkness, and when it returned to normal they were both gone.

I felt the squeezing hands and heard the muffled voices of many different family members. I heard them talking about all the wonderful things that I loved to do. Video games. Watching baseball. They were going to take me to GameStop, I hated GameStop but they didn’t know that. They just knew I liked playing video games. And they cared for me, and they were coming back to visit again. But the voices I heard most often were the gruff voice of Dad, and the soft voice of Mom.

And I’d be alone for eons on end. I wanted to ask the RNs to bring me something to read, if it wasn’t for the damn tube down my throat. I wondered if I could yank it out on my own. Prove to them I didn’t need it to breathe. Maybe they’d even let me out of the hospital.

It was a pointless endeavor. My only hope came from the words of a complete stranger, assuring me that I wouldn’t die. Otherwise, it definitely seemed like that was going to be the case.

But the days came and went like gusts of wind in the morning fog, drifting and disappearing, and I felt empty regardless of the company. We’re going to pick crabs together. They grabbed my hand. We’re going to go to the baseball game together, just like the good old days. They grabbed my hand. I hated sports, but Mom and Dad both loved ballgames. It was one of the only things that still brought our family together. I was always doing things I hated just for the sake of someone else.

My vision made a hazed and lethargic return. I saw Mom’s tall frame staring down at me, her short black hair, her cherry-colored nail polish. I saw her smile at me, and saw her exchange words with the doctors. I saw her come into the room, and I saw the frown on her face when she had to leave. I couldn’t quite hear what she was saying, the things people were saying seemed to be hit-or-miss. I could hear some things, but other times I couldn’t quite make anything out.

I saw Dad staring down at me. Mom and Dad couldn’t stand each other, so it made me feel good to see them not arguing for once. I saw Dad’s dark skin, his neatly trimmed beard, and his balding scalp. He removed his hands from his pockets and playfully wrapped his fingers around my nose. And I watched him leave.

Five nurses hurried into the room. My heart pounded. They grabbed me by the arms, and touched the machine, and fear settled in, what was happening? The doctor came in next, clipboard in his hands. He said some things, and God, I wish I knew what he was saying. Was this it? Was I really about to die?

A sharp sting pierced my wrist, and everything faded to a dark and lonely state of cold.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 pm
rosette wrote a review...

Hey-a Sunset!
I hope you're doing fantastic today.
This chapter seemed pretty short, so I thought I'd give it a go and review it.

I didn't read the previous chapter, and as of right now the only question I have is how this person ended up in the hospital. This chapter is short and not much happens until the end. It's basically a hospitalized person watching the world go around him. His thoughts, his inner reactions to what people are saying and doing.

I actually kind of liked how he (I'm assuming it's a he) can't say anything. He can only look, feel, not hear very well and smell. Ooh, random thought here but since you are focusing on his senses here, why not add smell? Can he really smell? I don't know how serious this injury is. But, anyway - you know how hospitals always have that chemical-ish, cleaning smell? Well, whatever. Just a thought.

My only hope came from the words of a complete stranger, assuring me that I wouldn’t die.

Um. Exactly who is this complete stranger? The doctor? A nurse?

Five nurses hurried into the room. My heart pounded. They grabbed me by the arms, and touched the machine, and fear settled in, what was happening?

This kind of presented a weird image. I just pictured five nurses marching in and grabbing this guy by the arms, then touching the machine. Why were they grabbing him by the arms?

The doctor came in next, clipboard in his hands. He said some things, and God, I wish I knew what he was saying. Was this it? Was I really about to die?

This could be a mistake on my part because I didn't read the previous chapter, but just how serious was this guy banged up? It must have been pretty bad if he's jumping to the conclusion that he might die. And going back to the "complete stranger" part - if they were part of the hospital staff and said he wouldn't die, then he shouldn't, right? They would know. And his parents aren't sobbing all over the place every time they see him buuut he is on medicine so what's a drugged guy going to assume anyway?

I probably should go back and read the chapter before this, aha.
Have a fantastic day, Sunset! I'll see ya around.
cheers!
-rosette

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:31 am
rawrafied wrote a review...

Hello again! Since this is also in the green room, thought I'd take a look at this one as well.

But the days came and went like gusts of wind in the morning fog, drifting and disappearing, and I felt empty. We’re going to pick crabs together.

This was an odd transition. Later on, it sounds like you're implying the parents are either back or never left and are talking to the kid about promising they'd pick crabs again. But, it's odd because it sounds like they left earlier and they just suddenly appear again. Granted, you're probably doing it to sound like the narrator is zoning in-and-out of consciousness. But you're jumping from the narrator giving descriptions to a line that reads more like thoughts/dialogue without signaling to the reader that's the case. Not to mention that those are the thoughts of the parents, not the narrator.

I could hear somethings, but other times I couldn’t quite make anything out.

Should be some things. "Somethings" is not a noun and you cannot hear it. "Things" is a noun that you can. And you determine what the noun is with the determiner "some".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, this was tough, since there's not a lot to critique. xD This is not common for me. I don't want to waste either of our time on a bunch of nitpicks. So, I guess I'll just spend the rest of this review just focusing on my overall perception of this chapter.

First off, the character's monologue felt more natural in this chapter than it did last chapter. Granted, I thought you did a great job last chapter. But in the first chapter, there were times--during the first half--that you were going for a poetic description that may not necessarily reflect your character's method of viewing the world. In this chapter, the mentality of the character and how they viewed the world seemed more realistic. For example:

I wanted to let them know that I loved them, no matter how many times I shouted at them for petty reasons like eating my leftovers or embarrassing me in front of my friends.

And:

They were going to take me to GameStop, I hated GameStop but they didn’t know that. They just knew I liked playing video games.

Both do a great job of establishing the narrator, the ancillary characters, the immobility of the narrator, and the mood of the scene. You have several great lines like this throughout this installment, but I just picked these two since they came first.

Meanwhile, the direction of the plot seems to be a bit clearer now. If I understand, this is the story of a person viewing the world from a coma-like state? If so, that's a really cool plot idea. However, at the end, you seem to be implying they might be dying. Which, if they do, it's really early on in this story. So, maybe you're taking the readers in another direction. Just hard to comment fully on this early in the story.

As a reader, I'm very curious about this line:

He pressed his hands in his pockets and playfully wrapped his fingers around my nose.

Did the father do something to the narrator? Was the mother in on it? That would be horrible, especially if they were able to overcome their differences just to keep from having to remain responsible for their child. You don't have to answer this, but that's what's my speculation is as a reader.

Otherwise, I think the ending was far more climatic here than the ending of the last chapter. So, good job there.

Anyways, that's about all I can say. Hopefully something from this was helpful.

No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance