z

Young Writers Society



night-blooming cereus

by erilea


you. with silken white petals and a sweet, sweet scent

that pulled in my fluttering wings and lured me closer

to an ephemeral paradise.

you were the one who told me to ignore the stars,

ignore their warnings of--

intoxication is fleeting. there is beauty to be found

outside of honey-sweet words--

and i obeyed.

what a fool of me to do so, 

to drink in your glistening, sugary whispers,

for you, a night-blooming cereus,

wilted away from the moon after a fragrant summer's night

and left me alone.

and so i learned that moths do not only travel to flame,

but a saccharine nectar instead.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 206

Donate
Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:04 am
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...



Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking hot cocoa and being a slacker. *Grim looks over, glaring* So, lets get started. :smt020

So, to start off this review the first thing I had noticed was that the first line would make more sense if you to use the word bloom instead of flower. It would flow better off of the tongue. A few lines here and there are in dire need of joining the comma club so I will list thoughs line and then continue into the poems meaning, that is, if I get it right!

1. "you twisted my heart with your words" this line is the first to join the club, a comma needed after the word "words"

2. "i held on to your honey-sweet words" this line may sound thoughts you would put "when" or while" instead of "until"

Otherwise everything else was great and the flow was pretty good.

Now is when I dissect your poem and see if I can't get its meaning right! So, in your poem you are telling us, the reader, about how person you loved, trusted and dated one night just abandoned you. They feed you sweet, candied words, false hopes. The comforted you and then they broke you into hundreds of tiny glass shards and whoever tries to help you will just get cut as well. Maybe.

Overall I loved the poem and keep up the good work! Happy Halloween! I really need to go now Grim has souls to reap and he needs more cocoa. He has a problem, seriously. Cheerio and fruit loops to you!




erilea says...


You interpreted it right! :D

Thanks for the review!



User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:12 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox wrote a review...



Good evening!

So, as a whole, I like this poem. The manipulator and his games are fascinating, as he charms and warms the heart of the narrator in what ultimately turns out to be a farce, presumably so he could abandon her and pursue yet another romance. The emotional development and shifts in the poem suits the subject matter, working with vivid metaphors to convey the effect of the manipulator in awakening the narrator and granting them light, followed by the subsequent betrayal and breakdown of the narrator. I'm not entirely sure I can understand the moon metaphor, as it doesn't appear to be directly associated with him to the point that I can call it his own compliments. It could be the rest of the world, or maybe the close circle of friends/associates to either the narrator or the manipulator, whom the manipulator used to further motivate the narrator by amplifying the flattery granted to the narrator. It may also - and this is more simple, so, by Occam's Razor, it's more likely to be correct - be the narrator's self-esteem, intensifying under the newfound praise, and thus giving her life. Eh, I'm not exactly sure, but I can say it's a solid metaphor, and effectively referred to at the end, when the narrator is broken and hides from that beautiful light.

Honestly, if there's one thing I'd like to see, it's more descriptions/metaphors pertaining to the manipulator. He's left largely hollow and undefined, and I'd like to see more of his charming nature, particularly since he could wrap the narrator's heart around his finger (so to speak, of course). Maybe there could be an elaboration on "empty words...false hopes", so that the audience can better understand the narrator's entrapment, and perhaps the day in which it all comes crashing down. Regardless, the poem is pretty solid, especially in the ties between the brighter and darker parts of the piece, and even the unique style and punctuation has appropriate pauses and a whisper-like effect (given the state of the narrator, that makes perfect sense). I'm not sure if the em-dashes need necessarily belong before and after the italics, since it's quite clear who's speaking the lines, and the pauses are unnecessary; the audience's pauses between lines should be an appropriate substitute, in my opinion. Nevertheless, this was a sad and well-written poem, and I enjoyed reading it from start to finish. Well done!




erilea says...


Thanks for the review! :D



User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:07 am
View Likes
soundofmind wrote a review...



Hey there Lupa!

This is a beautifully sad poem. I knew from the first line that this flower's bloom would be short lived (convinced being past tense, and almost implying a sense of regret), but then I looked up the title and learned something new. I didn't know that a night-blooming cereus was a flower, but I think you chose a very interesting image to use as a metaphor for short-lived, quickly snuffed out flames of unrequited love. Though I've never felt the pain myself, I know that when love is not returned, especially if the other person seems to lead you on, or persuade you to open up and hope that it may work, is a very deep and painful experience for the heart. It's a very particular breed of heartbreak, a hope quickly taken, a love quickly rejected.

It touches on one of the main longings of the human heart: to be accepted. Though you've filed the poem under romantic, I think even for those who have not been in love can identify with this emotion to some degree. Any kind of intimacy and emotional vulnerability can be scary, for fear of rejection and being misunderstood, and a negative experience where that openness is short lives can result in that flower of hope - hope for being accepted, understood, or whatever it may be - to wilt. I believe these lines most directly touch on that.

i believed in your empty words and orbited around your false hopes.

i, after one night in a desperate love i believed to be real,

lay wilted and forgotten,


Whomever is doing the coaxing is clearly insincere, or not willing to follow through on being there for the flower once it opens up, which is heart breaking.

Now I know, perhaps some of my interpretations may very or be completely off from what you were trying to convey, but hopefully hearing how I read it will help you understand how at least I, one person, am reading your words though my unique lens! Thank you so much for this poem. I absolutely love the imagery of a flower that blooms at night, sometimes only for one night only. It's a unique and powerful picture. Good job <3

-sound




erilea says...


Thanks! I got the idea from a book, actually. I've read it a few times and it's soooo good. :D



soundofmind says...


Oooo!! What book?



User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:06 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...



oops forgot to submit it as a review, sorry now there's this unnecessary comment




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 7831
Reviews: 109

Donate
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:59 pm
View Likes
ajruby12 wrote a review...



Hey, AJ here for a quick review!

Ooh, I like this. Your poetic style fits this theme nicely!

Just a few comments:

- This is just a personal thing, but I think the 'I's should be capitalized. You can take or leave that suggestion, but I just think it looks a little odd to have them lowercase

- "give the world what you're worth--" I think the last part of this line is awkward. I think the idea is right, but maybe using different words or wording would be better.

- "and under your careful coaxing, i awoke. / i believed in your empty words and orbited around your false hopes." I feel like there should be another line in between these. Something about the way that the "coaxer" acted towards the flower. Along the lines of "your lips dripped honey-sweet drops" or something. I'm sure you will do a better job than me with that. :)

- "i, after one night in a desperate love i believed to be real," This line was also a bit awkward. Perhaps "One night spent in desparate love, i awoke / lying wilted and forgotten". Again, that's just a suggestion.

- I like the last line! But I feel that I'm still left hanging. In my mind, I envision the flower curling up her petals tightly again, maybe even ashamed or sad.

I like this poem overall! The style matches the theme perfectly, and even thought it's free verse, you still kept with a good rhythm.

Fantabulous work, m'dear!

Keep on writing, and Happy RevMo!

-AJ




erilea says...


Thanks for the review! It really helped. :D




cron
You are strong enough to conquer this day and the rest of your life.
— Tuckster