z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Our Own World

by Lightsong


A/N: This is overdue. I have been told that my passion as a writing is useless and that made me do this. Also, I wrote this with the intention to make it as a poem, but since the process was through phone, I didn’t bother breaking the lines... and now that I look at it, I don’t know whether I should label it as a prose poetry or flash fiction. What d’ya think? Gonna label it as poem for now.

Do you remember when they saw us, two kids who liked to spend their time in the bedroom, locked to avoid other people from coming in? They were wrong, though; we didn’t lock the door for fear of others’ judging eyes.

They did not see what we did, so they did not know, just like when darkness revealed nothing to them. We whisperedin a foreign language, one that they saw would always belong to our invaders.They did not know why we went out only to get more papers and pencil leads.

At one point, they concluded we were wasting our time. We did something that did not promise gold and could not be supervised. They didn't see us scratch the pencil, rip the papers, allow our eyes to dress them up with black rings, and blend our blood with ink. Our hearts beat as each letter belongs to its place, the smooth white surface that begged us to taint it.

At one point, the room was too small for us. We made two, one for each other. You kept capturing the small wonders of life through your eyes and immortalized them on soft canvas, while I removed the nightmares of the past and dumped them to the flat desert.

Then, we split. People now recognize you and the golden hands you have. You speak their language and encourage them to improve with your written words. They reach the people's hearts like a baby's cry reaches a mother, and you smile. This is your passion - to be the gentle force that drove others to their better sides.

I live in the past. You don't know, but the room we once had was the chest to my secrets, hidden even from you. I look outside and find horror. The sky is black, the clouds are red, and the river runs brown. The people have horns on their heads and their smiles are their masks. Fear creeps into me like pain of the beating I had when I was young.

The sensation remains, and I write to escape.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 1863
Reviews: 48

Donate
Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 am
View Likes
Rosy234 wrote a review...



Hi, here with a review! The tittle really drew me in to reading your piece. I think you should label this piece as a short story even though, it would make an amazing poem, I think the emotion is more powerful when it's a short story. I really like how you've described writing as someones "safe place", it just makes it filled with emotion. Throughput the poem there is a sense of flow in it, and the end just combines that together, so well done. Overall, I really like it and I look forward to reading some future pieces. Keep writing!

~Rosy234




User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 pm
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here for a review!

More prose poetry from you, which is interesting. I think that it qualifies best as prose poetry rather than flash fiction since there isn't really much of a plot or story that's being told, and that's how I interpreted it. Nonetheless, let's jump right into the review. The first stanza is something that I didn't find to be too strong compared to the rest of the poem. I think if you used the word or phrase, "confined to our rooms" it would make for a more powerful start. Other than that, the semicolon in the stanza felt a little awkward being there so I suggest you rework the line with it to make the flow stronger.

The second stanza is actually quite subtle with the second line, but the first line felt a little clunky in terms of flow. I'm assuming that the second line here is pointing to the fact that the speaker and what seems to be his significant other are discriminated against in some way. I'm not sure if this is realistic or relating to you or not, but I found it to be a suggestive line and a strong one all the same. The phrasing of "papers and pencil leads" is a little awkward and I think if you took the "s" off of both of them it would work better.

The third stanza is definitely one of the stronger ones of the poem. I like how subtle it is about everything and how it doesn't really have to spell everything out. I'm interpreting it as the two boys in the poem both happen to be writers but the people around them don't support them because they claim it doesn't make them enough money. I love the imagery in this stanza as it all blends so well together and I wanted to see more of this flowing throughout the rest of the poem as well.

The fourth stanza is strong as well but I wouldn't say it's as strong. It suggests that something I didn't really think of before: maybe these two boys are artists instead? I'm thinking the speaker could be a writer and the other an artist, but I've figured out for sure by now that both of them are in the arts. While the last stanza I found to be one of the weaker ones and I think that's because it feels like a sudden shift in tone, for me at least.

I liked the second to last stanza because it gives us some closure to the seemingly significant other in the poem. The last stanza I feel should kind of contrast more about the difference between the speaker and the significant other, as the second to last does this well but I don't think that it's completely captured in the last stanza. You have a start though. The last line in that stanza is something that kind of weighs it down and I think the last line in itself didn't really need to be in the poem since we kind of already knew what the speakers motives were by their writing and actions, but its' really your choice on that.

I hope I helped and have a great day! Apologies if it was a little scatterbrained.





A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb