The Great Panic

by HGsomeone

A/N - If this isn’t going on in your country, google “toilet paper gate”

Also, Woolworths (aka Woolies) and Coles are both supermarkets in Australia

.........................................................................

When you go a strollin' into woolies,

There is an aisle all bare and clean.

There’s food to fill people’s bellies,

But no toilet roll to be seen.

People weren’t thinking straight, trust me!

This was after the drought, fires and flood.

So hearing about the virus across the sea,

For that paper they pushed and shoved.

Coles, well they're all empty too,

And the restocking has become delayed,

Meaning there’ll be no paper for the loo,

What a way to start the decade.

Gravitem wrote a review...

A simple and inspiring poem. None of the attributes being less than the other.

A good and well chosen situation to express your views on through a poem. A good use of day-to-day examples and an even better use of realism. You have made this poem as realistic and relatable as you could. As far as I can say, there is not much improvement to be done here. But I noticed that you informed the readers of what Woolies and Coles are. This was very good of you as you haven't caused the reader any inconvenience during their quiet read. Please keep writing about such struggles. It is poets like you that will be the informants of our time. Good job!

Keep writing :)

niteowl says...

Not a review but yep, this is happening in the US as well. I went to the grocery store yesterday and the bread and toilet paper aisles were completely gone. A lot of other stuff was picked over. Thankfully I panic-shopped a few weeks ago when I read it was a good idea to stock up, so I got toilet paper and a lot of other non perishables then. I mainly went for more yogurt, peanut butter, and some sauce for all the pasta I panic bought on the last trip (pasta is also pretty depleted now). Oh and junk food because I tend to go through that too fast.

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:37 am
AndName wrote a review...

Hi!

This is really relatable because where I live there's also not a roll of toilet paper to be seen. In any store, it's ridiculous.

The first 4 lines of this rhyme wonderfully, but the 4 middle lines between it and the last 4 is a bit strange. Unlike the others, it doesn't follow the same pattern, and sort of trips up the flow.

While 'flood' and 'shoved' kinda go together because of the o sounds, 'really' and 'sea' don't have the same sounds. In particular the 'really' stands out though that might just be because of the exclamation point.

I really like how relatable this poem is! I really thinking people are overreacting about a lot of things concerning the virus, especially the world wide TP outage lol. Great poem!

AndName

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:44 am
BhavyaMehta123 wrote a review...

Hi@HGsomeone. Honestly, I had no idea about this. Aisle of toilet paper are empty in Australia!
This is something shocking and which needs to be addressed.

Talking about your piece of work: It is short , simple and well written. I just like the last line.
Actually what a way to start the decade! I love how you have used satire in your poem in lines like: 'There is food to fill people's bellies, but no toilet paper roll to be seen' and of course last line full of satire.

I can actually feel you and people of Australia as I read this poem. I hope everything wraps up soon : "Toilet paper gate" and "COVID- 19"
I liked your work and would love to read more of it.
From: Bhavya

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:37 am
LadyMysterio says...

omg i love this

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 pm
IamI says...

Ha! I live in America and I know the feeling, people are crazy. might review this later.

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year