z

Young Writers Society



...

by QuoolQuo


...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 169
Reviews: 44

Donate
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:49 pm
IamI wrote a review...



Hello. This is my review.

Is there really a minister of sports in Australia? I don’t think there is here in the just okay U. S. Of A., if there is, I don’t know about him/her (which, considering most of the leadership here in America seems to make the news because they are complete nincompoops, I think I should be thankful that I don’t know). Starting with the good, this was a very funny satire with some excellent caricaturing reminiscent of political cartoons, I especially liked the how you portrayed the sports minister as a commentator, I also liked this little bit: “David groves, minister of agriculture, let out a small sob “not the agapanthus’s”” (sidenote: did you intentionally make his last name agriculture related?). There was another fine bit where you satirized how independents were treated: “the independents remained on the outskirts, walking [past] the hubbub as if it wasn’t there. It felt good to turn the tables for once.” I feel this could be made a little more clear and a little shorter though.

I will use that to transition into my negatives: for the sake of being a jerk I want to mention that you misspelled mic as mike, so I mentioned it just now. Most of my criticisms center around your description. First was a rather mini but slightly annoying one: “…dry clean only shirt” this isn’t really needed, and if you really wanted to keep this, you could probably just let us know through dialogue or thought. Another one in a similar vein is “the gaggle continues to goggle and squawk” my issue with this description is that it doesn’t tell us enough, this can easily be fixed though, just add in “the reporters” into the description. Another odd description is “ The commotion was drawing a larger number of spectators in the form of members of parliament”, this is very wordy I think it could use some reworking.

This was a good story and I hope to see more from you in the future.




QuoolQuo says...


Hey Hey and thanks for the review!
I mainly just wanted to comment on this review because I feel like someone finally noticed my little pun with the name 'groves' and that makes me quite pleased with myself. The sports minister's name was also a very obscure reference since there's this cricketer called David Warner and so yeah... I like puns and I feel no shame.



User avatar


Points: 198
Reviews: 4

Donate
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:52 pm
Theva says...



Hai!
I really like your story. Your imagination drives me into the new world.
It holds lots of emotions. Your story Visualize everything in front of me. I really appreciate your imagination level. I Really enjoy your short story.

It is very comical. No errors and no issues in your Story. Your short story Flashed like camera clicks. And splashed naturality here and there.

Vivid imagination......
I like very much about your presentation of the short story......
No Mistakes............
In short, awesome...




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 1940
Reviews: 109

Donate
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 am
Gnomish wrote a review...



Hello!

First off, a little typo here. "Camera's flashed..." If you mean more than one camera, it's written cameras.

"David Groves, minister for agriculture, let out a small sob. “Not the agapanthus’s.”"
I really like this line! Very funny.

I'm sorry this is such a short review, but I don't really have anything to say. Aside from a couple typos I don't see a problem with your writing, and the humour is definitely there in spades!
-Gnomish




User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 10344
Reviews: 125

Donate
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:49 am
ChrisCalaid wrote a review...



Hi H.G. I am here for a short review. But first I want to say this works is beautiful. And I learned something new about Australians.
Review:
“Oi! Mr Prime minister, why don’t you tell them how local health utilities are receiving a cut to help with this new renovation!”
'Mr Prime minister' is to be 'Mr. Prime minister' or 'Mister Prime minister'.
If you are using Mr you must put period after it.
And I just want to tell you some of the sentences are quite long. So I think you could shorten it up by divining in to sentences or finding a way to describe it in a shorter way.
Expect for that I think there no mistakes. Saying is easy but writing speeches are not.

No offence.
Thank you.


Keep on writing!
>Chris





Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse