z

Young Writers Society



[DELETED]

by Lib


[DELETED]


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 2943
Reviews: 36

Donate
Fri May 15, 2020 4:13 pm
View Likes
mememimer wrote a review...



It's so painful to witness someone you really love to not be there with you for the rest of your life. Reminds me of the people I have lost. I questioned the the same thing- ''Why does it have to happen?'' One thing that everybody needs to learn is that everything happens for a reason and that its okay to take your time to figure it out.

The question posed are aggressive and full of anguish that helps to maintain a balance in the poem. I actually like the poems that do not rhyme (low-key, lol). A very well written poem. Keep writing!

Best wishes,
I




Lib says...


Thanks for the review! :)



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 2050
Reviews: 25

Donate
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:04 pm
View Likes
RanaNoodles wrote a review...



Hi!
I’m new to YWS, so I’m sorry if this review isn’t up to scratch...?
I’m just really in awe with this poem. Usually, with poems that don’t rhyme, they get a little choppy and just don’t flow the same (at least in my experience writing them), but this one didn’t have that problem. I feel like, in this poem, it’s better without the rhyming; it makes it feel so much more raw and emotional.
Another thing I’m kind of shocked at is the fact that you keep bouncing from thoughts to what’s happening, and then back to thoughts again. And then there are the places where you mix the two, where it’s not italicized, but it’s still a thought. I’m not sure if that makes sense, even to myself, but I wanted to put it down, because it was really good.
The only thing I’m confused about is the people, and how they relate to one another. Wouldn’t the mother’s father be the grandfather? It might just be me, but I was a little confused.
Overall, I loved this poem and how it wasn’t holding back.
I hope this was a helpful review, but please let me know if there’s something else I should be doing!
-Rana Noodles




Lib says...


Thanks for the review and all the sweet compliments. I understand the father-grandfather-mother thing. It was a tad confusing when I read it after I cooled down, haha. My aunt's dad actually passed away in an accident, and he was like a grandfather to me, so... It was super depressing, because he was like the light in the darkness, but - *shrug* - I've learnt that I have to get over it, because it happens.

Thanks again and welcome to YWS! (:



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:15 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



This is quite an emotional piece Lib - and feels very vulnerable and authentic. I liked the pieces of deep introspection in it, that go a bit deeper than just a "I'm feeling sad" but really dig into those feelings. I think this type of poem is really very intense, and for me could have used some breaks in the intensity maybe with imagery, metaphor, or a memory to break up the internal dialogue chunks. As it is, the piece's strength is really the introspective exploration you've given.

I think these were some of the most powerful lines:

"Why can't it slow down to my pace?

Why does it rush forward like it doesn't care?"


I really liked the idea of addressing life itself, and personifying it by asking it to slow down. I think that's a creative way to illustrate that emotion of feeling like too many things are happening all at once.


A little bit of critique - I think it is extremely difficult to make effective poetry through primarily questions. Because questions don't build up a world most of the time but tear a world apart. I think that questions in poems are most effective generally surrounded by other supporting "building-up" text. I think the specificity of this poem could be increased. I get a sense of the emotional state of the speaker, but not much sense of really what's going on in their life, besides just bits and pieces -- a little bit more relational specificity would go a long way in helping elevate an empathetic response from the reader. In other words, for a reader to care about what they're reading, they need to have some sense of what's at stake, and what's going on.

I hope all is well, and if you're writing from personal experience, my condolences to you, and I'm hoping that writing this poem allowed you a little bit of peace through processing those emotions. Poetry can be a very powerful tool for processing and understanding emotion.

Let me know if you wanted any other specific feedback in an area I missed, thank you for posting! And keep writing poetry Liberty!

alliyah




Lib says...


I was really angry and upset when I wrote this so I missed a lot of stuff... I guess half of it turned out as questions, haha. I'll add more to it soon. :P



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 97
Reviews: 8

Donate
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:54 am
View Likes
LilyPhelen wrote a review...



I really enjoyed this. It is very emotional, and rightfully so. You capture the death of a loved one from a younger perspective very well. I also enjoyed how you came full circle at the end and changed the question into why? instead of "doesn't it?". It's as if the character has grown in such little time, but now is more insightful.

There are two things I'd like to talk about though, one being, "Tears leave my eyes, my mother's eyes, when she hears about her father." seems backwards to me in a way. I would suggest "When we hear about my father, tears leave our eyes" but that's if you don't mind conveying them crying before you say what they are crying about.
also, "but he left this world thanks to a mighty truck before she could." also seems a bit discombobulated to me. I would try "but he left before she could, thanks to a mighty truck."
Besides some punctuation however, you're doing great, and I hope to see more of your writing!




Lib says...


Thanks for the review, Lily! <3 And he wasn't my father... My grand-uncle of a sort. :)



LilyPhelen says...


oh, looking back now that makes more sense. . . must of spaced it XD



Lib says...


Lol xp




We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot