The Stargazer

by starlitmind

This is actually a poem I wrote around two years ago that I dug up and decided to share :)

she was a stargazer

she wore the stars so perfectly,

moonbeams threaded in her hair.

her eyes held the galaxy,

she was the sun and all its flares

but the story was so different

behind her perfect, starlit mask.

while her picture looked so flawless,

her heart was just starting to crack

she lived in her dark vastness,

her shattered heart collecting dust -

and all she did was sit in silence

and cry tears of glass and stardust

FireEyes wrote a review...

Heya star! Incoming review of 2020 star poetry that was actually 2018 star poetry. But star poetry nonetheless. Let's dive in!

I think I see a lovely trend of your poetry of being kind, delectate, and gentile. I can't stop reading your first stanza. It grazes my heart and I keep wanting that touch, so I keep re-reading it. Your rhyming scheme for it is just *chef's kiss* and it paints such a vivid picture in my head that I want to paint it. I can see her with her delicate star crown, the soft glow of her hair, her galaxy shot eyes, and a radiant persona. But even with this seemingly perfect girl, there is already this aura of tension that she isn't happy. Your use of the past tense makes it apparent.

Now for the second stanza. Our girl is not picture prefect, her heart is cracking, breaking. I think something that sets this stanza out from others a person might write is that you only show her "suffering" in one line. Someone (like myself) would have probably made each line correspond with each other previous line in the first stanza, breaking the image of the perfect stargazer. But I like how with the first three lines you build up to the condition of her heart.

behind her perfect, starlit mask.
And how can I not gush about this line? I mean your username is starlitmind. But I hope you were doing well at the time.<333

Okay the last stanza. I like the imagery in this one. I love how you use her "prefect" appearance in this and you don't make her sob. There are only tears, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes I think it's better to have a character silently cry due to an overwhelm of emotions, instead of sob. Sometimes it can even have a greater effect.
her shattered heart collecting dust -
I think this is my favourite line. A lot of the time some people might be too broken to love someone or anything, and that exempts their pain. Because you can't love without pain. And with it collecting dust, man, it just moves me. I don't know what else to say.

I don't have any real critiques, I think people previous to me might have taken care of that. I dunno I haven't read them though. I hope you enjoyed. And I mean this story uses celestial and space theme, how could I not love it XD. But have a great day and I'll be back tomorrow. Anyway byeeeeeeeeeeee<3333

starlitmind says...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REVIEW FIRE, I APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH!!!!

you are the best <333

Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:20 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Oh my gosh... star... This is beautiful.

I love everything about this-- the figurative language, the rhyme scheme, the emotion... Oh, it's just perfect.

You've called your character a Stargazer, but I'm not so sure that I'm not the Stargazer and that she's a star. Or maybe both? Hmm... I'll have to mull that over, won't I? XD It's definitely a unique poem, and I really love it!

I have no negative feedback, although I would capitalize everything that you normally would because I feel like capitalization should be used with punctuation. =P

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!! <3

starlitmind says...

AHH THANK YOU SO MUCH VIL HAHAHHAHA XD <3

I love that thought you have! It's an interesting perspective, one that I will consider c:

Ooh I'll take that into consideration ^^

THANKS AGAGIN VIL XD <3

Hey Star!

As you did a review on my super old poetry, I'm here to review for you too
Happy RevMo! I'm not the best at reviewing poetry as you may have noticed from my other attempts on your work, but I'll do my best :)

This feels very fantasy/otherworldly. You've got some beautiful imagery in here: some of my favourites being 'moonbeams threaded in her hair' and 'tears of glass and stardust'.

You've already noted below that your rhymes here weren't the best, but I actually quite like that they aren't complete rhymes. For me, it adds to the feel of mystical imagery.

For me, the first stanza was incredibly strong. It has beautiful imagery and it is the perfect introduction to your poem.
I love this:

her eyes held the galaxy

and I think how you cut off at the end of the line makes it read extremely well.

the other two stanzas were slightly lacking in comparison, I think. The story you were trying to tell and the message behind it seems clear for me but perhaps the imagery isn't as powerful (especially the second stanza). I'm bad at suggesting ways to improve that, but if you were to revise this that would be the area where I would concentrate your efforts!

Anyway, there's my limited review for you! It was lovely to read this poem <3

Icy

starlitmind says...

Thank you so much for your review, Icy!! I will definitely take all of your points into consideration <3 I really appreciate it :D

Icon wrote a review...

This poem is wonderful! I can't begin to imagine how you wrote something so ethereal and dare I say it, [I]magical[/I}. However the rhymes are a little weak, but that's not really what's bugging me. Your poem seems to lack rhythm, if you know what I mean. I found myself having to reread a few lines, which ruined the flow. What usually helps me with this is coming up with a literal rhythm to read the poem to. it doesn't have to be anything special, but it really helps make sure the syllable count and rhyme scheme help the reader along through the poem. Another great method is enjambment. Since you seem to enjoy poetry, you might already be familiar with this term, so feel free to skip this whole section if you're already well versed.

Enjambment is basically cutting off a sentence or complete thought on one line and finishing it on another. A fantastic example of enjambment would be the poem 'Sleeping in the Forest' by Mary Oliver. This line in particular is my favorite use.

"All night I rose and fell, as if in water,/ Grappling with a luminous doom." Obviously, I'm not comparing your skills in poetry to that of a famous poet, but this tool essentially makes your audience more curious about what is written on the next line, smoothing the transition and typically improving the overall reading experience. I'm sorry this was so long, but I hope I was able to help, or at least give you something to think about. :D

starlitmind says...

Thank you so much! Yeah, I did notice how my rhymes weren't the best cx I'd like to say that I've improved since two years ago! :p Thank you for the suggestions; I'll definitely try them out. Thanks again for your time!

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:25 pm
KaiTheGreater wrote a review...

Hi! RoseAndThorn here to review this piece!

Okay, so first, I think you have a very good grasp on imagery. I absolutely loved what you did in the first stanza. It paints such a vivid picture of... majesty, I guess. I was enraptured.

Now, the second and third parts, I have a little bit of a problem with. You've ready stated that she "was the sun and all it's flares". That could be interpreted many ways, but in context, again, it brings to mind a picture of majesty. Her wearing that majesty as a facade is understandable, but here I think you've already stated that she is what she appears to be.

Another thing I'd like to point out- after such breathtaking description in the first stanza, the second and third seem to fall a little flat. At this point you're just describing the facts. And words like "perfect", "flawless", "crack", "shattered"- these are all points that seem a little tired and could use a little sprucing up. We've already seen that you can craft a masterful and vivid image of beauty- these two stanzas could use some of that skill to show the heaviness of the situation.

That's about all I have to say. Overall I think you're a very talented poet- you just need to remember to keep consistent with your imagery. The dark parts deserve as much skillful crafting as the brilliant parts.

starlitmind says...

Thank you for your review! I'll look at the last two stanzas and work on making them live up to the first. Thank you so much for your time :) I really appreciate it!

shayspeare wrote a review...

Hello, I'm Shay. I'm going to review your poem.

It has a very fantasy-esque tone. It's magical how you use phrase like "tears of glass and stardust," "starlit mask," "moonbeams threaded in her hair," "her eyes held the galaxy." I also love the metaphor "she was the sun and all its flares."

While having a fantasy-esque tone, the mood is quite dark once you tell the other half of the story. "Her heart was just starting to crack," "she lived in her dark vastness," "her shattered heart collecting dust." The mood suggests she's suffering through hard times.

I like how you use the "don't judge a book by its cover" theme to get your point across. It's very sad. It reminds me of a story I read about a girl who was popular, and the narrator thought the girl was perfect, but then found out about the popular girl's hard time.

Over all, this was beautiful. Keep writing.

Shay.

starlitmind says...

Thank you so much for this review! Your words are very kind and I appreciate the time it took for you to write this :) thank you for everything! <3

Elinor wrote a review...

Hi StarlitMind!

My name is Elinor, and I thought I would drop by to give you to a quick review. I also see that you're relatively new to YWS, and I hope you're enjoying your time here thus far.

I really enjoyed reading your poem. I don't have much to criticize, because I thought you did a wonderful job painting a picture of this young woman and the stars for the reader. It's structured well and has a nice flow when read out loud. I love anything about the moon/nighttime/night sky, so this was right up my alley.

The main thing is that the rhyme scheme is inconsistent. It's good in the first stanza, but slips in the second and third. I know I struggle a lot with rhyming, which is why I don't do it most of the time, but poems generally have to rhyme the entire time or not at all, so I would consider what you want to go for. I think your poem could work either way!

Hope this helps! Please keep writing, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions! :D

Cheers,
Elinor

starlitmind says...

Hey, Elinor! Thank you, I really am enjoying my time here :) Everyone is very warm and welcoming!
Thank you for your kind comments! I'll definitely check out the rhyme scheme and work on making it more consistent.
Thank you for everything! <3

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah