z

Young Writers Society


12+

Unlucky 13 - Chapter 16

by Lib


It was dinner time and everyone was gathered around the dining table, munching on tacos - even Raven was there. And she was sitting across from me, beside Tim. She had told everyone everything while I was out with Izzy and Ave at the park, playing soccer. Everyone was quiet, and no one was meeting my gaze, so I guessed they all felt pity and nothing more.

Grams had told me she knew everything. Although I was upset at her keeping a secret like this from me, I wasn't that annoyed, considering how much people have kept from me.

Mum didn't talk at all. She kept on staying away from me and Raven which kind of confused me a bit, considering how much she jabbered every now and then.

Uncle Sim didn't say a word, just like Tim.

Aunt Martha kept on shooting evil looks towards Raven and Mum.

"I'm done." Tim picked up his plate and glass, and put it on the kitchen counter and left.

I chewed the rest of my food without actually tasting any of it and left as well, excusing myself.

As I trudged up the stairs, I remembered the promise I had made with Maryam about calling her tonight. I checked the time. It was seven o`clock so that meant it'd be six over in Chicago. Sighing, I entered Izzy's room, grabbed my purse and pulled out my phone, only to see that I had one email from my teacher telling me that once I was back, I'd have more work than the rest of the class since I missed about a week and a half of school, a couple of Instagram notifications, and a message from Maryam, saying okay to me calling her.

Me: I'm gunna call

I opened the FaceTime app and called Maryam.

On the fourth ring, she answered.

"Hey." she said softly.

"Hi. How are you?"

I felt too formal.

And as if she had read my mind, she said, "Stop being so formal." I noticed she had bags under her eyes. "And, I'm okay. You?"

"And you're not being formal?" I smirked. I flopped on the beanbag, "I'm fine. Can you give me proof about this entire Maddie-Ella mess?"

Maryam sighed. "Check the Insta post again. My dimples don't show."

My ears perked up at this. Maryam's dimples don't show when she isn't really having fun. That's the only way I realize when she's not happy.

I checked.

Her dimples didn't show.

Maryam stared at me. I stared back. I could see a slow grin appearing from the screen on my face. She looked at me quizzically. "What?"

"Nothing." I grinned. "It's good to know not all my friends have betrayed me."

"You say that like you've got fifty." she grinned back, her dimples showing.

"Can you tell me everything? Please?" I asked.

"Alright..." Maryam trailed off, going silent for a bit, then she started. "When you had left, we had school, obviously, the next day. Ella and I were hanging out carelessly, and then all of a sudden, Maddie appears with her gang. Oh, and Mark was sitting with us. You know, her twin."

I nodded.

She continued, "Mark told her to leave, but she wouldn't listen. Me and Ella just sat there, gawking at the witch because we hadn't even done anything. Maddie invited us both to the amusement park, because of her birthday party. Right? It was the two days after she had invited us. Well, after that... You can imagine what happened."

She paused and I took that as a chance to let the words sink in.

"Ella got excited and she went and dragged you along. And then from that day on, she started hanging with the rest. Bunking classes, getting bad grades, losing riding competitions, stuff like that." she finished.

Nodding slowly, I inhaled and exhaled, and while I did so, I asked, "She hates us?"

Maryam shrugged. I saw her sit on her bed, as the screen shook. "I guess."

"Who have you been hanging out with?" I asked, concerned.

Maryam's brown eyes flicked towards my hair. "Your hair's getting longer." she said casually.

"Stop changing the subject." I said firmly. "Who have you been with and what have they done to you? I know they've done something."

"Nothing. And honestly, girl, your hair's getting longer than it's meant to be."

"Tell me, May." I used her nickname, and I knew that was the only way to persuade her into telling me.

"I dunno." she sighed. "There's this new student. Her name is Imogen. British. And they've done nothing. Just... bullies, ya know?"

"Bullies are bullies. They'll never change. And what about this new girl? Who is she?" I leaned forward, interested to know more about this Imogen girl.

"What do you want to know?" she asked, leaning away from the screen.

"If she's nice or not."

"You sound like a baby."

"Do not."

"Now you do."

"That means I didn't before."

"Never said that..."

I rolled my eyes up to the ceiling. "Anyways, what are you up to?" I looked back down at her and noticed she was chewing the inside of her cheek.

"Nothing. We have a project to do and Imogen and I paired up to do it." she said, still not looking at me.

"So?" What's so bad about that?

"Just worried about my first meeting with her." Maryam said quickly.

I knew there was something else behind those pretty words, but I kept quiet. "Well, I'll see you later. Hopefully the day after tomorrow."

She grinned, and I could tell easily that it was false, "Okay. Bye!"

She hung up before I could say goodnight.

I tossed my phone on the mattress and leaned back into the bean bag, stretching. I thought these few days over.

Maddie wanted Ella to be her friend. Maryam's being left out. There's a knew girl named Imogen. I have a mother. Raven - my used to be enemy - is actually my stepsister. My cousins are supportive. Aunt Martha hates Mum's guts.

The window outside was splattered with rain, and I watched as a crow was being blown away by the harsh wind.

Seventh unlucky bird, I thought gruffly, as I made my way to the bathroom to change into PJs.

I stifled a yawn as I trudged back into Izzy and my room to sleep. I didn't worry about where Raven would sleep considering how many guest rooms this house had.

Izzy bumped into me in the doorway. "What's up?" she chirped.

"Nothing." I mumbled, walking around her and flopping onto my mattress. "Tired."

She nodded in understanding and left - to change I guessed, because she had her PJs in hand.

As my head touched my pillow, I fell into a deep and dreamless sleep.

+++

The next morning, I changed into a comfortable red hoodie and slipped into black ripped jeans, after showering. Izzy was still sleeping. I decided I wouldn't bother her. Seeing my beanie propped up on Izzy's dresser, I pulled it on my head. After making my bed and two dashes of mascara later, I grabbed my Vans and crept out of the room, jogging down the stairs to the next floor, where Grams and Mum had their rooms.

I knocked on Grams' door.

"Come in!" she called.

"Good morning." I chirped, stepping in.

"How are you?"

"Good. Are you done packing?" I asked as I watched her come out of her bathroom. She nodded.

"I did it before I went into the shower. You showered, right?" she said, eyeing my wet hair.

I nodded, taking of my beanie and proving my point. "What time is our flight?"

The clock on the wall said exactly nine o`clock.

"At twelve."

"How long is it, again?"

"Five hours."

"Air Canada?"

She nodded.

I smiled, pleased, and walked away and into Mum's room. I knocked first, obviously, and she opened the door, and ushered me in. Her room was a mess. Clothes on the ground, her suitcase lay open on her – was that a sandwich under her bed? I looked at her state. Her hair was in a messy bun, and she was still in her PJs, stuffing the rest of her belongings in her suitcase.

I shook my head, not believing I was related to her, and helped her pack, without a word.

She looked tired.

I felt sorry for her.

"Mum?" I said quietly, once we were done packing, and were now moving onto cleaning her room.

She hummed a response, and I took that as a sign to ask what had been on my mind for a while. "D-do you like Raven?"

She froze in mid step and turned on her hell to look at me dead in the eyes. Her blue eyes dark.

"Why would I not?" she said sternly, and I started at her tone.

"I mean... She's Brittney's daughter... Brittney." I said quietly.

She shrugged and talked quickly, "I mean, she's never done much harm. She's been an innocent girl, but just... Brit messed her up." she continued cleaning.

"Never done much harm." I quoted. "Ha, very funny, Mum." I crossed my arms, and madly started tapping my foot on the ground.

She whirled around and squinted at me. "What do you mean?"

"She bullied me!" I yelled, losing my temper. Julia, shut up, what are you doing? You forgave her.

"What?"

"She bullied me! I was at school – and she was lurking behind the bookshelves, staring at me, and snapping at me every single time I talked to her!" my voice grew louder and louder with every word I said. "Do you know how hard it's been for me? Do you care? NO! It's all your–" I was interrupted.

Grams had rushed into the room.

"What happened?" she looked at both of us, her head zipping towards Mum and then at me where her gaze settled and she stared me down, and when I couldn't look at her anymore, I looked down at my still-tapping foot.

"I don’t know." I whispered, and walked right out of the room, not caring about anything.

I ran up to Izzy's room, where my suitcase lay open, and heard that the shower in the bathroom was running. Izzy was in there. My clothes, toiletries and other random things were tossed into the suitcase. I dropped my combat shoes on the top of the messy pile and zipped it close.

Why did I yell? Did I really forgive her? Raven? I'm probably going to have an ever-lasting hate for her from now on. I thought, propping up my bag, and starting to pack my purse with all my little things.

Maybe I have the feeling that Raven didn't forgive me. No, that was ridiculous. I didn't even do anything to her. What could possibly make her not forgive me? I didn't even do anythi

The sound of the water running from the shower stopped.

Panicking, even though I didn't know why I was doing so, I rushed to stuff the rest of my personal belongings into my purse, tossed it onto the dresser, and raced down to the living room, tripping on the last step and brushing shoulders with –

"Julia!" she exclaimed.

"Grace? What are you doing here?" I eyed her, looking her up and down. "When did you come here anyways?"

She smiled, "Raven slept over here, remember?"

No, I don't remember her sleeping in this very house, but okay.

"Yes." I lied.

She grinned, “Can I see her?” she leaned over to the side and looked over her shoulder, then she looked back at me. “Still sleeping I’m guessing.”

“Um, yes, I think so. Also… do you by any chance know about…”

“Yeah. I do. Last night. Ray told me about it.” she said quickly, shifting on one foot to the other uncomfortably.

“Oh.” I didn’t mean for it to sound so abrupt, but it came down as that, and Grace blushed.

“I-I’ll wait in the… Erm, the living.” she turned around and rushed back into it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
456 Reviews


Points: 69427
Reviews: 456

Donate
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:37 am
View Likes
EternalRain wrote a review...



Liberty!! I've been so behind with this lately and I apologize! I've kept meaning to get to it but just been busy or tired but now I'm here!


I have to say that I think my favorite part of this chapter was the dimples! Maryam's dimples! That was just too cute and I love how it's incorporated in - it's really smooth; Julia sees the picture of Maryam with no dimples but then Maryam smiles with dimples when they're talking. I just really loved that moment and I thought it was super adorable. It also really reinforced the idea that Maryam is still by Julia's side, which I think was a big takeaway for this chapter.

I'm SO excited about this Imogen character. And Maryam is totally hiding something, and I really wanna know, but I also love the suspense that it builds up and I'm sure there will be a moment down the road where we get to figure some things out.

I wonder why Julia all of a sudden turned against Raven? I felt that it was a bit sudden. Like Julia already spent a lot of time mulling over her hatred at Raven for her teasing and bullying and it seems like Julia has snapped back to feeling unsettled. It definitely brings more drama to the story but it feels a bit out of place here.

The last bit with Grace confused me a little. I'm unsure why she's at the house (and Raven is here when Julia thinks she isn't?? :0) although that isn't the confusing part. Rather, I'm confused about what Julia is referring to when she's saying "last night". One other thing - I feel as if this chapter could have been smoothed off with perhaps a line like "I watched disappear behind the wall and wondered why she was here" (or whatever) just to add a bit more of a finish. Otherwise, the chapter feels a little cut off randomly and not at a part that necessarily wants the reader to read more.

Great chapter! I'm loving how things keep unraveling. And how the story will change once (if?) Julia returns home.

Peace!
~EternalRain




Lib says...


Thanks for the review! I did notice that the ending got a tad messed up so I def will be working on that for draft 2. I have to think about what I'll do to it as well. :p Thanks again!



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:59 am
View Likes
Horisun wrote a review...



Hello! Let's get right into it!
I didn't see any grammar or spelling errors, and the phrasing seemed pretty good, but there's one thing in this chapter that stuck me as odd, and that's Julia's outburst.
Now, I do notice that Julia does seem to have big reactions to things, but I feel like her shouting about Raven like that takes away from the last chapter. And I don't understand why she acted that way. Her thoughts this chapter directly contrast with her thoughts last chapter. She thinks that maybe Raven didn't forgive her afterall this chapter, but last chapter, she was sure Raven and her were OK last chapter.
So, that confused me a bit, I feel that you either got to make her resentful to Raven, or friendly with Raven, otherwise you create this confusing situation where you don't know where their relationship stands, and it's like we're reading two different stories.

One thing I am wondering if Aunt Martha has some sort of connection to this whole thing, other than marrying into this situation. Why does she not like Julias Mother and Raven? But is OK with her? Could she have some sort of connection to the maid who burned down the house? Not suggesting she IS the maid... Though that is a possibility, still.

Overall, this chapter had a lot of interesting details! Can't wait for the next chapter! Have a great day!




Lib says...


I meant it to be confusing, lol. Thank you!



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:56 am
View Likes
Horisun says...



Hello! Let's get right into it!
I didn't see any grammar or spelling errors, and the phrasing seemed pretty good, but there's one thing in this chapter that stuck me as odd, and that's Julia's outburst.
Now, I do notice that Julia does seem to have big reactions to things, but I feel like her shouting about Raven like that takes away from the last chapter. And I don't understand why she acted that way. Her thoughts this chapter directly contrast with her thoughts last chapter. She thinks that maybe Raven didn't forgive her afterall this chapter, but last chapter, she was sure Raven and her were OK last chapter.
So, that confused me a bit, I feel that you either got to make her resentful to Raven, or friendly with Raven, otherwise you create this confusing situation where you don't know where their relationship stands, and it's like we're reading two different stories.

One thing I am wondering if Aunt Martha has some sort of connection to this whole thing, other than marrying into this situation. Why does she not like Julias Mother and Raven? But is OK with her? Could she have some sort of connection to the maid who burned down the house? Not suggesting she IS the maid... Though that is a possibility, still.

Overall, this chapter had a lot of interesting details! Can't wait for the next chapter! Have a great day!




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:50 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



HELLO!

I was so worried I wouldn't get to this today. I'm glad I did, though! This chapter really helped move things along and gave us some good insight into what was going on back home.

I SUPER loved how the conversation with Maryam was handled. This was just too good because we get more insight into not only Maryam's character but also her relationship with Julia. The dimples thing was just AWESOME. I love how this little tidbit was inserted into this discussion, and the fact that it didn't feel random is even better. It felt like it fit perfectly, like this felt totally natural. Plus, it's a cute unique trait to have!

I totally don't remember if Maddie being twin was mentioned before. Part of me wants to say it was mentioned in the first chapter or two, but I just can't remember. BUT all I wanted to say was omg another set of twins! O: It's a very twinny story! It's kind of cool foreshadowing or even parallel similarities between Julia's two different worlds.

How much longer is Julia's hair after only a week and a half?! Maybe Maryam's just really bad at changing topics? Because I don't think the human eye would notice a week and a half of hair growth! I think she must be really bad at lying.

Imogen! You have such cool character names. I wonder why Imogen is so important, why Maryam is so nervous about it. Is Julia going to be overly critical about Imogen since Maryam is now sharing attention with someone else? It's only been a week, I don't know how close these two could be. But Imogen must have some significance because Maryam seems oddly uncomfortable talking about her!

I freaking love beanies.

OMG HER FLIGHT IS AT 12 AND IT'S 9AM?? I've always been raised to get to the airport like three hours before because of delays or flight switches or TSA checks (even though it's Canada and TSA is American) and all those factors and omG ARE THEY LEAVING SOON??

Okay, ew. A sandwich under her bed. The woman's been here for like two days max. T_______T

WHAT HAPPENED.

Omg okay. So THAT escalated quickly.

So Anthea is not very good at hiding her frustrations 'cause she's super quiet and keeping to herself. Sounds like this might be because Raven is in the house now? Maybe Anthea has reason not to trust Raven still? And is thus staying away from Julia, who seemed like she trusted Raven now, and didn't want to get between a potentially budding friendship?

And then Julia is upset with Anthea for leaving her -- which is honestly a very realistic scenario. Learning that your own mother gave up on you would be very hard to take, even if Anthea had very financially-sound reasons for doing so. I also really like that Julia doesn't fully trust Raven yet either, that the apology didn't magically work for her. Again, realistically, Julia will need time to come to terms with the new situation and how things will work out now. Plus, she'd hold grudges against someone who once bullied her because sheesh, that's not even humane.

So this is definitely unresolved for now, but it'll add tension and eventually be revisited later. This plane ride is going to be SUUUUUUUUPER tense though omg I am scared on Grams' behalf. o_o

OH! And I found it interesting that Grace was here. Raven must have told Grace that she was sleeping here for whatever reason. I wouldn't think Raven had reason to fly back to Chicago since her family is technically here. I wonder how they're living without a parent, by the way? Part-time jobs maybe or extended family? Homeless shelter? And does Grace have a part in all this? WHY IS SHE HERE.

omg inner conspiracy theorist dictates raven and grace ain't done here no siree




Lib says...


Thank you so much for the review! I just had oooonnne question. Did the ending seem oddly abrupt?



JabberHut says...


It did actually, yeah! There wasn't much closure for the chapter as it felt like it stopped in the middle of a thought. Nothing that can't be edited later though. :D



Lib says...


I kinda did end it randomly. It was getting super long, and so I stopped it at a place that seemed the least abrupt, and posted. xD Thanks again! (:




Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic