16+

Hybrids: Chapter 17

by SkyVibes

John was the name of Steven’s friend. He looked about the same age as Steven which Yagi guessed was probably around mid-thirties. He seemed nice and had warm caring brown eyes and long already grey hair styled back. “Nice to meet you, Yagi.” He said as he looked in Yagi's direction. He stuck his hand out to shake.

Yagi just stared at him with no intention of shaking the man’s hand.

Steven sent Yagi a glare as John lowered his hand. “Anything that you can do to help Yagi will be much appreciated, John. At this point, he’s probably willing to do anything to get relief.” Steven said.

"Who gave you that information? I didn't even want to come here." Yagi snapped.

"Quiet," Steven ordered firmly. 

“I would imagine he would be based on what you told me. Let me take a look.” John replied. He helped Yagi take off his shirt and Yagi flinched at his touch as it made him shiver. John laughed, “I know, sorry about that. My hands are always cold.” He touched Yagi’s back and every time Yagi showed signs of pain.

“Well the good news is that most of these bruises are close to the last phase of healing so you’ll have relief towards your lower back and sides. It’s near your shoulder blades that I’m worried about. The damage might go further than just the surface but I’m not sure with all the bruising. It makes it hard to tell how bad it is. And without getting bloodwork done I can’t get you professionally looked at and we don’t need that.”

“Why can’t you get the blood work done?” Sako asked John. “You’re a doctor aren’t you?”

John glanced at him as he jotted something down on his clipboard, “People would know he’s a half-angel. Maybe not right away but it would be clear there’s something different about his blood and they’ll do further testing. It’s too risky.”

“So what do you propose?” Steven asked.

“I’ll prescribe a high-dose medication for Yagi. That and a cream to put on to numb it. The pills will make you a little loopy most likely but if not loopy, you’ll definitely be very tired until your body gets used to it. I want you to come back for a revisit though, because I want to see when the bruises have healed more, what your back looks like, and if anything more needs to be done.”

“A revisit?” Sako asked

“Yes. If this were just a regular bruising, say he was abused by basic hits, he would still be able to walk, but the fact that he can’t by himself and there’s no bruising on his legs brings a small concern to me.”

“Terrific,” Yagi muttered.

“It could be nothing though. It could just be from how sore you are, Yagi.” John told him.

“What about the wings? Do you think they’ll be possible?” Sako asked.

John ran a hand through his hair. “At this point, I’m not sure. It almost seems as if they were trying to force them to mature early or prevent them completely, but at this point, I can’t tell which of the two it is because of his situation.”

“Amazing,” Yagi said. “ So my spine is probably messed up and my wings are probably not going to work.”

John gave him a reassuring smile. “It helps to think positively sometimes, Yagi. Now, I’m gonna touch your back and I want you to tell me where it hurts the most, okay? After that, I’ll give you something to numb your back.”

Yagi tensed immediately but nodded anyway. John didn’t get very far before Yagi yelped loudly in pain. Sako stood up and pushed John away from Yagi. “That’s enough! Stop it. Obviously, it hurts too much!”

“Do any of the others deal with this pain?” John asked Steven as he warily watched Sako.

“No. Only Yagi. I have a feeling he was the guinea pig to see if the procedure would work. The other half-angels weren’t touched.” Steven answered.

While Yagi sat in pain, John told Steven to step outside so that they could talk. Yagi could sense Sako just staring at him, ready to help. Yagi sighed and told him to relax. “I’m fine.” He told Sako.

Steven and John came back in and John gave Yagi the numbing cream and then let them leave. In the car ride, Yagi sat in the passenger seat, asleep with his head resting on his shoulder and the window. Steven glanced in the mirror to meet Sako’s eyes and told Sako what was wrong.

“John thinks that Yagi has an infection. The medicine should help him. Leader never was too fond of sterilization. He cut corners.”

“But he’ll be okay?” Sako asked.

“Yes, but he’ll be in a lot of pain. The medication he’ll be taking will help him. He’ll be a lot better by the end of the week John thinks.”

Sure enough, at the end of the week, Yagi was better with the medication and was able to rest better, walk by himself, and be in less pain. But he wasn’t completely free of the pain. If he wasn’t careful he would go rigid with pain or even collapse on the ground in his pain. Luckily it wasn’t because of the infection - since it was gone now-, it was because of the soreness that was still there.

Sako made sure to always stay by his side and Maya too. As quiet as Maya had been since they had escaped she had been open the most to Yagi and enjoyed his company. She was always there and ready when Yagi needed help. The more he was downstairs and not resting in his room, the more Maya seemed to be around too.

During the day when everyone was doing their own thing Maya and Yagi would talk and play video games or chess with each other. The more they hung out the more they wanted to do it the next time.

But Yagi could tell that Sako already knew that something was going on between the two.

Yagi wouldn’t deny it. He liked her. She was sweet, kind, and patient. Sako told him to be careful and not trust her but Yagi knew why he was saying it. Sako didn’t want Maya to replace Sako by being his best friend when Sako was. Yagi had no intention of someone replacing his best friend, but he also knew Maya liked him back.

Yagi noticed that the more and more they hung out with just themselves, Sako was becoming more and more irritated. Whenever the two were talking he’d come over and either enter into the conversation or sit down near them and flip through his phone pretending to not eve’s drop into their conversation.

One day Maya came over and asked to go for a walk with Yagi, but Sako wanted to come. Yagi told him he would like to just walk with Maya and he could see Sako was hurt by his decision.

Glancing at the ground, Sako frowned. “Oh. I get it. There was something I wanted to do anyway. Have a nice walk.” He quickly turned and walked away from them.

Yagi felt bad but before he could say anything, Maya hooked her arm in Yagi’s and started for the door, “He’ll be fine, Yagi.”

As they were walking and chatting Maya hesitantly brought up Sako, “… Sako doesn’t like me…does he?” She asked as she tucked her hair behind an ear.

Deciding to play as if he hadn’t noticed, Yagi replied, “Why would you ask that?”

She frowned and looked straight as she walked and went on. “He doesn’t let me be alone with you and he gives me all this looks like he wants to hurt me. But I think he’s worried. I mean, yeah I like to hang out with my friends but I like hanging out with you more and I think Sako knows that too.”

Yagi nodded in understanding. “Well, back at the facility we were all we had. We’re best friends. Brothers even. I think since I spend more time with you than anyone else, he’s jealous. Sako hasn’t found anyone to hang out with yet, is all. I think he’s worried someone will replace him as my best friend. I bet if I spend some one-on-one time like we used to, he wouldn’t be so bothered anymore.”

She nodded. “That makes sense. Maybe we can all go out tomorrow or sometime this week and do activities together. Then maybe Sako can find someone to hang out with.”

Yagi smiled, “That’s a great idea.” He hesitated before going on, but before he knew it he was already speaking, “I think you’re really cute, and if you want you and me need a break away from the others tomorrow and hang out somewhere else.”

She smiled. “Like a date?”

Yagi nodded, “Yeah.”

They walked around for a while longer and then when they realized almost four hours had passed by they headed home to find Victor and Sako fighting. Victor punched Sako hard making Sako stumble into a wall. Victor took the opportunity to knee him in the gut. Sako fell to the ground on his knees and coughed. Victor stood back panting and wiped blood off his face from a bleeding lip.

“What’s going on?!” Yagi yelled.

Victor glared at him as a warning to back off. He looked back at Sako who didn’t even bother to get back up and scoffed. “Pathetic.” He spat as he walked off.

Ryan ran to Sako’s side as Steven walked in with Rose who both immediately dropped bags of groceries on the floor and ran over to Sako. “What happened?” Rose asked as she gently cupped Sako’s face to look at him. She used the sleeve of her sweater to wipe away some of the blood, but Sako turned away.

“Vic attacked him! He wasn’t doing anything wrong.” Ryan said. She looked in Victor’s direction with hate in her eyes as she yelled at him, “It was just a kiss, idiot! Where’s the harm in that?!”

Victor came back into the room seeming enraged. He crossed his arms and looked at Ryan darkly. “Nothing wrong? He knows perfectly well what he did wrong. I gave him several chances and told him to back off but he just kept on talking a big game. Turns out he's a wimp who doesn’t know how to fight. He speaks empty words.”

Sako didn’t look at Victor. He kept his gaze low as he glanced at Ryan’s comforting hand on his arm.

Steven pointed to the stairs, “Go to your room, Victor. This was completely childish of you two. Look at what the results are.”

Victor’s mouth hung open and he scoffed in disbelief. “You can’t send me to my room. I’m an adult. You can’t expect me to follow through with that. Sako’s the child. He’s the one who started this whole mess.”

Steven stood up and walked over to Victor. He stood face to face and looked him straight in the eye, “You will obey, Victor. If you think there is any right in attacking my own son then you are a fool to believe I will let you get away with it. Now go upstairs, I’ll deal with you later.”

Victor went to snap back but paused and took a step back. “‘Son’? Sakuro is….your son?”

Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:10 am

Straight back into this one!

I found this odd, given that Yagi's just stated the man has warm and caring eyes. If he thinks that, why is he so averse to a handshake? I'd expected him to be a bit hostile, but the fact he describes John in this way before refusing a handshake seems to throw off his feelings.

So far, this doesn't seem like anything Steven couldn't have worked out himself. Sure, John might be a better doctor, but isn't this stuff quite basic? John's also quite casual about Yagi being half angel so I'm again left with contextual questions about how half angels and demons fit into society. From what I'd learned at the facility they're all kept there and then die young, so how does John have any experience with this?

For me, this is a more believable/realistic reason to visit John. Steven may be a Doctor but he's been confined to being one in the facility and so wouldn't have the ability to write prescriptions outside of it?

Again, another example of John having lots of knowledge I wouldn't expect. Where did he learn this?

I like the idea of Maya becoming fast friends with Yagi, but the small snippet we saw of them too of them wasn't quite enough for me to feel like the progression here is natural. I think we need another short scene between them to show the relationship strengthening before I'm able to buy into this idea. It makes sense, but I think there's just a little more setup needed.

Sako told him to be careful and not trust her but Yagi knew why he was saying it.

Oh dear, jealous Sako!

Oof ok there's a lot to unpack here, let me try and go through my thoughts in a somewhat cohesive way!

Ok, firstly I'm not surprised they're all fighting and things are developing. They're all teenagers with hormones and then there's this whole angel demon thing thrown on top. The way they're acting towards each other makes total sense.

Now, Steven's comment. I first took this to mean Steven thought of them all as his children which honestly would be pretty sweet given how he's looked after them over the year. But Victor's comment and the cliffhanger leads me to believe that's not the case. Yagi says that Steven is in his mid thirties which means he would have had Sako at like seventeen? I guess that would explain him not running and hiding Sako away when he found out what was going to happen to him - he would have been too young and naïve to do so.

But Sako's been in way more danger than a little fight and subsequent tantrum from Victor. So why has Steven chosen this moment to reveal the truth? Sako's obviously going to be upset at this being hidden from him, but the least Steven could do would be to tell him in a more private way? Explain it rather than blurt it out? And if he was blurting it out, I would expect him to be under way more pressure before he actually did so.

Knowing this makes me question some of the actions/attitudes Steven had towards Sako in the facility too. He never seemed overly concerned about the things that were happening to him - I think you could go back and set this up a bit more, have him punished for trying to defend Sako or something similar. As was, I thought he was more attached to Yagi than Sako so would have been less surprised if Yagi was his son!

I'm keen for more information though, so I'll carry on to chapter eighteen.

Icy

Whoa…Sako is Steven and Rose’s child?! I did not see that one coming. I thought that they didn’t have any biological children of their own…this changes everything. Is the hybrid gene passed down to a kid from a parent or is it a recessive gene?

Why would Sako be in the facility if he could have lived with them? Why did Steven keep quiet for so long? Suspicious…

I wish you a good day/night.

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince