12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 13.3

by KateHardy

The next morning, Aria woke to Harry lightly tapping her shoulder. She rolled around, grumbling to herself as she was pulled out of a dream.

Giving up the battle to pretend that she was still asleep, Aria rolled out of the bed and shooed him out of the room. Five minutes later, they were headed for the hall and Aria could see Harry furiously debating with himself. He was almost certainly attempting to decide on the time to start pestering her about the plan.

"So are you going to tell me anything now or are you going to wait till Daisy is present?" asked Harry, after several deep breaths.

"First of all, am I so scary that you have to rehearse a speech and then motivate yourself to speak up?" asked Aria.

"No, I totally did none of those things," said Harry, frowning at her. She raised an eyebrow.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I was practicing how I am going to Daisy about you-know-what," he said, shrugging as if that should have been obvious.

Aria's eyes widened. Is he going to finally admit it?

"Wipe that look off your face, it's not what you think. I was referring to that secret thing that I mentioned yesterday night."

"What gave you the impression that I was thinking about anything else?" said Aria," I didn't utter a word."

"Look who's lying now," said Harry, turning the faintest bit red," please, I've known you since the day I was born. You think you can fool me?"

Aria snorted. "Sure, sure, let's hurry up already." Harry nodded, smile firmly in place as he quickened his pace to match hers.

They soon found themselves at the Hall, where Daisy was already waiting for them.

"Good Morning Aria, Good Morning Harry," said Daisy almost skipping as she ran towards them," today is going to be another early start huh?"

"Looks like it," said Aria," shall we get going then?"

"Sure," said Daisy and began to walk towards the door but Harry lightly tapped her on the shoulder.

Pretending like she hadn't noticed anything, Aria continued towards the door, slowing down so that they could easily catch up and pretend like they had been following all along.

She strained her ears to see if she could catch anything. Let's see if we can get an exclusive look at this chatter. Or on second thought maybe it's something important to Daisy. That would be very rude. No. I can't eavesdrop on them. That would make me a horrible sister. I can wait. She started to hum a low tune to ensure that there was no way that she was going to accidentally overhear it.

Slowly she found herself right at the door leading off to The Hub. There was no sign of the other two being close. Wow that is a long conversation. Maybe Harry is still psyching himself up to ask about it? She stifled a laugh and settled down to wait.

Ten seconds later, she finally heard a "Hey Aria!" and took a couple of steps, before stopping and turning around.

"Yes Daisy, what is it?" she said, doing her best to look like she had no idea what was about to be said.

"Did this idiot tell you that there was this big secret?" she asked.

Aria glanced at Harry who nodded vigorously from behind Daisy.

"Umm...he might have said something along those lines. Why?" asked Aria.

"It wasn't anything like that you know. It was just a little problem I had. I mean there's no reason to hide it is what I'm getting at," she said.

"Okay then, why don't you tell me exactly what it is yourself?" asked Aria, raising her eyebrows.

"Oh I will," said Daisy.

"Sorry again Daisy," said Harry.

"No, Harry, you have nothing to apologize for. That was very sweet of you to keep it all quiet in case I might not want to share it. You did nothing wrong I promise so get that through that thick skull of yours before I beat it in," said Daisy, looking both annoyed and happy at the same time.

"Should I be scared at this point?" he asked, raising his hands.

"You probably should," said Aria, smirking at them.

"Not helping Aria," said Daisy," okay fine let me just get this whole thing out of the way first."

"Yes, let's get that whole thing over with, then I can tell you guys that plan once we reach the ship."

"Once we reach the ship?" asked Harry.

"Yes, it's the safest place I can think of at the moment," said Aria," now you two spill."

"Oh I was just worried about what might happen to our parents after we, you know, do," said Daisy waving her hands in a shooing motion.

"Ohh...I think they should be..." began Aria.

"Yeah, Harry already pointed out most of the logical conclusions," said Daisy," I'm... sort of...okay with it now. All we can do is hope and do our part well."

"True, let's get to that ship then," said Aria with a smile. The three of them set off for The Hub.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:43 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

Honestly, I had not predicted that the disagreement of the previous night would make a reappearance in this chapter. Maybe its because in the longer run, it really does not matter and is not of that much significance that all of them seem to be giving to it. Still, it is interesting how such a small misunderstanding diverts us from the main plot of the story for a while and making it more about the characters than the escape. I think its important to include all these other small things once in a while to give the readers a break, to let them take in all that is happening and maybe just spend some time with the characters to get a deeper understanding on them.

Aria seemed to be itching to know about the 'secret'. I guess its because she and Harry are really close and Harry especially is not the kind of person who can keep things in his stomach for long. Whatever it is, it comes out eventually and so I guess they have never had any secrets between them. It kind of explains 0why she is so curios now. In her defense, Harry is a little over dramatic here, and making a big deal out of a seemingly small thing. But then again, this is Harry.

I liked the fact that even though Aria had the choice, she did not eavesdrop in the conversation between Harry and Daisy. She is a morally good person and I liked that in the end, she gave them both their deserved privacy. Daisy was really the voice of reason and I could practically imagine her rolling her eyes at Harry in the conversation we did not get to hear. I also liked the fact that she did not drag it out and simply told Aria her worries. That was how easily it could have been solved - two dialogues.

But this whole thing once again reminded me of the fact that they are just teenagers and the argument somehow made it more realistic for me. You can see a misunderstanding like this taking place in real life; maybe it would not be as dragged out, but still it is relatable and realistic.

Now, I think that is the end of this chapter. It was definitely a short one, but the parts were much longer and had more content. I have a feeling that in the next chapter we are once again going back to the main mission and the plans, so this one was quite a welcome change from the usual pattern.

That's all!

Keep writing and have a great day!

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

This was a bit of a last little break for the readers!! The next one is a bit of a warm up but then its going to get exciting and stay that way till the end ;)

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:45 pm

Hi Harry,

Mailice back with another short review! :D

Let's close this chapter as well. In general, I like how this chapter differs from the previous one, where this generality of the characters was put in the background in order to advance the plot by means of the plan, and here the exact opposite happened, where we had the characters more in the centre again. I like this balance and change between the individual chapters because it gives a good flow when reading and generally also helps to read deeper into the world and to check on the characters in between.

This chapter was interesting in the sense that we saw this symbiosis between Harry wading between two women - his sister and Daisy. (Now that sounds far more psychological than it's meant to be. :D) But that's what I like; this path he's on, it's a toggle between this back and forth. You manage to render that well. Harry is somehow trying to make an elephant out of every fly, creating a kind of swinging effect. Furthermore, you keep us in check here with the second plan and I think that the conclusion is well done.

By having Daisy and Aria in the perspective here, I found it a little bit not so good, because it somewhat recognised that both of them have the same core thoughts at least here in view, be it not in a particular situation. It helped me to see that although Aria and Daisy are two different people with different personalities, their thought processes were similar. I think you should at least try to change the tone a bit to keep that effect throughout the chapter.

I also like how this chapter was much longer in the individual parts, and that created this greater sense of "being there". I think something like that can happen more often. :D

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

xD, some of the conversations just wouldn't work split into smaller parts so despite this being 3k words like most of the others it ended up in three parts :D

Hmm, perhaps I'll consider slightly bigger parts eventually. :D I do write these a chapter at a time so trying to find suitable points to break up the parts is always very difficult xD

Thanks again!!

Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey!! Forever here with a tiny review!!

Wow. That was wholly strange. I didn't at all expect something like this. Okay, first of all with Harry. I thought he was angry for some other reason but seems like he was solely angry for the secret. Harry is back to his over-dramatic self. Like he was literally practising how to ask his friend a simple question.

Ah, I feel pity for Aria. She got quite excited when Harry told 'you-know-what' thinking about her own theory but Harry managed to pour water on her hopes. That was pretty fun to read. Aria was a very good sister in this part and planned not to eavesdrop. So, in reality she, perhaps is not most interested in secrets as she told in the last part. She just likes to tease the other two. In reality, she is quite a good person. But seeing Harry's reactions, anyone would think that something was actually wrong and a very important discussion was going on.

The only person who seemed to be perfectly normal was Daisy. She seemed quite aligned to her character. I liked how she kind of teased Harry and also couldn't decide if she should be happy or sad. If I am not wrong, she had a flooding of emotions when Harry told and apologised to her about the secret. Like that was very very unexpected. Well, maybe it wasn't because she knows Harry better than we do at this point.

In this part, we had three characters with completely different things going on inside their heads. Let's see what the plan is.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

Yeah Harry was basically creating a bit of a fuss out of something that wasn't that important, it just the day getting to him a little bit and a bit of frustration with Aria not telling them the plan. There are a few reasons I wanted this scene here, but its mostly to distract a bit from the main escape plan for a while just to give a small break for the readers. :D

Thanks again!!

Stupidity's the deliberate cultivation of ignorance.
— William Gaddis