12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 18.1

by KateHardy

Let’s Get Through That Damn Door Already

[Aria]

They made their way past the Hub and into the corridor that would lead them towards the door. Everyone was silent now, adding to the already eerie silence of the Hub now that the alarms had stopped along with the beeping of the computer screens in the area. You could have heard a pin drop.

Even though every logical part of Aria’s brain warned her that the guards were probably lying in wait for them at the exit, she knew it was the only option. The place they were in was huge but it wasn’t so massive that they could hide out for more than a few hours. The did after all have more than enough guards to cover every hallway. There was a very good set of reasons why no one had successfully escaped after all; even the few that had actually made it out of the inner wall back in '06.

They found themselves in the corridor that they’d first run into security. The doors that led to their ticket out of there were visible, right at the edge; the ones that had somehow been locked. She took a long moment to stare at them and hoped that the team led by Mr. Summers had done something about it, if they hadn't been caught that is.

That thought sent a chill down her spine. What if the alarms were down because they’d been caught and the aliens were now laughing and tracking their progress waiting for them to walk into a trap. It would make perfect sense, leave the doors to the outside unlocked and then lock them in once they made their way inside. The small patch of grass strewn with spaceship debris was a perfect containment unit. Even if they blasted their way out using their newly acquired weapons, and she was sure they knew about those by know, there would probably be a patrol waiting for them somewhere in the forest.

She let out a sigh, working hard to keep her face from showing how scared she currently was. As much as everything could be a trap, should be a trap, she knew that they had no other way out. It was time to take a page out of her overly optimistic brother’s book and hope for the best. There was literally no other way they would get out through this.

She quickly gestured to the others, pointing towards their target at the end of the hallway, nodded and made a running motion with her hands. Everyone nodded. They all knew what had to be done. She flashed them all a quick smile. Harry and Daisy, as always smiled back. She could always count on those two idiots to be smiling. Ryan simply had a determined expression on his face. He gave a small nod. Kate looked terrified and was doing a pretty poor job of covering that up. She gave the girl an extra bright smile and Kate managed a watery one in return. That was going to be good enough for the moment.

She crouched down, getting ready to spring up and run towards the door. She readied her rifle and looked back to make sure that everyone had emulated her. If they were going to go down today, it might as well be done with a fight. There was no point in giving up.

She looked at them one last time.

“Let’s go,” she whispered and the five of them launched forward like a set of Olympic athletes on the hundred meter sprint just as an alarm started blaring in the background.

This alarm was different however; the lights around them did not change color or start flashing. It also didn’t seem to be in the immediate vicinity, rather it sounded like it was quite far away.

Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:15 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

It is interesting reading about the escape from the three different points of view, it helps us see who is reacting in what way. While, Harry and Daisy's narratives were more focused on the adrenaline, the fear and the risks, Aria's narrative is more logical. Her head keeps taking notes, and she is always thinking about every other outcome of the situation that they might have to go through. It is always great to see her stepping into the role of the leader, and so far, she has done a really great job at it. She truly is her mother's daughter in that respect.

Now, that feeling of foreshadow continues to grow in this part. We have been waiting for so long for something to go wrong, that now I am kind of expecting the aliens to jump on them from mid air. Its a great method to build the anticipation though. And as we are close to the ending, we might as well go out with a bang.

The way you ended this part made me a little uncertain about what to expect. I am not very sure if the alarm going off in the distance is positive thing or not. It gave me the impression that it was something else that had gotten the alien's attention, perhaps this is an attempt of Mr. Summer's team at distraction. Whatever it is I hope they do not get caught in the middle. I am not sure the aliens would be as forgivable to the adults as they might have been to the teens.

Overall, this was a solid continuation of the story and I can actually see it heading towards its end.

Keep writing and have a great day!

Until next time!

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:46 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Okay, so we have frequent tone changes throughout all these chapters. It just shows the mood fluctuations they are having while undertaking all the risks. I was expecting a chapter from Aria's POV and here we have it.

Though I didn't see it in the first place, Aria did a great job covering her emotions. This part actually revealed how desperate she was feeling at the moment. The eerie silence was definitely a lot more eerie than the word. Like it did cause that uncomfortable feeling that it should constantly giving the reader a suspense that something is going to happen and it did happen.

Okay I didn't expect them to exit through the main gate. To me it seemed like they would find anothee gate but seems like I was daydreaming. So, they are going to escape through the main gate and that would be playing with death. The revelation about '06 was indeed something. I do wonder how they made it past the inner wall. Through the main gate? If so, they went a lobg distance and also I am very curious to know how they got killed.

I don't know why but I do feel that um... The cctv camera has something to do with the aliens knowing about the escape. Perhaps the humanity didn't succeed to really pass the wrong recording. That can be a thing. I am very confused about what the aliens are planning to do. They are indeed upto something, that is clear. However, we have no idea about what that is going to be. Aliens, let them escape! If the aliens are planning to do something evil with them, they have to get prepared.

Harry and Daisy, I guess are actually being over optimist and the real optimists in their group. Okay, now the alarm, seems like the alarm was somewhere from outside the camp and well, the aliens! If the news has been transferred outside, they are in terrible trouble. I am becoming evem more pessimistic. They will make it through. Mr. Summer's team, perhaps will be helping them. We constantly get their mention throughout, so something is up. No deaths, please. I have been seeing deaths cominh since eternity. Like a battle is set and it can't be that only one side will die.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:05 am

Hi Harry,

Mailice here with a short review for a new chapter! :D

This part was a strange one. A strangely good part. I liked that introversion with which you reflected Aria, not only revealing new information but allowing it to be interpreted, like an open book.

I see this part more as a sort of "recap" where Aria reflects again on what has already happened and think you did that in a very neat way. I like how you move from section to section but always have the transitions and how there is a kind of new hope from an initial despair and sadness, especially moment where she imagines that she should think a bit like her brother.

I like that we got such a part, and don't think we've seen it like that before. In any case, I like the focus here on this storytelling and how Aria is now showing herself in this way.

It also makes me think about how she moved to the forefront like that in chapter 16 (or was it chapter 15). I think in situations where fear would be expected to dominate, people can see the farthest and you could see that very well there. Now with this self-reflection, I get the feeling that Aria, now that they're safe, is falling back into that old stage and only now realising what's been going on.

In any case, it turned out to be a very great part! :D

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour