The Gifts Of The Sun

by EverLight

The sun is the risen champion who battles within his soul.

War tells him he cannot survive the tempest

Sol whispers he is the deluge.

His greatest battles fought within the quiet of his spirit.

His greatest gift to shine apart from darkness.

When night fades and stars go dim his light blazes on.

That gift wasn't free.

Sun had to fight the greatest war

And defeat only himself.

But Sol faced more then that.

He faced death, and perilous rebirth.

And won the ultimate war.

That is how he ordained the mightiest gift.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:02 pm
KatjaDawn wrote a review...

Hey EverLight, Katja to review your poem "The Gifts of the Sun" As always please feel free to disregard any and comments or suggestions I make, should you find them unhelpful. With that being said lets get into the review~

Overall Thoughts

I really like your poem which narrates the story of "Sol" or, I assume, The Sun and how he fought great wars, death, and rebirth. I Like that you personified the sun and even gave him a story... Very creative indeed!

My favorite part of your poem:

I love the emphasis that his greatest gift is his light, that he is able to continue shining at all times.

Suggestions

End with a period or comma to maintain consistent punctuation. I wasn't sure if the next line was meant to be a continuation or not so I suggest using a comma if it is to indicate such. Without punctuation it looks like it was simply forgotten.

Sun had to fight the greatest war

Same here but with a comma since it is clear that it continues

The use of the word ordained here seems off to me. I feel like "achieved" or a similar word would be more fitting, but that's just my opinion~

That's all I have for suggestions!

Summary |

I really like your poem. I love the narrative style you chose and the personification of the sun here. It is really creative! Well done! :)

I hope my review was helpful,

Keep Writing,

~Katja

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:04 am
DrFeelGood says...

I am puzzled as to why this is classified as satire. This should be under spiritual I believe.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 am
silvermoon17 says...

*reply to your last reply of my reply of your reply of my review of your poem* ^^
Can you at least try to exit your stubbornness and see my reasoning? I’m not asking you to give up on the world you’ve built above your religion, because it is not God or Satan or whatever thing you believe in that matters- but the faith in itself, no. I just want to ask you to please try to not judge people with GOOD or EVIL. We say lies every day, say things people can never forgive or forget; and yet we wage wars all on our own- no one truly belongs to hell, because who is fit enough to judge a cause deemed wrong while seen just by the sole creator?? I am not threatening you- I am not your enemy- but do you get I’m half dead because people keep judging me as dark and cold and antisocial and mean and hellish and sadist and masochist and satanist and so many other things..
But I am not what matter, if I were to ask you « Are you happy? » I please do hope you say yes. Because usually people that craving in perfection, that will to be perfect and seen as perfect and go to hell- they always bring this little uncomfortable doubt. And that keeps you from being happy. And that leads to evanescence. And at the end, when we’d all die- I’ll be happier because I’ve not built heaven in death and darkness and the unknown, but heaven in this world.

EverLight says...

I never said I judged you as cold. At least I hope I didn't come across as such! I believe you are not evil. I'm sorry people believe you are. I don't think I get antisocial or even sadist vibes from you. You seem just like a normal person. If I came across from the enemy view point I am sorry. th I don't judge them at all. Christians aren't supposed to judge on that bases. Let's make peace-you believe what you believe, and I'll believe what I believe-and let's not judge each other or others for that.

EverLight says...

Any way I've been judged as unorthodox several times so I understand, in a way. Actually if I'm honest your the most interesting person I've met on here. Interesting in a good way. I'd look foreword to getting to know you better. But I think I've ruined any chance of that.

EverLight says...

I'll stop dumping my believes on you, and I won't judge people on a good or evil bases for you. I'm sorry if I came of as judgmental. I'm not usually like that.

silvermoon17 says...

I feel like I%u2019ve known you for years.. and no, you%u2019ve not ruined any chance of getting to know me better :) it seem opposites..
So.. we begin from scrap..? :)

EverLight says...

Yes I think we should start from scrap. I feel like I've known you for years as well. It is weird. (Opposites attract do they not?)

silvermoon17 wrote a review...

Okay so first of all, let me make myself clear- I despise the sun. Not it’s warmth, or the fact it’s beautiful- but because of the thoughts linked to it. I hate that we think *oh, the sun is greatest of all- without it, we would be invaded in darkness* I HaTe that. If you do believe in that.. you would like the moon. Not the sun. What does the sun do? Oh. It helps defeat darkness. Well without it.. where would be the stars? Where would our imagination go when we fall asleep? And have you even watched the night? Is it really just *ooh scary. There’s so much terrifying things in the night* because no. I think the night is fascinating. I love the moon and I think the most beautiful colors are that of the Dawn and dusk. Now that that is settled, let’s move on to the review ^^
The beginning is basically what I said.. but apart from that, I think you do everything pretty well. There’s imagery, not much description, but we get the point; there’s a lot of repetition, in the way you insist on a certain fact- (which might be awesome if I didn’t despise so badly what you’ve praised)- and that is pretty good. I think there’s a mistake, in *But Sol faced more then that* I believe the correct spelling is *than*; and who exactly is Sol. It’s nit really established anywhere, and I have huge expectations into thinking it’s a way of saying *Sun*, but if it’s moon. Or stars. Then half of the ranting I made in first place- is meaningless. Anyways.
You say Sol (I’ll talk about him as if he’s the sun) won the ultimate war. That might be a reference to good and evil.. and oh god. Here’s why I dislike manichean religions- they just are about *oh I’m the purest soul* or *oh you’ll go to heaven/hell* but why..? Do you truly believe someone is utterly perfect as the sun? Or a sinner as the night? Because it’s just stupid.. :( I’m not even disappointed or angry.. just sad.. I think that sort of religion is stupid, because it makes no sense. Being born is a sin, living is a sin, dying is a sin- the very ideology of living life and caring for yourself is a sin- so say, how do you get to heaven..? And who is fit enough to judge things as complex as the human race...? Because, no one is. People are both night and sun, and you asked what my username, silvermoon stands for - it represents what we are. A dark source of light, at the time night and sun- the moon.

EverLight says...

You think just like me! I love the night and the moon, and I agree-with out shadows the stars wouldn't shine and dawn and dusk truly is the most beautiful thing on earth. And I don't think that anyone is perfect, or imperfect. I believe were all human. We are both perfect and imperfect, just as we are both light or dark. You ask a deep question-who is fit enough to judge the human race? Our creator, God. There is only way to get to heaven is to ask forgiveness for our ''sins.'' It's not that we deserve to go to heaven, but that our God loves us enough to forgive us and give us a chance to. Some people choose forgiveness. Some people think as you-and don't buy it. That night, or sun you speak of stems from our free will. We can choose to be a night or a sun. We can choose to either believe him or not. It's the same thing with Christ-either we choose his forgiveness or we don't. Christianity is supposed to be about forgiveness for the dark side of ourselves. If some Christian has hurt you or been mean to you-please allow me to apologize for them. They are not behaving the way Christians are supposed to. Is there anything I could do to make up for what they did?
Finally there is no reference to God in this piece. The line and he faced the ultimate battle, has nothing to do with religion. It was an actual live battle in which he faced himself.

EverLight says...

PS
You seem wise for someone your age. So Keep it up! I believe in you!

silvermoon17 says...

You seem like a hardcore believer in your religion.. and although I appreciate your PS, I think it%u2019s a shame you totally missed my point. I say people are neither light or darkness- but that%u2019s not the only reason why I don%u2019t believe in God and his perfect heaven and awful hell- but because you say we must take his forgiveness. Why? It%u2019s the sins, the darkness, the night- which makes us who we are. If someone wants to be forgiven for being who he is- as he wants- but you see, I love myself as who I am, and I don%u2019t need no God to tell me what to do. Maybe if he did exist I%u2019d go to hell.. but how do you feel about yourself? You%u2019d probably say: *I made one or two things seen wrong by others- but if they knew me better they%u2019ll understand* how can a God understand that? How can a God decide you belong to heaven when you are so complex. No man or god can understand someone. The only ally you%u2019ll have is yourself- and only you will backup your reasoning. So stick with that, because there%u2019s no worst sin than misjudgment-

EverLight says...

I think it's a %u3020s shame that you missed what I was trying to say, and that you feel like I am a fool/ helpless religious freak. Secant the darkness doesn't make us who we are. If we were all darkness then there would be no love, or forgiveness. How can a God understand us? Because he created you, your heart, your mind, your soul. And he is all knowing. And because he knows us better then we know ourselves. That is also how he is able to decide who goes to heaven. I am confident I am going to heaven because I have found forgiveness for the things that I did wrong. And forgiveness opens the way to heaven. God says all have sinned. And if we repent and ask forgiveness we can go to heaven. And God doesn't cloud my judgment, and I am not my only ally. I have Jesus Christ. He doesn't tell you what to do, and what not to do. He is telling you what you should do. And he is giving you a chance to. He isn't making you do anything. He's letting you decide. Because he loves you to much to take away your freedom of choice. All he's asking you to do is give up what you were never meant to be.

“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind