Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Fanfiction

12+

Truth Will Triumph - 1

by Liberty

A/N: Just saying, I'm going to be changing the POVs a lot. I'm sorry, but it's gunna be confusing. It'll be worth it at the end though, I promise.

Anthony's POV

"I'm home!" I called out, as I entered my house. I just got back from work. And - boy - am I exhausted! All that work, and Sarah, tires me every night when I come back to the comfort of my home. It's a big two floor house. Very large, indeed. I sighed as I entered the living room. I sat on the couch, unbuttoning my black coat, to reveal my blue shirt under. "Milly?" I called out again. "Milly!"

She came rushing into the living, lowering her head. "Yes, sir?"

"Where's mom and dad?" I asked.

She looked up at me. "They are at work, sir."

"Ahhh..." I nodded and shooed her off and so she scurried away. "Wait!"

Milly came back inside. "Sir?"

"Make me some tea and bring it to my room." I said. She nodded. Taking a hold of my bag, I retreated to my room which was upstairs a long with all the other rooms - the two guest bedrooms, my parent's bedroom, and the two bathrooms. I changed into sweats and a green t-shirt and laid down on my queen sized bed. I switched on the golden lamp that was resting on my side table and took out my Mac Air laptop from my bag. I opened and new word document and started working on an email that I had to send to my latest client. He asked me for some land and now, I shall I email him and tell him that I will meet with him sometime soon and we will discuss the process.

I started:

Dear James,

Hope you are having a good da

Someone knocked on the door. "Come in." I said loud.

Milly came in. "Sir, your tea." She set it down on my side table, I thanked her and she left. I picked up the navy blue tea cup and took a sip. Gulping it down, I scrunched up my nose and gagged. Her tea will never get better. I should have just asked Rosela.

This is how my day had been going. Typing away at my computer, sipping the tea, gagging, responding to Sarah's continuous text messages, etc. I hope she works on nights like this, because we've got an important meeting tomorrow with the rest of the team tomorrow afternoon. I sighed when I had finished that horrid tea. I heard a door open. Must be my mom or dad. One of them. I got up and went downstairs. "Hey, Mummy! Hey, Daddy!"

I'm twenty-seven and I call my parents 'mummy' and 'daddy'? Yes. I do. No one should have a problem with that or should laugh at it. Kids laugh at it and I don't know why.

"My child," Mummy said, embracing me in a tight hug. "How's my baby?"

I laughed. "I'm fine. How are you?"

She smiled at me. I swear I saw a flicker of sadness in her eyes, but I couldn't say anything. I didn't want anything interfering with my happiness. Ever. I will never let that happen. I've seen it happen in movies and I felt pure agony just watching it! I looked at Daddy. "Daddy? What's wrong?"

He shook his head. "Gabriella is in the worst condition. The doctors say she could be taking her last breaths today." I could see his gray eyes brimming with tears. Mummy looked at him and frowned. "She... She had one wish."

I panicked. This couldn't be good. "Let's go to the living." Daddy reluctantly nodded and I took off his coat and grabbed his bag. I followed my parents into the living and as they sat down, I called for Rosela to make some tea and coffee. Mummy only drinks coffee. Rosela nodded and left.

"So what happened?" I asked them, looking Daddy in the eye.

"Gabriella's still at her house in the village." he started. "She doesn't want to see anyone. It's usually just me, Jenna and her at her house. She's barely drinking or eating anything and the doctor says she doesn't have much time left. She's barely gotten off her bed." he was crying now. I sat beside him and Mummy rubbed his back as he let it all out. "She has one last wish..."

He was crying so hard now that his eyes were swollen. He looked up at me. "Will you marry Jenna?"

Mummy gasped and muttered something like why already, Zane? I stared at Daddy. "What?"

"Will you marry Jenna?" he said again then shook his head, holding his head in his hands. "She wanted someone worthy and caring enough to take care of her daughter. She's worried that Jenna might be a lonely soul when she leaves this world. Will you, Anthony?" his eyes held so much sadness that I was dumbfounded. I couldn't do it.

"Um, I need time." I mumbled, getting up and leaving to go back to my room.

As I sat on the bed, I collected my thoughts and listed them.

Aunty Gabriella was dying. Her last wish is for me to marry her daughter. Yes, she's my cousin, but... I barely know her, for god's sake! Why should I marry her then? There's a list of other men who are as worthy as me - she could marry them. Why me? Yes, I am her cousin and closest relation, but why me?

And then it clicked.

Aunty Gabriella wants to have that secure feeling in her heart that I'll keep Jenna safe and that she won't be given to some random man. And anyways, like Dadddy said, my aunt doesn't have much time.

Daddy's POV

(This is the first and last POV from this man, FYI)

I sighed. I really hope he'll cooperate. He needs to understand what I'm going through. But my son's mature enough to make the right decision in his life. I looked at my wife. "Do you think he'll listen?" I asked quietly.

She glared at me. "My son has the right to marry whoever he wants to. He can marry Sarah, for instance. She's actually in his standards. Jenna is so low down in status don't you think, Zane?" she got up. "I'll be off now." I gawked at her, but still followed her to our room. I ordered Milly, who was in the hallway passing by to the bring my coat and bag up to my room. I entered our room and closed the door rather harshly.

"What do you mean 'standards'?" I glowered, grabbing Andrea's hand and facing her toward me. She yelped but I didn't let go. How dare she talk to me like that? "I told you this in the beginning. I told you this a week ago, Andrea. He found out now."

"I mean that Jenna comes from such a poor family." she scoffed. "And look at our Anthony. He lives like a prince. And Jenna? Humph. Her standards are lower than that of a dead animal. And anyway, so what if you tell him now? I'll never let my baby marry that animal." her green eyes showed pure hate towards my niece.

"He will marry her and that's final!" I yelled at her. She cowered, her forehead wrinkling in worry. "He is a mature young man and he will listen to his aunt's last wish! She has never wished for anything before! This was her first and last wish!"

"But she's not at his level of-" she started, but I interrupted by raising my hand in an attempt to slap her. I stopped myself in time. What am I doing? I lowered my hand as I looked into Andrea's eyes that held fear.

"If you interfere in my son and niece's life..." I growled. "I will divorce you."

Andrea gasped. Her lower lip quivered and I let go of her hand, pushing her away from me. She stumbled back and I sighed, looking out of the window at the starless night. I could hear her shuffling into the bathroom and as she closed the door, I heard her muffled sobs. I felt bad for what I had done, but I'm a man who keeps his words. I sat on the bed and closed my eyes, clutching the bed sheets. I sighed and got up, leaving my room, and heading for Anthony's. I knocked on the door.

No reply.

I knocked again. When I still got no reply, I slowly opened the door. I came in and studied Anthony's room. His clothes were all folded neatly on his armchair and his laptop was open on his bed. His bed was made too and he was sitting on it, deep in thought. "Son?"

"Daddy?" he said, jolting up straight. "Oh, Daddy. Yes." he patted the area next to him on his bed as a way of saying "come sit". I sat.

"So?" I said, looking down at my feet. I still had my socks on. I usually don't have them on for so long. Hurts my feet. I waited for Anthony's reply but he didn't say it right away. A few minutes later, he gave me his reply.

"I... still need some time, Daddy. I really need to think somemore about it." he smiled sympathetically. I looked up at him and nodded my head slowly.

"I-I understand. How m-m-much more time do you need exactly...?" I stammered, holding his hand.

"Some time. A couple of days at the least. Promise I'll give you my answer by the end of this week."

That's very less time. But I trust my son. "Okay.'

Anthony's POV

Rolling over to my right side, I groaned.

I had eaten too much for dinner and now my stomach was full. I felt like it was about to burst. The lights were closed. Everyone was sleeping. I patted my hand all over my side table until I found my phone. Daddy had sent me a couple of photos of Jenna. They were snapshots, actually. Whoever took her shots didn't let her know that she was being taken a picture of. I opened iMesseges and went to the chat I had with Daddy. I looked at Jenna's photos.

She had brown hair and according to Daddy, natural highlights and it was braided all the way down her back. She was sitting on an old looking dining chair and she was sipping on something in a white cup. Her icy blue eyes were bright and she looked happy. Her fair skin, dotted with freckles was beaming. The sun was setting in the background. She was quite lean, too.

She's beautiful. But all I need to know now, is her attitude. I exited the app and opened my camera. I turned on my lamp and took a picture of my self. I stared at my image. Messy black hair, tired green eyes, thin lips.

As I finally started feeling sleepy at around one o`clock-ish, I thought of what Jenna would be thinking right now. Did she know about me getting married to her? Did she like me back? We barely know each other. So she probably wouldn't. How could she fall in love with a man she barely knows? I'm her cousin too, so maybe she does want to know me? A little...?

I sighed, pulling the blankets up to my nose.

That's when I fell asleep.

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:56 am
Horisun says...

Hey Liberty! Like your new avatar! I've never read the story this is based off of, sooo yeah...
Alright, so I am already very interested in where this is going, I got a general idea on who the characters are, and what they believe, so that was really great! The reading was very smooth, and it was a really great read! This story could really go somewhere grand!
Like I said, I've never read the original story, sooo maybe there is some piece of information I am missing… And I don't know if you can do anything about it, if it's a huge part of the original story, but I just thought I'd say that I feel it's a little odd that the dad and aunt want the boy to marry her cousin. That'd be super awkward at family reunions...
"Ah, hello Anthony. I saw that you got married last month, who is the lucky girl?"
"Thank you, Uncle Joe, my lovely wife is named Jenny, Aunt Gabbies daughter."
"Wait... Isn't she your cousin?"
"..."
Idk, just thought it was a little odd, I thought at the very least, if you weren't willing to change it, maybe the characters would think it's a little odd, ya know?
Other than that, I really like this! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and keep on writing!

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:55 am
Horisun wrote a review...

"Wait... Isn't she your cousin?"
"..."

Liberty says...

Thanks for the review, Horisun! The marrying your cousin thing is actually real. People do that a lot. And I learnt it from the show, lol. :P Anyway, thanks again!

Horisun says...

:D

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:18 pm
hiraeth says...

Nostalgia, liberty. It's nice to experience Humsafar in English :) <3

Liberty says...

;)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 am
Asith wrote a review...

Hi!
I like the story, it's gripping. Developing a story using entirely character interaction is pretty cool, and I think it works well here. For a story that's so short, the characters have been brought out pretty well!

One thing you might need to work on is pacing. I felt like the whole thing happened way too fast. Anthony made up his mind way too quickly; the news was delivered way too quickly; the parents fought way too quickly. These big moments take time, so they should be spread out over more words of writing. I liked what you did at the start, setting the scene by describing what Anthony does when he arrives. Stuff like that helps add stuffing to a story, so it doesn't go by too quickly.

Also, I found myself a bit confused as to who the characters were sometimes. Don't reference them by name until they're introduced to the reader, you know? I didn't know who Gabriella or Jenna or Zane were until I read a few more sentences and figured it out. It makes it tough on the reader.

The bit at the end with Anthony's phone chat was very well done. I liked the use of descriptions, and just the writing in general. More stuff like this throughout the story would be nice, I think

Liberty says...

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato