When It Wasn't Night

by Inferno

We laughed and bathed

in the rays of sunlight.

When the sky was blue,

when everything was alright.

The clouds refused to show their gray faces.

And so you and I were tight.

Everything was aces

when it wasn't night.

But then, when the atmosphere changed its hue,

when an army of darkness invaded the sky.

When thunder became the only sound I knew,

I screamed a distinctive cry.

Where, oh where. Where are you?

My heart is emptied and laid bare.

I've lost my life, my warmth, my sight.

How I miss the time when you were there,

the time when it wasn't night.

AmberMelanie wrote a review...

Inferno~
I really love what you have done with this poem. The imagery is immaculate! I love the line "the clouds refused to show their gray faces." This to me paints a picture of "gray" and empty feelings.
"When thunder became the only sound I knew." Wow! That is an amazing line. This poem is so heartbreaking, I love this line! It really captures the essence of the empty feeling the narrator is feeling. I love it so much.
~AmberMelanie

Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 am
St4rflow wrote a review...

Thank you for sharing this. It perfectly captures the feeling of emptiness and abandonment. I especially liked the metaphors you used...indeed, there is only darkness without light.

The last two lines struck me. Yes, there was a time, where the world was bright, when we were with those whom we love. I think this hurts much more when you yourself have experienced the joys of love and friendship, only for it to be taken away...

SylvanusGrace says...

Beautiful and strong poem. There is a strong contrast between day and night, between life and death. It really shows strength of death, life, love and separation. And yet, this time of day, of joy is hidden between the lines of sorrow, of emptiness. Thank you very much for sharing this poem!

Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:30 pm
solid says...

It's a very nice poem. It made me think of those who we love may leave us one day, which is no easy to accept. But I firmly believe all separations are for a better reuion.

I'd be a quote vigilante. A literary Batman. Someone had better be quoting me now!
— Feltrix