Hybrids: Chapter 14

by SkyVibes

Steven’s place was huge. It was out on the more rural side of Bridston but it looked like it belonged in the wealthiest parts of town compared to tiny houses downtown. All of them stood in shock outside of two large two-story house.

The outside had a large porch out front with flowerbeds wrapped around it and vines with pretty purple flowers twisting around the posts of the house. The house was painted a faded blueish color with dark blue window doors and a white front door.

“There are actually houses this big?” Sako asked in shock. His eyes grew wide with amazement.

Steven laughed and then led them through the door. The first thing they saw after walking through the long hallway was the kitchen to the left and the living room to the right. The kitchen was huge with a dining room with a long table next to it. Across from the dining room was a big living room with a long couch chairs and tables and bean bags. A big TV sat on top of a fireplace at the end of the room.

There were stairs that led upstairs straight ahead from them where all the bedrooms were upstairs. Steven had already decided who got which room. He had his own room, Yagi and Saruko would share a room, Ryan and Maya would share one, and Branson and Victor share one as well. Steven made it so that those who grew up together would still be able to be together. The place was so big that the boys had their own bathroom while the girls had their own as well.

“Everyone, come to the living room,” Steven said when they walked in.

“Great. I know where this is headed.” Ryan muttered as she jumped over the couch and plopped down.

Branson helped Yagi over to the couch with Sako right next to him. Yagi caught him still wiping his hands on his pants and seemed impatient to actually wash them.

Steven looked at the patiently waiting half- demons and half-angels and then spoke. “We need to lay out some rules. No one stays out past nine. I don’t care how late you guys stay up inside the house but you can’t be outside. There are people here that will turn you in back to the facility or even worse, the FBI if they ever figure out that you are not fully human. No one goes outside alone. You always have to have someone with you. I want you all to wear a metal bracelet that will monitor you and tell me where you are in case something happens.”

“You know, I thought we were supposed to be free,” Ryan said as she crossed her arms. “Sounds more like you’re locking us up all over again if you ask me.”

Steven looked at her and sighed as he sat down on the coffee table in front of them. “Don’t start, Ryan. Look, all of this is for your own safety. You can have friends but you can’t let anyone know the truth, okay? I’m not stripping you of your privileges, I’m helping you survive. I care about you all. You are all like my own children to me. I can’t let anyone take you away. The only reason why I know the FBI won’t show up at our door is because the Leader won’t risk his facility by tipping us off. I plan to keep the FBI out of our lives for as long as possible.

“As for surviving, for the next month, I will need to check up on you all because of what the facility has done to you guys. I need to get rid of whatever the facility has put into you such as toxins or unneeded drugs in your system. Especially you, Yagi. I don’t want you going anywhere. I want you to rest as long as possible with how your back is.”

“How come Yagi was the only one to experience what he went through?” Branson asked. “It’s not fair that he had to be the only one to go through this. It’s like they targeted him.”

“What? You want to go through it too?” Victor asked him quietly.

Steven shrugged at Branson’s question and lowered his gaze to the floor, “I don’t know either, Branson. All I know is that if you angels stayed there, they would at one point or another have done the same to you. I feel like he was targeted too, but I cannot answer the why because I don’t even know. It was all Leader’s idea. But because of Yagi’s damage, he won’t be going anywhere for a while.”

"I bet it was because Sakuro has had so much progress a lot faster than any of us." Victor said. " They probably wanted to eventually let Sakuro in what was happening to use Yagi  and use him as blackmail for him to cooperate more and make it impossible for Yagi to see Sakuro at the same time."

Branson shrugged. "It's a thought."

“I’ll stay here with you, Yagi. ” Sako said to try to boost Yagi’s attitude. “That way you have company. We'll get them back for this."

Steven shook his head. “No, Sako, I need you to come with me and the others so that we can find new clothes for you all. Yagi will have my wife here to help him with anything he needs while we’re gone.”

“Whoa, what? You got a wife? I thought you were hopeless.” Victor asked as Sako went to agree. “Is it Nurse?”

Steven laughed, “No. I wouldn’t marry her in a million years.”

Unlike the American woman who was Nurse, a pretty Korean woman elegantly walked down the stairs in a flowy off-white dress. She had her black hair pulled up in a long ponytail and her brown eyes shone welcomingly. She had a big smile as she walked into the living room greeting them. “My name is Rose. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you all.”

Steven introduced each of them to her and then had everyone get ready to head out to the store. Sako tried to stay but Steven still said no. Sako barked a swear and went to the bathroom. Yagi slowly made his way over to the room and found Sako washing his hands and then stopped to cough out black blood. "Damn it." He snarled as he spat out the rest of it. 

"Sakuro?" Yagi asked.

Sako jumped and wiped away the blood with the back of his hand. "Yagi! You're supposed to be resting!"

"I'm not scared of you, Sakuro. I want you to know that. I don't care if you're a demon." He said as he leaned against the door jam in tiredness. "You're still my brother no matter what."

Sako nodded and looked as if he gagged before coughing up more into the sink. "I'm sorry, Yagi. It's your blood on my hands. I have to clean it off." He rinsed his mouth and spit it the water out before continuing. "I don't want to bite you though. It's just the reflex." 

"I know."

"And we will get them back, Yagi. I know I keep saying it and I mean it. They treated us like animals. It's not okay."

"I'm not worried about that right now."

"Well, I am. What if they kill you, Yagi? What if Victor is right? What if they really were trying to weaken you to get me to listen?"

He shook his head unable to continue on as went back to washing his hands clean of any speck of angel blood. 

Steven put a hand on Yagi's shoulder. "Come on. We have a lot of stairs to climb. Let's get to it." It seemed like an eternity for them to get upstairs. When Yagi saw the comfortable-looking bed all he wanted to do was sleep. But he groaned as soon as his back hit the mattress with Steven's help. He gripped Steven’s arm when he tried to lie back, “No! Stop! I can’t!”

Steven helped him sit back up and put a comforting hand on Yagi’s shoulder as he attempted to wash the pain away through deep breaths.

“Can you lay on your stomach?” Branson asked Yagi.

“Can you just knock me out? It just hurts too much.” Yagi mumbled. Honestly, he just wanted to die. It seemed like the easiest option to him right now.

Steven shook his head, “Not yet, let me see your back. Can you lift your arms to remove your shirt?”

Yagi shook his head. It’d feel better to cut them off, he thought. “I can’t.”

Steven nodded in understanding, grabbed a pair of scissors, and then started to cut his shirt. Yagi didn’t mind about it being ruined. He was willing to do anything to try and make the pain as little as possible. Steven cut the shirt starting from the neck until the Shirt was completely cut down.

Steven sucked in a breath as he removed the shirt and the bandages he had put on on the bus ride. Even during the few short hours of the ride and getting in the house, he couldn’t believe how much worse Yagi’s back had gotten.

“What?” Yagi asked, glancing back.

Branson looked for himself when Steven didn’t reply and frowned, “Dude, most of your back is black and blue. It’s no wonder that you can’t lie down.”

Yagi groaned. “Great That’s just what I wanted to hear.”

“I can’t believe they did this to you,” Steven mumbled. Yagi didn’t think he knew he was talking out loud. “There might even be permanent damage now. Maybe I should…”

“Can you at least tell me what it looks like other than it being pretty much one massive bruise?” Yagi asked.

Branson hesitated, “There’s nothing much more to tell other than the two bleeding cuts you have where your wings are.” he looked at Steven. “What about if Yagi lies down on his stomach? Will that help?”

“Maybe. How about we try that, Yagi? I can put a numbing balm on your back too while you rest. That way when you wake up it will hurt less.”

Yagi shook his head. “I don’t want to move. Even breathing hurts.”

Steven frowned. Yagi needed the rest. He walked out of the room and returned with a small canister with a mask attached to it. He twisted the canister open so air leaked into the mask and held the clear plastic mask over Yagi’s mouth and nose. “Breathe this in. It will help with the pain.”

Yagi put his hand on the mask and held it there. After a few breaths, he felt a little better. It helped with the pain. So much that he forgot about it and all he could think of was breathing in more of whatever it was he was breathing in. He wanted the air so much that he didn’t want to give the mask back when Steven tried to take it. Instead, Steven had him lie down on his stomach first and then took it away by gently prying Yagi’s tired fingers off the mask.

Yagi reached out for it and felt his eyes grow heavy at the same time as he became so tiredly calm. His hand slowly fell limp over the side of the bed as he began to doze off. By the time he was out, Doctor had already put the numbing balm on his back and pulled a blanket over him without Yagi noticing. 

Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:48 am

Hi Mercedes, I'm back for another chapter of Hybrids!

I'm hoping we're going to learn more about where they've been taken in this chapter and whether Steven has any plans beyond just getting them out of the facility... surely the people who work there know where he lives? There's a sceptical part of me that wonders if he isn't either:
a) being allowed to get away with this as part of a bigger master plan
b) secretly even more evil than the Leader
I hope neither of these are true, but I just wanted to share my thoughts at this point!

Anyway, onto the chapter.

Wouldn't his house be on record at the facility? Like, to know where to send his pay?

I'm interested to see what their knowledge of the outside world is actually like, given how long they've been in confinement. Did they have books or tv or anything to suggest to them there was something beyond what they were experiencing every day?

This feels like a very functional way of giving us the layout of the house. Is it information we need, or could this be woven in in a more organic way?

The only reason why I know the FBI won’t show up at our door is because the Leader won’t risk his facility by tipping us off. I plan to keep the FBI out of our lives for as long as possible.

I think this part needs some more explanation. Like, they were able to escape and now what... they're free unless someone tips off the FBI? Wouldn't the facility be doing everything possible to get them back? If not, why not? Just because of how it would look?

Branson hesitated, “There’s nothing much more to tell other than the two bleeding cuts you have where your wings are.” he looked at Steven. “What about if Yagi lies down on his stomach? Will that help?

Can they tell if the wings are even still there?

I think this was a good interim chapter, although I have to admit I'm not sure why Steven is so adamant that Sako has to leave and come shopping with the rest of them. Can't they just buy some plain clothes in his size in the same manner they're presumably going to do for Yagi? I have to assume there's some bigger reason he needs to go that isn't being explained right now, but I'm not surprised he's annoyed by the whole situation! Or is it just that Steven is worried about leaving a demon with his wife?

I'm not too sure what to expect for the next arc of the novel, but I'm interested to find out where it goes so I'll see you for chapter fifteen!

Hope this was helpful :)

Icy

Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:42 pm

How long are they going to keep hiding? What if they leave alone? What would it take for the kids to stay inside? How will Sako be able to restrain the demon hiding within him? I sure do hope that Yagi gets his wings back…

I’ll have to wait and see. I enjoyed reading this chapter. I hope that you will have a very amazing and fantastic day and night. Goodbye for now.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
— Lemony Snicket