Lines of Faith: Chapter 2, Part 1/2

by Mea

There was no body, only ashes. Verona’s mother had been cremated only a few hours after death. There was no biopsy, only a DNA test to confirm it was really her. There had been nothing left. Verona had refused to look at the accident photos, preferring to remember her mother whole, not mangled and broken.

Analia had looked. Sometimes, when Verona lay awake long into the night, she could hear Analia whimpering in her sleep.

And now, dressed in somber, earthy brown clothes, they sat in church for the funeral.

The familiar setting did nothing to comfort her. The intricate carvings on the pillars and the interweaving patterns of black and white on the walls couldn’t distract her as they had through many a boring speech. She waited silently, fingers twined with Analia’s.

They had arrived early with Uncle Iban, their mom’s oldest sibling. He had stepped up as the family leader in this time of grief, and it was he who organized the funeral and took care of all the logistical concerns. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Verona was grateful that she didn't have to deal with it. She had never expected to plan her mother’s funeral at twenty-one. But mostly she buried her pain in endless hours of media.

If Uncle Iban played the role of family leader, Uncle Dytan played the role of emotional support. When they had all gathered at the crematory on that fateful day, he had immediately offered to let Verona and Analia stay with him while they were grieving, despite the fact that his wife, Jena, was nearly comatose with grief over the loss of her twin. They had accepted - neither of them felt up to returning to school and the dorms.

Verona watched numbly as the people filed in, somber and silent. Many were family members, whom she knew, but some were strangers - probably Mom’s colleagues. It didn’t matter. She gripped Analia’s hand more tightly.

There had been tears at first. She had spent those nights with Analia. They had held each other and cried. But as the denial passed and the sense of loss hardened into grief, the tears had stopped. She almost wished she were back at school, dealing with the stress of assignments and tests. It would be much easier to forget. But she couldn’t forget, and the sleepless nights gave birth to a cold, hard anger.

Everyone had filed in and settled down. A woman stood up and spoke about her mother, candidly speaking of her deeds and misdeeds as heard from family and friends. Verona had been asked to contribute, but she could hardly remember what she had said, and she didn’t bother listening. But at the end, when the preacher led them in asking Nirvana to accept her mother’s life as just, Verona bowed her head and begged, Let her have peace.

Analia bowed her head along with everybody else. They hadn’t discussed her crisis of faith again. Their mother’s death had locked that door, for now. Verona didn’t know if Analia believed again, but she was glad she was participating. The support was comforting.

They all rose and headed outside to a flotilla of rented hoverbikes, with one hovercar to carry her mother’s ashes. Verona, Analia, Uncle Dytan, and Aunt Jena rode in the hovercar to the cemetery. Aunt Jena was the one that held the ashes, in a pure white, ceramic jar. The grieving woman spent the journey staring at the jar, as if she couldn’t quite believe the only remnant of her twin was inside.

Verona stared out the window to avoid looking at the jar, barely registering the buildings and trees flashing by. The sun was bright in her eyes, and she felt a brief flash of anger at the weather for being so cheerful. But she wasn’t really angry at the weather. She was angry at Him.

Murrin Pacton. She had only known the name for a week, but she hated the sound of it. Because of him, her mother was dead. He had been driving the delivery liner that had swerved across three lanes without looking. Her mother’s tiny speeder had never stood a chance. She let the anger blossom in her chest and support her. It drove away the pain.

The funeral procession arrived at the cemetery, a large, enclosed orchard with hundreds of trees, all different types. One for each person whose ashes were scattered here. Near the front of the park, the trees were only saplings, but towards the back the trees were full-grown. Some were more than one hundred years old. When the tree was old enough, a loved one would carve the name of the person in the tree, and the tree bore that name forevermore.

They walked to the small plot of land, Jena carrying the urn, Verona and Analia assisting with the sapling. The plot was freshly prepared, a hole dug to accommodate the sapling and the earth around it churned up. As the twin of the deceased, it was Aunt Jena’s place to scatter the ashes and plant the tree.

Her aunt bent down and unstopped the lid of the jar, everyone gathered around her in a half circle. Her hands were shaking, and tears streamed freely down her face.

Without a word, Uncle Dytan went to her, putting an arm around her and helping her scatter the ashes. Verona’s heart broke at seeing her favorite aunt so utterly destroyed. Her heart hardened in anger as she thought of Murrin and his upcoming trial. Prison’s too good for him, but I hope he rots there forever.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:34 am
erilea wrote a review...

Heya! It's Artemis here for yet another review! :D I see this one was shorter than the previous two. Don't overachieve, Meandbooks. :)

I didn't realize this until now, but even after you mentioned in the first chapter that Verona was twenty-one, I imagined her as more like your age, fifteen. I would suggest you try to emphasize her age more, make her thoughts adult-like. I know it's hard for you to do that, seeing as you're still a teen. But I want you to try. GO GO GO

I love how you express Verona's emotions. That was really detailed and skilled, and when you mention Murrin, I think it's amazing how Verona gets angry. You're really thinking about how a person might feel, and I respect that. Great work, and keep writing!

-Artemis28

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:18 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello! I think I have less thoughts about this part :)

Reader thoughts.
I thought this was well-done. This chapter was mostly telling, but I thought it worked. The only thing that jarred me was that obviously some time has passed since the last chapter and this one, but you don't signify how much time.

Overall, I thought this was well-written with a lot of nice glimpses into the world. (I'll try to remember to point those out during the editing thoughts part). I would have liked the information about exactly what happened to the mom sooner. You tell us, but it's towards the end. And I would like a little more emotion throughout. I thought the telling worked because you were able to pass a lot of time and give a lot of information, but I feel nothing. I want to feel something. You give a little bit of emotion, but I want more and I want it to be vivid. I was starting to get to know Verona and Analia in the last chapter and I want to keep that momentum going. Maybe a little more showing?

Editing thoughts.

There was no body, only ashes.

I loooove the simplicity of this.

Verona’s mother had been cremated only a few hours after death.

I would add "her" before "death".

There was no biopsy, only a DNA test to confirm it was really her. There had been nothing left.

I think I get what you're saying, but I'm a tad confused. The accident left her so mutilated that there was nothing left and they had to do a DNA test to confirm it's her? Maybe consider rephrasing this a little.

Verona had refused to look at the accident photos, preferring to remember her mother whole, not mangled and broken.

Analia had looked.

This is one of those little world details I really liked. They wear "earthy brown clothes" to funerals.

They had arrived early with Uncle Iban, their mom’s oldest sibling. He had stepped up as the family leader in this time of grief, and it was he who organized the funeral and took care of all the logistical concerns.

You could make this a list - "...in this time of grief, organized the funeral, and took care of...."

She had never expected to plan her mother’s funeral at twenty-one.

Is Verona 21 or is her mother 21.

But mostly she buried her pain in endless hours of media.

Meh. I think this distracts from the point unless you're going to show us how she's been distracting herself.

If Uncle Iban played the role of family leader, Uncle Dytan played the role of emotional support.

You explained where Iban is in the family order, what about Dytan?

When they had all gathered at the crematory on that fateful day, he had immediately offered to let Verona and Analia stay with him while they were grieving, despite the fact that his wife, Jena, was nearly comatose with grief over the loss of her twin.

This is a long sentence and I think you could make it much more concise. "They had been staying with their uncle Iban ever since they learned of their mother's death" or "They accepted their offer to stay with Uncle Iban. Neither felt up to returning to school and the dorms" Something like that.

The going back and forth between what's going on in the present at the funeral and back when they first found out is a little jarring to me. Maybe try to make it a little more clear (besides just tenses) when you're talking about. "At first" could be during the funeral ceremony too, even though I know now in hindsight that you're talking about after the death. So you could do "Right after finding out about their mother, there had been tears" (You can probably come up with something better) :)

Everyone had filed in and settled down.

A woman stood up and spoke about her mother, candidly speaking of her deeds and misdeeds as heard from family and friends.

There's some pronoun confusion here. "her mother" makes it sound like the woman is speaking about her own mother.
Also, does Verona recognize this woman? Is it a family member or presumed friend?

Verona had been asked to contribute, but she could hardly remember what she had said, and she didn’t bother listening.

Huh? She couldn't remember what she said was she was asked or what she said at the funeral? And she didn't bother listening to what? The request? The funeral ceremony?

They all rose and headed outside to a flotilla of rented hoverbikes, with one hovercar to carry her mother’s ashes.

Another nice little world detail :)

But she wasn’t really angry at the weather. She was angry at Him.

I liked the anger displacement and this information, I think I'd prefer to have it a little earlier. Maybe when she arrives at the funeral she can be angry at the weather and then we can learn this?
(I still feel like this is going to be a bigger plot component and maybe there's some sort of conspiracy here...) :)

enclosed orchard with hundreds of trees, all different types. One for each person whose ashes were scattered here.

One tree for every person's ashes or one kind of tree for every person's ashes. I love the idea of planting trees over the dead <3 (But if they all have a different kind that's a loooot of kinds of trees!)

When the tree was old enough, a loved one would carve the name of the person in the tree, and the tree bore that name forevermore.

Great world detail. Looooooove this. I want this to be a thing in the real world.

As the twin of the deceased, it was Aunt Jena’s place to scatter the ashes and plant the tree.

So then who will do that for Aunt Jena when she dies since her twin is already dead?

Overall, I thought this was a nice chapter part. Nothing crazy exciting happened, it was quieter than the last parts, but it was insightful. I liked seeing how Verona deals with grief and there were so many great insights into the world.

And have I mentioned yet that I'm really jealous that you write this well at 15? You have great use of language and mechanics and everything. (Probably because you read so much) :)

This is a random side-note, but I really appreciate that you break the chapters into parts. It makes each part much more readable because it's shorter :)

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! And let me know if you want me to elaborate anywhere!

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:30 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello, again! I'm trying to be slightly more punctual this time. (Still on a phone, so heed those typos.)

Sorry to start out with such a huge quote, but I wanted to pick apart the first paragraph.

There was no body, only ashes. Verona’s mother had been cremated only a few hours after death. There was no biopsy, only a DNA test to confirm it was really her. There had been nothing left.

First off, the last chapter we leave off with the girls just figuring out that their mother has died. And now several days have passed -- and a golden opportunity to show us the girls. How they react to everything that has just happened. So the transition between chapters seems like too much of a skip between events as we gain only a summary of what emotional turmoil they had rather than experiencing the shock and grief first hand.

With the actual paragraph, it feels a little jumpy. I can see the connection between the first two paragraphs, but after that I lose the train of thought. Such, what does a biopsy have to do with this...? I didn't mean that to sound rude, but I'm quite confused. I've never seen the word before, and going off the definition (removing skin tissue to research the extent of a disease -- the mom didn't die from disease, I didn't think?) it doesn't fit. And the DNA test makes sense to have, so that sentence doesn't make much sense.

Next, it talked about there being nothing left, but aren't there still the ashes? It may help to go into more detail about how there was nothing of her mother left and leave us with a heartfelt memory with Verona and the mother. Overall, I recommend so reworking of that paragraph.

I agree with Flite that in future drafts, it would help to shorten the funeral (maybe even delay it some?) and explore Verona's feelings about what has just occurred for her. I want to be able to sympathize for her loss and identify with Verona through this hard time. First her problems with her sister, then her friend and now her mother.

The ceremony itself was interesting, burying the ashes into a sapling that will grow into a large tree to commemorate the dead for ages. (I am sort of wondering, even if it's not a point of critique, how much space do they have to bury the dead? How many trees can they have and how many people die? Are there not a lot of people in this world? This shows that we don't really know a lot yet.) It was a really sweet scene and has a little good world building of the culture that they have ~

One final thing that I can't seem to wrap my head around is how old they are. It's interesting the difference in culture, but it's hard for me to imagine them as 21, considering they still seem to be in school. And I just don't see them as that old, they don't act like that to me. I can't tell you why, perhaps it's just my mind but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

I really like how this is progressing so far. And it doesn't seem like this will be the end of Murrin, or the last we'll see of him. And these Arbitraitors, more than likely, Verona may get tangled up with them. But I digress. I can't wait for more ~

Keep on Writing,
~Wolfe

Apricity wrote a review...

Here I am, I've finally caught up. This is going to be more of a comment than review because I've said all the things that needs fixing in the previous two chapters. This is going to come across as harsh but I don't see why a funeral needs to take up an entire chapter. It's a very lovely ceremony as a previous reviewer have said, don't get me wrong. I know how much Verona and Analia loves her mother, I know their family member and their roles. But all that does nothing to drive the plot forward, this chapter is mostly an emotional filler. A funeral that has been stretched out too long and weighted down with unnecessary details.

Prison’s too good for him, but I hope he rots there forever.

^ That, that is something you can write on. I suggest that you shorten the funeral ceremony in future drafts, only bring out the essentials. Such as the role of the Uncles, and make Verona show us who is the emotional support. Don't tell us, show us via gestures. Then, move onto the trail. I want to hear about Murrin, because he's interesting. Because he will invoke a lot of reactions and thoughts from Verona, which will help us understand her.

As per usual, if you have questions, or just want to kick down my front door and yell at me. Please don't hesitate.

-Flite

Mea says...

You're completely right, of course. The only reason the funeral scene is this long is because I didn't have time to work out how to write the important stuff.

ChimeraMania wrote a review...

HEYO :P Sharrae here for a review on this lovely day.
First in foremost.

the walls couldn’t distract her as they had through many a boring speech.

[color=red]"..the walls couldn't distract her as they had through many boring speeches.[/red]

I think you should switch these last two sentences in this paragraph. It seems like the last sentence wouldn't fit, so if you change the last two, it'll fit in better. Now for the last sentence. If you switch them, try added it to the third sentence in that paragraph. I feel it needs to be connected to something.

She almost wished she were back at school, dealing with the stress of assignments and tests.

In my opinion 'or' would be better than 'and' in this sentence.

Second in lost most.
That is the most beautify ceremony I've ever read. I like how this not...well how do I explain it....it's original, creative and just different. Although it was a funeral, I loved that part to most.
So I know I new to this but I might just go back and read chapter 1. Let me know about the next update by the way.
Now, as you can see, I only noticed 3 mistakes. Someone might come along and list more, but these are the ones that stuck out to me.
I wished this was just a hairline longer, but the others might be the same, so I can't really say anything at the moment.
Keep writing this, I like it, even though, again, this was about death.

~Sharrae out, tottles

"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh