z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

"Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" Review

by Lightsong


Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is a novel written by April G. Tuckholke. It was a story revolving Violet White, a 17-years old teenager who lived in her family’s mansion near the sea with her twin brother, Luke White. This review contains spoilers.

The story is woven into one that focuses romance, which can I describe as drunken romance; a kind of romance involving the appearance of hot male character, River, who is beautiful to the point of flawless. The protagonist's feelings for him lead her to demand illogically and unhealthily his presence albeit the consequences of events, similar with a drunk girl who wanted to drink up all the beer for its sweetness despite of its negative implications afterwards.

While the writing style is fluid, the plot used is average. There are unnecessary events such as the horrifying legend of a man, the kids who saw devils and a boy’s father committing suicide against his own will. These events did little to develop the protagonist’s character, and at a later time, served as events caused by the River who was revealed to be no ordinary human. I found Luke’s interaction with his neighbour, Sunshine to be more enjoyable because of the interest I had with it, while Violet stood more as an observer.

The plot got worse when we journey further into the novel where there were sudden appearances of new characters; the villain’s appearance was introduced near the end of the novel; and the hints of his appearance were put last-minute, too vague it was convenient for the villain to appear in an event especially made for him. While the climax was actually well-delivered, the character development for the protagonist was the other way around. I was actually hoping something brilliant coming from her because of her know-it-all attitude.

Last, but not least is Neely, one of the new characters. Though his moments were brief, he was the character who saved the novel while River character got worse. Neely's character was not as complex as River, but he easily won my heart because of his simple, direct-to-the-point attitude. I was actually rooting for him with the protagonist.

The writing style here, again, is fluid and it is very capable to catch the reader’s attention because of the distinct features of it. However, I am uncomfortable with the frequent use of the word ‘and’, and the lack use commas. Although I agree it makes the sentence less rigid, when it’s overused and unsuitable at times, I wonder what grudge the writer has on the commas. It is confusing to know a character that used ‘and’ over and over again, when it was obvious the said character knew about the function of comma, and simply disregarded it.

In conclusion, I find this novel enjoyable, a one-time, casual read on a summer break, and not one people should analyze deeper, as they would only be disappointed. Although it has feedbacks that said about its dark, horror side, I did not find it until the appearance of the villain, which happened at the end of the book. I hope the writer is more aware of her protagonist next time rather than made Violet fanboying over River like typical horror-romance novels.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Sun May 29, 2016 3:57 pm
soundofmind wrote a review...



Hey Lightsong! Happy Review Day!

Hah! I find it kind of funny that I'm here reviewing a review. Regardless, it can still be done!

It was a story revolving around Violet White, a 17-years old teenager


Are you missing a word? It's pretty awkward otherwise. Also, I think "years" should be singular, so "year," instead.

This review contains spoilers.


Oop! Haha. I guess a part of me was anticipating spoilers. It is, after all, a review. It's difficult to do an in-depth review without giving spoilers. But I understand that if you were going to post this on a blog or something, that a forewarning would be obliged. I do think though, that you could break the news a little less abruptly. You start with general info about the book and then - OH WAIT. SPOILERS. Aaaaand continue - you drop the bomb. Would it be possible to find a way to casually insert this information in the very beginning? Or maybe even as an author's note?

The story is woven into one that focuses romance,


It sounds like the main story is a romance. So in that case, why would a romance be "woven into" a romance?

River, who is beautiful to the point of being flawless.


~Just small suggestions to make this flow better.

The protagonist's feelings for him lead her to demand illogically and unhealthily demand/b] his presence albeit [b]regardless of the consequences of unfolding? events,(I think you could use a semicolon instead of a comma here) similar with a drunk girl who wanted to drink up all the beer for its sweetness despite of its negative implications afterwards.


I feel like there's some word choice confusion here. It sounds to me that instead of "albeit" you mean "regardless of," or "despite" (which you correctly use later in the sentence). I'd also place "demand" after all the adverbs.

There are unnecessary events such as the horrifying legend of a man, the kids who saw devils (insert comma (gotta love that oxford comma)) and a boy’s father committing suicide against his own will.


If you're going to include spoilers, maybe explain a bit more as to why these events were unnecessary? Tell us why it didn't help to develop the protagonist.

I found Luke’s interaction with his neighbour, Sunshine to be more enjoyable because of the interest I had with it, while Violet stood more as an observer.


Again, I find myself asking the "why?" You explain a little bit, but what specifically made this interaction more interesting?

and the hints of his appearance were put last-minute. too vague It was too convenient for the villain to appear in an event especially made for him.


I'd split this sentence in two, like so.

while River's character got worse.

I was actually rooting for him along with the protagonist.


You look like you're in need of an apostrophe and and "s!" Just little suggestions.

The writing style here,


...The writing style where? I haven't read the book. While you warn that there are spoilers, you can't assume the readers of your review have (they might read your review to see if they want to read the book!). I don't follow when you say "here" because I don't know where that is. How far are we into the book? 2/3 of the way? Near the end?

because of the distinct features of it.


What are the distinct features? Can you name them?

and the lack use of commas.


"Of," not "use!" :)

I wonder what grudge the writer has on the commas.


Hah! I like that! Nice humor! :)

It is confusing to know understand a character that useds ‘and’ over and over again, when it was is obvious the that said character knew knows about the function of a comma, and but then they simply disregarded it.


This sentence was really confusing for me! I tried to reword it to make more sense. Hopefully it makes sense to you as well!

Although it has received feedbacks that said about spoke of its dark, horror side, I did not find see it until the appearance of the villain,


Same with this one. If you have questions about my changes, feel free to ask!

I hope the writer is more aware of her protagonist next time rather than made so Violet stops fanboying over River like in a typical horror-romance novels.


I'm glad you commented on the overused cliches you saw used in the novel! It shows that you were an attentive reader, and that you appreciate variation in teen/young adult protagonists.

Overall, it seems like a decent review! Although based on your opinions of the book, I don't know if I'll go read it now. ;) It doesn't really sound like my kind of novel.

Anyway, keep writing!
-Sound




User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 4906
Reviews: 95

Donate
Sun May 29, 2016 1:28 am
Gymnast2801 wrote a review...



Hello Lightsong! I'm here with a review!

I will give my final, overall opinion at the end of this review because I will be editing and correcting as I read :).


"The protagonist's feelings for him lead her to demand illogically and..."
Okay, so I think you just got into the sort of lock down mode that I go into sometimes where you just start typing really fast and you don't realize that you've made a small error.
"Him lead her" is not proper English and you should correct that however you please.


"...caused by the River who was revealed to be no ordinary human."
Comma after 'River'.


"while River character got worse."
You need to add an apostrefy and then an "s" after "River". It should look like this, "River's".


Overall, this review of "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" was very impressive! I liked how you pointed out good and bad things but I especially liked how you zoned in on Thai writers one main problem, the "and" word instead of commas. That was very nicely done. My only other thought is that this work should not be rated 'E' for Everyone because a ten year old does not need to be reading about murder, suicide and such things.

Otherwise, great job and keep on writing!
-Gymnast2801 for Team Weasely.





A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer.
— Robert Frost