18+ Language Mature Content

The Daughter of War - Chapter 18: It Never Happened

by Ley

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Chapter 18: It Never Happened

Josephine stared at the Goddess of Witchcraft longer than she intended to. She didn’t mean for it to come off as rude; she just found a magical pull to this woman—as if she could heal Josephine in any way possible. Hecate had this radiation that beamed from her skin and projected onto everybody in the room. Jase didn’t seem phased; he ran to his mother and hugged her tight.

“How have you been, mother?” he asked as Hecate took his face in her hands and brought his forehead to hers. Oh, so Jase is a mama’s boy.

They looked to have a relationship similar to Josephine and her mother. She longed for nothing more than to see Aphrodite again. Josephine curled into her seat and sipped on her hot tea as the two Underworlders rekindled their bond.

“I’ve been good,” Hecate said, pulling her forehead from Jase’s, “hexing child rapists, purse smugglers, and children killers. The normal. It’s sad nowadays, how mortal men treat their women and kin. How have the Trials been? And who is your…friend?” Hecate’s eyes shifted to Josephine, who awkwardly choked on her tea and sat up on the sofa. How dare she lounge around in the goddesses’ home.

“This is Josephine,” Jase said, nodding at his companion, “Persephone was missing from the Trials. This is her good friend; we knew she had got taken to the Underworld. I thought I’d stop by before we head back to the Grande Hall.”

“I see,” Hecate hummed, her gaze remaining on Josephine, “a child of fire. What a rare gift that is, young one. May I?”

How did she know about Josephine’s gift? Of course, she probably saw Josephines aura. Hecate was the only Goddess that could tell who a person was just by feeling their energy. Hecate strode to Josephine, holding out her manicured iced out hand. Her fingers were hugged by countless amounts of crystals—from clear quartz to tourmaline. Josephine hesitated but placed her hand upon the Goddesses’.

Hecate closed her eyes and sat next to Josephine. She studied the Goddess, wondering what she was really up to. Maybe she was questioning Josephine’s intentions, or maybe she was just truly awed by Josephine’s gift—which most people have been by now. Josephine felt as though she was a science experiment and people wanted to play with her and test her limits just to see how far she could push. It didn’t sit right either way. Yet, here she was, allowing the Moon Goddess to feel her palms. For all she knew, she could’ve been signing her life away.

Hecate’s eyes slowly opened but she didn’t release Josephine’s hands just yet, “you are powerful. Strong. Resilient. You are going to do great things. I see an aura made of flames and ash, the true definition of a queen. A warrior queen, at that.”

Josephine yanked her hand away and shook her head, “Y-you must be mistaken.”

“Surely, I am not,” Hecate snapped, raising to her feet, “stay in denial all you want, fiery one. The truth will come out soon enough.”

What will come out soon enough?” Josephine questioned.

Jase interrupted, “M-Maybe we should leave. C’mon, Josephine.”

“No, I want to—”

“You’d be wise to follow him,” Hecate countered, walking towards the kitchen, “goodbye, my son.”

Jase just glanced back at his mother and grabbed Josephine roughly by the arm. He dragged her outside and back towards the path that directed them to an exit. Josephine didn’t like being roughed around, and she wasn’t sure what she had said exactly to upset Jase or Hecate. Maybe it was the fact that she’d been comfortably sitting in another deities home, or the idea that she discredited Hecate’s magic. But that still didn’t give Jase the ‘ok’ to grab her arm like he was her father. Josephine yanked out of his grasp and stopped walking.

“What is wrong with you? How dare you grab me like that!” She raised her voice at him, fists balled at her side. She wanted to do nothing but kill him; burn him to a crisp right here in the Underworld for his mother to find. Sure, that was a bad idea. But it made her feel better, nonetheless.

“Grow up, Josephine,” Jase snapped, turning to her with ice in his eyes, “you do not under any circumstances, question a deity. Especially when it comes to their specialty. You just fucked up any chance of my mother looking out for you.”

“And why does it even matter? Why should I care?”

“Because I care.”

Josephine paused at his words. Did he care about his mother liking Josephine? Or did he just care about her in general? She grimaced, “Care about what? Me?”

“Yes, you,” Jase responded, his voice now barely a whisper. He turned his head to look away from her, locking his jaw. Josephine could tell he was irritated, so why didn’t he just leave her? Surely, she could find her way out of this place. They were only a few meters from the exit, after all. She wasn’t sure how to respond from that point forward and chose to push past him instead.

Josephine,” Jase pleaded, following behind her, “okay, I admit, I shouldn’t have grabbed you like that. But there’s so much you don’t understand—”

“As I’ve been told, a million times by Persephone,” Josephine growled, treading up the winding steps, “apparently, I don’t know anything. I’m surprised I can even put my bra on myself.”

“Stop it. It’s not like that, and you know it. We’re just looking out for you.”

“I didn’t ask to be looked out for!”

“Josephine, stop,” Jase lightly brushed his hand against hers and she found herself still, looking into his deep gray eyes. He brushed a stay strand of hair from her temple and sighed, “you’re more than capable of handling yourself. We know that. But you don’t know how to control your magic, and that could be destructive to not only yourself but others around you. What if you’re alone and get so worked up one day that you just snap? Then what? Who will be there to stop you from destroying yourself and everything, everyone, you love?”

Josephine didn’t respond and instead studied him. Maybe he was right. She didn’t know how to control her gift, and if she gained another one like Jase suggested, then she’d be an even bigger threat to herself and others. Her magic was not for the weak, it was destructive and ruthless. Now that it wasn’t a secret anymore, she was an even bigger target, and most people would try to test her. If she was alone, without anyone to stop her, she could end up being the one who wipes out civilization on Olympus.

Jase didn’t speak again. They stared at each other, the tension building up like blocks in a child’s playset. She could feel his breath on her lips, his eyes not once retreating from hers. Jase licked his lips and leaned in.

Josephine panicked internally but couldn’t pull away. They kissed for what felt like forever; interlocking skins moving together in unison. Jase’s hand slid around her waist, and he pushed her against the rocky stairwell wall—Josephine bringing her right hand to burrow in his hair. Every thought, every concern disappeared from their minds; they were alone in that moment. Utterly, simplistically, and knowingly alone. Not once did the thought of what Persephone would say cross Josephine’s mind—she was focused on Jase and the rhythm of his soft, luring lips.

Jase pulled away after a few more seconds and they both breathed in each other’s air. He backed away and looked down at his feet, “I-I’m sorry. I’ve been wanting to do that for a minute.”

Josephine just stood there in shock and wiped her mouth. There was nothing to apologize for. It never happened in her eyes. She wished he had never kissed her, because now she had to act like they didn’t just share that intimate moment. Josephine was the worst at keeping secrets.

“Josephine,” Jase pleaded once again as she returned to her trek up the stairs, “Darling, talk to me.”

“That never happened, and don’t call me darling,” she simply snapped, reaching the top of the stairwell. She started sprinting towards the Styx.

Jase didn’t bother following. She crossed with ease, stepping over the water like a goddess would, and came to a slow walk when she no longer felt like she was in Jase’s train of view. Tears formed at the corners of her eyes. She just violated everything she stood for. She was sure that Persephone would never forgive her or trust her again. Asking Jase for help was a horrible idea.

Josephine reached the gates of Olympus. She stayed there, with a hand on the handle, contemplating whether she should go to Siren’s Cove or return to Zeus and tell him of Persephone. She decided on neither, and instead turned around and started walking east towards Medusa’s Exile. 

Thu May 09, 2024 6:20 pm
goodolnoah wrote a review...

Hello again! ~ Writing Commentary

Just a little update-I’ve been enjoying this story so far! Your descriptions have been inspiring, electric, varied, and beautiful! I think my favorite part thus far has been your characters. I always tend to get a little worried that my characters are too similar, and I'm happy to say that every single character that has appeared thus far has a trait about themselves that makes them stand out in spades from all the others! Your development of Olympus’ lore has simultaneously stayed faithful while taking it’s own creative liberties. The only thing I’ve read that’s been similar is a bit of Percy Jackson, and I don’t really love that it’s environments usually mimic average human locations. Your locations are varied as well. Overall, great job so far! These are just some of my general thoughts since I’m about halfway through your story according to what you’ve posted as of today. Always looking forward for more!

Lengthy intro out of the way, let’s get into the review!

They kissed for what felt like forever; interlocking skins moving together in unison. Jase’s hand slid around her waist, and he pushed her against the rocky stairwell wall—Josephine bringing her right hand to burrow in his hair. Every thought, every concern disappeared from their minds; they were alone in that moment. Utterly, simplistically, and knowingly alone.

What a chapter to increase both tension, and to better help the reader understand what is truly at stake here. The kissing scene between Jase and Josephine was very well written! I like how you slow down time in the sequence, all while letting the characters’ movements tell us what they are thinking in the moment.

However, I think the buildup to the scene also deserves it’s own respect. I like how you get the thoughts out of the way before moving in, while the tension builds to a peak.

Love and…Life In Hell ~ Story Commentary

“a child of fire. What a rare gift that is, young one. May I?”

Hecate’s character is cool, she comes off as a wise women who, despite being reserved, knows much about the inner workings of both gifts and magic. Even when she was a little disturbed by Josephine later on, I still imagined her voice as more whispery and light. I can only wonder what her later statements about Josephine’s potential means. I’m assuming Hecate has some sort of power akin to an oracle, perhaps she knows more about Josephine’s fate.

Her magic was not for the weak, it was destructive and ruthless. Now that it wasn’t a secret anymore, she was an even bigger target, and most people would try to test her. If she was alone, without anyone to stop her, she could end up being the one who wipes out civilization on Olympus.

I like that you really dig in that Josephine’s powers are so violent that she could wipe out civilization. I actually agree more with what Jase is saying here, though he could’ve went about it in a better way. Josephine doesn’t know a lot about her powers, and when they are so powerful, it’s reasonable for her to have proper guidance. Her erratic nature here is in character, but is wholly emotional for her. What can you do, though? She has been through a LOT these past chapters, and it makes sense that things are coming to a boiling point here. I feel like the stress is eventually going to come back to bite her in the butt. With Zeus’ expectations, Persephone’s aloof nature, and other gods who are weary of her, things are not getting better for her.

As Long As You’re Happy ~ Closer

I think Jase, again, is quite reasonable here, and despite their romance just peeking out from under the surface, he’s probably Josephine’s greatest confidant.

Ley says...

Thank you so much for the praise! I%u2019m glad you enjoy the characters, they are my babies! <3

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:38 pm
RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello (Again), My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Ah, a chapter loaded with drama -not just over potential relationships (or the potential loss of relationships), but over matters that could very well bleed into the action. Brilliant addition to the story! It felt natural for Josephine to question Hecate, and you could really get a feel for the tension, even though the "first kiss" moment between her and Jase was very well captured. Likewise, it felt natural for Josephine to be annoyed by the treatment she was getting, especially as she linked it to similar behaviors from Persephone. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

I could spy no errors or the like, nor could I recommend any changes to the content itself, so great job there!

Why The Grin Widened...

I'm not sure if this is me over-analyzing the situation, but I did really like it, so I'll mention it.

As I mentioned, you did a great job showing Josephine's frustrations, and showing how it's not just what Jase did in this moment, grabbing her arm and speaking down to her, but a culmination of many little borderline (if not straightforward) patronizing instances from him, Persephone, and presumably others. This line was good for that:

It's great because it shows that Josephine, whether the reader takes it as an overreaction or not, is at least justified in her frustrations, and it's finally addressing an issue that's been prevalent but relatively unspoken. Not to mention, it ties in well as the recent chapters show Josephine starting to grow in her confidence and as an individual, so this kind of behavior may become an obstacle.

(Also, even though it was a serious moment spoken through an angry perspective, I couldn't help laughing at that bra line lol.)

Likewise, I love the counter and justification from Jase here:

“you’re more than capable of handling yourself. We know that. But you don’t know how to control your magic, and that could be destructive to not only yourself but others around you. What if you’re alone and get so worked up one day that you just snap?

Again, even if the reader believes Jase is in the wrong or doing too much, this is a very valid point for the aforementioned behaviors. Josephine is completely new to magic, she has an incredibly rare and powerful gift, and she's the daughter of a war god. It does makes sense for people to be wary and want to guide her.

That being said, I love how you present both sides of the conflict with valid points, so it's obvious that no one is particularly "right" or "wrong" in the situation. And I would really hope they reach a middle ground after this; Josephine opening back up to accepting help and guidance, and Jase (and Persephone) being willing to give her more space to grow. Of course, I can only hope...

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, great chapter; it inflamed tensions between everybody -Josephine and Jase will be mad, Hecate is mad, Zeus will probably be mad after being ignored, Persephone may get dragged in, and I can think of a few others that may follow suit. There's so much chaos I wouldn't be surprised if Eris was somewhere laughing at them, lol. Ah, and I am very interested in seeing what Medusa's Exile will be like, and what Josephine has planned there. I can't lie, it feels like it's going to be the gasoline on this forming fire...Nicely done! :)

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.
— Kathleen Norris