Home » Literary works » Poetry » Literature

Homo littera: Evolution of Words

by Katteex

Note: Littera is a latin word for a letter. I also don't believe on the Theory of Evolution, it just seems quite appropriate in the poem. 

Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 am
AnoCannotUserName wrote a review...

I actually like the title as is. This is a beautifully worded poem. I love the use of language you use as you talk about words and their history. It really has us seeing the words as they travel through time. The way you began and ended the poem helps portray their power and the strong emotions that go into them. You really do a good job of explaining the beauty of words and how timeless they really are.

If you're really looking for a new title, you could think along the lines of that idea. The methods we use to express and utilize words changes but the core of words themselves doesn't actually change. In reality, you talk more about how we use words has changed rather than the actual change in language itself.

The only thing I found a bit confusing at first to read was "oxymoron / Of a deadly life." and "Because they invest stocks in our hearts." The former I was able to figure out its meaning and I really like the link but I'm still having trouble discerning what you mean by "invest stocks in our hearts." Of course, that is just my opinion.

I really loved this poem. It was very beautifully written and I can't wait to read more of your work. You did a great job! Thank you for your work and allowing us to read it. :)

Katteex says...

Thank you for the review! I didn't realize that I wasn't able to edit my note, but that was for my former title "Writing is timeless." I'm not planning to change my title anymore but thank you for the suggestion :) And for the line that confused you: stocks are shares in a company. If you invest in it, you partially own it. Just like with literature, reading something elicits empathy, resonance, sympathy, or any emotions. Those words start becoming a part of our life because they gravitate us to an idea, a concept, or a principle based on your experiences. For example, through reading we realize that everyone has their own share of good and bad experiences. That we aren't alone in the face of any predicament. Along with the people who also read the work (whether fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose), you start owning these words because of how much impact it has for you. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for explaining that line to me. Now that I understand it better, it makes so much sense and is such a beautiful line. Also, I'm really glad you're not changing the title because I loved it so much and I feel like it really fit the poem. :)

quitecontrary wrote a review...

Hi Katteex!
I am absolutely enthralled by the way you metaphorize words throughout history! The poem is really well thought-out, and the way you formatted it blew my mind. That said, I do have a couple of questions about your poem:

1. "To every typewriter that traverses/ Themselves until they reach the keyboard"
When I first read this through, I thought that "Themselves" was referring to the typewriter, and not the words, but either way it seemed confusing. I think I get it now, that you are referencing the way a typewriter "resets" itself on a new line(kind of like the "enter" button). I think the main reason it was confusing was the way you broke up the line, but if you broke up the line differently it might mess up the poem.

2. "Over the employees whose eyes/ Witness an entirety of generation"
My mind keeps wanting to put an "a" in front of "generation", but I'm sure there's a reason you chose to omit that. Overall, this metaphor was the one I struggled with the most(probably because I have little to no knowledge of how stocks work). The word "over" confused me, and the only way I can see it is that the words chose to invest stocks in our hearts INSTEAD of in the employees. I also did not know who the employees worked for: words, or some other metaphorical boss.

3. "Synthesize physics with the tourist/ spots inside the test tubes of literature"
After a long time spent mouthing these words over and over, I think I finally understand what they mean. At first I thought you meant literal "spots", as in dalmatians. Once again, I think I was most confused by where you broke the line, separating "tourist" and "spots" so that I had to force my mind to put them together. I think what you mean is synthesizing science and common themes throughout "beginner's" literature, or the early forms of a great poem/story.

And, finally, I do have a suggestion for your title: Evolution of Words
(obviously you can play around with it how you will)
My reasoning was that this poem is written in (more or less) chronological order, starting with a child drawing shapes of letters, moving to the medieval age, then the modern age and finally the future. Your title idea of "Time Machine" doesn't necessarily suggest this order, because when people think of time machines, they are generally thinking of either the past or the future. However, your poem starts at the beginning and ends at the end, so I would focus on a title that encapsulates the idea of order, and not chaos.
Thank you for reading my review!

Katteex says...

Bunch of thanks for giving such a thoughtful review !! I wouldn't say it'd be "beginner's" literature because I was talking about literature in general. Even though there's the sci fi genre, right now, there's still this evident boundary between the maths and sciences to literature and art. Most people start classifying themselves between liberal (literature, politics, art) and logical (math, science, and technology) instead of mixing those because, in actuality, they complement each other. Also, I'd be addressing your confusion with regards to my work right now, especially with the word "over." You're right, it's a misplaced preposition. I wanted to convey that we're the employees, all of us who reads, so replacing it to "inside" would be great, yea? Lastly, thank you so much for the suggestion! I love it :) I was thinking maybe, "Homo Letters: The Evolution of Words," sounds good?

That makes so much more sense! I loved the changes that you made to your poem, and I think the title sounds fantastic! When I said %u201Cbeginner%u2019s literature%u201D, I was trying to think of a different word, like the early stages of writing when you just throw ideas into a page and start mixing them together(I was getting that idea from %u201Ctest tubes%u201D). But yeah, I totally agree with you about mixing the liberal and the logical, because not just in literature but in life people devote themselves entirely to one line of work: they became experts in on field and never explore anything else, which is something that a writer tries to overcome(I believe). When you%u2019re writing, especially poetry, your audience is huge, and can range from astrophysicists all the way to daycare workers, and the writer has to bridge that gap and tap into the humanity of both. I think you did a great job melding science and literature into your poem, and thank you for taking my suggestions!

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence