Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Realistic

How Was Your Day? - Chapter 11.2

by Querencia

Finnley had never seen Mia in such a state, and it broke his heart. She was always so sure of herself, never having regrets or poor decisions. This was a completely different person, but she was still the same. Finnley cared for her no matter what, though, whether she was on top of the world or being crushed beneath it.

Mia finally stopped shaking with tears, and Finnley carefully let go of her. "Are you okay?" he asked, his eyes searching her face intently. She nodded slowly and sniffed one last time.

"I'll be fine. There's just one more bit I have to say." Mia took a deep breath, in and then out again. "Her brother's leg- something was wrong with it, something other than the break. Somehow, it got infected, but they didn't notice it until it was too late. They ended up... they had to take his leg. He has a prosthetic one now. It took all that her parents had to pay for it- I'd never noticed that they were struggling before then.

"It was never the same again, between us. No matter how I tried to make it up, there are some things that just can't be made up. Eventually, I stopped trying. We settled into a frosty standoffishness, which soon fell once again into rivalry. We've been edging around each other for years, and she's finally tried to take a stab at me again. Through you."

Mia looked long at Finnley, her dark eyes bright with unshed tears. Finnley took one of her hands in his, and stared right back at her. "You know we can't strike back at her," he said fervently. "You know we've got to let her get her anger out. We can't cause any more damage."

"I know," Mia replied quietly, looking down at her pale blue socks. "I know that. I think I always have. But sometimes, when I see her in school, staring me down, it's hard not to fight back. And that's how we've gotten to the place where we are."

Finnley looked at his watch and jumped. "And the place where we are right now is your house, when we should be at school!" he cried.

"What?" Mia asked, confused, though she was already pulling herself to her feet.

"Four minutes until school starts!" he yelled, leaping off the couch. He snatched his backpack from the ground and Mia charged up the stairs. And just like that, they were back. Ten seconds later, Finnley threw open the front door and the pair of them sprinted to school, sliding into the front hall with thirty seconds left.

Mia gave Finnley a mock salute and a grin. "See you on the other side, Finn."

He raised a hand in reply. "I'll see you," he said, breathless. Then they skidded into their respective classes. Finnley landed in his seat in the middle of the classroom with ten seconds to spare. The teacher still gave him a disapproving shake of the head, but Finnley was all smiles. He'd done it. Even Sylvie's overwhelming presence couldn't throw him off now.

Sylvie had clearly seen the change in Finnley and guessed what had happened, for she hung back in all of their shared classes. It seemed like a retreat, but instead of advancing himself, he considered how he could talk to her alone and explain. Maybe not fix things, for he wasn't sure that anything ever could, but at least come to a peaceful agreement. And besides, there was something about the story of her brother that plucked at his memory...

At lunch, it was back to just Finnley and Mia, and he was never so grateful for that. Sylvie and her gaggle of girls shot them glares from across the lunchroom, but they didn't care. Finnley did, however, keep an eye out for Monica. Where was she? He wanted to thank her for what she had said the day before.

"Hey," Mia said, nudging him with an elbow. "Aren't you going to ask what color my dress is?"

Finnley blinked, trying to take in the sudden change in topic. "Dress?" he asked, mentally flailing.

Mia rolled her eyes and bit into her apple with some kind of casual grace. "Homecoming. Remember? Yes, yes, we've got the plan, but what am I supposed to do, leave the house in a t-shirt? Then our ruse would be discovered!"

Finnley nodded. Of course, that made sense. He just hadn't thought through the details yet. "Oh. Yeah. Why do I need to know the color?"

Mia rolled her eyes again, this time so violently that Finnley worried they would roll right out of her head. "Finnley," she said slowly, staring him down. "Have ever been to a school dance before?"

Finnley's grimace was all the more answer she needed to hear. She went into full instruction mode. "Right then. We need to make sure our cover is complete. Since we would theoretically be going as a couple, we have to match outfits. So, you buy a tie the color of my dress. Alright? Can we do this?"

"Right. Yes. We can do this," Finnley said, with more confidence than he truly felt.

"Good!" Mia said, leaning back in satisfaction. "My dress is red, by the way."

"I'll make sure I match for the sake of appearances, then," Finnley said with a smile, picking at his sandwich. "My mom is going to want to take so many pictures."

Mia laughed at that. "She totally will. We're going to have trouble keeping her off our backs after this. Next she'll want us to get married!"

Finnley practically choked on his water, which just made Mia laugh harder. She was nearly crying. "You should see your face!" she crowed. "Ha!"

"I don't trust you and your schemes, that's all," Finnley said once he recovered. "My mom could say we'd be perfect for each other and you'd agree just so you could steal Rory to yourself."

"That's true," Mia said, considering. "Though, you might actually get angry at me. Maybe I'm better off just marrying the rabbit instead of you."

That made them both laugh again, and Finnley smiled. It was good to have Mia back again. The plan was in place, and everything was going to go well. 

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:36 am
BlueAfrica wrote a review...

WHAT I didn't review this one yet? OOPS.

This is what I get for reading a bunch of stuff but not reviewing it right away.

ANYWAY.

I got super preoccupied with this.

I thought maybe I was wrong, but isn't this AFTER school? I even went back to the previous chapter to check, and yeah, it definitely sounds like Finn goes to Mia's house AFTER school to see what the heck's up with her. But it doesn't sound like they fall asleep or anything, so there's no time skip anywhere (that I noticed).

I love this backstory about Mia so much. I know I mentioned it in the last chapter, but seriously. The fact that we've got this girl-girl rivalry, but for once it's not about one of them being more popular/more pretty/more mean - it's about their personalities being too competitive, and an accident ruining their friendship. But not the "oh, it was just a misunderstanding" accident - I mean, of COURSE Mia didn't mean for this to happen, but it really did happen, and it's a Big Deal. I can actually sympathize with Sylvie a lot - no wonder she's trying to hurt Mia, is this the kind of thing you could just let go of? Forgive and forget? Not most of us, no. Holy cow.

And yet, at the same time, I love Mia so much that it's impossible for me to be angry with her or whatever. It helps that she told Finn everything straight, everything, and didn't make excuses or somehow turn it around so it's all Sylvie's fault, really. She knows she did something really bad, even though she didn't mean to do it. It doesn't stop her from hurting when Sylvie tries to get at her, but she owns up to her actions, and I really appreciate that.

It's just one of the most unexpected and interesting "why these two girls aren't friends anymore" backstories I've ever read. And I think putting the biggest wrong in the fault of Mia, instead of Sylvie, was just a fascinating move. I'm curious to see how else this plays out within the story - I hope it'll come up again somehow.

Querencia says...

Thanks for the review! Yeah, the timing has been bothering me a lot on this one; in the last chapter, everything happened at school, so of course I wanted Finnley to go talk to Mia right after. Then I remembered he has a job, so instead of pushing the confrontation later in the evening, I just pushed it to the next morning. I might move it back to evening or something, I'm not really sure yet. And I'm really happy you love the rivalry! For me, I really just needed them to have something real and grounded to be mad over, so that their actions were kind of justified. Besides, I can't see Mia dying over trying to be more popular than Sylvie anyway. XD Anyway, I'm glad you think that I did a good job with it! :) (See you next chapter hehe)

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Heyo! :D

So what happened to Sylvie's brother is so awful. I can totally understand how Sylvie will come to hate Mia because of it, no matter how much Mia tries to make up. Maybe even Sylvie doesn't hate her anymore, I don't think they can be friends anymore. I'm not sure Sylvie's parents will want Sylvie to hang out with a girl who caused their son's leg to have a horrible incident.

Finnley's comment sounds very, very contrived as to form a moment when the characters realize they have to go to school. To me, the transition from talking mode to going-to-school mode feels rather rough and I think a little polishing-up there would help.

Right now we haven't seen anything supernatural in a while and I think that it may be nice to see one and to renew the real reason they're heading off to see Uncle Fred, right? I know that talking about Sylvie and Mia's wrecked relationship IS important, but a small hint later could bolster their determination.

It was so funny to read their conversation at lunch. Especially the banter about Finnley's Mom and Rory. It's funny to read them joking about being a couple like Finnley's mom is excited about while they're gonna run off after Mia's uncle xD. I'm enjoying this a ton and I'll be there soon to check out 12.1 :)

Querencia says...

Thank you for the review! I think the reason why it's so abrupt there is because I wrote it in two parts instead of all in one go, and the break was right where you mentioned. XD I'll definitely work on smoothing it! Also, the reason for the lack of supernatural is because I wanted it to feel as if there was kind of "danger on all sides", with stuff happening at school as well as the supernatural stuff. I wanted it to feel like they're still just teenagers with high school drama and such. I'll keep in mind, though, that I should keep them on track with the real reason behind the homecoming disguise. :) And you'd better enjoy this "normal" break, because supernatural stuff is coming back 12.2!! I'm way too ready for this haha. <3 Thanks again!

PrincessInk says...

Ah, yes, I understand about the fact about mixing in the realistic stuff. I'm wondering if some day both things will get mixed up into a Big Mess, because in case somebody who has no idea of this gets mixed up into this supernatural business???
I'm excited for 12.2 as well! :D

Querencia says...

Well, the Mess is progressively getting bigger... ;) :D

Memento homo, quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris (Remember, man, that you are dust, and you will return to dust)
— Genesis 3:19