i forgive you.

by Stellarjay

*This poem was inspired by the short story "Thank you M'am" by Langston Hughes.*

Hunger and dirt engulfs you,

a full purse passes you by.

But it may cause you to lose your balance.

She may shake you so hard you teeth rattle,

drag you down the street

and report you to the police.

But she may also drag you into her home,

wash your face

and say “eat some more.”

You may say “Forgive me m’am and thank you.”

But she has already forgiven and forgotten.

Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 am

Hello, Stellarjay. Your poem is indeed very realistic as it tells about human nature and the choices one has in this life. On one hand a robbed person can report someone to the police on the other hand they may see that person's hunger, listen to their morality and refrain from involving the law. They may be kind enough to give you money or provide you with food.
The line "Hunger and dirt" engulfs you shows that the robber is just desperate for food and does not mean to cause trouble. The fear is palpable in the line "She may shake you so hard your teeth may rattle". I always thought it comes down to everyone's moral compass, whether they choose to extend a hand in help or not. The alternative consequence, helping someone, is beautiful and never fails to bring happy tears into my eyes.
I like how the m'am has already forgotten and forgiven it shows she has a precious soul, more precious than rubies.

Stellarjay says...

Thank you for your review!

Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 am
Beautifulsparkle wrote a review...

Sat May 02, 2020 4:00 am
ToxicAnglerFish wrote a review...

Hello! I have come to review your poem today!

This poem is so realistic and very simple but yet conveys a very powerful message of being kind towards a stranger. It paints the woman as extremely forgiving and kind towards a man who tried to steal her purse because she understands that the homeless man may have had a bad life to lead him up to this desperate situation. Instead of taking him to the police, she takes him home and gives him something still, food, and a warm house to stay in. She has "forgiven and forgotten" because she has kindness in her heart and knows the man is truly apologetic. Its a very kind, heartfelt, poem that has an excellent rhyme scheme and flows to it, its simple, short, but convey's its message perfectly for a universal lesson on the importance of giving, forgiving, and being kind towards other. Excellent job!

Stellarjay says...

Thank you so much!

JellyRose wrote a review...

Hello, I am JellyRose, and I am here to review your work, "I forgive you."

I have to look up the piece that this was inspired by, but for now, I shall read it as a separate work that isn't tied to "Thank you Ma'am" by Langston Hughes.

I really like this. I like that it's basically free of any physical feature descriptors so it can relate to anyone who may have tried to steal a person's personal possessions such as the woman's purse. I really like the ending especially, with how she takes the "thief" home and feeds them and helps them wash up. This gives the readers an implication that the thief may have been homeless or really in the realm of poverty.

I love the last line, "But she has already forgiven and forgotten." It shows how strong the woman is. And how at the end of the day, sure something went wrong, but instead of holding it against the person that wronged her, she forgave them and even helped them, which is really kind of her.

Overall, this is a fantastic poem and I enjoyed the flow of it, and that I didn't have to reread it to understand what you meant with certain things. (Sometimes that happens in poetry, but here, it didn't and that's awesome!). Keep up the fabulous work. And have a wonderful day.

Stellarjay says...

Thank you so much!

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx