Shaping Faith: Chapter 10

by Mea

The smell of herbs and honey greeted Analia at the door and conjured up a wave of memories. As children, she and Verona had spent hours at Sue’s house after school while their mother worked, playing with Sue’s own teenage children. But they grew, Sue’s children left one by one, and when she and Verona wen re old enough to watch themselves, the visits dwindled and faded into memory.

Now, of course, there were no toys strewn across the floor, and the pictures on the mantle were of graduations and weddings rather than birthdays and band concerts. But the overstuffed couches, the books lining the bookshelves, and the intricate rug were all heart-achingly familiar. It was even the same bowl of candy sitting on the mantelpiece that Verona used to sneak mints from while Analia kept watch.

She stood frozen in the doorway for a moment as Sue disappeared down the hallway and into the kitchen, then shook herself and followed the older woman. Passing a den on her right, she caught a glimpse of Sue’s husband sitting in front of a wallscreen, gesturing rapidly as he navigated through a complicated mess of charts and graphs.

In the kitchen, Sue already had a pot boiling on the stove. “It’s almost ready, dear – I left it simmering before church,” she said, noticing Analia. “Would you mind going and asking Seil if he wants some?”

Analia nodded, realizing Seil must be her husband’s name. She headed back to the den and poked her head inside. “Um... Mr. Lipton, Sue says there’s some food cooking, if you want it.”

He shook his head dismissively, eyes never wavering from the screen, seemingly unconcerned by Analia’s presence in his house. Analia bit her lip and went back to the kitchen, where the rich smell made her wonder how Seil could resist Sue’s cooking. Sue was ladling a thick soup into two bowls. Analia noticed she had only set the table for two.

“I think he’s busy,” Analia said, tracing the edge of the table with her finger. Large and wooden, it bore many scratches, memories of children’s carelessness.

Sue nodded, the lines around her face deepening. “He usually is, these days. I ask anyway.”

Analia swallowed, not sure how to respond. Wordlessly, she took her bowl. They sat at the table, Analia across from Sue. She stirred her soup as curls of steam rose from it, avoiding Sue’s gaze. She wasn’t sure she wanted to speak her mind yet. Balance, she wasn’t even sure what she was doing here. What right did she have to infringe on Sue’s hospitality like this?

She tried the soup. It was rich and creamy, the vegetables little islands in a pale sea. “This is good!” she said, and took another large spoonful, only to find that this one was much hotter than the first. Her eyes went wide as it seared the inside of her mouth. She forced it down with a gulp and immediately started to splutter. Alarmed, Sue came around the table and started pounding her on the back. Analia could feel the soup’s passage down her esophagus, a ball of liquid flame. “Balance, that burns!” she said, when she regained her breath and wiped her streaming eyes.

“I’m sorry, I should have warned you it was hot!” Sue said, “Are you okay?” Analia stared at Sue’s stricken face for a moment and burst out laughing. For some reason, the whole incident struck her as hilarious. “Yes – I’m – fine,” she gasped. Sue joined in, laughing at Analia’s laughter, and just like that, the ice was broken.

In a minute, their laughter hiccupped to a stop. Analia couldn’t remember the last time her sides hurt this much. Why had that even been funny?

“Well,” Sue said. “Dinner with you is quite the adventure.”

“I don’t normally choke on my soup, if that’s what you mean,” Analia retorted playfully. She took another sip of the soup, being careful to blow on it first.

Sue settled back in her seat with a sigh. “But now, I want you to tell me how things have been going since the accident – with school, work, anything.”

Analia put her spoon down and rested her head in her hands. She opened her mouth, meaning to say that everything was about as fine as could be expected, but the words got stuck halfway up her throat, and instead everything else came spilling out. Before she knew it, she had told Sue all about the problems Verona had caused with her crazy stunt – the financial issues, the public embarrassment, and the hurt.

“I just miss her so much. She tried to murder someone. Anyone else, I’d call them a monster. But she’s my twin. I thought I knew her. I didn’t think she ever do something like that, but she did. And I still miss her.” Analia couldn’t look Sue in the face, so she stared at her bowl instead.

“Well, of course you do,” said Sue, reaching over to pat her hand. “You miss the way things used to be. I don’t think there’s anybody in the world who hasn’t wished for something like that before. And a forty-year sentence…it’s harsh.”

“But she’s a murderer,” Analia said.

“Analia, be reasonable,” Sue said, her voice suddenly sharp. “Verona has not killed anyone. Murrin is perfectly fine. What you really need to decide is: was her sentence fair? Does the Verona that you know – and don’t discount your twenty-plus years of experience because she did something you didn’t expect – does she deserve to spend the rest of her life on a penal colony?”

“Why does it matter? Her sentence is the same, whether I like it or not.”

“I think deciding how you feel about the situation will give you peace of mind.”

“Fine,” Analia said, resolve hardening. “She deserves it. She should have thought things through. I’m sure she didn’t realize what would happen, but that doesn’t make her any less culpable.”

Sue nodded, looking weary. “I won’t try to change your mind.”

“What, you would forgive her?” Analia challenged.

“As an outsider, I’m inclined to. But I don’t know. Maybe, if I were in your place, I would feel the same way,” Sue admitted.

Analia decided to steer the conversation in a different direction. “But forgiveness isn’t important, according to Nirvana. What matters is justice, right? Absolute equality. According to Teacher Egrand, anyway.”

“Oh, that doctrine’s been around for ages, you know it has. Nirvana has always dealt in justice, as is only right for a being of her power,” Sue said. “The only part that’s new is that he wants us to try and make it into mortal law.”

“To be perfectly honest,” Analia said, “I agree with his goals. Just because Shaping is something everybody can do doesn’t mean those who do it don’t deserve decent wages. I never told her, but I didn’t want Verona to be a Shaper because I didn’t think she’d be able to get a good job. And I do think colony worlds should have more representation in the Senate, and the education restrictions have always been ridiculous. It’s just…”

“…it’s political,” Sue finished.

Analia nodded. “And I don’t think that’s the point of following Nirvana. It’s like he’s trying to take the doctrine and fit it to an agenda.”

“All this is actually a very concerted effort,” said Sue. “These new ideas are being spread across the whole church. Rumor has it that the High Council itself is behind this.”

The High Council was made up of four people, who were said to be already Balanced souls, reincarnated again to lead Nirvana’s people. If it came from them, it was doctrine, as simple as that. They didn’t tend to set strict doctrine or rules, preferring to let the people find their own route to Balance. The fact that they were pushing it this hard...

Analia sat back, a little bit dumbfounded. She hadn’t realized it was a church-wide movement. “But that – that’s so strange. Why would this be that important to Nirvana? Human politics are beneath her.”

“Maybe it’s like they say – she wants us to give everyone an equal chance in each life, and she’s gotten tired of the injustice.”

“It must be that,” agreed Analia. Now that she understood the source, she felt lighter. One burden of doubt had been lifted. She didn’t understand Nirvana’s reasoning, but it would be arrogant of her to presume to understand a goddess anyway. She still didn’t like it, but she could accept it. And of course, the High Council was the mouthpiece of Nirvana. Otherwise was not a worldview she wanted to accept.

But still, she didn’t want to be reminded of the galaxy’s problems every time she went to church.

Several hours later, Analia flashed her ID card across her apartment’s security pad. The door unlocked, and she entered her house, shivering in the chill air. Her mind was abuzz, mulling over her discussions with Sue. She had left Sue’s house feeling not quite reassured, but less anxious.

As she set her purse down, an alert flashed in her holovision, announcing that there had been another protest downtown. Analia gestured to open the video feed and watched them for a minute, waving signs and shouting as a blond-haired reporter spoke over them.

This is what Nirvana wants all of us to do, she realized. Analia had never been much for praying, but that night she sent up one question. Why now? she begged silently. Don’t I have enough to deal with already?

ChimeraMania wrote a review...

Okay seeing as no one had caught this or it may be a newer mistake.

'when she and Verona wen re old enough to'

'when she and Verona were old enough to'

'I didn’t think she ever do something like that,'

Here's another one that stuck me.
'I didn't think she'd ever do something like that,'
There those are better.

Your mistakes are becoming less. I hope you kept that going.
I like how their POV's sort of contrast each other. Verona's is about the rebellion (kind of) and the inside workings, while Analia is, of course about the outside but it seems its also about the reason, the recruitment's, the government, and the past. How they take what the goddess says and applies it to everyday life. Like the Government applies it one way while the Absolutes a different way. It's like everyday life on a different planet that separated into more than one planet.

I really like this.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:06 pm
Wolfi wrote a review...

Happy Review Day!!!

I love Analia. She's an awesome character.

...playing with Sue’s own teenage children. But they grew, Sue’s children left one by one, and...

This part seems awkwardly written. At first I wondered why you couldn't just put "they" in place of the underlined part, but then I realized that when you had said "they" earlier in the sentence you had been referencing to everyone, Analia and Verona included, who aren't Peter Pans and grow up, too. In any case, it could use some simple rewording. Something like, "But eventually, one by one, her kids grew up and moved out..."
when she and Verona wen re old enough to watch themselves

*finds typo no one else had discovered yet* WHOO!
the intricate rug

The word "intricate" is a quick, easy way to escape from the wrath of describing something that has a lot of details. It's alright. Slow down and describe those details a little. Perhaps we can glimpse a bit of characterization from the rug's appearance, and why Sue would still have it after all these years.

I like how you've brought up a conflict that's happening in Sue's home life. It makes everything seem a lot more real. It makes things more relatable. Adding the outburst of laughter at the dinner table was also a nice touch - contrasting awkward conflict with ice-breaking comedy.

Otherwise was not a worldview she wanted to accept.

"Otherwise" doesn't work as well as I'd like it to here. Maybe "any other system" or something like that?

I like that. You're emphasizing the magnitude of the world's unjust political problems - they even spread to church, a place that should be singly about worshipping Nirvanna.

Coming back to Analia's side of things is always nice. Her problems and conflicts are more internal than Verona's. These chapters always tend to provide more insight into Analia's life and what she's going through, while also showing your readers a little bit more about how the world works without the tainted view of the Absolutes. I think we're seeing now that both Verona and Analia are seeing the dystopian-ness of their governments. Verona was the first to realize it, of course, but Analia is close behind.

I'm ready to jump into the next chapter! Keep up the excellent writing!

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:23 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hellooo again! :D

General thoughts.
One of my favorite things about dystopias (and I know this isn't exactly a dystopia) is being able to use them to think about things happening in our own world. I'm really enjoying the political aspect you're putting into this (because even though I want to dislike politics, I'm always sucked back in :p). Not only is it interesting for the story, but I think it gives the reader a lot of interesting things to think about - like justice versus mercy/forgiveness in our own society. I was a criminal justice minor in college and this is a huge debate, should be lock everyone up that does something wrong ("justice") or should we rehabilitate and reintegrate ("mercy/forgiveness"). I think the stuff about how the government here is using parts of their religion to further their political agenda or make a political point is so salient in today's culture (at least in the US) it's kind of painful :p I don't know if it was your intention to get political and make parallels to our world today, but I dig it :)

In terms of the writing, I thought this was a pretty well-done chapter. I liked that Sue was used as an avenue to make Analia think things through a little more. However, I still want a little less thinking and a little more doing :) I love thought processes and inner monologues but I also want Analia to get out there and make a decision and do something. I know you're still trying to figure out what her place is, and that's fine. Experiment a little and see what she can do :) I also really liked the way you included the back story here. It was just enough and done just right so it was meaningful and not boring or overdone!

The only other bigger picture thought I had in this chapter was that the ending felt rushed to me. She was at Sue's and they were having this great conversation and figuring things out and then bam she's home and sees something on tv and then bam decides this is what Nirvana wants but she's not sure if she agrees. To me, that all happened really fast. If that's what you want the main focus of the chapter to be, maybe speed up some of the other stuff and slow that down.

Oh, and I want to know more about Sue's husband. Like what's his deal? I'm glad there's some mystery there with him (I've said that before :p) but you gotta give me the details at some point, okay :)

Specific thoughts.

The smell of herbs and honey greeted Analia at the door and conjured up a wave of memories.

Very small thing - since this is a new chapter, remind us where we are. "at the door" of what?

It was even the same bowl of candy sitting on the mantelpiece that Verona used to sneak mints from while Analia kept watch.

The last two paragraphs are really just lovely. I love the way you integrated how things were with how they are now. You used really beautiful descriptions and I felt the emotion :)

Analia swallowed, not sure how to respond. Wordlessly, she took her bowl.

These two sentences feel a little redundant. She's not sure how to respond and then she doesn't say anything. To me, not being sure how to respond makes me think she doesn't say anything. Is there a way you can combine these two sentences or reword to get rid of the redundancy?

They sat at the table, Analia across from Sue.

You could simplify this by saying "They sat across from each other at the table"

It was rich and creamy, the vegetables little islands in a pale sea.

Love!

and took another large spoonful, only to find that this one was much hotter than the first.

Eh, I thought how this suddenly burned her mouth and the reaction was a little weird. I find it hard to believe that the first bite wouldn't burn her but the second did. I get that you're trying to break the ice and I think you could still have her burn her tongue but maybe on the first bite? And I didn't really feel the description in this paragraph about what happens when the soup burns her tongue. I burn my tongue all the time (-_-) and I've never spluttered, I breathe and try to cool off my mouth. I've never needed anyone to pound on my back (I would be afraid that would make it worse!) And then the description about how it passes down her esophagus was too much for me. I don't think it was necessary.

Break up this paragraph (when you switch characters or focus).

I'm not sure how I feel about taking such a direct approach to what she wants to talk about. What about something like "How have things been going since the accident?"

See you next time! Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! :D

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:32 pm
FeatherPen wrote a review...

Wow, your writing is fantastic! I think that you have hit on a very important point of where religion and its morals start to mix with politics and power and also the blind acceptance of religion.

“the visits dwindled and faded into memory.” Sounds poetic and suits the mood
Infact your descriptions and dialogue are both awesome.

“Analia nodded, realizing Seil must be her husband’s name.” If she visited lots in her child hood might she have already known this?

Using the discussion with Sue was a clever way of revelling how Analia is feeling whether it was intended or not.

Would you consider renaming the chapters with out the part 1 and two? It is a bit hard keeping track of them as it stands.

Sorry it is a shorter review than I usually do because I can’t find any way to improve it.
keep on writing!

Mea says...

Thanks for the review! Most of them are actually listed in parts, I just forgot to with chapter nine, and then this one is actually the entire chapter 10. ;)

Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:47 am
Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, I'm back to review again! This chapter is slightly better than chapter nine since not only does it talk about politic, it blends it with religion, which is an interesting combination. :)

As children, she and Verona had spent hours at Sue’s house after school while their mother worked, playing with Sue’s own teenage children.

I would put the part about playing with Sue's children after "Sue's house" since some readers might get confused as to why Analia's mother played with Sue's children while working.

Nothing to suggest here; I just like how this tiny detail gives us a wonderful interpretation of how Verona and Analia act when they are children. I adore this.

Large and wooden, it bore many scratches, memories of children’s carelessness.

Instead of saying it's caused by children's carelessness, it would be nice to show it how. This is an optional thing though, but it would give us a nice thing to imagine other than Sue and Analia having a conversation.

I would break this paragraph into three; one for Analia exclaiming it's good, one for how Analia eats it and things go wrong, and another for her exclaiming it burns.

Anyway, on to the plot. It's an interesting discussion Sue's having right now. I like how she doesn't force Analia to change her mind or even say her reasons to forgive Verona. It seems like she's a sensitive person to how other feels, and that's a nice trait for her. Nonetheless, I wish she would tell why she would forgive Verona but that's just me being greedy. :p

Hmm... the religion being put into law seems like an echo of what's going on in the past about the fallen of church or something I read in History classes. It's an interesting topic - to question whether religion activities can be made compulsory or not. In my opinion, I don't think it's wrong as long as it doesn't restrict others to follow their own believes, but I'd like to see how it is played out here.

So there. Nothing more to say since this chapter is not packed with actions or decision makings, but it's certainly an important one to clue us about what's going to happen next. Keep it up! :D

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace