12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 12.3

by KateHardy

"And how exactly did you come to the conclusion that I am worried Mr. Kane?"

"Magic," he replied, winking.

"Really?" asked Daisy, a slight frown on her face as she tapped her chin thoughtfully. "And how exactly does this ability work?"

"Well you see, your eyebrows…" began Harry, but stopped as Daisy raised her hands in surrender.

"Come on, you were actually going to explain," she said, laughing softly. 

"Of course," said Harry. The look on his face was entirely too innocent to be allowed.

"Well I'm not quite in the mood to listen that at the moment," she said, letting out a sigh and leaning back.

"They'll be okay you know," he said, giving her hand another squeeze.

"Who?" asked Daisy. Can this boy read my mind?

"Uhh our parents duh. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what you're so worried about," he said.

"Not a genius but a telepath," said Daisy.

"Well I promise I didn't read your mind, just your face," he said, winking.

"I'll take your word for it," said Daisy.

"You know I'd never lie to you," replied Harry.

"True. Anyway you’re not wrong," said Daisy, her smile dropping again, " that is what I was thinking about." The thoughts she'd been having earlier returned to plague her.

"Like I said, they'll be fine Daisy. Sure the aliens will be suspicious for some time but when they realize that there is no way for them to link the escape to our parents they will be forced to let them go. I don't think the aliens will sink low enough to actually go with anything harsher than that or everyone else will be rebelling against them citing unfair punishment and the last thing the aliens want is for everyone to be actively against them. Its one thing for five kids to escape, its an entirely different matter if they had a mass riot on their hands."

"If only they knew what was going on right under their noses at the moment," wondered Daisy, a small smile returning to her face," do you really think that the aliens will think that far ahead?"

"Definitely, if the history that we learnt is anything to go by, they did not get Earth to surrender by just brashly attacking. They are planners more than fighters in a lot of places. Sure they get violent on people attempting escape, but if the stories are true, Earth only fell because they outplanned us, not necessarily cause they outgunned us."

"Well I hope you're right...not that I'm going to stop worrying about it until the day that we come back," said Daisy.

"Well yeah, I'd be lying if I said I'm not going to think about it at all, but we have to do this. Our parents are trusting us and are willing to let us go, so we have to trust them to be strong and survive until we come back."

Daisy nodded. "You are very good at speeches. Have I ever told you that?"

"Once or twice," said Harry. They were both smiling once again.

"Maybe we should pay attention to what's happening on stage now," suggested Daisy.

"Right. We have to listen to that too."

"Yup. We're the ones that are going to have to actually execute these strategies."

Daisy turned back towards the stage.

"So the food can be acquired that way. Its a bit more risky, but like I said earlier, it doesn't have the inconvenience of sneaking out while lugging things and it looks like something five people could easily pull off," Mrs. Kane was saying.

"Did we...?" began Harry, turning.

"...just miss the entirety of the second plan?" finished Daisy. Oh dear. Aria is never going to let this one go is she?

"The answer to that question would be yes," came Aria's voice as predicted.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi Harry,

Mailice back with another short review! :D

This was a good "intermezzo" part for the story so far, because you already hinted a bit in the last part how the story is now developing. I was a bit confused how the part developed anyway, but it stands out in this chapter because of that. I don't really have much to say here, except that I like how the dynamics of the conversation (apart from the few "to say" that are there too much) :D made the story flow very smoothly. I like at this point how it always develops, making it feel a bit like a play.

I was a bit surprised here about Daisy not giving more thought to the possible mind reading than just a quick comment. I think for her character and the doubts she sometimes raises, I actually think it would be more successful if she got to see a bit more of it there - similar to the previous part. At least I have the impression that that would suit her very well.

Again, you manage to make a good transition to the next part, and I have to say that I really liked the way you built it up in this chapter in general, and yet, when you read it in its entirety, how it developed.

One point I noticed while reading:

I was shocked while reading this, because I thought, Harry and Arias father had appeared. :D It´s strange to hear Harry called Mr. Kane because of his sometimes euphoric but childish character.

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

xD....yes...I didn't even notice but it does sound a bit strange :D

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:05 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

I was a little confused with the the way this part started. Maybe this is just me, but the sudden inclusion of the "Mr. Kane" made me certain that I had missed something and I actually went back to the previous part, just to be sure. I think this is mostly because how suddenly you cut off your parts sometimes; it makes it a little difficult to follow the next one as we usually have to pick up from the middle of a conversation like in this one.

Anyways, I really liked this one. I was a little annoyed that we did not get to hear the second plan but I am sure Aria will catch us up on it. I really liked the way they were portrayed simply as teenagers here and not the future 'maybe' saviors of the planet. Harry has always been quite talented in picking up on others emotional needs, and he seems extra attentive towards Daisy for obvious reasons. I liked how playful the entire interaction was. Daisy was genuinely worried and panicking before this, but once she started talking with Harry, she lost the edge of her panic and went along with his playfulness. The three of them are great at uplifting each other which is what makes me sure that they will make a brilliant team, that is, if they get along with the other two members as well.

Daisy's concerns are understandable and even though, Harry's reasoning seems logical enough, I was still wondering what the aliens would do to get back at the humans for the rescue attempt. From what they discussed, it seems to me that the aliens use their brains rather than their arms. It kind of went against what you portrayed in their recent run in with the guards - there we got the idea that the aliens are not very sharp in their senses as they were able to run away from them, but the plasma shooting gun that they carry mean instant death if they are pointed at you.

If you want to take over an entire species, then I guess you will have to plan well enough. And according to Harry that is where the humans faltered the previous time. However, this time they will be more prepared, more unified and more determined to win. So hopefully all will go well.

That said, I am quite looking forward to the hell Aria is going to give the pair of them for missing the entire second plan. It is going to be fun to read her reaction and I can't wait for all the leg-pulling that is going to follow.

That's all!

Keep writing and have a great day!

Until next time!

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

xD...I wanted to break up the rapid stream of plans with a fun conversation here cause even the next couple of chapters will have a lot on that. I felt like a steady stream of plans would be boring :D Hmm, and I also did want to touch base on that particular concern, just to introduce some extra stakes for later ;)

Thanks again!!

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:46 pm
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

Wow, we missed the second plan! Like why the characters have to think and talk when something important is going on. Very inattentive characters! They have got to be attentive to succeed. Okay, now lecturing done, let's get into thw real review.

I don't know but I do feel that there was a slight gap between the previous part and this one which shouldn't be there. Maybe you can just add a dialogue tag in the first dialogue. I guess that can help a bit with the flow.

Again we are back to humorous things. I liked the fact that you managed to provide some important information about the aliens through such a funny conversation. Okay, so I didn't guess it very wrong. The aliens didn't fight much... Interesting! Maybe they will not torture the people left. I really hope so. More than that, I really hope that the Aliens don't plan something extraordinary before the escape itself. I get a sense of foreboding there.

Now Aria has got a chance to tease. :D we will see what she does.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

herb did your phone get the stomach bug too
— pearmint