16+

Hybrids: Chapter 16

by SkyVibes

It took them three hours to remember Yagi was by himself. By the time Branson and Sako were upstairs to make sure he was doing okay, they found him asleep. They tried calling his name to wake him up, but he was completely out. He didn’t even stir.

Ryan walked in behind the boys and laughed softly, “He’s literally cuddling his pillow.” She whispered loudly. The boys rolled their eyes at her observation. She walked forward and shook Yagi gently but he didn’t move. “Man, he’s sleeping like a baby over here.”

“He’s probably exhausted.” Sako said, “He’s been under for a while but now he’s actually sleeping on his own. And with the pain on top of all of that? Steven said he would at least need three day’s worth of sleep to get to somewhat normal.”

“Yeah. That’s probably right. I can’t imagine how tired he is.”

Sako pulled the blanket up higher on Yagi. Yagi moved and put a hand limply on the side of his face and drifted back to sleep.

“We should leave him alone. He needs the rest.” Branson said as he walked over to the door. “Come on, we don’t want to wake him up.”

“Yeah. But either way, if we wake him up or he wakes up by himself, I’ll bet anyone ten bucks that he’ll be all cranky and moody.”

“Ryan, let’s go,” Branson told her.

She rolled her eyes, scoffed, and left. As Sako went to leave as well he heard Yagi stirring. When he looked back his friend was staring up at the ceiling slowly coming too.“Hey, how are you feeling?”

He gave a weak shrug.

“Still in pain?”

He closed his tired eyes and nodded, “Yeah.”

“Do you want me to get you anything?”

“No. I’m just really tired.”

“Do you want me to leave?”

He shook his head and opened his eyes again. “I’ll try to stay awake. I’ve been sleeping long enough.”

“If you’re tired you should rest. You don’t need to stay awake.” Sako said. “We can talk later.” Sako shivered as the AC turned on.

Yagi shook his head and tried to sit up but Sako told him to lie down. Yagi ignored him, “I don’t want to sleep anymore. Can you help me sit up?”

Sako reluctantly did. He didn’t want his friend to push himself but he didn’t want Yagi to get mad at him either. Sako wished Yagi would just do as he was told and sleep.

When Yagi sat up, he asked Sako what he had been doing since they had gotten here. Sako told him about the books he was reading and videos he was watching on a phone Steven had gotten him. He told him that Yagi had one too but Steven wouldn't let him have it since he wanted Yagi to rest.

“What are you watching?” Yagi asked.

Still cold, Sako began rubbing his arms. “It’s a show about these two guys who don’t like each other but their parents are getting married which means they’ll become brothers. It’s about them and their new life. It’s funny. Do you want to watch an episode?”

Yagi nodded. “You can sit next here if you want.” He told him as he moved some pillows out of the way.

Sako hesitated, “There’s no need. I can sit on the floor.”

Yagi shook his head and Sako sighed. He grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around himself for warmth as he sat down next to his friend. Sako didn’t want to possibly hurt Yagi again like he had on the bus. He flipped on his phone and picked an episode. Yagi watched and caught on quickly to what was happening.

They laughed at funny scenes and circumstances the characters went through but when it came to one scene, Sako found only himself laughing at it. He looked at Yagi to find his best friend nodding off. Sako woke him up with a nudge of his arm under the blanket and Yagi felt bad for falling asleep. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to.” He mumbled after a long yawn.

They went back to watching the show, but Yagi fell asleep again a few minutes later, this time with some of Sako’s blanket under him. Sako tried to move away feeling awkward, but he stopped when Yagi almost woke up.

Sako frowned and moved as far away from Yagi as he possibly could, “I’m never doing this again.” he mumbled. Reluctantly, Sako stayed where he was to help Yagi stay asleep until Steven came to his rescue a few minutes later.

Steven frowned when he saw the half-angel yet again sleeping, “He’s so tired.” He went over and had Sako help him to lie Yagi down. He was tired, he barely stirred when they moved him. He just went right back to sleep within a few seconds.

“He was trying to stay awake for a while,” Sako told Steven. “But then one second he was awake and the next he was asleep.” He frowned, “Why is he so tired? This wing procedure stuff should have healed up a while ago, shouldn’t it have?”

Steven glanced at Sako and met the worried blue eyes. “When he wakes up, I’ll take him to a friend’s office. He’s a better doctor than me. He might be able to help Yagi more than I can.” He walked to the door and held it open, waiting for Sako to walk out.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea? Will the ride bother him?” Sako asked, walking past him.

Steven silently closed the door and started down the hallway to the stairs. “I don’t know, but he doesn’t have a choice either way. I need him to get looked at for me to help him. Without my equipment at the facility, I can’t do that.”

Sako sighed and started downstairs. But as he walked down a couple steps his gaze met Maya’s who looked worried as she overheard the news. “Is Yagi okay?”

He nodded. “Yeah. He’s just resting. He’ll be fine.”

She didn’t look like she believed him. She tucked her blonde hair behind an ear and glanced at the closed door. “I hope he gets better.”

After a few hours of sleeping more, Yagi woke up and Steven told him the plans. Yagi objected to it but realized he didn’t have a choice anyway. Steven made him change into different clothes and then helped him downstairs. Sako went with them to help keep Yagi company.

He sat in the back seat with Yagi, but Yagi didn’t want to talk. He just shrugged at all of Sako’s questions as his friend tried to bring up a conversation.

Steven glanced at Yagi through the rearview mirror, “My friend will find a way to help you, Yagi. He won’t hurt you like Leader did, I promise. He’s a nice man who wants to help.”

Yagi pressed a fist on his head as he rested against it and looked out the window, ignoring Steven and his friend staring at him.

“Yagi, you’re bleeding again,” Sako said as he reached into the driver’s seat pocket in the back to get some bandages.

Yagi scoffed and glared at Sako, “Yeah, no kidding, Sherlock.” He snapped. “You think I can’t feel it?” He looked at the bandages in Sako’s hand, snatched them from him, and tossed them under the seat. “Forget them. They obviously aren’t doing anything.”

Sako stared at his friend in shock and sat back as he looked at the floor not sure of what to say.

At the same time, Steven yelled Yagi’s name in a parental tone, “There’s no need for that! Now either drop the attitude or you’ll be sitting up here with me.”

Yagi crossed his arms, “Good luck with that.” Yagi growled. “I’ll just hop out of the car the second we stop.”

“Not if I strap you down to the seat like a child, you won’t. I know you are cranky from your nap and mad about seeing a doctor but you don’t have a choice here. Don’t test me.” He warned. He sighed and kept his eyes focused on the road, “You need the help, Yagi.”

Yagi rolled his eyes and stayed quiet for the rest of the ride to the office. 

Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:10 am

Straight onto number sixteen so I'm just going to get straight into the review. I hope that's ok!

Was he by himself? I thought Maya was there? The transition into this chapter was a little confusing I think, only because not much time has passed but we left him with Maya. It might need a line to clarify it's much later on?

Yagi moved and put a hand limply on the side of his face and drifted back to sleep.

His own face, or Sako's face?

Sako shivered as the AC turned on.

This felt like a really specific detail but with no further expansion on it it was a little out of place. Who turned it on, was there a reason? If not, I'd probably just omit it from this part.

Sako told him about the books he was reading and videos he was watching on a phone Steven had gotten him. He told him that Yagi had one too but Steven wouldn't let him have it since he wanted Yagi to rest.

He bought them all phones but they had to get clothes from the clearance rack? I'm really having trouble working out Steven's priorities and how much money he actually has.

Oh this is a cute moment, Yagi needs Sake to be able to sleep.

This seemed a bit of a disproportionate response and not one that felt in character for Steven. They're not being that disruptive, and Yagi is only being sulky. I wouldn't think any of that warrants him yelling?

I think Steven taking Yagi to a doctor is good, but I'd like to see more of him justifying that this friend won't give them up to the FBI or similar. And how does this friend know how to treat half-angels? It can't be something that comes up often, or is it?

Yagi's reluctance makes total sense, but I'd rather hear it from him than have Steven explain why he's feeling this way. I think it would make sense for Steven to initially be blind to Yagi's fears of Doctors because he's so intent on him getting better that he maybe doesn't consider his feelings.

I'm not sure what this doctor will be able to do, but I hope it at least relieves Yagi of some of the pain he's been suffering through for multiple chapters. There's only so long one of our main characters can spend sleeping!

Hope this helped.

Icy

Finally, Yagi is going to see a doctor! He’ll get some much needed help. Yagi is upset and annoyed now, but he’ll thank Steven and Sako later. Steven for taking him to a doctor, Sako for staying his friend despite Yagi’s attitude. That is, if Yagi gets cured. I doubt that it will happen easily, but there is more to read.

I enjoyed reading this chapter. I hope that you will have a lovely day/night.

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro