Poetry is Easy

by sheysse

poetry is easy
just choose something emotional
to write about

add rain
always have some rain
makes them think of crying, or something

but then make it stop raining
at the very end
hey, this poem is coming along nicely

do some cool formatting thing
for emphasis
and then another

give it a title
one that fits
not one that doesn't (obviously)

lastly, leave an author's note
about how bad it is
they'll complement you out of pity

fool proof.

A/N: I really don't like the way this came out, so please tear it apart. Thanks!

-An overly-self-deprecating piece of garbage

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 am
LJF says...

LOL. This is accurate as all get out. As a poet, I relate to this one hundred percent. Did you somehow spy into my brain and copy this thought process? No? Are you sure? Fine, fine.
(But seriously, I love this. Never stop writing!)

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 am
Chitz wrote a review...

Hey! Chits here for a review.

Firstly, you have told the truth through this poem. What most of the readers think, you have put it into a poem. Really a nice one. Gave me a movement of enjoyment.

Secondly, never refer to your piece as a garbage.
Even if it's not that good try, with some changes, it can turn out excellently.

Hope you will be back with more poetry.
Keep writing.

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review! Me referring to the piece as garbage was actually supposed to be for the irony factor, so I'm not too self-deprecating. XD

Chitz says...

Okay. Sorry for that. I can't see anyone saying rubbish about poetry. My intention was not to hurt you.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:29 am
Trump666 wrote a review...

This is great and damn true!

I will have to look at this again next time I go to write a poem so that I can get all them compliments.

My favourite part of this poem is the ending because it is super relatable.

I am fine with no rhyming because if anything it would be a downgrade to this poem if it were to have rhyming.

The title was fitting and I don't think there would be anything better to call it so good job!

Great Job!

I rate this poem 9.5/10

sheysse says...

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:44 am
RainaDee wrote a review...

Oh my goodness, this was halarious! I enjoyed your satire! XD. Anyways, on with my quick review!
1) You don't have periods through out this piece, so you really don't need them on the line that says, "fool proof."

2) This is a nit pick, so just ignore it if you don't agree. ;) You don't neccissarily need the commas through out it, ya know, because the lack of punctuation through out. Again, this one's a nit pick so if you don't like it just ignore it.

3) I am totally guilty of this too, so you are not alone. Try playing with your words, for example: you could change the rain in the line that says, "always have some rain," to precipitation so that it reads, "always have some precipitation."

That's all I got for you! I liked this piece and thought that your use of sattire was glorious. Keep up your writing! I enjoy the stuff you write! :D

sheysse says...

RainaDee says...

You're welcome!

Well this piece could certainly be seen as offensive to some of the poets around here, including myself. But I'm assuming you're writing this all in good fun. And good satire often pushes people's buttons.

So, I agree with Kays that some of the points you made were not that strong from a satirical point. But for me the real issue was some of the randomness of the point. Rather than just picking different aspects of poetry writing to critique, I think it might be stronger to actually have the points culminate into a bigger issue about poetry.

For the stanza about formatting, I think you should do some random cheesy formatting thing with it. For instance, you could align it to the right or put a bunch white space in it to make your point. You could even put the word "emphasis" in "bolded" letters or "italics" to add emphasis.

The title point didn't make sense for me, because it didn't seem unique to poetry. All works of literature and art have to have titles... so what's the point? It would have maybe worked if the title in the case of your poem didn't make sense, like if it was "watermelon" or something of a similar amount of silliness.

Lastly, the author's note, comes off as being very arrogant after your last stanza. And it's hard to connect to a speaker that's putting off false-humility. Then again, maybe that's your point.

Best luck in editing, please take all of this with a grain of salt as I'm no expert in analyzing satirical poetry and am probably too passionate about poetry to critique this objectively as well.

~alliyah

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review! Sorry if this offended you... I thought it would be more clear that I'm not good at poetry, and that this whole thing is irony. I'll likely rewrite it and keep in mind what you suggested. Thanks again!

alliyah says...

No harm done Sheytato, thanks for sharing your thoughts & poem! :)

sheysse says...

:)

sheysse says...

:)

TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hi Shey! What even is this? xD I laughed so hard at the author's note and now I don't even know what to do! I have personally never written a poem with rain but I have read plenty. I wish I could do a cool formatting thing but I still can't format. xD I love how at the end you just simply say "fool proof". But please stop making me think, I don't like it! xD

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed!

sheysse says...

sheysse says...

TheBlueCat says...

'Welcome! :D

Hijinks says...

'Welcome! :D

Hijinks says...

'Welcome! :D

Hijinks says...

sorry just had to do that :D

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:43 am
Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there Sheytato. This is Kays here dropping in for a review in the spirit of Review Week even though I admit I'm a little tired, I don't see why I can't push to do a couple more reviews tonight.

This seems to focus more on YWS and what people do commonly such as leave Author's Notes, leave titles and adding in formatting--that's first and foremost the most confusing part of the poem. This more focuses on how poetry is easy on YWS and to be honest, the points that are here aren't all that strong? The stanza about titles...doesn't resonate at all because all poems have titles and titles are able to not fit--what about that? Is there a specific example of titles that goes on in the poetry world? Is there too much long titles that make no sense going on in poetry?

In contrast I wanted to talk about my favorite stanza of the poem which is the one about rain. The stanza about rain kind of touches on the cliche of rain in poetry and that's where this poem should go--study cliches in other poetry and insert them here and write this filled of cliche or even make up a few nonsensical metaphors to mock other poems that use those as well and maybe even point out the point where the reader won't know if the meaning/interpretation of the piece is because the reader isn't comprehending high enough or if the writing and meaning is surface level.

Basically, a point can be made about the meaning either being surface-level or too in-depth or 'deep' for much of the audience to understand. There are a lot of different possibilities that can be taken by writing a poem off of how 'poetry is easy' because the topic is broad and there's a lot of different ways the humor can be taken which means with this there are a lot of missed opportunities which is the main reason I didn't like this piece as much as I liked the concept because the concept is interesting and I can see this being funny under other circumstances but as of now this is kinda underwhelming and I hope for more if you decide to rewrite, edit or revise this and I'd love to take a look at this again if you end up doing that. Also, I wasn't a large fan of the voice shown in the 'hey, this poem is coming along nicely' line which represents what I don't like--needless words that don't add that much. While I like what you're attempting to do, you're off in your execution a bit, buddy.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

sheysse says...

Thanks, Kays! I'll probably end up rewriting it, keeping in mind what you suggested. :)

ForeverFlying says...

This is great! Really funny :)

sheysse says...

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 am
AliceinBluue wrote a review...

Hello Sheytato! Alice stopping by for a quick little review!

So I was really interested in the idea of a satirical poem about poetry. I like how you managed to work in a lot of things that people put into their poems, things to tug at a person's heartstrings, the cliched weather, the formatting thing. It worked really well together. it really feels like a satire piece about this people who are always saying that poetry is easy in that special condescending way.

For nitpicks, maybe change the line lengths or something, the format of their lengths was always the same, two about the same and one different, but it still kinda threw me off. And like steggy said, maybe when you talk about the formatting, that stanza should have a different format than the others, a visual representation as well as a verbal one.

Overall, the humor really shone through in this and I found myself laughing quietly to myself as various parts of the poem! Keep up the great work!!!

sheysse says...

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 am
Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Steggy here for a short review!

Okay, so when I first read this, I was thinking of it as in the tone of a history of the world, i guess and I found it ten times more amusing than I did before. You do have a nice idea, though. While I know it is meant for jokes and whatnot, it does seem to be sort of a "poke" at what poetry is really about and I enjoy that. One thing I would suggest, though, possibly add some commas after some of the stanzas because I think if you were to do that, it'll give a sort of breath to how this poem is. Another thing I would suggest is maybe bolding some of the words because there are some in here that stand out more than others.

poetry is easy
just choose something emotional
to write about

I do like the beginning of this but I have one tiny suggestion: in the third stanza, you can expand to something like "and write about it". The awkward spacing makes it kind of, well, awkward to read and it doesn't have the right beat if that makes sense.

add rain
always have some rain

Since you don't say who 'them' is, you could just say 'make the readers think of crying' or something similar. 'Them' can be a number of things so it is probably best to just limit it to just that one thing you are writing about. The second stanza, while it is funny, I don't think it belongs. You could do a sort of an opposite of rain, like the sun and go from there. Also 'or something' isn't needed also because it kind of runs off the stanza.

do some cool formatting thing
for emphasis
and then another

I think in this chunk, you could've made it more relatable by putting it in a special format. xP

Overall, I really did enjoy this poem. The sort of the humorous message shows in all poems and I think you did a nice job of showing that. If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy

This review courtesy of

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review, Steggy!

wordwing says...

This made me laugh, and maybe even inspired me to make the second song in my life (I usually do not like them, and I dislike writing them but i think i will try.Thanks:)

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown