Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Culture

Does the bible say that being part of the LGBT community is right?

by LadyMysterio

Does the bible say that being part of the Lgbt community is right?

A lot is going on these days, but one big thing we see in society is the controversy over the LGBT community. Especially among Christians.

Many go, it's wrong, and despise them. Then there are the ones that go, we are supposed to love everyone, so I support them. Both of these are wrong.

Some people know that when you love someone, you are willing to protect them and do what is right for them, simply because it's right. Loving the LGBT community doesn't mean that we are agreeing with them, but we are ‘loving our neighbour’. You might be thinking if someone feels they should be the opposite sex or are attracted to the same sex. Shouldn't they be allowed to do that? People should be who they want and feel they should be, right?

People should be who they want to be, but when it comes to following God. If the bible says something is wrong, it is, plain and simple.

That's where we are going for our answers, the bible.

Leviticus 18:22, (NIV) says:

Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)

But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his wife, and each woman with her husband.

The bible clearly states that having sexual relations or marrying the same sex is wrong.

What about trans people?

The bible doesn't specifically say anything about being trans, but it says this:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your bodies.

God gave us freedom over our bodies and choices, and the responsibility to take care of them.

Going back to my original question. Does the bible say that being part of the LGBT community is right? No, it's wrong. I'm not saying to go and start telling everyone how wrong the LGBT community is.  I want you to go with the knowledge of what the bible says about the LGBT community, and then act accordingly.

The bible also says to love your neighbour, meaning everyone you meet. Treat them as people, love them. If you have friends that are in that community, explain your reasons for not agreeing with their beliefs. If you are part of the LGBT community and are reading this, consider what I've said. If you are a Christian and are also LBGT, take note.

I encourage you to love the LGBT community but keep in mind what the bible has to say.

1 John 1:9 New International Version (NIV)

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

EverLight says...

Wow. I must have missed the notification for this. Sure, I'll get right to it!

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 pm
redvictory wrote a review...

I can't say I agree. The sources that you cite have all been translated, no pun intended, to Hell and back and have become polluted by the bias of each translator it passes through. The Bible was not originally written in English, so thus the messages have been polluted a bit. I recommend going to this site:
http://hoperemainsonline.com/
and reading up some. There are pages for the passages you cite and some others too. There's also a page that addresses trans people! Each page is written by theologian scholars who go back and look at the passages in their original language and translate them directly, giving linguistic and historical evidence proving that the Bible in its original form does not condemn homosexuality. Really interesting stuff! Hope you think it's interesting. :)
Sincerely, a trans, gay Christian who knows God made me who I am and that is not a sin.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:55 am
TheMulticoloredCyr wrote a review...

Hi! I would, before I write this review, tell you a bit about the perspective from which I'm writing it. I know the bible. Aside from the fact that I grew up in a Christian household, Sunday school was often my favorite part of the week, I've also read the bible several times, cover to cover (even Numbers. I still don't know how I mustered the patience for that when I was as small and impulsive as I was). The New Testimate was always my favorite, especially Revelation and Matthew, but I took a lot of care in studying the bible as a whole as well.

While I wouldn't call myself an expert on the book, I would say that I'm definitely not speaking from a place of ignorance.

You cited this verse,

Leviticus 18:22, (NIV) says:

The statement here is clear, but I don't believe that it can be called proof that God holds a stance against those in the LGBT+ community, because of a few of the other things said in that same section of the bible, and the context of these passages.

That verse was written in Leviticus, the third book of the bible and solidly part of the Old Testament. One of the main flaws with Old Testament law is how it often contradicts the teachings of Jesus in the New Testament, most directly in how the Word says the listed sins must be punished.

To quote Leviticus 18:29, "Everyone who does these detestable things - such persons must be cut off from their people."

This is said in direct relation to the verse you cited, along with most of the rest of chapter 18 of Leviticus, which is dedicated to listing the things related to the act most often reserved for spouses that a follower of the Lord should not do. Do you not think that this is in direct conflict with the teachings of Jesus himself?

As you referenced, the Lord says to love those around us as we love ourselves, (which is best said in Matthew 22, verse 39, "And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself."" which means to me that we shouldn't cut people off from a community, especially the church, because of anything like this.

I recognize that you didn't say we should do anything of the sort in your essay, but you did cite the verse that condemns a certain behavior and then, just a few verses later, states the punishment for the alleged sin. For those readers who were already familiar with the passage or who looked it up and decided to keep reading, the words of the text may outweigh your dictation that members of the LGBTQ+ community shouldn't be shunned or ostracised from any given community because of who they are.

But I've lingered on that verse long enough. You also brought up another verse:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)

Seeing this verse interpreted like this is strange to me. Growing up, it was one of my favorites, sort of. I have a very physically active mother who always encouraged my sisters and me to be more active as well and to eat healthier and just generally take good care of ourselves. On occasion, this verse would be brought up - especially when we were homeschooled - and our mother would use it to get us to go on that twenty-mile bike ride, or to eat the last couple of bites of mixed veggies on our plates.

I don't know if you mean to imply that this verse is condemning the act of being with one of the same sex the same way one might be with someone of the opposite sex or if it's supposed to mean being trans is bad, or both maybe?

Regardless, I don't believe it was meant that way at all. Rereading through the passage now, the phrase 'prostitute' is said many times. To summarize, the section is about how our bodies are one with Christ, and that one who is impure in terms of selling their body or giving it away to many people to whom they aren't married, are disrespecting Him in the process.

(Obviously, that isn't the message I was given as a child, but I was a child at the time, and a stubborn one at that, so I suspect that my parents would have used any means they could to get me to take better care of myself. My earlier explanation was simply to explain why I was surprised to hear it interpreted that way, as I didn't linger long on this section in any of my readings since I didn't find it as interesting)

The message that is there doesn't mention anything LGBTQ+ related at all, instead being more aimed toward condemning adultery and engaging in acts inappropriate to be practiced outside of marriage.

As for the connection to trans people, that would mean that making changes to your body from how it naturally is is a sin. If that's the case, then shaving your legs or armpits is a sin, or piercing your ears, or getting any kind of tattoo, or even wearing makeup are all sins. They are all, by that logic, ways of defiling your body, and therefore a way of defiling part of Christ.

To add to the dispute regarding trans people, there is a passage in Galatians (3:23-29) that reads, "There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.”

If there is no male or female, why would you condemn someone who says they are one rather than the other? Doesn't it not matter? In the end, we are all one in Jesus Christ, and our gender or sex will not, and therefore, does not matter.

In the end, things are because God wills them to be. We have no way of knowing for what purpose He makes people the way they are, but at the end of the day isn't the only way the know if you are how He wants you to be is to feel spiritually at peace with yourself and with Him. Many people cannot feel that way without identifying into the LGBTQ+ community.

If a woman and her wife are at peace with God and each is loyal to the other, what reason is there to say that their marriage is wrong?

I have spent so many hours praying about these matters and struggling with the morality of certain occurrences in my own life that I won't get into here. In the end, I know that God didn't make a mistake when he did what he did within my life, and I know that the conclusion I came to was right by him.

I hope that I've at least got you to open your mind a little.

If not, this argument wasn't really for you.

Please, if you were even a little bit swayed by what I said, pray about it. Ask God to show you rather than relying solely upon just a couple of out-of-context verses from the scriptures.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day or night.

LadyMysterio says...

Hello, thank you for reviewing this!
I always enjoy listing to other's perspectives, so thanks for sharing. I am impressed that you read Numbers as a child, it was too boring fo me then.
You've raised some pretty good questions to which I have some answers!

Ok first up.
The Leviticus verses, now one thing I want to mention. The old testament is very strict, mainly because the people it was being taught to, were just coming out of major sin. They were taught it and if they failed to listen they were punished. It's like when a young kid, a person who doesn't yet know to comprehend right or wrong, and as our instincts from birth are usually sinful, without strick correction and teaching, they would continue sinning. They are usually given a warning not to do it again, but if they do, knowing that it is wrong, they are punished.
You are right about the not being separated from the community or church part thought, one thought I had, being alone gives you time to sort out your thoughts and actions spend time with God, that might have been pat fo the reason for the punishment.

Next up you mention the Corinthians verse, I now realize that I should have added more of my thought /purpose for adding this verse in my essay.
Now what I meant by adding this verse was that God gave us our bodies, he gave us our genders, he made this way for a reason. He gave us the responsibility to take care of them, whether if it is, keeping it clean and eating healthy, or our thoughts, and actions. He made us who we are for a reason. Now the part where you said that shaving, piercing and tattooing out body is a sin,( I believe that the bible says something about those last two somewhere.)

The shaving part confused me a bit, we are shaving hair, hair that we also cut, would that mean that cutting our hair is a sin? A big part of reading the bible is praying and listing to what God says to you. As well as asking a pastor or trusted Christian friend questions. Especially for the old testimate. One more thing, the old testament was recorded and added as part of the bible, so it must have some purpose. Also, I am homeschooled as well!

Next, the verse that you mentioned: " There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.%u201D Now the meaning of this verse is we are all the same in Christ. it doesn't matter who we are or where we are from. In the biblical times, the non-jews (greeks and such) were considered unclean, and not worthy of Christ, probably because the Jew was called Gods people. iI you can recall the story where Peter has the vision on the rooftop about clean and unclean food from God right before he was told a non-Jewish general wanted to learn about Christ. It's about that verse.

Now for the longer male for female part, considering the females where lesser than men in that day and sometimes still are, it is that no matter you worth, the worth that you have for your self or that society's worth for you, we are all one with Christ.

It was a very good question though, thank you for aking it. The part about the women and her wife being at peace with God and being loyal, again a good question. I have two answers for you, one is that if they are at peace, they are not following God's word, the second is that our minds are complex and smart, so smart that we can trick out selves into thinking one thing is right. when it isn't. Take a villain, not that I am calling them villains, but a villain always thinks that he is a hero in his own mind, he has been convinced or has convinced himself in one way or another that what he is doing is right. Think about. About what is there to say there marriage is wrong, well the bible and god.
I am glad you have to spend a long while praying about this, as have I, it is quite a touchy subject.
Thank you again for sharing, I appreciate it.

God bless
Lady Mysterio

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 pm
Venerator wrote a review...

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've been friends with LGBT+ people but never brought this topic up since it was just too controversial. I'm Christian and disagree with being trans, but I would not judge another person if they are, instead be friendly and treat them as another person with individual choice over their bodies. There is not much I can say other than God had given us the control over our decisions, and just because I wouldn't, doesn't mean I'm going to judge another for doing so. I think more Christians should realize this instead of outright hating and cursing the LGBT+ group. It's not that it's disgusting/revolting, it just feels unnatural to do something like this to yourself, but I don't really mind people doing it either since they decided it, and since it's their decision, I don't have a problem with it.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:37 pm
LadyMysterio says...

hey @EverLight, thought you might enjoy this essay that I wrote. Please tell me your thoughts
I am probably going to get a lot of controversy over this...

LadyMysterio says...

oh and @Stellarjay or is it @stellarJay

"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu