A Night Sky

by erilea

It is not my job to steal the stars for you.

I should not have to snatch them from the sky and drop them in your hands,

Watching as they light you up with a false glow

That you don’t deserve.

...

I do not want to stitch the moon on my chest for you,

Right where my heart would be, 

Because I know you would like to pretend

That I am whole, that if I act like I am shining inside,

You will shine too.

...

I do not want to glitter like the sun,

Blinding you to all my imperfections, because even the sun

Has sunspots—places where it is too dark to glow

Like the sun usually does.

...

I should not have to become the image of perfection,

A night sky too bright to be real.

I want to be the epitome of the earth—

A rock that cannot be moved,

A plant forever thriving, unhindered by the shadows,

Its leaves pointing toward an everlasting morning.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:46 pm
Hijinks wrote a review...

Wow! Very interesting.
I wouldn't change the first stanza, at all. Maybe, in the second one, you could say 'That I am whole, that if I act like I am shining inside, you know the light will reflect off of you', or something like that, a bit like he/she is stealing your light, if you know what I mean. Third stanza - amazing!
Last stanza, I would say it's a bit confusing - first you're a rock, then a plant. But keep up the good work!

erilea says...

Thanks for the review! :D

Hijinks says...

You're welcome :)

Hijinks says...

Oh, but I forgot to add I DID really like 'A plant forever thriving, unhindered by the shadows,
Its leaves pointing toward an everlasting morning.'

AriannaC wrote a review...

Great poem -APPLAUSE- . One part that really stands out to me is the last part. It gives a quick summary of the whole thing without ruining the beat of the poem. However, I just wanted to give you a little science lesson. When I read the line " I want to be the epitome of the Earth- a rock that cannot be moved" my geek side came to life... I MUST SERVE THE GEEK SIDE!!!! Anyway.... The Earth is actually constantly moving, revolving around the Sun and rotating on it's axis in a galaxy moving at 1.3 million miles an hour.

Until The End
-Ari

erilea says...

AriannaC says...

yw

beccalicious94 wrote a review...

Hi Lupa22, Becca here for a quick review.

I've read at least one of your other poems, and I'm impressed by your maturity and how eloquently you write about everyday things.

I love your opening line:

I thought it was a very interesting concept you decided to employ--someone stealing the stars for someone else--and I like how you saw it through.

I also really liked the first line of the second stanza
I do not want to stitch the moon on my chest for you
I thought this
that if I act like I am shining inside/You will shine too.
was kind of confusing.

I thought the third stanza was very interesting--applying a nature phenomenon to us humans, great!

I thought the last stanza was good, but had less cohesion than the previous ones. There is more than one theme in this last stanza, so I'm not sure it flows completely well. It seems more like three ideas instead of one: the sky, the rock, and the plant. Maybe this could be three stanzas?

Overall great work! Obviously all changes are up to you as the author. Keep writing, hope to read more of your work! :D

erilea says...

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 pm
RishabhParmar wrote a review...

Mate ! Concept is good. But poem is not first rate. It is not a good poetry. English is a flaw in itself, and if you can't use words properly you will end up with some crap. I hope you won't mind but it is truth. Poetry is about feeling, try to feel your piece. If you can feel then don't lack in thinking. Try to think like a poet. Feel it inside your pounding heart. Increase your heart beat while writing a piece.

I am not saying what you have written is bad, it is good, but try to write in a constructive way. Read poems and try to write one in a rhythmic pattern.

Keep up the good work mate!!!!!

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11