z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

A Fleeting Eternity - Chapter Fourteen

by Shady


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Ky crossed the distance separating them in an instant. Aleth turned towards her slightly, looking up from where he squatted next to the fire. She drove her fist into his jaw so hard they both went tumbling to the ground. She landed on top of him and quickly pinned his arms with her knees, driving her fist into his face again and again.

A moment later she felt herself being yanked off him backwards. She twisted in Tadaaki’s arms before he could get a solid grasp on her. She grabbed his arm and pushed him forward as hard as she could, sticking out her leg to trip him. He went tumbling to the ground heavily. Ky stepped over him, making a run for it, away from Aleth.

Tadaaki’s hand shot out and grabbed her ankle, pulling her backwards. The motion yanked her feet from under her, sending her tumbling face-first into the hardpacked dirt of the road. She twisted again, clawing at his hand, scrambling backward away from him. Suddenly Aleth was standing over them both, a murderous rage filling his eyes.

He grabbed her shoulder and drove his fist into her face, sending them both to the ground once more, this time Ky on the bottom. He hit her again and again and again. She struggled, trying to push him off her, but no matter which way she twisted his fist seemed to land in the same spot.

Soon, she didn’t have the strength to fight back anymore, the pain overwhelming her. The blows kept coming for a long while after she stopped struggling. Eventually the blows slowed, and then he stopped, sitting back to rest his weight on her abdomen. He looked down at her breathlessly.

His brow was covered in sweat, body heaving from the effort he’d expended to beat her. Her entire head throbbed. This beating was far worse than the one she’d received from Borrond. Her mouth felt like it filled with blood faster than she could spit it out, and a tendril of blood snaked from her nose down her cheek to pool on the thirsty dust beneath them. Aleth grinned. “Well, let’s finish this little training session, shall we?”

Ky looked up as Tadaaki came back into view carrying a rope and a knife. A weight settled in the pit of her stomach, and she channeled the little energy she had left into thrashing, trying to get away.

“Tadaaki,” Aleth said, gesturing at Ky.

Tadaaki knelt behind her, grabbing her arms as Aleth climbed off of her. Tadaaki placed each of his knees in her hands, pinning them to the ground, then grabbed her arms right next to the shoulders. His hands were so large his fingers wrapped all the way around her upper arms, securing her firmly in place.

“Don’t do this,” Ky pleaded, looking up at Tadaaki.

He met her gaze for the briefest moment, and she almost thought she saw a trace of sympathy, before he set his jaw and looked back towards Aleth. Aleth had unsheathed the knife and was straddling her once more. He yanked her tunic up and slid the knife under the fabric binding her chest, easily slicing through it, and letting it fall to the ground on either side of her as she twisted in a futile attempt to escape.

Tadaaki’s eyebrows shot up in surprise.

“Oh yes,” Aleth said, smirking at Tadaaki. “Our young friend has many surprises.”

Ky’s face burned with embarrassment at yet another man looking upon her nakedness. She yanked on her arms, desperately trying to free herself. Aleth pushed himself up to his knees and knelt directly on her thighs, pinning her to the ground, and leaned over her.

He dug the tip of his knife into the soft flesh on the right side of her abdomen just below the ribcage. He dragged it down in an angle towards her left hip, creating a ribbon of crimson blood that ran the length of her abdomen. Ky howled in agony, arching her back as she twisted once more in an attempt to get free.

Aleth grinned viciously as he dug the knife into her abdomen again, making small cuts that branched off the first one. Tears sprung from her eyes, mixing with the blood dribbling down her cheek. She stopped struggling as she realized that yanking against Tadaaki was only resulting in tearing the cuts in her abdomen open wider.

It felt like Aleth carved her abdomen for hours before he finally climbed off of her. In reality it was probably no more than twenty minutes, but it was hard to say. Her body was so weak she couldn’t find the energy to move, even after Tadaaki released her. Aleth looked down at her for a long moment. “Tie the little rat up.”

“Yes, sir.”

Aleth tossed his knife down on the ground and turned and started back towards the carriage. Tadaaki took the length of rope and wrapped it around Ky’s wrists tightly. She couldn’t be bothered to fight him. Her entire abdomen felt like it was on fire.

Tadaaki bent and gently slid one arm under her shoulders and his other under her legs, then picked her up. Ky groaned. Tadaaki walked slowly and evenly, a lumbering gentle giant, as he whispered to her. “I told you not to provoke him, Little One.”

Tadaaki lay her gently under a tree just off the road. She groaned again.

“I can’t help you if you won’t help yourself,” Tadaaki chastised. He took the other end of the rope and tied it around the base of the tree. He moved back to her and picked up the remains of the cloth that had former bound her chest. He knelt and quickly made a make-shift bandage for her abdomen. “You need to behave. Heal well.”

Tadaaki stood and strode away.

The night passed slower than any other Ky had experienced in her entire life. Ky passed freely back and froth from a biting cold consciousness to a warm darkness. The exhaustion hanging over her doubled each time she woke. She wished that the nightmare would simply carry her into oblivion.

To her dismay, she was still alive when the morning sun began peeking over the hill.

Aleth suddenly appeared over to her. She was still lying in the exact position that Tadaaki had left her in the night before, too sore to bother moving. A change of positions wasn’t worth the stab of pain it sent through her entire body.

“How’d you sleep?” he asked smugly.

Ky clenched her jaw, doing her best to glare up at him. She didn’t have the energy left to fight him anymore, but she hated him with every bit of the fiery rage as she had before. He bent and sliced the rope around her wrists, then roughly hauled her to her feet.

It was agonizing.

The wave of pain that washed across her at the sudden change in position stole away every speck of her breath. Her stomach churned. Her chest clenched as her lungs screamed for air that wouldn’t come. She stumbled forward, too weak to stand by herself.

Aleth caught her and pulled her close, breath tickling her neck as he whispered in her ear. “You don’t want to trifle with me, girl. This was just a warning.”

Suddenly he jerked her around and pushed her towards the carriage that Tadaaki had already hitched to the horses. Aleth tersely ordered him to go retrieve the rope still tied to the tree, and then focused his own attention on tying Ky to the back of the carriage.

Her heart sank.

She wasn’t sure what it was that she’d been hoping for – she certainly didn’t want to be trapped in the carriage with Aleth again – but it definitely wasn’t this. She stood swaying, barely able to stay upright on her own power, as she wondered how she was possibly meant to keep pace with the carriage in this condition.

Aleth sloppily tied her ankles together with the other end of the rope that was still tied to the back of the carriage. Her abdomen still felt like it was on fire. The entire front of her tunic was stained with dried blood, despite the bandages. Aleth climbed back inside the carriage.

“Tell him what he wants to know,” Tadaaki hissed under his breath as he walked past her. He threw the length of rope onto the luggage area of the carriage and sent her a warning glare, then turned and walked to the front of the carriage to take his spot at the front.

The carriage lurched into motion.

Ky gasped as the rope jerked on her legs, forcing her to take a step forward. The movement was agonizing. She whimpered, head throbbing, a shooting pain running from her hips to her ribcage. She could barely take a step, much less keep pace with the brisk gait of the horses. She stumbled along several steps, but quickly lost her balance.

She yelped as the rope yanked her behind the carriage. Rocks dug into her back once more, but they were nothing compared to the strain that being dragged placed on her mutilated abdomen. The pain was overwhelming. Ky’s vision went splotchy and she felt like she was going to vomit from the excruciating pain.

Aleth stuck his head out the window as he watched her screaming. “Do you have something you’d like to say?”

The pain was stronger than her pride. She drew a shaky breath and tried to nod, then realized the motion looked no different from her simply being dragged along. Her voice was weak when she tried to speak. “Yes.”

“Tadaaki!” The carriage came to a stop almost instantly. Ky coughed, tenderly lying an arm across her abdomen in an attempt to soothe the throbbing pain. Aleth looked at her expectantly. “Well?”

Ky breathed heavily, trying to work up the energy to answer his question. She knew what he wanted. As much as she hated herself for being weak, she knew she had no choice but to answer him. Aleth was cruel enough to continue dragging her, and she doubted she’d survive that.

“It’s not too late to continue…” Aleth said warningly. “Tadaaki?”

“Petrir,” Ky answered quickly, breathless.

“What’s that?” Aleth raised an eyebrow.

“Petrir Ruirac,” Ky said, trying to make her voice louder. “My father.”

Aleth disappeared within the carriage once again. A moment later he emerged and strode over to where Ky still laid on the ground. He stood over her, looming, arms crossed. “Does this mean that you’re ready to talk to me, Ky?”

Ky took a deep breath, then sighed slowly and closed her eyes, defeated. She nodded reluctantly. Aleth turned and slit the rope around her ankles, then grabbed Ky’s arm and hauled her to her feet. She whimpered, but didn’t fight him as he pushed her up into the carriage.

Ky collapsed on the bench seat opposite Aleth and looked at him weakly, feeling much smaller than she had the day before. He shouted at Tadaaki to continue. The jostling of the carriage still hurt her abdomen, but it didn’t come close to the pain of being dragged on the road.

“What sector are you from?”

Ky hesitated for a moment. It felt like she was betraying everyone she’d ever known. She’d been with him less than a day, and already she was giving him everything he needed to hurt her childhood friends – all the people who had ever helped her in her life. All ratted out, due to a little bit of pain.

“It’s not too late to toss you out of the carriage,” Aleth threatened. “I already have it narrowed down to nine or twelve. Think carefully about which battles you want to pick.” 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
414 Reviews


Points: 31420
Reviews: 414

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:44 am
View Likes
keystrings wrote a review...



Hello there! Am I reviewing this to get the last two requirements for the Checklist Challenge? No of course not ;p I am here to nobly give you an, er, fourth review on this! Mostly to prove that I can catch up with a story. Although I had read this chapter a while back, I never reviewed it.

Ky is fierce in this chapter and I am living for it. What do these people expect after abusing and traumatizing this girl for the last however long amount of time? Like, Aleth deserves a hundred more punches than that and if Tadaaki was really sympathetic for Ky, he could have stepped in and done something instead of just tell her to calm down, which, what? She's supposed to go willing with this guy? Ugh. These people.

Typical Aleth is the worst guy ever and deserves to not be alive: checked. Tadaaki being like "sorry, but y'know, don't provoke him even though he's the aforementioned worst guy ever" for at least one scene: checked. Ky being so brave and I feel so bad for her: checked.

I am curious what the importance of the information Aleth wants. Is her dad going to have been this really important figure, and that's why Ky was pushed out to try to run away and hide as a boy? Does the sector matter that much? What do sectors really represent in this story? Why is Aleth such a horrible person?

I do think some more detailing directly from Ky could work well in this, even if a bit is describing how her pain suddenly flared back into existence, and she could describe in her head what she felt most. I also always like descriptions so a bit more insight into the outside (unless you've already done this last chapter) could be nice -- if there's rocks, does that mean there aren't many trees? Are these big rocks or small rocks? (Why are so many of my questions about rocks? I don't know.)

I think this chapter was really intriguing in an already very intriguing story C:




Shady says...


ahaha thanks for the review! I appreciate it! :D



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 am
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Shady! :D

A moment later she felt herself being yanked off him backwards. She twisted in Tadaaki’s arms before he could get a solid grasp on her.


oh what a surprise

Suddenly Aleth was standing over them both, a murderous rage filling his eyes.


oF COURSE

This beating was far worse than the one she’d received from Borrond.


I think that, so far, my nitpick is that you've only mentioned the pain after he starts beating her once? You focused on the actions of the other characters without touching on Ky's feelings/emotions. I can't get any sense of pain from her and it almost doesn't read like anything that bad happened right now, because instead of describing the visceral, awful pain of Aleth's abuse, you went through a play-by-play with some mentions of the suggestion of pain ("but no matter which way she twisted his fist seemed to land in the same spot." or "Her mouth felt like it filled with blood faster than she could spit it out"). I would focus less of describing Aleth's actions here, maybe draw it out a little, and focus on Ky's reaction to the 1) initial pain 2) trying to protect/defend herself/escape 3) the realisation of defeat and letting the blows come 4) trying to shut it out/not think about the pain (if that's how she would react to it, of course).

Ky looked up as Tadaaki came back into view carrying a rope and a knife


oh come on, Tadaaki >:(

Ky howled in agony, arching her back as she twisted once more in an attempt to get free.


if she's arching her back,,, she's arching into the knife cuts and making it worse??

Tadaaki walked slowly and evenly, a lumbering gentle giant, as he whispered to her. “I told you not to provoke him, Little One.”


shut up, I no longer care for you >:(

“You need to behave. Heal well.”


YOU NEED TO NOT FOLLOW A HORRIBLE, DISGUSTING MAN

Ky passed freely back and froth from a biting cold consciousness to a warm darkness


;)

All ratted out, due to a little bit of pain.


"a little bit of pain"


I have zero sympathy for Aleth or Tadaaki anymore!

(I KNOW there's probably a reason Tadaaki is doing what he is and obeying like this, and it's probably just as bad if not worse than what's going on with Ky, I just DON'T LIKE TO SEE PEOPLE BEING ALLOWED TO ACT THE WAY ALETH DOES. It also does leave me to believe that there's a reason he won't outright capture or kill Aleth, even if Tadaaki does in fact dislike him, and something worse will happen if anything happened to Aleth)


I hope this gets resolved, I hate to see her like this and have it dragged out. Before, there was at least the hope of catching breaks-- speaking to Alcan, or Rifkin, or tending to the horses, but now it's a constant stream she can't escape from. She doesn't have all that many options here, and she doesn't have any help either.

uGH ugh.


I AM wondering why it's so bad that Aleth is going to know all these things about her life? I MEAN aside from the obvious, would he really go out of his way to hurt Ky by tracking down her past? Or is he trying to find out for other reasons? Is this another case of unreliable narrator/not revealing everything or is Ky really just disgusted by the idea of this man knowing where she's come from and who she cares about (I would definitely be too!)!


I think that's all I have for you today?? SORRY THAT IT'S SHORTER (idk if it is but it feels shorter) THAN NORMAL

I hope you have a wonderful time <333




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



wAIT WHAT. Wait.

Okay maybe it's been a while, but I don't remember why Ky feels like she's ratting her people out. Her people didn't do anything wrong as far as we, the readers, know, so what ARE the repercussions of telling him?! I wonder if there's more to this story than we already know! Perhaps her sector has been doing something that RESULTED in the abductions, but I ffeel like this information would be known to someone like Aleth. I really wonder what's causing her to hesitate about mentioning the sector. I understand protecting her father, but sector seemed generic an almost common knowledge at this point.

Unless something was going on. *shifty eyes*

I'm so concerned about Aleth and Tadaaki constantly slicing the rope with a knife. That's so much wasted rope! They're going to run out! D:

I lovloveLOVE that we see more of Tadaaki's character here. He's no longer just a ghost hanging around, blindly obeying orders -- he's clearly understood that obeying orders will help you survive better until you CAN escape. He's figured that out and is waiting for his opportunity to run, it sounds like, or at least wait it out until Aleth is done for. So seeing him share this wisdom is such a relief to me. I wonder if her father is significant in this historic event, adding more significance to her spilling his name.

As a side note, I appreciate how long this trek is. I'm glad that he lives so far away, which fits with his rare visit to the king. I still think his stay probably should've been longer since they were considered friends, and I also think Aleth would have brought more staff especially for this kind of trip. There's clearly a lot that goes on with camping for the night or caring for the horses or driving or pampering Aleth. And most of his staff are probably aware of his behavior, so I doubt he'd be so secretive around them. But also, maybe he doesn't have much staff. I guess he's probably an independent employer and doesn't live like a typical noble?

I GUESS WE WILL FIND OUT SOON.




User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 805
Reviews: 18

Donate
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:36 am
View Likes
2Stareyes says...



Ok I dont know but it felt like what he did to her was kinda branding her in a away if you get what I mean




User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 805
Reviews: 18

Donate
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:59 am
View Likes
2Stareyes wrote a review...



NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts:
Ky:
THAT POOR POOR GIRL!!!! Oh my goodness Aleth is a monster and I want to kill him!!!

Aleth:
THAT ***** I wont say it but I mean it! I hope this ends with him dying! If he hurts Ky again I want to straggle him!

Tadaaki:
Good he wants to help Ky more now. I still hoped he would let her go! But at least he is being kinder now!

All around:
A very well written chapter! Poor Ky but great story line! You wrote Aleth so well that it is great! I love good bad guys!





I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights