Home » Literary works » Poetry » Other

Joyfull

by Stellarjay

April is a time for joy.

A smile on ones face,

a flower behind ones ear,

and a skirt upon ones waist.

Spring is in full force.

The land begins to flourish

with marigolds and daisies alike.

The trees cover up with wonderful greens

ready for the little birds to sing a sweet tune. 

Sing and be glad!

the silent winter is gone,

life and joy has returned to the land!

StarlitMind wrote a review...

Hey there!
This is a really cute poem! It's light and fun and very enjoyable to read. I love poems about nature/seasons, and I think you did a really good job with this! I have a few things I'd like to point out, if you don't mind. These are just suggestions, so you don't have to listen to them :D

The first thing I'd like to mention is stanzas. I think your poem could use them; often times, stanzas make a poem easier to read. Your poem does look fine without stanzas too, especially since it isn't that long, but I figured I'd point this out anyway! I've put one way you could divide it up in the spoiler below.

April is a time for joy.

A smile on ones face,

a flower behind ones ear,

and a skirt upon ones waist.

Spring is in full force.

The land begins to flourish

with marigolds and daisies alike.

Sing and be glad!

the silent winter is gone,

life and joy has returned to the land!

The next thing I'd like to mention is capitalization. You capitalize the beginning of every sentence, but there's one spot that you don't:

the silent winter is gone,

The previous line ended with an exclamation mark, so this is a new sentence, but you didn't capitalize it like you usually did. I recommend remaining consistent with your capitalization.

The next thing I'd like to mention is rhyme scheme. You set up a rhyme scheme in the first four lines, but then that's it. it sets up a false idea for the reader that you're going to rhyme throughout the poem. I personally would pick one - rhyme all the way or don't rhyme at all - but that's up to you.

The last thing I'd like to mention are these lines for a grammar error:

A smile on ones face,

a flower behind ones ear,

and a skirt upon ones waist.

I believe "ones" should be "one's" and I confirmed it with this article so I wouldn't be spreading misinformation; "The possessive pronoun one’s requires an apostrophe before the S, unlike 'its,' 'hers,' and other personal pronouns. Examples: 'pull oneself up by one’s own bootstraps,' 'a jury of one’s peers,' 'minding one’s own business.'"

Overall, this is a cute and lighthearted poem. I really enjoyed reading it, and I hope this helped!

Stellarjay says...

Beautifulsparkle wrote a review...

Hello, your poem is beautiful and it also reminds me of my favourote season. I like how it is like an ode to spring with beautiful flowers, chirping birds and a triumph over winter.
I smiled at the introduction with "flower behind one's ear and a skirt upon one's waist"
The poem is charming. The sing and be glad advice is fitting as spring is, in my opinion, one of the most melodious times of the year.

Stellarjay says...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

MoonIris wrote a review...

Hi! I hope you're doing great. The poem is rather short so my review would be the same. I think you chose a beautiful topic and you wrote about it in simple but well-chosen words. This poem makes me feel very peaceful and positive. It's perfect for this time and I haven't seen many poems about spring. I really don't have any negative critic to do but I would like to make you a suggestion. I really think that you should add rhymes. Even if your poem it's very simple if you add rhymes it will make it sound better. It's not that important but I think your readers will enjoy it. I hope my review helped. I definitely liked your poem! Have a great day!

Stellarjay says...

Thank you for your review! I'll definitely try write a poem with more rhyming in it.

Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 am
AtlasW wrote a review...

Hi, Stellarjay! I'm Atlas, popping in to give your poem, Joyfull, a quick review. I haven't done this in a while, so forgive me if I'm a bit rusty. Also, I want to make it clear that all of my statements regarding your work are purely my own, and I mean no offense by any of them. (Please tell me if you find something I say offensive!) I also want to remind you that all of my statements are nothing more than suggestions, and you can feel free to use all, or none, or them if you chose to edit this piece. Anyway, let's jump right in!

I loved reading this poem. The imagery you created brought a smile to my face. Positivity like this is just what we need right now in the world.

I do want to acknowledge that your title does seem to have a spelling error. "Joyful" is the typical spelling of the word. The only other grammatical error I noticed was, in the second to last line, "the" should be capitalized, because it starts a new sentence.

Other than that, I didn't notice any glaring issues with this piece! The imagery was absolutely wonderful, and you used a good combination of longer and shorter sentences, which really helped with the flow of the piece. Great job!

Thanks again, and happy writing!
~Atlas

Stellarjay says...

Thanks for the review! I didn't find anything offensive! :)

Mon May 18, 2020 2:20 am
sulagna wrote a review...

Hi Stellarjay...

Though I have read many poems like this but I enjoyed your poem the most.
I liked these lines...."The land begins to flourish

with marigolds and daisies alike."

A poem must be something which You can imagine in ur own way and understand the meaning.
though this poem was wonderful, i would advice u to add up a little details to ur poem like u mentioned the birds,the flowers... u could have also written about honeybees buzzing around,The sky fool blue and etc.

This will not only elaborate ur poem but also will bring more completeness to ur writing piece.

I hope u got the point which i am trying to say.

Otherwise ur poem was GREAT! Keep it up! and keep writing !

Stellarjay says...

Thank you for the review!

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller