to be gay in this christian nation

by Mageheart

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

i hate having to justify my existence
to a god i don't even believe in.

i'm told to stand before
a court of angels
with their many piercing eyes
and great big wings.

the judges see the rainbows
in my young virgin blood
and call me one of their sinners.

they promise me eternal salvation
because i chose to
put the rainbows there.
i can choose to take them out.

the angels don't realize
i've never had blood
as red as theirs.

they praise me for my celibacy.
my body is a temple,
and sex is the true sin.
they think i'm keeping
my body pure for a husband.

little do they know
that i just have no interest
in the union between
any two bodies,
save for the touching
of two women's lips.

their words fall on mostly deaf ears.
my rainbow blood boils
because i never put the angels on trial
unless they call me a sinner first.

Disclaimer: This poem was written with the intention of critiquing religious homophobia. I know that religion doesn't always equal ostracizing queer people like me, but I wanted to write this in response to the religion that does. If you do believe that being gay is a sin, please don't use your reviews or comments on this work to argue that, or tell me that God accepts me regardless of that. This poem is just meant to be a vent and a glimpse into the life of a very gay and very ace atheist.

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:44 pm
Kelisot wrote a review...

DAMN THIS IS DEEP MAGE I FEEL YOU THERE, MY FRIEND

Hello, this is Kelisot for a review, who is biased and can relate to you. I thought of writing a poem, but you wrote it so well, I'm not gonna write it!

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, I'm savoring each word in this poem because it's so DAMN GOOD. Like, I have no words that I think this review may be very short. I'm not fully an atheist (more of an agnostic believer, I just know and don't know that there is some being or force moving fates and watching life's play), although I can relate to this too much. My real self is also in a situation like this, with people expecting me to be united or save my innocence to a maiden, when I could just simply have it with a pretty boy I'm already losing innocence from. (Sorry for some ranting there, I'll continue)

Another reason it was worth savoring your poetry was because of the repetition of your theme of divine punishment and the rebellion shouted across, specifically rainbow! It's funnier because I personally liked the rainbow with 6 colors anyways-- better than 7 lmfao.

Anyways, I find it interesting you used angels that are punishing and praising the narrator (that is, you and several other people who can relate to this poem, I guess), unlike how God is actually supposed to be the judge in this religion, supposedly saying if this "religion" you want to escape from is Christianity.

I support your ideas and respect them. I hope things go better with your real-life self, it's sometimes hard to keep a facade upon something that rejects our identity that motivates our existence. I hope you have a great day/morning/afternoon/evening/night.

Snoink wrote a review...

Hi!

Okay, full disclaimer... I am Christian here, but like. I want to help you with your imagery to make you get the gut punch effect on actual Christians that you need to make your work sing. SO. I will not try to convert you or anything. I'm just trying to help you, lol.

So! I loved the imagery that you put here because you have that imagery of someone standing there for judgment and being forced to bleed for their sins, which is a very common Christian imagery! One of my favorite songs ("Hope in the Air" by Laura Marling... which is, in fact, a song that does not have much hope in it and mostly has anger, lol... in fact, your poem kind of reminds me of this song) in fact uses this sort imagery of Last Judgment to make a brutal sort of point about injustice.

Anyway, I really like that because it looks like you are trying to use Christian imagery that you are using to critique Christianity, so you are kind of inverting it into your own thing.

The trouble is... the Christian imagery that you are using is weird and doesn't make any sense. So if a Christian were to read this, they might just be confused. Like, they would understand what you're trying to say, but it would be weird. It would be like if I were to start talking about the major roles of garbage cans in ocean pollution. And then someone else might say, "Um... you mean the problem of garbage, right?" Like, it would be that level of weirdness.

So a Christian might read this and understand exactly what you're trying to say, but because you messed up the imagery of our religion, we're probably not going to be as impacted as you want because you didn't portray our religion correctly. And, since I'm assuming that you want to just punch us in the gut with the force of your words, this is a bit of a problem.

SO. With that said, I would like you to help punch me in the gut, lol.

Angels are part of Christian imagery, but they're sort of... minor players. And they don't actually have any blood. At all. They are considered to be beings made of pure energy. Occasionally, they can assume a form, but they are spiritual beings, not physical. So the idea of them bleeding any blood is just... weird. They also don't judge. They might play a role in assisting out the carrying out of judgment, but they don't actually judge. They are minor players. So all the imagery that you have of angels you is... nonsensical to us actual Christians.

In our religion, it's God that does the judging. But this is good for you in terms of this poem because in Christianity, God actually has blood... because in Christianity you have God being literally personified as Jesus Christ, who has human and bled and died literally for our sins. And, in the imagery of the Last Judgment, you have God stand as judge. Which is good because that means you don't have to rework your poem too much, lol. Just change a couple of names around. And besides, having God be your judge is... actually quite terrifying anyway, so you can use this to your advantage, haha.

Anyway! I hope all of this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to comment below and I'll try to answer. Or, if you're annoyed by this review, feel free to ignore, I guess. xD

Mageheart says...

Hi Snoink! Thank you so much for your review. :) I originally went with the angels because that's weirdly the first thing that comes to mind when I think of aspects or Christianity, but God doing the judging makes way more sense than the angels I originally went with. I'll revise this poem to have God instead of them the first chance I get.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:09 am
winterwolf0100 says...

I love love love love love it. That is all I have to say :]

Mageheart says...

awww thanks !!!

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 pm
mothbroth says...

this is SO gorgeous oh my goodness

Mageheart says...

awww thanks !! i'm glad you liked it %uD83E%uDD7A

Mageheart says...

...that was supposed to be the pleading face emoji, but i like how that makes it look like i was so excited that i keysmashed

You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster