z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Solaria - Arrival

by Apricity


Sola

Origin: Spanish

(She who is alone)

~~~

The corners of the photograph curled inwards , I smoothed my thumb over it. Though it was only given to me a week ago, it bore the appearance and texture of a long-loved photo. Outside, the sky was impossibly blue, a post-card blue that made me think of lush green tree tops and songbirds in the sky. Snow-capped mountains and storybook deers.

Several rows behind me, a baby cried out followed by the rushed hush of their mother. I wonder what it would be like to fly, freely in the air, through the clouds. If I opened my mouth, would I be able to feel its coolness down my throat? Or would it be like candyfloss? Soft and spongy.

"She's a lovely girl." The passenger beside me spoke, nodding her head at the photograph.

"Thank you." I smiled, since boarding the plane she had taken off her sunglasses and swapped it for a pair of normal glasses. I took in her neat white blouse and subtle make up, she had the intellectual air of a professor but her hands told another story. Those were hands beyond her age, rough and calloused. It stood out like a sharp angular stroke in an Impressionist painting.

"Who is that?" She asked shyly, "if it's not too personal." She amended again.

Should I tell her? It would take sometime explain the story, I glanced at the screen from my peripheral vision we still had five hours or so before we land. A conversation won't hurt.

"She reminds me a lot of my daughter," taking my silence as indecision, she spoke up again, eyes misting over as she recalled memories from the attics of her mind. "My little Fei looked just like her, especially with those eyes. So vibrant and filled with life." Her voice was warm, the words coming out of her mouth like warm sunlight across a frozen earth. She bowed her head in silence for several moments, I lay a gentle hand on her shoulders and squeezed it lightly.

She flashed me a grateful smile.

"This is my twin." I said, feeling that ridiculous surge of exhilaration in my bloodstream. The photo trembled lightly in my hands, "I'm finally going to meet her."

"You mean you haven't seen each other before?" The woman wiped at a corner of her eye, tilting her head to one side in curiosity.

"Our first time meeting, I'm very excited." I grinned, folding the photo in half and tucked it away in the front pocket of my shirt. I lay my two fingers over it and pressed it close against the skin of my breast. The woman opened her lips then closed it after some thought. She nodded politely and we each leaned back in our seats. Back into our own world and thoughts.

My twin.

These two words were foreign on my tongue, I've uttered them so many times that it had became an object of fervent praying. A dream come true in the most unlikely of circumstances, I've dreamt of this for years. And when my mother finally told me, showed me the birth certificate I was both indignant and amazed that there was someone else on the earth. Who looked like me, think like me, the other half of me.

I had been so angry at first that she had kept this a secret away from me all these years. Yet there had been clues scattered throughout my childhood, the enrolment of English classes since grade one despite any obvious reasons to. Her refusal to talk about my biological father, she wasn't hiding It. But merely saving it for the right time, the prepared time. And here I was, on the way to a dream that I've held on to for more than a decade.

And it's a scary thought, in fact it's a terrifying thought. When my mind manages to calm and still for a few seconds, my body would freeze up in response. It's like anticipating for Christmas, the gnawing curiosity and excitement of what Santa will bring. You crept downstairs like you do every Christmas, expecting the expected yet this time. Except this time, you see the unexpected and the shock seizes you like a noose. By the time you've loosened it, Santa had already disappeared and everything was left as it Is.

Then you wonder if it had been all a dream, a manifestation of your desperate fantasies.

"-Airport. The local time is 19:07 pm and the temperature is 21 degrees Celsius. For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seatbelt sign-"

The flight attendant's voice slapped me into sharp reality, I shook my head, clearing the mental fog away. What was I worrying about, everything was going to be fine. The view from the window was breathtaking, a reflected constellation of the night sky, the lights pulsed with a mesmerising rhythm. The glass cool against my cheek.

I was here.

At last.

-873 words


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
133 Reviews


Points: 1053
Reviews: 133

Donate
Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:56 am
View Likes
ShakespeareWallah wrote a review...



I used to play a drinking game. I don’t know if I can call it a drinking game since it wasn’t alcohol I drank, but it went something like this: Every time someone wonders why they couldn’t just fly somewhere far away, I take a sip. Every time a shiver runs down someone’s spine, I take a sip. Every time there is a witty but irrelevant epigraph at the start, I take a sip. Connections are fun. Being able to recognize the rhythms,certain structures of a particular story more so.

I’ve read of children who pretend to have twins or body doubles or clones. I don’t know if they actually do, since I’ve never encountered any professing to do so. I never did. I’ve known two sets of twins and one set of triplets in my life. I’ve met them all in school. Of the triplets, two of them attend my school and they are so nice I want to kiss them. They’re different from each other, they claim. But both never fail to ask me how I am doing whenever they see me. Both feel some sorta untoward need to “help” me with my school work, listen to my ramblings on love, loneliness and connections as if what I’m saying has some profound meaning and they can’t possibly miss out on that. In Murakami’s Pinball, 1973 the narrator seems really perplexed with the set of twins who one day just starts living with him. He could not distinguish them apart. They were “alike in every respect” from expressions to hair styles to the things they ate or the times they slept. They even had their periods at the same time. When the girls found out he couldn’t tell them apart, they were furious. “We’re total opposites!” they shout, which shuts him up so he shrugs.

I feel as if twins have this “fear” of being seen as a copy. Each claims to be the original document, accusing the other of being carbon. When their likes and dislikes and behavior end up being similar, they find themselves shocked and want to deliberately steer away from committing those “acts”. With me, someone who does not have a twin, it’s something else. I never suspected I had a secret twin, but I always dreamt of what it’d be like to have one. Because I for one had enough of being myself and wanted to be the forgotten among the two, I wanted to be the smart one of the two, the “planner” while my other version would be the “doer”. And I’d be a hotshot writer of autofiction and he’d illustrate my book covers with postmodern designs.

Remember you once linked me a Lithub article Murakami wrote on how he started writing? There was this line, I don’t remember much about it, where he said he didn’t worry about having beautiful phrases or try having a “pull” as some sentences have for effects. He didn’t need those. Unnecessarily chopping down sentences do not create depth. Hemingway’s stilted way of writing, a cheap imitation of Stephen Crane, is annoying. Naturalistic styles of narratives are more interesting.

Twins in stories are so fun to read, I don’t even know what I expect of them, but I love reading about them. I do not like reading twin stories where the kids are hilariously opposites of each other. Something TV has done already on too many occasions to maybe illustrate some stupid adage only they’d get. There’s nothing wrong with being alike.

The triplets told me this story during recess once. When they were kids, some aunt came by the house and taught them this game where they’d pretend to be each otherfor long stretches of time. One time they were doing that their mother called them for dinner and they forgot to formally end the game as they had done on previous occasions and happily sat down at the table. They laugh now at this. “So there’s a possibility, however slim, you three have led one of the other’s lives,” I say. They shrug. (Funnily enough, something similar happens in Marquez’s “One Hundred Years of Solitude”. Connections, lol.)
I like this chapter a lot, it’s neat, the narrative’s leaner yet has “juice”, the whole plane scene was lovely, the santaclaus bit was nice—I don’t think I had anything interesting to say about this chp. I had to bullshit my way through the whole review so that I could get full points. Sorry about that.




User avatar
260 Reviews


Points: 15020
Reviews: 260

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:53 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops wrote a review...



Hello again! Back for more :)

Okay, so this feels very different to the previous chapter. Which, in itself, is not a bad thing. Shows you can create different narrative voices (ooh, look at me using Lit terms) that are clearly distinct. It felt like a really, really big jump though, from the first chapter (not what I was expecting, that's for sure), and I couldn't really see any links between the two chapters at all. They feel like different stories, in a number of ways.

I'm kind of getting the feeling that reading this story in such a disjointed way is, especially for this story, not going to be the most... well, I don't think it's a very natural way to read a story, and it probably doesn't do anyone any favours. Because at the moment, I can't comment on how this fits into the story as a whole, so I'm just going to treat it on its own for now.

Just like your previous chapter, the descriptions were awesome. I'm getting the feeling I'm in capable hands in that department.

That said, as nice as the description of the sky and all the things that it reminded your MC of, it did kind of make the revelation that this was set on a plane come as a little bit of a surprise. I feel like I'm being really nitpicky, but I think there needed to be a few more clues about setting, to improve the sense of place, which was also a bit of an issue in the previous chapter. Because I found the mention of the baby in the row behind them a little odd. Little clues are what you need, just to add that stronger sense of setting.

Maybe it's the brevity of the chapter that highlighted this, but I didn't quite get a feeling for your MC's (I'm not sure if you mentioned her name or not?) personality. It's a bit too early to call her underdeveloped or anything like that, but I didn't really get any particularly strong vibes about her, which, even in a first chapter, I'd have liked to have seen. Her wondering about flying is good, but as a character, she hasn't quite pulled me in yet.

Very enjoyable to read, any questions, you know the drill. Looking forward to chapter 3!




Apricity says...


Thank you again Sarah! XD. I do want to have distinctive voices so I'm glad that worked out, and right now. It would seem like they're two separate stories, however. They will interact in the next chapters or so. Sola and Rhia are twins that's going to meet each other, and of course you are right about the setting. I will watch out for these in future edits.

Thank you again!



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1025
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:59 am
roeckercody wrote a review...



I very much enjoy this piece, As Labrador does. This does flow very nicely and It leaves me wanting more and more and more. I need more. It is a necessity. I would repeat myself until I know you get my point, but I'm sure you understand.

The concept isn't anything too original, but the way I could see yhis going has great potential to be original. Ilike your ideas and the concept, despite the unoriginality. Twins being separated is a tough thing and one difficult to deal with in the situation. I would love to here about the actual finding out and how she reacted as I imagine it was probably a very intense reaction.

I am anticipating more writing from you. I wish I had a lot of critiques, but I dont because this is a solid pieceof writing.I think you have ppotential to become a great writer that I could grow to love.

Please write more to this. I guess, you could work on not repeating the same information too many times. You have habit of saying something and expanding on it. Which is usually good but can be excessive if you do it too much.

Anyways, I liked this!
Continue Writing!
- Cody :)




Apricity says...


Thanks for the review, Cody!



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:48 am
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey! I'm here to review for Review Day!

I have nothing much to critique about this piece. It flows well, the story is interesting. I think you've captured the atmosphere and setting well with the dialogues naturally delivered. I do have some nitpicks though.

"Thank you." I smiled, since boarding the plane she had taken off her sunglasses and swapped it for a pair of normal glasses.


Okay, I'm a strong supporter of putting in necessary information in a story. After the word "smiled", I don't think it's necessary to explain the action. If you just want to say the lady used a pair of normal glasses, just go straight to it. It's a bit wordy here.

I smiled to the lady who wore a different set of glasses, normal glasses.


Next:

"Who is that?" She asked shyly, "if it's not too personal."


So, yeah. If I break this one, it would be: "Who is that?" / She asked shyly, "if it's not too personal." There are two ways to go with this. It's either:

"Who is that?" she asked shyly. "If it's not too personal."


and this one (which I think was what you were trying to aim for since it had more flow:

"Who is that?" she asked shyly, "if it's not too personal."


Either way, don't capitalize the word "she". Now, the last one:

She bowed her head in silence for several moments, I lay a gentle hand on her shoulders and squeezed it lightly.


That is all from me. To be honest, when I once read this piece, I thought it would be a novel. There is not enough explanation that is required in a short story. It does not stand on its own. I cannot really feel the narrator's feelings. I want to know more about his twin and the exact things that happened that separated them both. I think that a bit more explanation would suffice, you know, to actually complete the story.

I take it back. This one is under the novel category so it must be a chapter of it. My bad. I still dunno which chapter it is, so please be clearer next time! xD




Apricity says...


Hey Labrador, thanks for the review. I didn't clarify which chapter it is because if you look on the right hand side, all the chapters are ordered in sequential order. So this would be the second chapter. Thanks again!




Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan