z

Young Writers Society


12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 6.5

by KateHardy


After their time was up, Daisy hauled herself to her feet. Aria simply gestured towards the doors, which opened instantly. Neither of them said a word as they made their way inside and through the now almost pitch black hallways.

It was a few minutes’ walk to reach the Hub. The Hub itself was also dark at that time which meant that they'd switched the power off to more places than Daisy had previously thought. It seemed as if the aliens were maybe a bit paranoid than they'd been before, she'd never seen the lights in this are switched off before. Either that, or there had been a power failure, but in that case an emergency lockdown should've been triggered and that had certainly not happened.

"Why have they cut the power to The Hub of all places?," asked Harry, voicing Daisy's thoughts.

"I have no idea but I do know that should get back to quarters," said Aria," No time for any more chit chat today. And make sure to stay as close to each other as possible. This is not a great time to be getting lost."

"Yes Mom," chorused Daisy and Harry. Predictably, Aria just sighed and continued to walk deeper into the gloom.

In the darkness, the hallways seemed to go on forever. There was no way to tell where the walls were and they could barely figure out where one hallway ended and another began. It was only the practice of having walked the same path for a week or so that kept them to not get lost. As it was, the three of them still clung to each other's shoulders as they walked to make sure they did not lose each other.

Daisy was feeling particularly uneasy. Usually she was used to the silence of walking along the corridors having accepted it as a necessary part of surviving in the camp but in the darkness the silence was a whole other entity. It made chills creep down her spine and the hairs along her arm stood up. 

Fifteen minutes, the time it usually took for them to get to their quarters from the door, came and went in the blink of an eye as they creeped along the hallways at a snail's pace due to the dark. Daisy couldn't help but wonder if they had somehow also lengthened the hallways or made their way back longer. She had to mentally slap herself. It wouldn’t do to get paranoid now of all times.

The influx of increasingly ridiculous ideas stopped as they finally arrived at the dimly lit hall. The lights streaming in from the quarters lit up the passages leading off from the hall and gave off just enough light that Daisy's unease slowly began to take a backseat.

"So... are we breaking the news tonight itself?" asked Daisy, tentatively.

"It is already very late, can't we just let people have a night where they still have some hope," said Harry.

"False hopes can be very dangerous," said Aria, quietly.

"It’s only a few hours. Would you like to hear something like that right before you were about to rest after a busy day of hard work?" said Harry.

"Yeah," said Daisy, quickly jumping in. She could see Harry's point and more importantly she could also sense that having to talk about this to anyone wasn't going to be very good for Harry's health. He was feeling sad enough as it is.

"I can already see that I am not winning this argument," said Aria, holding her hands up," I surrender. Let's all go catch some sleep now. We're going to need it with our current situation but we will tell everyone as soon as we can tomorrow." 

"She has finally understood that she can never win," said Harry, hopefully smiling as he usually did in such situations. The light wasn't enough for Daisy to make out his face. Daisy smiled back, hoping he could see.

"Good Night and Sweet Dreams Daisy!" said Harry.

Daisy gave them both hugs and said her own good night before the three of them parted ways, Harry and Aria headed for their quarters, Daisy headed to hers’.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
659 Reviews


Points: 82352
Reviews: 659

Donate
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:57 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks wrote a review...



Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

This was an intetesting chapter. I wonder what it means for the humans - the sudden current situation. It is obvious that the aliens have done this intentionally, I just can't find the purpose behind it. Are they trying to intimidate them, warn them or perhaps keep them away from something or somewhere? There are so many things that can be possible. I cannot guess what it is they are trying to achieve with this.

I really liked the way you described the darkness and their walk back to the quarters. You don't really use much description in your writing, but the ones in this chapter were very well placed. It did give me the feeling that Daisy is a little more afraid of the dark than the others, because I didn't see them reacting this way. But I think it is good, because it gave us a really wide look inside her thoughts and how she views this whole situation. It also set a really dark and gloomy background which I think is very fitting for the confusion raised by this new development in their lives. It feels like the prelude to something worse, and I genuinely hope that nothing extreme happens to them.

she'd never seen the lights in this are switched off beforre.

I think you meant 'area' here instead of 'are'.

That's all!

See you in the next chapter!




KateHardy says...


Thank youu for the review!!



User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:32 pm
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hey!! Forever here with a review!!

Okay, so the second phase as you said ends here and the third phase is gonna be quite interesting. I am quite sure about that. Now back to this phase, it was a complete one and the plot didn't move forward a lot, have gotta admit that but well, there was always a feeling that something big has happened or is gonna happen. I wonder if this Spaceship issue will be raised any further because it does seem to be a big thing in the plot. It gives a war vibe to me, I don't know why. Perhaps the aliens are engaged in war with someone...

The darkness is seriously a factor. It's a matter of concern why they have switched off the lights of the hub of all the places. On the other hand, I do think it can indicate the condition of Aliens has gone downhill in the past three years. I assume that they are not allowed to go out in the dark and as they had their last night shift three years ago, I do think that Daisy is seeing the hub in night time after three years and a lot of changes can happen in that period for sure.

I just wonder a bit about Daisy's uncomfortable feeling. Does she fear darkness by any means? Maybe she has some sort of fears in the darkness and that doesn't really show itself very clearly but mild symptoms. Or else, there can be a reason too that is associated with darkness. The darkness in the last chapter was actually a pleasant darkness, the darkness of nature, I mean. That was good to see but here, it has taken a turn into sort of horror movie thing.

I hope that nothing worse is gonna happen to them and the decision comes out to be a good one. Now if the people plan today night and then in the morning, if they hear about it, it will not be a good thing, seriously. I am quite eager to see Mrs. Kane's reaction though.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever




KateHardy says...


Thank youuu for the review!!

Hmm yeah Daisy has a bit of a fear of the dark, its not a full phobia, but she's uncomfortable in the dark :D

Oooh, yup, I do hope the third phase is interesting, its going to get start making this plot head towards an ending :D



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:27 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



 Hi Harry,

Mailice back with a short review! :D

This was now fast approaching Chapter 6's end. I am curious to see what will happen in chapter 7.

This was a very interesting ending to the chapter and I must confess that I felt rather uncomfortable reading it here because after the last part you turned this sweet freedom of darkness into an unknown darkness. Somehow that made me very uncomfortable and I don't know how to feel about it.

It was a great ending to the chapter. I liked how the discussion opened up more and Harry sided with Daisy again. Aria can stand there on her own at times, which makes me feel bad for her. But I also think that will go away once I see something more from her point of view again. I mean, she could have gone to sleep alone in the last part.

I have to say, while reading it, I rarely noticed anything where I could say I didn't like it. Especially sometimes the spelling mistakes or whatever have become less, and somehow you manage to make a good mix between the dialogues and the descriptions, so that the parts themselves don't seem so monotonous anymore.

Some other points I noticed while reading:

It seemed as if the aliens were maybe a bit paranoid than they'd been before, she'd never seen the lights in this are switched off before. Either that, or there had been a power failure, but in that case an emergency lockdown should've been triggered and that had certainly not happened.

With this paragraph here you somehow manage to build up a subconscious fear in me, or more a worry that there is something else to come that is not so pleasant.

The Hub of all places?," asked Harry,

A comma too much here.

"I have no idea but I do know that should get back to quarters,”

Is here an “us” missing between “should” and “get”?

"It is already very late, can't we just let people have a night where they still have some hope," said Harry.

You can add a question mark here instead of a comma.

Have fun writing!

Mailice




KateHardy says...


Thank youu for the review!! :D



KateHardy says...


Thank youu for the review!! :D




There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley