Home » Literary works » Other » Other

Which blurb captured your intrigue and what are your honest thoughts about the blurbs?

by Stars of Butterfly

Hi! :) Which among these blurbs captured your intrigue the most? Which blurb makes you want to read the story? Please let me know your honest thoughts about each blurb and how can I improved them. Thank you so much!

Waiting For You

Alyssa has secret feelings for Mathew. As the years passed by, slowly they drifted apart. But her love for him remains. Will she keep waiting for Mathew? Or will she let him go? This story is based on true events.

Summer in Love

Every two years, Summer visits the beach and meets up with her childhood friends: Kenny, and the siblings Angeline and Ryan. They spend most of their time in the siblings' family mansion, where over the weeks Summer finds herself falling for Ryan. Every night onward she wishes upon the stars for requited love. But apparently they seem to have gotten confused as Summer finds out Kenny harbors feelings for her. To further complicate this summer, while the friends attend a music festival, Vince, the lead singer of a featured band, captures Summer's attention. This turn of events changes her summer forever.

My Secret Admirer

Kayla thinks no guy could ever fall for her, believing herself to be too unattractive. What’s worse is that at school, her classmates call her “fugly”. But one day, unexpectedly, she receives a love letter, from her secret admirer. Who could it be, her best friend, Michael? Maybe her current crush, Ralph? 

Sakura

Petals of cherry blossoms touch the skies. The music hums in the light breeze of spring. In every heartbeat, unfolds a story of love. Who’ll win Sakura’s heart?

Stars in the Dark

Looking at the brightest stars in the darkest skies, remind us of love. If you love someone, this collection of poetry will bring you into a journey of finding real love and let you go back in time you've felt these powerful emotions.

Letters for Juliet

Romeo wrote a thousand letters for the girl he will love. Juliet is a girl that guys never take notice of. Not until she meets Romeo, the first guy who told her she's beautiful. Beyond Romeo's handsome appearance is a pure heart. Will Romeo and Juliet find the love that they deserve from each other?

Music Heart

Lynn never smiles ever since that day her world shattered. Her only friend is a pair of earphones, music, and poetry... until she meets a guy with midnight hair.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:20 pm
wolfyuwu wrote a review...

Hey! ^^

I like blurbs. They're always fun to write for anything I've completed because I find the challenge of making them short but still descriptive very encouraging, and I also think reading them can be fun if they draw in my attention.

I do have tips on writing blurbs too:

1. The first line matters. If it's stiff and flat, I would put the book down and move on to another. It has to be exciting and if that draws in your audience of choice, you'll have some more people reading your story, and that's always a good thing.

Let's look at "Alyssa has secret feelings for Mathew" vs. "Petals of cherry blossoms touch the skies." That description of petals makes the blurb enjoyable, when every love story is the same "secret feelings" over and over, so it feels bland.

2. Stay true to whatever voice you used when writing. If I see something that is flowy and soft, but when I read the story, it's harsh and choppy, I'd be a little disappointed that I didn't get what I originally wanted going into everything.

Now onto my favorite ~ I really like Letters for Juliet because I am a big nerd for things like that, and it just makes me feel all mushy inside. I really like love stories of any kind if I'm honest, so I'd pick them all if I could.

Other people might pick Stars in the Dark or Sakura though, because of all the language used in those vs. the other ones.

wolfy <3

Thank you so much for your review and for expressing your choices among the blurbs. I appreciate it a lot. I'll keep in mind your votes and honest comments. :D

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:58 pm
VioletFantasy says...

The first blurb really caught my attention, mainly because it's something I can really relate to. I would really love to read any of these story ideas though!! They have great potential. :)

Thank you so much commenting. I appreciate it a lot. I'll keep in mind your comments. :D

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:37 pm
nightshadows says...

Personally I love all of them! But the one that really intrigued me was starts in the dark! I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your comments, and I appreciate it. I'll keep in mind your choice among the other blurbs. Yes, it's truly helpful. :D

nightshadows says...

No probelm!!! :D

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:27 pm
illy7896 wrote a review...

I personally love Stars in the Dark, I thought that that was really beautiful and something that would be read with interest and peaceful thoughts.
I also loved Sakura, it's very interesting and strange, mythological. I loved the line 'petals of cherry blossoms touch the sky' that's truly hooking.

With the blurb for 'Waiting for you' could you add a little more detail? Could you add a few more main events?

With the blurb, 'Summer in Love' when you said will change her summer forever, I think perhaps change her life forever would be more applicable, since summer is something temporary and doesn't last for long so if you said will change her life, this seems more dramatic and significant.

I hope this helps and well done with the blurbs :)

Thank you so much for giving your comments. I appreciate it. I'll keep in mind your choices among the blurbs. Yes, your comment help me. :D

illy7896 says...

No problem

Everyone left so I'm turning this into a writing club. Behave.
— LadyBird