z

Young Writers Society


12+

Burning Bridges

by inktopus


People say that I was crazy, they say it was better that I died. People say it was a tragedy that she died, but that the world was done a favor when I went with her. But I'm not crazy, I saved my family from falling apart, I did the world a favor by killing that woman. It was a bright September morning the day that I first met her.

"Eliza," my father exclaimed, "Meet Mildred, your future step-mother." He gestured to a prim looking woman with a sour mouth and wrinkles on her forehead as if she were perpetually perplexed.

Step-mother? Why had I never heard of this arrangement before? I was hurt. Was I not enough woman for this household? Was I inadequate? I steeled myself and replied stiffly, "May you have a happy marriage."

I'd hoped that would be the end of it, that I wouldn't have to attend the wedding of this gold-digging wretch to my beloved father. But alas, I had hoped too soon, "We were hoping you'd be the maid of honor. . ." My father trailed off, looking for my response.

My abdomen twisted and flipped like an acrobat at a circus, but I steadied myself and agreed, not wanting to disappoint my father.

The wedding came and went, with me as the maid of honor, my older brother as my father's best man, and Virginia, my younger sister as a flower-girl.

Mildred moved into our house and I was forced to watch as my father paid for extravagant dresses, trimmed with silk and satin. I looked on as she cajoled my father into buying her gold and silver jewelry. She spoke of marrying me off, and finding a wife for Matthew as well.

As my hatred for her simmered, and slowly started to bubble I mentioned my dislike of her to my brother.

"I'm not partial to her either," he admitted as he adjusted his cravat, "Have you seen the way she looks at Virginia? She obviously hates all of us. You've heard the way she speaks about marrying us off."

I nodded, this made sense to me. "Yes," I said, "It'd be nice if she could just disappear, but sorcery isn't exactly something we can use."

"Ah," Matthew said, sitting on a plush chair, "But it is. You can make her disappear; you can save this family."

"But how?" I asked.

"By killing her of course!"

"What?" I asked, I couldn't kill someone, could I?

"Murder, it's the easiest way to get rid of someone, isn't it?" he said, "You just have to be very thorough."

I narrowed my eyes, "Why can't you kill her?" I asked accusingly.

"Because I'm the better liar of course, one of us will need an alibi, and we all know you can't lie to save your life Literally."

I cocked my head, oh, I laughed lightly, "Okay, I'll do it on Sunday next week, after church I can drag her off and kill her."

He shook his head, his mouth in a narrow line, "No! You must do it tonight, I don't care how, but kill her on the bridge, and you can push her body into the river afterwards."

I nodded, it was a good plan, and easy to get away with. "Okay," I agreed, "I'll do it tonight."

He laughed, and now that I recall it, it was a great deal more sinister than any of his other laughs.

That night I dressed in my plainest dress and begged Mildred out for an evening stroll. After my talk with Matthew I'd decided to burn her. I had hid some gasoline near the bridge earlier.

Discreetly, I tucked some matches into my dress, and headed out of my room and out the door with my much hated step-mother.

As we walked the moon rose, big and yellow-orange, a harvest moon. I smiled as I saw it.

"Pretty," I remarked, "It reminds me of a fire."

Mildred agreed, "Yes indeed, a fire. You know, one day we should host a bonfire; it'd be splendid!"

I agreed amiably and we ambled in a roundabout way to the bridge. We reached the old, rotting bridge and she tisked in disgust, "They should really knock that down and rebuild it. It's a-"

I made a growling noise in my throat and grabbed the gasoline. I pushed the woman onto the bridge, and poured the foul smelling liquid on her. She shrieked. I struck a match, its flame yellow-orange, like the harvest moon hanging in the darkening sky.

I stepped a good distance back and threw the match at her. It hit her face, and the flames spread like water on paper.

She screamed hoarsely and clawed at her reddening and blistering face, "Make it stop!" She screamed, "It hurts!"

I relished her screams. I loved them; I loved them more than I loved my own family. My murdering her was no longer about saving my family; it was about my own pleasure. The pleasure I derived from killing my step-mother. This could become protocol.

A flickering light in the corner of my eye distracted me from the delicious screams of my step-mother.

It was my brother laughing at his own deceit, holding a torch, he beckoned to me and I was about to go to him. But his face changed and hardened. He threw the torch upon the gasoline soaked bridge; soaked from when I dumped the gasoline on the woman.

She was no longer Mildred, but a nameless, faceless woman keening as the flames licked at her body, begging for Death to take her away, to save her, to take her into the dark, dank, coolness of the grave.

The bridge burned as easily as the woman burned. The rotten wood snapping and cracking apart, I couldn't run, the other half of the bridge had been destroyed years ago by a fallen tree. The flames raced toward me and caught on my dress. The bridged buckled and creaked.

And then I was falling. A sharp pain in my neck is what killed me; I broke it, my heart stopped. And I was floating, watching my brother laugh, I wasn't the crazy one. He was. I didn't burn down the bridge, he did. All I wanted to do was save our family; I tried to save our family. And what do I get? Death and a bad reputation.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:26 am
erilea wrote a review...



Hey, StormCycle! Lupa here for a review! :D Let's jump in to this one...

1) "But alas, I had hoped too soon, "We were hoping you'd be the maid of honor. . ."" Here, you don't need a comma after "soon," just a period.

2) "As my hatred for her simmered, and slowly started to bubble I mentioned my dislike of her to my brother." Another issue with the commas. The one after "simmered" should be placed after "bubble."

3) I feel like your main character would be less excited about murder. You want your reader to like Eliza, right (I should hope)? Give her a bigger conscience about it. Basically, she's going, "Oh, I don't like this person. How do I get rid of her? Murder sounds fine, easy, and simple to get away with." That defies a lot of our expectations of murder, and if you would work on making this more realistic instead of just hurrying the plot along, I would appreciate this more.

4) "I cocked my head, oh, I laughed lightly," There should be quotation marks around "oh," and "oh" should be capitalized. And why is Eliza laughing lightly? Killing someone isn't exactly a fun and entertaining activity.

5) I think you could've ended it better. The main character cuts your (extremely dark) story off by complaining, which isn't the best note to end on. Tie it off neatly and find something that really wraps it up.

Overall, your description is great and your idea is gruesome but intriguing. You did well with this! Your flow could be better, though, and at some times it felt rushed. Keep writing and improving!

XOX,
Lupa22




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 1454
Reviews: 44

Donate
Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:01 am
CharlotteS wrote a review...



So I enjoyed reading this. It was filled with emotion and I feel this gave it a personal edge. I love how there was a betrayal from a brother. I feel this makes it easier for the reader to be sympathetic to her situation. I would like more information though. Why did her brother burn the bridge? Why did the step mother hate the children? I feel there needs to be a bit more of a background story. However I loved this story and the emotion that came with it.




inktopus says...


I can't answer most of your questions because when I wrote this I didn't consider backstory at all or even why the brother killed Eliza. As for the step mother, she never hated the children. That was just Eliza's irrational hatred for her and the brother playing off of her hatred of the mother. I hope this clears up at least a little bit for you!



CharlotteS says...


Yes, thank you. I thought that Eliza was overreacting.



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 133
Reviews: 45

Donate
Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:45 am
Pentavalence wrote a review...



Hullo StormCycle! Welcome to YWS! (I shouldn't talk. I've only been here for three days.)

Anyway, first things first: that's quite the story! I like how vicious and brutal the characters are. Here are some ways you can improve:

#1: What time period is this in? It's marked as historical fiction, but what's the era? You talk about gasoline, which must be recent, but you also mention marrying off (although that still happens in part of the world). Could you give us an explicit date, or just throw in more details about the era? (Clothing, technology, ethics, etc.)

#2: It wasn't immediately clear that the protagonist was dead. I got that she murdered her stepmother and got a bad rep, just not that she herself had died.

#3: Why would the protagonist have an immediate negative reaction to Mildred if she's never met her before? Does she feel replaced? What happened to her mother?

#4: The brother. Wow, what a character! Killing seems very matter-of-fact to him. Why? Wouldn't a normal person be shocked at the mention of murder? Why would he kill his own sister? What's his motive? I want to know more!

Overall, not bad!
-Pen




inktopus says...


Yeah, looking back gasoline was a bad choice considering I imagined it to be the mid-1800s. But I wrote it in 8th grade so what can you do? I really appreciate the review.



Pentavalence says...


No problem!



User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 575
Reviews: 193

Donate
Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:27 am
herbgirl wrote a review...



Hello! herbgirl here for a review!
First of all, welcome to YWS! i hope you enjoy your time here! i know i sure have so far.
Now, on to the review! This is a very good base for one of your first works, and i look forward to reading more from you in the future. You seem to have a strong voice, and i enjoyed reading your descriptions of the characters, mainly the stepmother. However, i do have a few suggestions for you as to how to improve this story, mainly about your plot.
However, before i get into that, i think it would be good to ask you to clarify what time period this story takes period in. You mention gasoline and matches, which suggests the story was more modern, but you also detail marrying off in terms that make it seem more common-place, which would indicate an older time period. i suggest changing the way you talk about marrying off, maybe calling it something else, so that the story can be more modern, and keep the gasoline which was the protagonist's final undoing.
First! During the conversation between your main character and her brother, the protagonist does not seem at all surprised by her brother's suggestion that she ought to kill her stepmother. i found this very odd, since if it were suggested to me that i ought to kill a hated member of my family, i would be appalled. Give a little more detail about the protagonist's reaction to her brother's suggestion. If she is shocked, that would allow the audience to relate to her more. If she wonders why she hadn't had the wonderful idea of murder, the audience can understand just how crazy she is.
The other part about the story that needed a little bit more elaboration was the end, where the brother kills the protagonist. Now, this part just seemed like it needed a little bit more thinking through. If there was already gasoline all over the bridge, why was the bridge not already on fire? Perhaps the brother could spread more gasoline onto the protagonist to kill her. Also, this scene would be another great time to include more of the protagonist's emotions. Is she surprised her brother is doing this? Or did she suspect it along? Does she think she deserves it.
Anyways, sorry if that review seemed a little harsh. If you need any help or clarification on any of the things i mentioned, please just let me know, i'd be happy to explain further for you! And remember, this was a very good start. Keep working, and i look forward to reading your future works!
herbgirl




inktopus says...


I feel pretty flattered that you think that this story is fairly strong because it really is an early work for me. I actually wrote it for school in 8th grade. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind when I write in the future. Thanks for the review!




If you have a dream, you have a duty to make it come true.
— Marco Pierre White