z

Young Writers Society



deleted

by K1553


deleted


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm
sheysse wrote a review...



Hey there! Shey here for a review!

You said in your description that this is probably the most cliché thing you've written, and I will agree that it's cliché. However, it's still extremely enjoyable, and I ended up liking this piece a lot.

My first comment on it is something which the previous reviewer commented on. Exclamation points. They're used to show emphasis, but you don't want to overuse them. You have them when quoting a cry, and I think that was the most logical time to use them. The other times are really unnecessary, so you could probably get rid of them.

My other comment is on whitespace. This whole piece is located on the left side, with no line centered or on the right for emphasis. To be honest, it's somewhat boring. Whitespace is a poet's ally, so maybe try experimenting with it. Take advantage of it, because you can and should.

Overall, great piece! I really enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing more from you! Keep writing!

~Shey~




User avatar
265 Reviews


Points: 16
Reviews: 265

Donate
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:19 am
myjaspercat wrote a review...



Hey there K1553,
Myjaspercat here to review your piece

While idle fingers may not sow the devil’s seeds,Hmm, maybe you accidently placed the 'not' in this sentence, but if you didn't I think this is a pretty interesting start.
Through them the sands of time will truly pass.
And time, once gone, will ne’er retrace its steps
For all those men who weep and plea and ask. Stylistically, I would replace the first 'and' with a comma.

Pretty interesting start. It can go a couple ways.
            
Temptation seeks us, more often than not, you don't need the first comma.
To pass the days in comforting repose,
And barely move outside of our routines;
Minds sparkless, dry - most nearly comatose. With the bolded I cant tell/decide if you meant "sparkle-less" or "spark-less" either way, what you currently have is incorrect [grammatically].
       
I ask you then [to],remove comma get up! Go and rebel!I would leave the end of this sentence without any form of punctuation.
Against the ways that slaughter all our hope.
Stoke fire in the furnace of your heart!
Brave toil; rise above the steepest slope.
            
I ask you: Have you never had a dream?<-replace first question mark with a comma
The smallest fantasy that stirred your soul?
So Do not let it die! Stand up, and work!
Be the man that once was but your goal.
         
And do this not for others to cry,
“There goes that great man! Listen, and hark!”
Do this to give some meaning to your breath.
Make your existence yours, and leave your mark. I would suggest changing 'yours' to 'your own'

[...]


Ok, that was a pretty interesting poem but as you mentioned in the description, it was cliché. Since you were already aware of that, I'm going to leave you with a quick caveat: write what is your own because there are ideas we have seen over and over again that are now becoming boring. Show us something new, something original, something uniquely you.

Any way lets touch up on a few points:
1. Remove the extra space between the lines.

2. Remember, every line doesn't need punctuation and every line doesn't need to be capitalized. Think of it this way, if you were to put this into a paragraph, you wouldn't have randomly capitalized words in the middle of a sentence so do have them here.

3.Exclimation marks --- ! - This is an exclamation mark. It is used to show emphasis and--surprise--exclamation. However, use this sparingly, if at all. Overusing exclamation marks--especially more than one in succession ("!!!")--is about the easiest way you can indicate to your reader that you're an amateur, and possibly a thirteen year old texting about their crush.

Think of it this way: If an exclamation mark is used for emphasis, to draw a reader's attention to something out of all the rest of the story, then you're not really doing that if every other sentence has an exclamation mark.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I think you have a pretty sound poem, it just needs to be polished up a bit. Good job and good luck, continue writing. If you have any questions feel free to ask.





Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered