God

by tigeraye

It was Superbowl Sunday, but there was nothing super about another miserable day of work at the city Burger King. This was no ordinary Superbowl. Not only was my team in the game for the first time in thirty years, but I had tickets. I was going to go. It was going to be the greatest day in my entire life.

But then my shrew of a boss called me into work that night at the last second, meaning those five-hundred dollar tickets were going to go to waste.

“You don’t always get what you want,” she egotistically told me over the phone. “Give those tickets to someone who could use them.”

Fat chance. My night shift got even better when I was scrubbing tables, and a fat black woman waltzed into the eatery.

“Hello! Hello!” She cried out at the top of her lungs, dressed in an oversized violet dress, her thick black hair braided into yellow ribbons. “I am here to preach the heavenly word of the Holy Spirit!”

“Oh, please,” I muttered to myself, rolling my eyes.

“God has spoke to me!” She belted, a gleaming look in her round, green eyes. “He told me to preach his word right here in this Burger King!”

The whole thing was so ridiculous, I couldn’t help but laugh. “What’s so funny?” She asked in return, placing her hands on her hips, turning her droopy face towards mine. “Why are you laughing? I don’t think there’s anything at all humorous about my God.”

“Your God. Right,” I scoffed, continuing to scrub down the same table. “Let me ask you this. Are you stupid?”

The woman’s mouth dropped as she raised one thick eyebrow to the top of her forehead. “I don’t think I am.”

“Then why are you here?” I asked. “Because some man in the sky told you to preach his word in the local fast food joint?”

“He did!” The woman assured me. “He told me to speak right here!”

“There is no God!” I yelled. “And you’re a retard. Anyone who believes in God is a complete idiot. It's all just a scam for fat preachers to sell books and make money. You know what? Screw it. I hate this stupid job, I hate my dead-end life, and I hate this Earth. And I hate Christians. I want to go kill myself.”

I dropped the washrag back on the table and stormed out of the restaurant.

***

My only concern on the drive home through the dark and gloomy night was one thing. The Super Bowl. I was going to get to the stadium that night, even if it meant the stupid traffic laws would have to be cut around just a little tiny bit.

The light was green, but the truck in front of me stopped anyway. “Come on,” I scoffed, repeatedly honking my horn. “Move your stupid truck, you moron!”

Finally, the car moved, but it was too late; the light was already yellow. No you don’t! I said to myself. I was finished. I was done. I was done being bossed around that day. I was done being tossed around by the feckless thing we call life each and every single day.

The light was red.

I gritted my teeth and slammed down onto the gas pedal anyway.

A white minivan crashed into the front side of my used sports car.

I wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

*Crash*

I saw my dead body on the street down below, blood spurting from my head, and I wanted to cry, and I wanted to feel the pain but I felt nothing at all. I drifted further up, phasing past the trees and the grass and the city streets, past the buildings and taking to the clouds.

I could see the whole city from there and the place I once called home, as slowly but surely I rose past the sun, expecting to be burnt but not even feeling the least bit warmer. I looked to my left, and then to my right. Two angels held warmly onto me as I looked down below, but there were no feet. I had no hands. I tried to breathe but I had no lungs.

I ascended to a bright blue and green oasis. A gargantuan temple made of silver stone laid before me near a bed of roses. A mightily earth-shattering sound rumbled like an earthquake, as a blinding light appeared in the distance.

“Who am I?” A gravelly, comfortingly booming voiced cried out. “Tell me who I am.”

I couldn’t look at the light. I looked at the angels, who weren't looking at it either. But I tried to do it anyway and I just couldn’t! I couldn’t move, like he was holding me down without laying a single finger on me. “You’re…you’re…” I muttered, not knowing how I was able to speaking without a human body.

The earth-shattering noise rumbled again, as if he heard every single thought I had. “Say it!” He roared in an eternally powerful voice. “Say my name!”

“You’re God,” I responded in a feeble voice.

“I’m your God,” he responded. “And do you know who this is?”

The blinding light consumed me even further, until I could see nothing else. It then turned to darkness.

The woman from before appeared in the light. “That’s…that’s…”

“She needs no name, but I call her my child,” God said. “A flawed child, but a child at that. The only difference is that she embraced me, while you only mock me. For twenty-one years, you did nothing but mock me! Try to turn my other children against me!”

“So what are you going to do?” I shouted. “Send me to Hell? Good! Satan doesn't torture people like me, Satan makes people like me his king!"

God cackled in exchange, a single strike of lightning going off with a thunderous roar. “That would be too easy,” God said. “You aren’t going to die. Not today.”

“Not today? So what? You’re going to send me back to Earth?”

“That’s right,” God responded. “You’re going to stay on Earth forever!”

***

Two-hundred years have passed. Glaucoma took my eyesight so I can’t see anymore, while my legs and muscles have become so weak that I can no longer walk. Cancer ripped me apart when I was eighty-years-old, so for the past one-hundred and twenty years I’ve done nothing but breathe from a tube lying completely comatose.

But I’m still alive. All my family is dead. All my friends are dead. But here I live, and I still feel the pain each and every day. Every beat of the heart hurts, every breath I take a swelling, blistering pain. Never again will I feel the warmth of a radiant sunshine, the smoothness of the sand from a walk across the wonderful beach. The kiss of a true love, the joy of taking home a paycheck every other Friday afternoon. All the simple things in life I once enjoyed are now gone forever.

I don’t deserve this. Nobody does.

God knows I don’t deserve this.

I know you can hear me, God.

I’m sorry.

Please set me free.

Whatabook wrote a review...

It was very good story full of suspense you mean the fat lady was the messenger of god as she was trying to save her but he died for a second and now he was alive so suspend full but the man was really unlucky I see his family died all of everyone was dead who was beloved to him it was good that he should so that he will not miss them but it was god who knew everything,
All of everything good story keep writing

AutoPilot wrote a review...

Hello.

So that was interesting. But I do not think that interesting is quite the right word, maybe intriguing is the word I'm looking for.

First off; just as a work of writing, that was really good. It had a lot of interesting details and thoughts put out there. I really liked it, it was a good read and it was well written.

But. I feel that your view of Yahweh, of Allah, of Abba Father, of God, is not right.

I'm a christian. I feel, and remember this is just my opinion, that this portrayal of God is wrong. God is kindness, because he cares about us. God is mercy because he loves us. God is patience, because he never gives up on us. God is everything and nothing, he is approachable, he is in us and with us. More than anything; God is love. He is the highest, most powerful form of love, He is capable of agape love to an extent no one else can reach.

I think that the way you present him is bad. God loves us, all of us. He loves the most evil of the evil scum on this Earth. God blesses his servants and children. Even those evilest of people are his children though. God would not punish man like that because he is not like that. You have made him seem like a horrible jerk up in the sky, this is not God. He would have done his best to turn the character you have developed to him. He does not tamper with free will, but he would have done his best. He would not however have condemmed him, he would not have hurt a man like that.

Well, there is my religous rant, do with it what you will.

Good job and Keep On Writing

tigeraye says...

sorry if I offended you at all, my interpretation was that God banished him to eternal separation for never accepting him. It's a different interpretation on what Hell is, in other words. also, when God mentioned his death, he only said "Not today", so I would think that immediately after this story, or when the rapture happens, he would return to Heaven

AutoPilot says...

Don't worry, not offence felt here! I understand now thatyou have pointed that out. You did a really good job on this, it was really well written and I did enjoy reading it.

Mazuurek wrote a review...

Hey there, I spotted this story in the Green Room and thought I'd drop a few comments.

First off, the whole theme of imperfect immortality isn't too unusual, but I'll always love it because it asks so many existential questions. It's a goldmine for content, and if you intend on extending this past a short story you'll have plenty of related themes to explore.

I've never really seen the concept of imperfect immortality being used as outright punishment before, so kudos to you on coming up with something unusual. I think you could have afforded to place a bit more emphasis on the double-edged nature of immortality. Sure, the part at the end (after 200 years) does highlight this, but you could have also explored the concept in the conversation the narrator was having with God. This provides a great opportunity for you to characterise this "God" further, because as it is his character isn't adequately established. Perhaps you could find a way to make the black woman more prominent in the story as well, be it fleshing out the scenes with her in them or having her words echo in the narrator's mind.

Writing-wise I didn't really see any issues with your English. It's fine for the most part. You have a certain knack for describing many faucets of your narrator's psyche at any given point in time, so that's something you might want to explore in greater depth in the future.

All in all, good work. Keep it up.

P.S. This is a little nitpicky but I'd like to mention that the sun is a pretty damn long distance away from Earth, so your narrator's slow rising past the sun would have taken a pretty long time. Maybe you could rephrase that part or something.

allyoop wrote a review...

This was an extremely interesting story to read. Is it a short story or a beginning to a book? I can see it going either way. I thought the idea in and of itself is brilliant and has so much potential which I believe you fulfilled nicely.

Only criticisms are that we do not know the protagonist's name and when he/she meets God and the woman is brought before him, it is not clear who she is. She was not given a name either, but I think just adding "from earlier" or "in the purple dress" might have helped clear that up. Maybe no names is an artistic choice to try and make the theme of the story and God stand out more, so in that case disregard everything I have said.

Other than those, your story was interesting and had my attention from the beginning to the start. Keep writing!

tigeraye says...

i appreciate it, thanks.

tigeraye says...

its just a short by the way.

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March