Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Romantic

Love is Only the Beginning: Chapter Three (+13)

by Kay Kay

Okay this has nothing to do with my story but is it just my comp or is the home page messed up.

After that night, I never saw William Castallono or his family ever again. Also, that night had changed the perspective that everyone had on me. I had become the talk of the town. Everyone looked at me with disappointment and disgust; even my parents. They cursed at me, and called me names, saying that I had dishonored the family.

Not that I could blame them. I mean, everyone now knew the real me. Everyone knew the real Susannah Leroux. She was not the sweet little angel that everyone thought she was; no she was a wicked little demon as it were.

If it had been some one else, and not me, I would have probably been the same way towards that person as everyone was to me. I probably deserved it…no I did deserve this punishment. I had hurt many people when I only meant to hurt four men that wanted to use me in order to get the Leroux money. Was that a crime? Is wanting to be loved more than money a crime?

Not being able to decide, I rose from my bed. I crossed the room my wedding dress that hung from the giant mirror on my wall. The dress sparkled from the morning sunlight that shown through the balcony window.

“I have not done anything wrong,” I told myself aloud. “There is nothing wrong with wanting to be loved more than my family’s money!”

I wanted to run to the balcony and yell it to the town. But of course I did not follow my first impulse. Instead, I simply left my room and went to find my parents. On the way to the dining room where my parents were eating breakfast, I realized that even though I did not love Jessie Lafayette, I was going to be happy. For I would be with a man who loves me for whom I am. Even if I get trapped with him in the most awful place imaginable, it would be better then living in a nice place with a man who does not even know that I exist for being in love with money.

My parents were seated, chatting as usual. Well, they were until I entered the room. I stood in front of them angrily. “I know that the two of you are angry with me for scaring off the men I was betrothed to, and getting myself engaged to a man you do not even know, but you know what? I do not care.

“Here I was betrothed to William Castallono, a man who only wanted me for my money, and not for love. Just like the others. I was unhappy okay…I admit it I was unhappy. Daddy you knew that I was, but you did not care. So, I took the matters into my own hands. Even though I do not love Jessie, I know that I will be happy with him because he wants me for me and not your money.”

They sat there looking at something or me like I was unintelligent. My father simply stood to his feet, and stated, “All lies…now get out of my face you dirty little-”

“Fine. I will leave your sight, and you will never hear the sound of my voice ever again…but I will tell you this, James will be far worse than I. You think you know your son...ha!”

That was the last thing I ever said to my parents. They tried to talk to me for an entire day; the day before my wedding, but I would not say a word.

The wedding arrangements went by quickly. Probably because they were the same arrangements that William and I were supposed to have…I am guessing.

Jessie had sent my engagement ring, and a few gifts by horse to me the day before our wedding. The wedding was going to be held at the Leroux Manor…lucky me…not.

“Susannah, Jessie has sent you something in a package,” my mother informed me, setting a package on my bed. Without saying a word, I pulled apart the package, and looked down at the contents that were once inside. Among these were my betroth ring, a pair of teardrop earrings, a bottle of sweet smelling perfume, and a garment worn in bed.

The garment was a little alarming; seeing as the message behind it was that my fiancé could not wait to be with me… if you catch my drift. The thought had not occurred to me until now. Seeing as how Jessie was marrying me for…well, me, which would mean….

A crack of lightning interrupted my thoughts. A roll of thunder and a downpour of rain followed it. That was just how I was beginning to feel…boring.

* * *

On the wedding day, the weather was distasteful. It was still storming, as it was the night before.

I allowed my cousin, Elizabeth, who by the way was my only family member who was not angry with me, for she had done the same thing, to do my hair. My hair was pulled back, and pinned into a chignon at the crown. It had shining curls and little ringlets intertwined with the top of the veil.

She then, helped me with my dress since I would not allow my mother to enter my room. My dress was a floor-lengthened dress made of white silk. It was sleeveless, had full-length white gloves, and the teardrop earrings that I had received from Jessie.

While I was packing my things, a headache was forming just behind my eyes, and I wanted nothing more than to be alone so that I could bathe in perfume. Even though I was not exactly looking forward to my wedding, I did owe it to myself to feel beautiful.

Suddenly, Elizabeth asked, “Are you feeling okay?”

“My head aches a little,” I told her.

“Well, you better lye down then so that you will not be unfit for tonight.”

“Elizabeth…I cannot believe you just said that.”

She smiled a naughty smile, causing me to laugh uncontrollably.

“After all,” she exclaimed. “You are leaving tonight.”

I picked up one of my pillows and threw it at her playfully, saying, “At least Jessie lives in a place where no one knows of me.”

“Luckily, I did not have to go through what you are going through…I still cannot believe you confessed like that,” my cousin said lightly.

“It is not like I had a choice. It was either tell them or let everyone believe that I was mothering his child…which I am not by the way.”

“True.” She paused. “Are you going to say goodbye to your parents?”

“No…here they come,” I said bitterly.

I know this chapter is a bit boring but it gets exciting...I promise. I would have added more to this chapter to make it exciting but then it would have been too long. :D

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:03 am
Kiss In The Rain wrote a review...

Hey, yay, this is beautifully written :). I think that it is very brave of Susannah to choose Jessie over her parents' wishes. Another great chapter, and I don't know why people are complaining about it being booorrrringggg. It was a little slow paced, not boring. Awesome job! There were a few things I'm nitpicking about, but other than that, FANTASTIC JOB!

If it had been some one else, and not me, I would have probably been the same way towards that person as everyone was to me.

:arrow: "some one" should be someone

I crossed the room my wedding dress that hung from the giant mirror on my wall. The dress sparkled from the morning sunlight that shown through the balcony window.

:arrow: I was a little confused; do you mean that she crossed to the wedding dress? Or did you mean that the she noticed the dress?
:arrow: if you were speaking of crossing to the dress, you can add the two sentences together, like "I crossed the room to my wedding dress which hung from the giant mirror on my wall and sparkled from the morning sunlight that shown through the balcony window"

Among these were my betroth ring, a pair of teardrop earrings, a bottle of sweet smelling perfume, and a garment worn in bed.

:arrow: betroth should be "betrothal"
:arrow: however, since Susannah chose Jessie, she is not betrothed to him, but rather engaged to him
:arrow: nice visual :)

:arrow: you can omit the first comma
:arrow: also, you use "dress" twice in the same sentence, and it is annoyingly awkward (sorry, lol)
:arrow: and then the last sentence is kind of awkward. You have to say that Susannah was wearing the teardrop earrings, otherwise the sentence makes no sense.

:arrow: Lye should be Lie
:arrow: haha!! GREAT offcolor pun!!! :D :lol:

Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:46 am
SuzieCake wrote a review...

Okay, I'll admit that I thought this chapter was a little boring. But you did warn us. :roll:

I still can't figure out what time era this is in, like the others who posted before me. As I said in one of my previous posts, all I'm getting out of this is modern day things. With a twist of what I might think high society rich people might wear. Stereotypical, I know, but I can't help it. Blame it on the movies. :P

The rest of my review is in the attachment below. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

Later!

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:45 pm
lexy says...

the character sounds like a modern character personality wise. What era is this in???
straight to chapter 4 now xx

Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:01 am
Sam says...

I really like this! My only thing would be...what time period are you thinking? i would get rid of the 'Ok's' because that phrase came into use only very recently...at the turn of the 19th century.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain